Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Fauxtool posted:

So what even happened. Did he break something or just have some dead parts?

Highlights

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182858529&postcount=2221

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Maybe build something cheap first just to try it out? Jesus. Or be able to swap parts first? Is that the first time the guy had ever touched computer components?

e: in all fairness it took me like 3 days to get my first build to POST. I didn't break anything though :v:

Also is that stream 13 hours? :psyduck:

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Oct 25, 2015

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Not as bad as the old AMD Athlon heatsink clip days where if you weren't careful your screwdriver would slide off and punish the mobo.

I remember chipping the die on an Athlon XP once with a big fuckoff Thermaltake copper heatsink. The CPU got so hot it burned the writing on the cpu in to the copper! :haw:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Fauxtool posted:

So what even happened. Did he break something or just have some dead parts?

Pretty sure he broke everything. The sound when he rips the videocard out makes me sad. He broke the clip off of the PCIe slot that secures the card in. Watch that part here: http://www.twitch.tv/likebutterlive/v/22257632?t=12h39m19s

[edit] Oh nevermind, seems he got it to POST just fine. Lol, what a lucky piece of poo poo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Oct 25, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Prescription Combs posted:

Not as bad as the old AMD Athlon heatsink clip days

Oh Christ gently caress those things. When I finally updated to an AM2 it was a complete revelation. "Wait, I can install a heatsink without struggling to push a steel band into place while praying I don't impale the motherboard? Awesome!" :haw:

Also the three days it took me to get the computer right were not solid days of dicking with the computer. It was mostly, assemble, oh poo poo I need something else, go to store, try again. Also we had only one computer and no smartphones so just Googling for answers wasn't happening.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The English professor rambling about Gamergate in the background just makes the whole thing, gathering of morons.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Panty Saluter posted:

Yes, people actually went to bed and woke up 7 hours later and he was still building his pc.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Prescription Combs posted:

Not as bad as the old AMD Athlon heatsink clip days where if you weren't careful your screwdriver would slide off and punish the mobo.

I remember chipping the die on an Athlon XP once with a big fuckoff Thermaltake copper heatsink. The CPU got so hot it burned the writing on the cpu in to the copper! :haw:

loving lord, these taught me to baby EVERYTHING inside the case with kid gloves. I still get a little OCD when building and do poo poo all granny-slow so nothing drops too far or gets forced in. Almost had a panic attack delidding my i5 but it all worked out, still running like a champ :shobon:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Panty Saluter posted:

Maybe build something cheap first just to try it out? Jesus. Or be able to swap parts first? Is that the first time the guy had ever touched computer components?

e: in all fairness it took me like 3 days to get my first build to POST. I didn't break anything though :v:

If you have 2500 to spend, maybe also spend the additional 50 or 80 bucks it is to have some company do the assembly for you.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Biggest human being Ever posted:

If you have 2500 to spend, maybe also spend the additional 50 or 80 bucks it is to have some company do the assembly for you.

Eh, I'm not against people learning new things, and "If you're not good at it right away you shouldn't even try" is a bullshit attitude. I'm just saying start cheap to minimize risk.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

That makes me feel much better about building a $2,000 workstation PC from boxes to first boot in a little under 2 hours.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Heh, I remember 15 years ago, my first build not working for a week because after getting all the parts together, the system would power on but would never get to the drive formatting software in the 1.44" drive. My 'experienced' friends were stumped and didn't want to bother helping me troubleshoot.

Finally on a hunch, I stuck the drive formatting floppy disk in my parents' PC, and boom, the disk was corrupt. Made a new drive formatting boot floppy, system worked like a charm and I was up and running Windows 98 in a couple hours. Going from my parents' Pentium 120 MHz to an Athlon 800 MHz was pretty sweet.

Moral of the story, don't rely on your dumbass friends, DIY that poo poo.

e: Still though, 13 hours? Modern systems aren't even that complicated!

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 25, 2015

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Space Racist posted:

e: Still though, 13 hours? Modern systems aren't even that complicated!

Yeah it's like ten cables, a cpu, a gpu, and a couple sticks of ram. You've got to be functionally retarded to need more than like 5 hours. Including taking a long lunch break.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

The hardest thing these days I find is the heatsink installation - we may have moved on from worrying about putting a screwdriver through the motherboard trying to get that drat clip locked down, but now we have coolers bigger than your head with limited space in the case to work in.

Also, those loving headers for power, reset, status lights, etc. The USB headers and Audio headers for the front panel are all a single block yet we still have to plug in single pins for the power button and reset button, etc.

Pain in the arse.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
poo poo, you don't even have to set jumpers anymore. That takes forever just because the little bastards are so fiddly :v:

Dead Goon posted:

Also, those loving headers for power, reset, status lights, etc. The USB headers and Audio headers for the front panel are all a single block yet we still have to plug in single pins for the power button and reset button, etc.

Yeah, hasn't that been standard forever? Or if it isn't, why not? One big multipin plug would be so much better.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Dead Goon posted:

The hardest thing these days I find is the heatsink installation - we may have moved on from worrying about putting a screwdriver through the motherboard trying to get that drat clip locked down, but now we have coolers bigger than your head with limited space in the case to work in.

Pain in the arse.

gently caress those little power and reset button things

Never build a mini itx system with a full size gfx card

So loving tiny and cramped. Not worth the hours fitting together a puzzle box case

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dead Goon posted:

to get that drat clip locked down,

Jesus christ people its not that hard. You make sure the clip is turned the correct way. and you push it through. Every one of these i see done wrong people are always loving with turning the clips the wrong way.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Malcolm XML posted:

So loving tiny and cramped. Not worth the hours fitting together a puzzle box case
Disagree. It's awesome.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Nobody said it was hard just that there was a non-zero chance of your screwdriver slipping and ruining your motherboard. It was a stupid method of retention and I'm glad it's gone.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Panty Saluter posted:

Nobody said it was hard just that there was a non-zero chance of your screwdriver slipping and ruining your motherboard. It was a stupid method of retention and I'm glad it's gone.

I assumed he meant the intel stock cooler

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Don Lapre posted:

Jesus christ people its not that hard. You make sure the clip is turned the correct way. and you push it through. Every one of these i see done wrong people are always loving with turning the clips the wrong way.

I don't think he's talking about the modern Intel stock heatsink retention method, I believe he's referring to the old school style:

Edit: although I will say something about that friggin' stock Intel pushpin cooler - once the cooler has been seated, removing it and refitting it after a good amount of time is a total pain in the rear end, because the plastic has splayed outwards.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 25, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Don Lapre posted:

I assumed he meant the intel stock cooler

The plastic pushpins? Yeah they aren't great but they're worlds ahead of Socket A's bullshit.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Malcolm XML posted:

I've done this 3 times now and I've had no issues. Used a CM Elite 130 for each build with a Radeon 7850, R270x, and a GTX 970. Each PC never took me more than an hour to have it up and running.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

That was what I was rather tongue-in-cheek referring to - there has been chat on the forums recently about AMD cooler nightmares involving screwdrivers and I found it rather amusing to reminisce.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Malcolm XML posted:

gently caress those little power and reset button things

I put a G1 980Ti in my Node 304. That was actually fun to figure out. It's all about component selection, i.e. <160mm modular PSU, bendable/short SATA/power cables, etc etc.

On an unrelated note:

EDIT - The following link is getting flagged as a shite site, so click at your own risk.

Just found out that NVIDIA has crappy power draw at high refresh rates, apparently it's a known Maxwell issue. As a 980Ti owner, this is pretty disappointing. :(

980Ti

Fury X

Odette fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Oct 26, 2015

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Odette posted:

I put a G1 980Ti in my Node 304. That was actually fun to figure out. It's all about component selection, i.e. <160mm modular PSU, bendable/short SATA/power cables, etc etc.

On an unrelated note:

Just found out that NVIDIA has crappy power draw at high refresh rates, apparently it's a known Maxwell issue. As a 980Ti owner, this is pretty disappointing. :(

980Ti

Fury X

Wow, that's weird. I thought Maxwell drew far less than FuryX under most situations but that doesn't seem to be the case?

Also why is PC Perspectives flagged as an attack site?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Nvidia cards clock down less at idle with higher refresh rate monitors. It is annoying you have to do it, but you can fix it with Nvidia Inspector by changing the idle power state.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Panty Saluter posted:

Wow, that's weird. I thought Maxwell drew far less than FuryX under most situations but that doesn't seem to be the case?

Also why is PC Perspectives flagged as an attack site?

BECAUSE OF ALL THESE SICK BURNS, OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(j/k, I have no idea. Bad ad?)

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

BECAUSE OF ALL THESE SICK BURNS, OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

(j/k, I have no idea. Bad ad?)

Wait, there are ads on the internet? :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I once put the end of a screwdriver directly through a mobo and was able to return it for a free replacement after going in and playing the dumb white guy, I brought in two different mice and explained that I tried starting it with both mice but nothing worked and I think the product was bad. NCIX.com is an amazing place.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Related to that Nvidia power draw thing, I'd like to know what kind of difference you'd get between a 144 Hz monitor and a 165 Hz monitor. Is it even noticeable?

I mean, the difference between 60 and 144 Hz is night and day, but that's a 140% increase in refresh rate. 144 to 165 is only 18%.

Also yeah NCIX rocks for support. Pricing can be a bit bunk sometimes though.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Kazinsal posted:

Related to that Nvidia power draw thing, I'd like to know what kind of difference you'd get between a 144 Hz monitor and a 165 Hz monitor. Is it even noticeable?

I mean, the difference between 60 and 144 Hz is night and day, but that's a 140% increase in refresh rate. 144 to 165 is only 18%.

Also yeah NCIX rocks for support. Pricing can be a bit bunk sometimes though.

Supposedly your ability to perceive high framerates kinda tops out at around 83hz? Though I'm pretty sure there hasn't really been any conclusive studies done.

Also apparently because of how eyes work and weird persistence of vision poo poo, if you run games at super high framerates it actually has an effect of looking less aliased.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

Hz - Response Time (mS)
60 - 16.667
120 - 8.333
144 - 6.944
165 - 6.060

It's pretty much diminishing returns after 120ish, I'd say.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Odette posted:

On an unrelated note:

980Ti

Fury X

I got an evga 980 ti and a 240 mm rad into an ncase it's a super tight squeeze

All Sfx psus are poo poo though

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

Yeah it's like ten cables, a cpu, a gpu, and a couple sticks of ram. You've got to be functionally retarded to need more than like 5 hours. Including taking a long lunch break.

I put together my friends computer in about 15 minutes. This included cable management, finding screws, and finding a pair of pliers to remove some stand offs in the case.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Panty Saluter posted:

Wait, there are ads on the internet? :v:

Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. Also, are you sure you're going to pcper.com and not some biter malware site?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Just because you can't see them doesn't mean they don't exist. Also, are you sure you're going to pcper.com and not some biter malware site?

I clicked the same link everyone else in this thread did. Mellow out.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Panty Saluter posted:

This is a known "issue" and according to NVidia it's "working as intended" because for some unfathomable reason NVidia believes that top-end GPUs need to run at ~1000Mhz in order to push that 121st frame, and/or that third monitor. In reality a 980/Ti is quite happy pushing multiple 144Hz desktops at like 135Mhz.

Also, those are "idle" (not quite idle for the Ti, but still) power numbers. Load up a game and those Fury numbers skyrocket.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

Yeah, hasn't that been standard forever? Or if it isn't, why not? One big multipin plug would be so much better.

My Asus mainboard had some kind of adapter-thing. So you could plug all the little cables into it, then plug the whole thing into the mainboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

^ Those things are a godsend. Every mobo should come with them.