Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

is that stuff actually implemented? it wasn't, last I heard (some months ago)

When you lose a tank they put you in a different one. But thats about the extent of it I saw. Its a fun game, without some progression though I feel like im doing the same thing over and over a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

There are refit periods where you unit is taken out of action for a week or so and you are given the option to switch to a new tank. The tank offered is randomly selected unless you pick a certain option.

Refit periods are about every month or so. Here is the combat calendar from Patton's Best, he should be roughly following this still.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

There are refit periods where you unit is taken out of action for a week or so and you are given the option to switch to a new tank. The tank offered is randomly selected unless you pick a certain option.

Refit periods are about every month or so. Here is the combat calendar from Patton's Best, he should be roughly following this still.

Ahh I was about a day or two shy of getting to the first refit. Gonna start another game and get a cool new tank.

Is it possible to advance to the exit twice in a day if you really rush or is it not possible?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I've done it a handful of times in early versions where I got lucky,saw very little combat, and had maps generate useful and straight-forward roads.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I've done it a handful of times in early versions where I got lucky,saw very little combat, and had maps generate useful and straight-forward roads.

I also wonder if artillery striking every town and capturing it would net you more VP than getting to the end on a village-heavy map.

Also whats the best tactic against hidden enemies? I kind of just drive around feeling useless.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

If its a relatively "safe" enemy, I'll usually just maneuver to try to expose it. If its something dangerous, I just stay put or try to get hull down (if I'm not already) and wait for it to either come out on its own or friendlies to kill it.

The way I play the game, job #1 is to stay alive, destroying the enemy is secondary to that objective.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

If its a relatively "safe" enemy, I'll usually just maneuver to try to expose it. If its something dangerous, I just stay put or try to get hull down (if I'm not already) and wait for it to either come out on its own or friendlies to kill it.

The way I play the game, job #1 is to stay alive, destroying the enemy is secondary to that objective.

I had a AT weapon appear at point blank and gib me midway through a fight. Do new enemies spawn or was I not scanning properly?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The last time I played Armored Commander, I made it 17 missions without even getting hit once, and even coming in positive VP wise every time.

Then, on the first battle of the 18th mission, some infantry reinforced and headshot my commander before I had a chance to button down, instant game over. War is hell.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
it's a shame that the player's faction is USA, with the most boring tanks of the war.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

I beat Brogue for the first time! I just pumped all of my enchantment scrolls into a staff of lighting and blasted everything I saw, and that got me all the way to the amulet and back. Also I found a +3 ring of wisdom.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

SnowblindFatal posted:

it's a shame that the player's faction is USA, with the most boring tanks of the war.

I disagree with this characterization

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

The last time I played Armored Commander, I made it 17 missions without even getting hit once, and even coming in positive VP wise every time.

Then, on the first battle of the 18th mission, some infantry reinforced and headshot my commander before I had a chance to button down, instant game over. War is hell.

This would give me some real rogue-rage

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
Trying to beat Shifting Passages as a Bloodmage is starting to get really old. I usually use Gnome with Binlor's altar prepped (plus a whole bunch of extra stuff), but I feel like I'm missing something because the furthest I've got is Evolvia at about half health. Any tips?

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
Been getting back into RLs and The Ground Gives Way is -really- slick and a flippin' blast.
For a game that only uses three letter keys+arrow keys+ 0-9 keys, it has a surprising amount of depth.

On another run, I was punching things with my fists and found a pair of woolen gloves and when equipped it brought my nonlethal damage down to 0, because hey, my punches are just too soft and comfy to hurt anything.

Also panic drinking rando potions in an attempt to save myself from a nasty frost toad, and getting a potion of milk which simply increases your food by 1.
Well +1 food is normally nice, but if you are full up on food, you can't drink or eat anything else and food is only brought down when you rest or manage to stupidly drink an oil potion. So I ended up a very full meatcicle for the toad to munch on.

The systems are really clean and easy to understand, it rewards learning how to avoid enemies because hey you don't magically get strong by beating up rats, and for the most part every hit you take just feels -fair-. I seriously suggest taking a look at this if you've never played it. Victory runs take at most an hour, the controls are piss easy to learn, and I swear there is always something new to encounter even 50+ runs deep.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was trying to advance 2 zones in battle mode and i was gonna make it untill a random field gave me a battle that got to -71 vp before a shell exploded my commander and ended my misery.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
This is probably the best place to ask, considering it's arguably a roguelike: Does anybody know what happened to the Gearhead games? Thought of it when I heard of the Battletech kickstarter but apparently the website is down and I can't seem to find information on what happened to that game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Isaac posted:

I had a AT weapon appear at point blank and gib me midway through a fight. Do new enemies spawn or was I not scanning properly?

Yes, one of the end-turn random events is new enemies joining the fight. I think a few updates back he limited the number of times this event can trigger though.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Randler posted:

This is probably the best place to ask, considering it's arguably a roguelike: Does anybody know what happened to the Gearhead games? Thought of it when I heard of the Battletech kickstarter but apparently the website is down and I can't seem to find information on what happened to that game.

Several failed reboots and idk what's up with the website. The forums are still up, albeit with registration disabled due to spam forever ago, and the games themselves are still hosted on known malware distributor Sourceforge.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 23, 2015

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Gearhead was one of those games that had a lot of potential but just didn't quite get there. It didn't help that je scrapped the first game to basically remake it as the second, and as many such projects go it died horribly. It's a cautionary tale for roguelike and video game devs, really. That and don't try to write a brand new language to remake your game in. RIP.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Speaking of which, has the Incursion guy posted any progress at all?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Angry Diplomat posted:

Speaking of which, has the Incursion guy posted any progress at all?

The original dev (Julian Mensch) who publically announced that he would no longer work on the game and then open-sourced it?

Or the new guy (Richard Tew) who's been maintaining the current version?

AFAIK the first guy hasn't touched it for years. The second guy has been pretty active, but has been working mostly on behind-the-scenes stuff including lots of bugfixes. Although it looks like his bitbucket hasn't had a commit since September.

e: And there's a spiffy new website, which includes a link to the latest builds.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I've been playing DoomRL.

Can someone just tell me how to get the Dragonslayer? I've tried all kinds of poo poo and now I'm just getting frustrated by the injokes about a game that hasn't been updated in 2 years. (:smith:)

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
i'm pretty sure you just have to be berserk to pick it up.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

andrew smash posted:

i'm pretty sure you just have to be berserk to pick it up.

There's also some requirement that makes it show up as the drop at the end of the Unholy Cathedral, IIRC. I'm not sure what that is exactly, but it might involve something ridiculous like 100% kills on Nightmare mode.

Of course you can also just get it as random loot so that's not exactly necessary.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I could have sworn there was some way to make it a guaranteed drop without being on N! difficulty.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

According to the wiki, it's a guaranteed drop in the Unholy Cathedral iff you are playing on N! with 100% kills.

As for picking it up, it used to be that you needed to be berserk, but apparently too many people figured that out and it got changed. The mods won't let anyone post about it on the forums or wiki, so who knows what the new requirements are. :rolleye:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

"If you do decide to play DoomRL, and come across the Dragonslayer: you need to be berserk, have multiple levels of Brute and empty inventory (including worn armour) to pick it up, the actual DoomRL community makes a stupid secret out of this"

I copied this down from a post on the Crawl Tavern that happened after the release of 0.9.9.7, so this should still be valid unless it got hotpatched or something.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

One Way Heroics is only $.87 on Steam for a little under 22 hours. I'm waiting for some Steam cards to sell so I can get it on credit, but I just noticed the One Way Heroics Plus DLC and it sounds like that's partly quality-of-life features. Is it good/important?

Tax Inductions
Jul 9, 2007

I carry refreshments to the good guys
I made the good guys some home fries
Towerclimb chapter 2 is totally wrecking my poo poo. I've made it to the Volt Caves like twice out of 200 attempts just to get mauled by those super-fast spider/beetle things D:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Mr. Wednesday posted:

Towerclimb chapter 2 is totally wrecking my poo poo. I've made it to the Volt Caves like twice out of 200 attempts just to get mauled by those super-fast spider/beetle things D:

Those things are hosed up and I hate them

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Hydrocodone posted:

One Way Heroics is only $.87 on Steam for a little under 22 hours. I'm waiting for some Steam cards to sell so I can get it on credit, but I just noticed the One Way Heroics Plus DLC and it sounds like that's partly quality-of-life features. Is it good/important?

It's not really DLC even though it's sold as DLC on Steam, Plus is in practice its own separate version of the game with a ton of new features and improvements. If you like the basic premise and gameplay of OWH at all, there's no real reason not to get Plus considering how much it improves pretty much all the aspects of the game (and it was already a good game to begin with).

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Hydrocodone posted:

$0.87? Where are you? It's $6.23 here, down from $7.79.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ToxicFrog posted:

$0.87? Where are you? It's $6.23 here, down from $7.79.

You must be looking at Plus, although even Plus is 4,79€ / $5.19 right now so I'm not sure where you're getting that from unless taxes are involved or somesuch.

Base OWH has always been super cheap, IIRC the dev didn't even intend to charge for it in the beginning until he was convinced that he probably should.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kanfy posted:

You must be looking at Plus, although even Plus is 4,79€ / $5.19 right now so I'm not sure where you're getting that from unless taxes are involved or somesuch.

Base OWH has always been super cheap, IIRC the dev didn't even intend to charge for it in the beginning until he was convinced that he probably should.

Whoops. I thought you were talking about Plus, not the base game. Reading is hard.

And I'm in Canada, so those prices are CAD, not USD.

TyreForHyre
Dec 22, 2011

Ask me about capital Ds and how disintegration is totally rad.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1507109559/haque This looks like it'll kinda own.

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
What are good roguelikes that play well on Android? Just got a phone and I need my permadeath fix on the fly

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Highblood posted:

What are good roguelikes that play well on Android? Just got a phone and I need my permadeath fix on the fly

Candy Crush while driving should have you covered.

MrWillsauce
Mar 19, 2015

Russian roulette.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Highblood posted:

Hoplite and Sproggiwood are good. Also, Pixel Dungeon is now open source, so I've heard good things about Shattered Pixel Dungeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Is Shattered Pixel Dungeon as much of a RNG starvation simulator as the original?