Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JMBosch
May 28, 2006

You're dead.
That's your greatest weapon.

Emerson Cod posted:

In the clip with JJ waking up Rusty - what's the last thing on the list? It sounds like he's telling him to get the operating system functioning in time for the show, but the alarm clock is running on the operating system. Maybe he's a ghost?
The sound quality is too bad for me to get anything other than what you mentioned: fix the OS, and 3 days until some conference. It might be a fun twist that Doc's off-and-on hallucinations take the form of a projection he thought he disabled. But he does say at the end of the clip that he needs to find a way to disable the alarm. The operating system could be on any new device/vehicle/building J.J. was working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

prefect posted:

The only parts of that episode I liked were the Bud Manstrong segments -- he was an interesting character.

That was also the episode where Doc is underground with the left-behind people and the Firestarter guy and maybe even Paul Entman? I suspect I'm conflating a few episodes, or else that was as chock-full of goodness as Return to the House of Mummies.

I should probably do a little research before just blithering about this stuff. :shobon:

Return to the House of Mummies was my first episode. I was so confused.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Mr. Fowl posted:

Return to the House of Mummies was my first episode. I was so confused.
A friend chose this for me as my first episode as well - you think it's a good choice because it shows all the characters doing their thing, and it exists outside the continuity, and the lack of a pt1 makes a great gag, but it's not a good choice. There's too many characters, it's too weird. Ghost of the Sargasso is a much better introduction if you ask me.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I've hooked multiple people on Venture Bros with only Return to the House of Mummies Pt. 2, and no other context. ymmv, I guess.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Blind Sally posted:

I've hooked multiple people on Venture Bros with only Return to the House of Mummies Pt. 2, and no other context. ymmv, I guess.

I got more bullets you know. You gotta stop doing that.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

pigz posted:

I got more bullets you know. You gotta stop doing that.

I know. It just looks so cool!

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

RandallODim posted:

I know. It just looks so cool!

Well go get it!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

Well go get it!

FINE.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
"Escape to the House of Mummies Part II" corrected the pedantic nerd.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LostRook posted:

"Escape to the House of Mummies Part II" corrected the pedantic nerd.

I couldn't remember for sure whether it was "Escape to" or "Escape from". :shobon:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
if you don't love this, i don't know what to say.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
We're gonna put the boy in there!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Okay which one of you nerds is wearing the Council Of Thirteen shirt on a Chicago bus right now?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Poque posted:

Okay which one of you nerds is wearing the Council Of Thirteen shirt on a Chicago bus right now?

I had mine on yesterday if that counts?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I'm a little late, but the best joke in Guess Who's Coming To State Dinner is Houser setting up a perimeter and later mumbling "Am I the only one who cares about the perimeter" almost in the background. It's so subtle due to what's happening in the foreground that it's brilliant.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamsoooooooooooooooooooooooooon.

I got my eyes on you. Both of 'em.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Holy poo poo, I just now noticed the guild strangers stealing tons of poo poo from St. Cloud while Watch & Ward induct him into the guild. Great background detail.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Trabisnikof posted:

Holy poo poo, I just now noticed the guild strangers stealing tons of poo poo from St. Cloud while Watch & Ward induct him into the guild. Great background detail.

I thought he was selling it to the guild for fast tracking his membership.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

It seemed like he'd already paid for it in cash and they were just swiping paintings and chairs and poo poo while he was distracted.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

twistedmentat posted:

I think he was 'donating' the items to sell for proceeds towards the Guild's 'survivor's fund' or something, and when Watch and Ward told him he'd have to go through a bunch of hoops and would get assigned a random guy to hench, he said (paraphrasing) "the only reason I'm doing this is to make my rivalry with the Quizboy official - so here's a bunch of money so I can skip all that bullshit you just mentioned."

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I think he was 'donating' the items to sell for proceeds towards the Guild's 'survivor's fund' or something, and when Watch and Ward told him he'd have to go through a bunch of hoops and would get assigned a random guy to hench, he said (paraphrasing) "the only reason I'm doing this is to make my rivalry with the Quizboy official - so here's a bunch of money so I can skip all that bullshit you just mentioned."

Right, he gives Watch & Ward money, he says nothing about giving the guild his Van Gogh and everything else.

The strangers were fleecing him. It plays into how often the guild just fucks over St Cloud.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

quote:

"Brock is happy to speak to Hank again, holding some sort of tablet device maybe?"

those are binoculars

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The money was to assign him Billy, not membership, he was donating the stuff to the widows and orphans of the guild as you said. Why do goons keep missing dialog that explains whats going and create elaborate scenarios that contract whats on screen?

Also, I'm sure the guild charity is purely to support the families of people who Brock kills.

That should be a pie chart, a break down of guild deaths.
Something like this http://i.imgur.com/u1zlfIU.png

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

The money was to assign him Billy, not membership, he was donating the stuff to the widows and orphans of the guild as you said. Why do goons keep missing dialog that explains whats going and create elaborate scenarios that contract whats on screen?

No way, according to the dialog, the donation had already been made. They were stealing his stuff in the background.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

No way, according to the dialog, the donation had already been made. They were stealing his stuff in the background.

The stuff they're hauling off is his donation.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Shut the gently caress up!!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phylodox posted:

The stuff they're hauling off is his donation.

Why would he donate priceless art instead of more money? That makes no sense.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

Why would he donate priceless art instead of more money? That makes no sense.

Because it's funny. This is a comedy show.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phylodox posted:

And its not funny to have the guild stealing his poo poo while he bribes them?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Phylodox posted:

The fact he donated his actual art and not his collectibles is also part of the joke.

A Van Gogh? eeeh...take it, I need the wall space to put the painting of Viggo from Ghostbusters II.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

The fact he donated his actual art and not his collectibles is also part of the joke.

A Van Gogh? eeeh...take it, I need the wall space to put the painting of Viggo from Ghostbusters II.

Then why did he give them his replica of the Ark of the Covenant?

Guys, the gag is that the guild is stealing this poo poo right behind his back, like literally behind his back.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

Guys, the gag is that the guild is stealing this poo poo right behind his back, like literally behind his back.

The gag is that the guy bought his way into the Guild of Calamitous Intent with lovely Ebay fodder.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Phylodox posted:

The gag is that the guy bought his way into the Guild of Calamitous Intent with lovely Ebay fodder.

Then why did the guild only start stealing poo poo when St Cloud has his back turned?

Its pretty clear that they're ripping him off for as much as they can and its funny.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Hey guys, did Doc say "Get their clothes" or "Get their clones"????

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014

Hedrigall posted:

I mean, like, what did dr girlfriend reveal to the monarch?!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Hedrigall posted:

Shannon Was Stabbed
Ward and May just talked
Who was driving the truck?

And I'll admit I was wrong about just selling actual valuables, but the point still stands, St Cloud paid for his membership with valuables and then bribed Watch and Ward directly with cash.

Remember, his power is having lots and lots of money. Honestly, the best kind of Superpower.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fellbat posted:

I mean, like, what did dr girlfriend reveal to the monarch?!

I bet it was the reason why she doesn't drive men.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

And I'll admit I was wrong about just selling actual valuables, but the point still stands, St Cloud paid for his membership with valuables and then bribed Watch and Ward directly with cash.

Remember, his power is having lots and lots of money. Honestly, the best kind of Superpower.

If his power is having lots of money, why wouldn't he pay with money? Why would they choose to animate the items being removed exclusively in shots behind St. Cloud's head? Why would the guild wait to start moving items until after St. Cloud sat down with his back to the door?

I mean, unless the commentaries have some magic answer this is pointless. But I think it is way funnier for the guild to be stealing from him, rather than him being so poor he has to hock his goods rather than write a check to the Orphan's fund.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, i tweeted To Jackson Public about it.

This is how we found out if Georgio ripped off his own ding dong in Castle Freak, we just tweeted the question to Stuart Gordon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

If his power is having lots of money, why wouldn't he pay with money? Why would they choose to animate the items being removed exclusively in shots behind St. Cloud's head? Why would the guild wait to start moving items until after St. Cloud sat down with his back to the door?

I mean, unless the commentaries have some magic answer this is pointless. But I think it is way funnier for the guild to be stealing from him, rather than him being so poor he has to hock his goods rather than write a check to the Orphan's fund.

The point isn't that he's poor, the point is that it's funny that he's paying for his membership in a guild of supervillains with movie collectibles. Just like 21 tried to pay Doc to clone 24 with a comic book.