Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

cl_gibcount 9999 posted:

lol B-actress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9iImZRKpGk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
[quote="spacetoaster" post="451919820"]

Haha, holy poo poo.

Tim Schafer should start another kickstarter and make a point 'n click adventure out of this whole thing.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
ok so when is Derek Smart gonna start up litigation?

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
2 weeks

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Lastgirl posted:

ok so when is Derek Smart gonna start up litigation?

Within a number of weeks, and that number is between one and three.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

xiansi posted:

Within a number of weeks, and that number is between one and three.

:munch:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

It's totally not two.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wonder how these guys are doing.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

spacetoaster posted:

no loving way, get that poo poo outta my face eonwe

that cannot be real :cripes:

i could buy a car with that and itd be real

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
"The Enablers" Yuppppp.......

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

spacetoaster posted:

How many suicides do you think will follow the news they're not ready for?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Hurry up and crush the secondary market, internet warlord Derek Smart.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Lastgirl posted:

Lol. Half of me almost wishes that CIG cultist, that gave me the spinning pink elephant before my current AV, wasn't so wishy-washy when he figured out I actually liked the AV change. That way I, too, would be mistaken for glorious shitposter Eonwe.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Star Citizen c/d?

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
The 93 million dollars is what they say they got.

Would they have any reason to lie? Could it be more or less than that, and would they have an advantage to lying about what they actually received from backers?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

When people got Kimsemsus'd though it was pretty funny

I'm new here and would like to hear a story.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

CrazyLoon posted:

Lol. Half of me almost wishes that CIG cultist, that gave me the spinning pink elephant, wasn't so wishy-washy when he figured out I actually liked the AV change. That way I, too, would be mistaken for glorious shitposter Eonwe.

all of us are just eonwe parachute accounts, we're just that delusional

Derek Smart will set them free, he's doing the right thing.

Inshallah, Derek Smart. Inshallah.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Hahahaha. Holy poo poo.

I'm starting to think that with the high investment and lack of an actual game to leash the imagination, the remaining SC fanatics are the dregs of second life.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Maldoror posted:

Would they have any reason to lie? Could it be more or less than that, and would they have an advantage to lying about what they actually received from backers?

Wouldn't the government take out some of it? I don't know how much because I never did anything like this.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lastgirl posted:

Who?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mithranderp posted:

Ugh, I want to rant about that, but I don't want to do it on the actual SC forums, because that would mean joining the SC forums.

"rape for the sake of realism" is just so loving incoherent that it makes me want to puke. Funnily enough, when you have a fictional narrative, especially sci-fi or fantasy, rape is not an inevitable consequence of anything. Including it as a fun way to dominate your enemies in a game is beyond an insult to actual rape survivors.

You want to know whats almost as bad, if not worst? :lesnick: (CIG's Lead Community Manager at the time) & his crew let it go unmolested despite being told about it and how, you know, creepy that poo poo is but instead banned Goons for threads like this: https://forums.robertsspaceindustreis.com/discussion/126105/flag-female-gamers-group (not sure its accessible anymore but that's the link) that was just "hey gals, let's make a chat group for the girls so we don't get harassed by dudes."

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 26, 2015

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Im_drunk posted:

How many suicides do you think will follow the news they're not ready for?

Over that pocket change? None man, none.

Honestly though I like to imagine some dumb, rich nerd spending that amount. Unfortunately the truth is probably that someone is destroying their life/future over a scam. :emo:

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Lastgirl posted:

Even if SC got finished they'd still be hosed. Some of them would dislike the game and only play a few hours, others would be bored by the lack of progression because they paid for all the ships, or they'd realise they could grind for a few hours and buy them without using money. If the game is released or not there's going to be a poo poo storm. The lack of cash left in the bank will happen first it's just a matter of how many weeks.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
im glad of Elite Dangerous imo

:rip: SC backers lmbo

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Unfunny Poster posted:

You want to know whats almost as bad, if not worst? :lesnick: (CIG's Lead Community Manager at the time) & his crew let it go unmolested despite being told about it and how, you know, creepy that poo poo is but instead banned Goons for threads like this: https://forums.robertsspaceindustreis.com/discussion/126105/flag-female-gamers-group (not sure its accessible anymore but that's the link) that was just "hey gals, let's make a chat group for the girls so we don't get harassed by dudes."

Yeah, I was in Arsehole Squad with Lauresh for a little while. They banned her for 'trolling' (because feeeeeemales wanting an exclusive group must be an incendiary troll attempt, not a sincere request). They really have had it in for goons since the very beginning of the RSI forums.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Maldoror posted:

I think the $$$ numbers are real. The day-to-day numbers (down to the hour) on the gdoc show the revenue rising and falling with ship sales, events, etc. It is a lot of money but even some really dumb poo poo has raised several million on Kickstarter. This is just bigger, dumber and shittier than them all.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Lastgirl posted:

im glad of Elite Dangerous imo

:rip: SC backers lmbo

Me too, at least the gold skin didn't cost me $100. :shepspends:

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Maldoror posted:

Well, hypothetically, if you had ties to some kind of organised crime syndicate in say, Sweden, you could take crime money and claim a backer gave it to you, creating fictional customers, then pay out salaries and dividends to crime syndicate members thus laundering the money. Since JPEGs are infinitely reproducible there is no physical production chain to trace and if you had lots of weird time limited sales and rapidly fluctuating prices you could really make the financials a horrific maze for a forensic accountant.

Malleovic
Sep 8, 2007

OMGGG you could've tripped and DIED
I don't know how to deal with two SC threads at once

please help

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Devian666 posted:

Even if SC got finished they'd still be hosed. Some of them would dislike the game and only play a few hours, others would be bored by the lack of progression because they paid for all the ships, or they'd realise they could grind for a few hours and buy them without using money. If the game is released or not there's going to be a poo poo storm. The lack of cash left in the bank will happen first it's just a matter of how many weeks.

I've had a long cynical history with mmo development starting with something obscure called Face Of Mankind. It was supposed to be basically Deus Ex the MMO but its a long and complicated story but the essential "over-ambitious" developer bit off more than he could chew and fired half his staff bringing what was once a potential goldmine to a completely obscure game nobody will ever hear of, deservedly so.

When I first heard of Star Citizen in 2012 after the wake of the FoM revival that was basically a server hosting scam run by NeXeon, which is another long complicated story, I saw Chris Roberts being basically the next Marko Dieckmann of Face of Mankind. I just knew this was an a very ambitious project and I was never going to back it. In fact I've never backed any kickstarter for the very reason that it could just be another server hosting scam with vaporware, which is what any game can essentially be during this kickstarter era.

When you get to a neurotic wishy-washy level of ambition, it's never gonna go anywhere lol and that's how I view Chris Roberts, despite how very little I know about him or read up on him. All the signs are right there.

I'm just chiming in here because of the potential litigation, even though I don't really care much for Derek Smart or his bad games, At least someone will fight when someone should have fought for Face of Mankind being turned into a flat out scam. I'm just at the point where I'm fascinated to see this clusterfuck of a car pile up with trains colliding and planes falling out of the sky into the same spot ontop of a giant Armageddon tier meteorite breaking through the ozone on this sweet spot. Everything's pretty much aligned with the stars and I just wonder what's gonna happen to the kickstarter era once Star Citizen incurs such a heavy mass from all the millions it piled up. Will it become an inverse blackhole and tear itself apart? Only time will tell friend.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
We have much work to do, let us begin the shitposting.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
You would have to be the biggest idiot to use kickstarter to publicly launder mon..... NEVERMIND.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mithranderp posted:

Yeah, I was in Arsehole Squad with Lauresh for a little while. They banned her for 'trolling' (because feeeeeemales wanting an exclusive group must be an incendiary troll attempt, not a sincere request). They really have had it in for goons since the very beginning of the RSI forums.

"You're not being unjustly targeted." - Lesnick

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Malleovic posted:

I don't know how to deal with two SC threads at once

please help

Seraph might have to make a few more accounts to cover the bandwidth costs.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

kordansk posted:

You would have to be the biggest idiot to use kickstarter to publicly launder mon..... NEVERMIND.

Kickstarter, yeah totally moronic. You'd have to build your own crowdfunding platform that you'd have complete access to. Really be able to modify and host it yourself. You could even resell it to others. Just spitballing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Space court for kimsemses

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Lastgirl posted:

And you could sell that car 5 years down the line.

40 thousand for a game. That's another Pictures for Sad Children mess (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51375) waiting to happen. Except instead of books being burned, it's gonna be that guy.

Pictured: Depressed Star Citizens.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

:yosbutt: :ocelot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lastgirl posted:

I've had a long cynical history with mmo development starting with something obscure called Face Of Mankind. It was supposed to be basically Deus Ex the MMO but its a long and complicated story but the essential "over-ambitious" developer bit off more than he could chew and fired half his staff bringing what was once a potential goldmine to a completely obscure game nobody will ever hear of, deservedly so.

When I first heard of Star Citizen in 2012 after the wake of the FoM revival that was basically a server hosting scam run by NeXeon, which is another long complicated story, I saw Chris Roberts being basically the next Marko Dieckmann of Face of Mankind. I just knew this was an a very ambitious project and I was never going to back it. In fact I've never backed any kickstarter for the very reason that it could just be another server hosting scam with vaporware, which is what any game can essentially be during this kickstarter era.

When you get to a neurotic wishy-washy level of ambition, it's never gonna go anywhere lol and that's how I view Chris Roberts, despite how very little I know about him or read up on him. All the signs are right there.

I'm just chiming in here because of the potential litigation, even though I don't really care much for Derek Smart or his bad games, At least someone will fight when someone should have fought for Face of Mankind being turned into a flat out scam. I'm just at the point where I'm fascinated to see this clusterfuck of a car pile up with trains colliding and planes falling out of the sky into the same spot ontop of a giant Armageddon tier meteorite breaking through the ozone on this sweet spot. Everything's pretty much aligned with the stars and I just wonder what's gonna happen to the kickstarter era once Star Citizen incurs such a heavy mass from all the millions it piled up. Will it become an inverse blackhole and tear itself apart? Only time will tell friend.

Here's what you need to know about Chris Roberts. He made a very successful franchise of video games (Wing Commander) which ended in 1996, Roberts always wanted to make movies and prodcued and wrote the horrific 'Wing Commander' movie which was directed by Roberts himself. It was such trash its not even a fun bad movie (well, except maybe the scene where someone gets pushed off a spaceship by a space bulldozer and the Robert's 'Thumbs up!'. That's about it). It was also nepotism in that he founded a studio called Digital Anvil, which did the effects for it. They released one game (Starlancer) in 2000 which was pretty good.

Here is where modern Roberts begins. He announced Freelancer in 1999 and said it would be available by 2000. Due to feature creep, general mismanagement (the project overshot development projections by a year and a half) it was thought of to be vaporware (Sound familiar?). Microsoft bought Digital Anvil and Roberts was basically kicked off the project and remained a consultant. It was extremely different than what was pitched, but it was good and actually got released. He then left the gaming industry for movies. He broke a contract with Kevin Costner, the subsequent lawsuit bankrupted his production company which had to be sold off. He then returned to gaming in 2011, after not having been in the industry for over a decade.

In other creative industries, this typically isn't a problem. Terrence Malick left film for twenty years before coming back to do 'The Thin Red Line', which was nominated for seven academy awards. This is because you can shoot films old school and still be good. With gaming, tech changes at a lightning pace. For example, cards when Freelancer came out were clocked at 375MHz for core and memory (Radeon 9900). To overcome this, obviously you hire people with decades of industry experience. He did this, but never listened to them. He basically has not evolved from his 'Freelancer' mindset, except this time there is no Microsoft to bail him out. The question is, would anyone want to bail him out if possible? What are the legal responsibilities for someone who takes over the project? Do they have to honor every promise CRoberts put in? Do they have to even honor the MMO portion if they just want to make Squadron 42 and wash their hands of everything else? I suspect there's a lot of legal wrangling involved.

• Locked thread