Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

AlphaKretin posted:

That's plotting frequency of non-uniformly distributed shelf lives as the independent variable against temperature, which is like three different kinds of gently caress up. Temperature should be on the bottom and shelf life should be a linear scale on the side, with a scatter/line graph instead of column.

E: actually no bars don't necessarily mean frequency, it's saying that an MRE with a shelf life (which we can change at will) of X months will cause the surrounding area to be Y°. :psyduck:

"Ow! This one's really hot!"
"EAT FAST!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Ow! This one's really hot!"
"EAT FAST!"

Its literally correlation =/= causation.jgp.

It probably the best example I could point to off the top of my head for how the correlation between two variable stays the same when you swap the x and y axis, and why that's usually a terrible idea.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

That's what happens when you leave your graph in your car on a hot summer day.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Vorpal Cat posted:

They really should have had shelf life as the Y axis because your brain interprets larger bar as better, when on this graph its the smallest bar that has the largest shelf life.

The bigger problem is that the shelf life measure is not on a linear scale, logarithmic scale or anything so any conclusions you make on the relationship between shelf life and temperature based on the shape of the graph is bullshit.

1 2 6 18 36 40 48 60 - I mean, really?

Someone basically picked the wrong graph type in Excel.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Carbon dioxide posted:

I don't think these are quite to scale.

https://imgur.com/shchYYd :nws:

Ego boost.png right there.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ikanreed posted:

Ego boost.png right there.

My mother is Thai and my father is Sudanese.
I have the most average penis :smug:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Inzombiac posted:

My mother is Thai and my father is Sudanese.
I have the most average penis :smug:

Hmm, I didn't know penis size was the average of the father's and mother's penises

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

wow..

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, that graph is something. In most European countries, even the democratic party would be considered to sit somewhere to the right of the political center. America doesn't have true leftist parties.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Carbon dioxide posted:

Yeah, that graph is something. In most European countries, even the democratic party would be considered to sit somewhere to the right of the political center. America doesn't have true leftist parties.

I like how it tries to equate anarchy with right-wing thought.
Ancappery definitely, but all other kinds of Anarchy? hahahaha

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Oct 26, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This is amazing.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I like how it tries to equate anarchy with right-wing thought.
Ancappery definitely, but all other kinds of Anarchy? hahahaha

"Anarcho-Capitalism" is the new name for Feudalism, and his nickname is Libertarianism (which he totally stole from Left-anarchists that like Marxist thought like Chomsky).
That's it. It's a system of lords waving their 'property rights' around to make a new system of peasantry, except this time it has a thoroughly flawed economic philosophy posing as a science to back up its 'rights'.

While the others are pretty loving pandering ("look! graphs are cool! You know Venn-Diagrams!"), this one is the one I take the most issue with.
Venn-diagrams are for qualitative phenomenology. This is inherently quantitative.
I don't care if I sound like a fedora, this diagram still is the least necessary.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick has a new favorite as of 10:24 on Oct 26, 2015

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Vorpal Cat posted:

The political maps thread had a long discussion on the many ways in which this was a better graph then the Florida one, but tldr, don't turn your histogram into a line graph, and don't flip your charts y axis upside down without a drat good reason.

It's supposed to look like blood dripping down for dramatic effect. No one in the political maps thread figured that out?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

This is actually rather effective at communicating its dumb-rear end point.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The first one makes sense?

The second one is great though.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Count Roland posted:

Na the diagram implies they got everything they wanted but the fact that they're suing implies the opposite.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The over lap between files we want and files they have is the files we want from them, which combined with the label implies they got everything they wanted.

E;fb

Popoi
Jul 23, 2000

AlphaKretin posted:

The over lap between files we want and files they have is the files we want from them, which combined with the label implies they got everything they wanted.

E;fb
Well, they got everything they wanted that it was possible for the other side to give. They still want a bunch more files, but it's not clear who has them.

Mountain Dew Code Bread
Mar 20, 2008

This tumblr has thousands of nonsense charts and graphs.

Some examples:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

These ones make me so mad because it's so clear they chose those lovely representation so that it suits their bias. It's one thing to be inept at graphs, it's another to be malicious.

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

Count Roland posted:

I don't think the second one is meant to be a graph, just a design to make the words stand out.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
That's FoxNews for ya.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Pneub posted:

It's supposed to look like blood dripping down for dramatic effect. No one in the political maps thread figured that out?

That would be said very good reason for flipping the Y axis, the one the Florida graph doesn't have, due to failing to look dripping blood.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Rumda posted:

Na the diagram implies they got everything they wanted but the fact that they're suing implies the opposite.

Ah, yes I'm dumb.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

I don't know what this graph is but I'm at least intrigued

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Rumda posted:

I'm a big idiot but wouldn't the circles be completely overlapping if they got everything they want instead of just the small amount in the overlap?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

PAWGChamp posted:

I'm a big idiot but wouldn't the circles be completely overlapping if they got everything they want instead of just the small amount in the overlap?

Look at what's in the circles. They only want a small number of the files they have, which they got.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Oh duh thanks. I took the left circle to be "files we want from them" which is probably how they meant it but not what it means. I got it now

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

PAWGChamp posted:

Yeah, they got everything they wanted it was possible to give. They're suing because they're not being given files that the other party doesn't have and therefore can't give.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Consist posted:

Some examples:

This is Laban notation for effort in movement and makes total sense if you study choreography.

I mean, without context it seems insane, but I have genuinely redrawn this exact diagram several times to explain concepts to people.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

This is a good site.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

MissMarple posted:

This is Laban notation for effort in movement and makes total sense if you study choreography.

I mean, without context it seems insane, but I have genuinely redrawn this exact diagram several times to explain concepts to people.

Do you have a PhD in dance or am I just not getting how insane that is

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Do you have a PhD in dance or am I just not getting how insane that is

You know, now that he said that and I looked at it a little more it does make sense. But since it's a 3D graph on a 2D medium it remains kinda confusing to the brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Does anyone have a link to this big gender/sexual identity checklist I saw a while ago, it had over 200 different options and a Points System for how opressed you were?