Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Well, I did this. In survival. For some reason.

It's the maximum size without editing the config file: 32x32x48

I had no idea what I was committing to when I started, I really thought it would be pretty quick and simple (Which is I guess how most ridiculously lengthy and complicated projects in modded Minecraft start out). I had well over 50k Iron and 150k redstone (for making the blizz powder). After barely getting through half of the control rods and about half of the cryotheum I was flat broke. All my iron gone and no redstone left at all. I should have paid attention to the recipes instead of just throwing them into the autocrafter and hitting ten thousand for everything. Thank gently caress for magical crops and QuarryPlus. I managed to regain my supply and finish it off, but it took an extra day and a half. Don't even get me started on filling something this size with gelid cryotheum - it doesn't flow. Every cube there is a single bucket of the stuff. Thanks for the advice earlier on floodgates, by the way :P

Here's the control rods. All 338 of them.

It takes over 62,000 Yellorium. Just for fun I transferred it in via four ports from my ME network with stacks turned off. It took over an hour and a half to fill up.

Here are the figures:

Now what to do with it? Is there anything more interesting than just running MFR lasers? I have magical crops and I'm working on a void age to do that as lag free as possible, which will always be faster and more efficient than lasers, so what to do with all of this power? I'm running FTB Monster which is MC1.6.4 and I'm not against adding in mods to make use of the power. I wish I could add RFTools to this modpack to mess around with dimensions. *Sigh*

This makes me think there should be a mod that adds a machine that can fabricate any object in the game with the only price being energy. Massive amounts for the rarest stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
That's where IC2 somehow steps in and has something that does just that; suck up extreme amounts of power to create uu-matter that can in turn be crafted into fairly mundane materials. But if you can produce that monstrosity you've basically have a near limitless supply already.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Mr Scumbag posted:

Well, I did this. In survival. For some reason.

It's the maximum size without editing the config file: 32x32x48

This makes me think there should be a mod that adds a machine that can fabricate any object in the game with the only price being energy. Massive amounts for the rarest stuff.

Now make it active cooled and make turbines to match.

Also, you can run dozens of mining lasers off that. Use tesseracts to transfer power.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Dunno-Lars posted:

Now make it active cooled and make turbines to match.

Also, you can run dozens of mining lasers off that. Use tesseracts to transfer power.

on other servers i tend to make a 7x7x5 reactor and attach 3 turbines running each at 7x7x18 and ludicrite blocks, each one produces about 25000000 RF/t

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I was seriously considering running turbines off it (Especially thinking about having to fill it with cryothium) , but I have no experience with them at all and the project had already taken way longer that than I thought it would, along with way more resources. Also, there's no ludicrite in this pack, and I hated the idea of having to settle for second best. That mentality basically made me fire up FTB: Infinity about seven seconds after I turned the reactor on.

What is wrong with me. (It's about time I moved past 1.6.4 and I really want to play with RFTools dimensions.)

Edit:

\/\/\/ Hmmm, ok. Thanks. I'll keep it in mind for my next go at it.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 26, 2015

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

From what I remember of the mechanics of turbines, there's two other materials that'll just take more blocks to cap it out. For example, enderium can be used and you'll only add one or two more to the height of the turbines.

EDIT: Ah, I'm wrong. If you want to scope out making the most of your turbines if you do continue with your monstrous power setup, this will show you optimal dimensions for the materials you have available.

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 26, 2015

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Input/output ports are limited to 50B/t of steam (~25? turbines) which you'll hit with a much, much smaller reactor if you are going to go the turbine route.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Perfect, a 5x5 array hovering nearby your already monstrous reactor like some alien cubist nightmare. :unsmigghh:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Mr Scumbag posted:

and finish it off, but it took an extra day and a half. Don't even get me started on filling something this size with gelid cryotheum - it doesn't flow. Every cube there is a single bucket of the stuff. Thanks for the advice earlier on floodgates, by the way :P
I was going to suggest just using the builder's wand, but I forgot about the whole gelid being a liquid thing.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Khorne posted:

Input/output ports are limited to 50B/t of steam (~25? turbines) which you'll hit with a much, much smaller reactor if you are going to go the turbine route.

you can use multiple fluid ports, and if you build the reactor and turbine such that the fluid ports of each are touching, they'll transfer between them with no pipes/tessaracts necessary

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Glory of Arioch posted:

you can use multiple fluid ports, and if you build the reactor and turbine such that the fluid ports of each are touching, they'll transfer between them with no pipes/tessaracts necessary

It's not the ports that are limited, but the turbines themselves. The ports have no limit, a single tesseract will output all the steam you could drat well want

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Taffer posted:

It's not the ports that are limited, but the turbines themselves. The ports have no limit, a single tesseract will output all the steam you could drat well want

oh, yeah, 80 turbine blades max

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Why isn't my greatwood sapling growing in regrowth? Does it just take a long time? Also do I need golems to automate harvesting crops or is there an easier way?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DONT CARE BUTTON posted:

Why isn't my greatwood sapling growing in regrowth? Does it just take a long time? Also do I need golems to automate harvesting crops or is there an easier way?

greatwoods take a hilarious amount of time to grow, they also need a lot of space

golems are basically the only option for harvesting crops, the only other thing is forestry, whose autofarms require forestry fertilizer, which requires apatite, which can only be produced by bees

and those bees need an apatite ore block as a flower

maybe the orechid can spawn apatite? haven't tried

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

decided to try it out

looks like the orechid can spawn it in regrowth, though it took a pretty long time for me to get even a single block

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
For once, your best option actually is golems :(

Though a big field and a scythe sure helps a lot before then - if you've got a scythe in hand, then right clicking will harvest a 3x3 square

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Khorne posted:

where did you get this?

I get 2400 steam out and you put the out and in against each other for max throughput.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Yeah, i just use scythe and run down the row every once in a while.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
So I've been playing a fair bit of modderation:FYAD and I just now noticed... the transmutation tablet from projectE looks a lot like a swastika, was that what it always looked like in the original mod?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

TheresaJayne posted:

where did you get this?

I get 2400 steam out and you put the out and in against each other for max throughput.
2400 is in mb, which is 2.4 buckets, nowhere near the cap on the port.

I don't know if multiple ports works but if it does that's cool. I've never needed to max out even one port.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

axelsoar posted:

So I've been playing a fair bit of modderation:FYAD and I just now noticed... the transmutation tablet from projectE looks a lot like a swastika, was that what it always looked like in the original mod?

Nnnno it doesn't? It's a spiral, bro. Also, yes, it's exactly the same texture.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

McFrugal posted:

Nnnno it doesn't? It's a spiral, bro. Also, yes, it's exactly the same texture.

I mean, I can see that is what they are going for but the low texture quality makes it look really jagged and uh... angular to me.
I mean, it could be my FOV playing tricks on me but, yikes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
ProjectE is an awful mod that ruins the game (but is fun briefly or in something like hardcore mode on mad pack), but that's not a swastika or even anything close to a swastika.

Wait until you see magical crops' essences! Or a shuriken! Or a child's rendition of the sun!

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Oct 27, 2015

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Fair enough, I wasn't trying be like "they are nazis" so much as "am I crazy?"

Full disclosure, my eyes are GARBAGE, in a way that really can't be fixed with glasses.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
It looks jagged and angular because it's like 16 pixels across.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Steelion posted:

It looks jagged and angular because it's like 16 pixels across.

That is what I meant, yeah.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Are there any recipes where you need charged certus quartz or am I good to turn it all into fluix? Discounting ones where regular certus will do, of course.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Ariong posted:

Are there any recipes where you need charged certus quartz or am I good to turn it all into fluix? Discounting ones where regular certus will do, of course.
You need them for some stuff, make a charger it requires one, and then you can turn regular into charged at your leisure.

Clairetic
Nov 3, 2008

I don't even know my own credit card information.

Ariong posted:

Only a few build-once items like chargers and meteor compass. There might be 1 or 2 others - those are just the ones that I found when I asked the same question. But ^ is right, just make a charger and then you don't have to worry about not having some on hand in case you do end up needing it for something.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Oh cool.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Charged quartz is a really really lovely mechanic.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

I've been having considerable trouble getting FTB: Infinity to run for more than 15 minutes without the Nvidia driver crashing. (Error code 8).

From what I understand, this is a pretty common problem but from what I've read, there is no fix.

Does anyone have any idea how to prevent this from happening? A game that takes this long to load is impossible to enjoy when you spend a good sixth of your time restarting it.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Has anyone uploaded "banished" to technic? I will not download the curse launcher.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've been having considerable trouble getting FTB: Infinity to run for more than 15 minutes without the Nvidia driver crashing. (Error code 8).

From what I understand, this is a pretty common problem but from what I've read, there is no fix.

Does anyone have any idea how to prevent this from happening? A game that takes this long to load is impossible to enjoy when you spend a good sixth of your time restarting it.
Are you running the latest driver? If so, you have to downgrade to a version that doesn't have that problem.

I think it's v340.52 that doesn't have the issue. I saw a bunch of people discussing it in IRC, apparently a few mod and mod pack authors had this problem after updating their video card drivers.

The issue is supposedly caused by other programs using opengl, primarily firefox/chrome with accelerated graphics or flash player. One nerd said it's caused by journeymap if you don't have it set to opaque. If you don't want to downgrade you probably have to turn off accelerated graphics and make sure you don't have any flash stuff open (even paused) while playing minecraft. Someone claimed if you open minecraft and then your web browser the issue might not happen? But I don't know. I'd probably just go with the older driver version but you could also try these goofy attempts at fixes.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 27, 2015

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Mr Scumbag posted:

I couldn't even get FTB Infinity to launch, Googling the error code just got me a bunch of people with the same problem and no response from developers.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Is there any way to check for instability in a mystcraft age? Or to turn it off once a world is created? I run the server myself.

I made a mystcraft world with no pages and it appears to be a stable void world. I don't want to build my base there and have a big surprise come up.

edit: Upon closer inspection it appears that it's actually a book to the Spectre World from random things. Oh boy. That's exciting. It appears twice in the cofh tps list, as dimension "sdf" [3] and SpectreWorld [3]. I'm really excited about this exciting mod interaction, but seeing as it's only me playing there I might still be lazy and build there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Oct 27, 2015

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I'm playing OMPi single player, and I have a really odd glitch going on: items keep rubber-banding when they're in my inventory. Like, I'll put one in my hotbar and take it out, and while the sprite and name will update it'll still be the previous item: torches will place, etc.

The only things I've done differently as of then are:
Using both Forestry and Thermal Expansion backpacks
Using inventory pets
Built two Telepads.

Other than that? Just exploring. Not really sure what this could be - it's not tick lag, and it happens no matter where I am.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Okay I finally got sick of Solitary Asylum, since it gave me access to Thaumcraft 3 then somehow managed to disable the Wand of the Adept so I couldn't progress past the basic functions. The main purpose of it being in the pack seems to be all the warded stone and doors. The only thing you need to do via Thaumcraft is make a stack of Alumentium. Anyway, I was basically done with everything I wanted to do. I was about to easily breeze through the next two doors, and then there were two doors after that that were bee-themed that I was absolutely not going to do. After that was the final door, which seemed to mostly be about farming diamonds so you can outright buy the stuff needed to make the blocks... except for the 1 billion EU you're supposed to pump into an IDSU. That takes 7 hours. Also I looked at a video of someone "beating" the map, and it's loving broken! The final door can't be opened because the item detection setup is wrong.

Oh, and it's kindof shoddily constructed, as Galacticraft is installed for seemingly no reason, alongside Harken Scythe for, again, seemingly no reason.

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I'm playing OMPi single player, and I have a really odd glitch going on: items keep rubber-banding when they're in my inventory. Like, I'll put one in my hotbar and take it out, and while the sprite and name will update it'll still be the previous item: torches will place, etc.

The only things I've done differently as of then are:
Using both Forestry and Thermal Expansion backpacks
Using inventory pets
Built two Telepads.

Other than that? Just exploring. Not really sure what this could be - it's not tick lag, and it happens no matter where I am.

My best guess is Inventory Tweaks. Auto-refill can cause inventory desynch.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 28, 2015

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Okay I finally got sick of Solitary Asylum, since it gave me access to Thaumcraft 3 then somehow managed to disable the Wand of the Adept so I couldn't progress past the basic functions. The main purpose of it being in the pack seems to be all the warded stone and doors. The only thing you need to do via Thaumcraft is make a stack of Alumentium. Anyway, I was basically done with everything I wanted to do. I was about to easily breeze through the next two doors, and then there were two doors after that that were bee-themed that I was absolutely not going to do. After that was the final door, which seemed to mostly be about farming diamonds so you can outright buy the stuff needed to make the blocks... except for the 1 billion EU you're supposed to pump into an IDSU. That takes 7 hours. Also I looked at a video of someone "beating" the map, and it's loving broken! The final door can't be opened because the item detection setup is wrong.

Oh, and it's kindof shoddily constructed, as Galacticraft is installed for seemingly no reason, alongside Harken Scythe for, again, seemingly no reason.

My best guess is Inventory Tweaks. Auto-refill can cause inventory desynch.

I'm kind of amazed you bothered getting that far on that torturous sounding modpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Wolpertinger posted:

I'm kind of amazed you bothered getting that far on that torturous sounding modpack.

Yeeaaaah it was pretty drat grindy. Sometimes I just... have this urge to play modpacks like that, to see where it goes, for the satisfaction of completing a difficult task, and to find what clever ways I can find to circumvent part of the progression.
Notably, in this modpack, it is not explicitly stated that you aren't allowed to bypass walls via methods other than building over them. Therefore, you can longsword-jump over, jetpack over, throw an ender pearl over, etc. It's stated you can build over walls if you have access to both sides of it, which again means you can escape by building onto the wall and walking along the wall to other "inaccessible" areas. My personal favorite technically-legal progression skip, though? Using a redstone torch(torches are ok to break/pick up) from the spawn room to open a door in the back that leads outside. You can instantly win the map without breaking any rules.