Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diatom
Mar 27, 2009

joats posted:

It would be cool if the financials were released and we found out that they splerged all the money on non game stuff. You know, that's the point of getting a bunch of money. However, the backers would defend it with excuses like "oh we knew the risks" and "not all the money I pledged had to go towards the product being advertised, Croberts gotta eat."

If backers want to keep the Roberts family knee deep in blow, thats their prerogative, but expecting accountability from a privately held company in the USA?

Diatom fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Madcosby posted:

lol you are a sucker for advertising

how much did you spend on Star Citizen

Sorry about your brain damage.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

G0RF posted:

How dare you!

She is on record stating that she has not had a vacation since Star Citizen began and here you are contradicting that!

Hey now this was business related, they were scouting and taking pictures for the new planet side areas.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MeLKoR posted:

Hey now this was business related, they were scouting and taking pictures for the new planet side areas.

right, Monaco was just field work for space race research.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Madcosby posted:

lol you are a sucker for advertising

how much did you spend on Star Citizen

No Man's Sky is a game being made the old-school way though? If it's boring it's boring, it doesn't have people paying 20k for jpegs, doesn't have weird sexual assault fedora hellidiots macking on other people, it hasn't promised anything it can't deliver. It's a fundamental difference between No Man's Sky and Star Citizen. One of them has about a million more hours of in-game footage too.
I just don't get how someone can get mad at No Man's Sky when we have Star Citizen right in front of us. It might be boring but it's also not being evangelized so ??

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The first game I can think of that really pushed that term as one of their big selling points was Hellgate: London. Funny that.

I don't remember Hellgate: London having any procedural generation. Hellgate: London didn't have true FPS elements either, but It called it'self an FPS Hybrid. It was more like right clicking from a distance since you could still "miss" if you were shooting at something with a gun from point black range and the dice roll game up 1.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Hammerstein posted:

What's the name of that other space game with the video of you as captain standing on the bridge and directing your fleet per hologram overlay rts-style ? And at the same time you had those huge bridge monitors showing how your commands are followed by the ships outside.

Nevermind, found it. http://flagshipgame.com/

This actually looks fun.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

No Man's Sky is a game being made the old-school way though? If it's boring it's boring, it doesn't have people paying 20k for jpegs, doesn't have weird sexual assault fedora hellidiots macking on other people, it hasn't promised anything it can't deliver. It's a fundamental difference between No Man's Sky and Star Citizen. One of them has about a million more hours of in-game footage too.
I just don't get how someone can get mad at No Man's Sky when we have Star Citizen right in front of us. It might be boring but it's also not being evangelized so ??

i agree

i just wouldnt defend No Man's Sky until, you know, I actually play it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Madcosby posted:

i agree

i just wouldnt defend No Man's Sky until, you know, I actually play it

Not stopping you from ripping on it though like an idiot retard.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

I said come in! posted:

Not stopping you from ripping on it though like an idiot retard.

wow dude did you make No Mans Sky sorry I think the videos Ive seen look boring

wow this planet is named Hitler game of the year

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Quotes from a future biography about Wulf Knight or lyrics to a heavy metal song from the 80's?
"There I was completely wasting, out of work and down
all inside it's so frustrating as I drift from town to town
feel as though nobody cares if I live or die
so I might as well begin to put some action in my life

So much for the golden future, I can't even start
I've had every promise broken, there's anger in my heart
you don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue
if you did you'd find yourselves doing the same thing too

You don't know what it's like"

Hard to tell.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Sweet, goon on goon violence over another unreleased game. :bravo:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Madcosby posted:

No just your own logic makes you look like a brain damaged toddler.

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

I don't have to work very hard at being an asshole. It comes naturally.

No practice needed.

Since Goons ruin everything, I'm pretending to be a Goon for Halloween!

AP posted:

Karl is deep in the cult, does anyone know any deprogramming methods?

*looks at the last 250 pages of the last SC thread*
*looks at the OP of the new SC thread*

well, I don't know if this whole cult thing is just projection of some sort.

Diatom
Mar 27, 2009

I said come in! posted:

No just your own logic makes you look like a brain damaged toddler.

Frankly thats something I aspire to.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
They both have pretty good avatars so it's hard to choose who to side with.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Madcosby posted:

You can't buy the game nor can you give it money so I fail to see why you care so much. Does it have rambling cocaine hoovers? Racist pube PR bumbles? A Scientology-seedling cult-like twinge? Does it have insane photoshops that are as close as we've gotten to explaining insanity? Does it have a case of the ol' floppy feet? Gary Oldman head-horns? High-definition towels? Exploding buggies and dancing emotes? Swedish Mafia non-connections? No? Then why bother?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

thatguy posted:

They both have pretty good avatars so it's hard to choose who to side with.

i know, I'm torn.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Karl_Ramseier posted:

You'll understand when you are older, now go to bed.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

lol this isn't going to happen. Nothing major is going to happen with Star Citizen and the people against it, lets be honest here. The game will live or die entirely on its own. Probably die.

Then it will at least be Derek awkwardly tries to explain why the goalposts are moving day.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Madcosby posted:

No Man's Sky looks boring as gently caress

the worst words in the video game industry right now are "procedurally generated"

Procedurally generated stuff is fine as long as it used correctly.

I think a great space game would take the procedurally generated planets and such from No Man's Sky and pair them together with solid writing and a good story like Star Control 2 (or the Starflight games, which had procedurally generated planets).

poo poo that is pretty much exactly what I want in a space game. Fun flying around space gameplay in a big universe with good writing and an actual story with a point and the freedom to approach it however you want (like Star Control 2, not like the crappy cutscene->mission->cutscene crap that Roberts likes).

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

No practice needed.

2DCAT posted:

I met a guy on Reddit the other day who is a professional in doing psychological profiles. I'll ask him for his expert advice.

Bah, then I sue him. Derek showed me how to do it. At least threaten lawsuits.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

You'll understand when you are older, now go to bed.

God drat you people, stop chasing them off. We should have a steady supply of laughs in this thread instead of always being dependent on third-parties.

Diatom
Mar 27, 2009

Iron Tusk posted:

Then it will at least be Derek awkwardly tries to explain why the goalposts are moving day.

Hell just move on to whatevers next.. the man is unshakable.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Karl_Ramseier posted:

See you in the 'verse!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=57334

lmbo

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

MeLKoR posted:

God drat you people, stop chasing them off. We should have a steady supply of laughs in this thread instead of always being dependent on third-parties.

renewable humor guys.

BE ENVIRONMENTALLY CONSCIOUS

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Madcosby posted:

No Man's Sky looks boring as gently caress

the worst words in the video game industry right now are "procedurally generated"

Any time you see the words "Procedurally generated" you can just mentally sub in "Boring and really loving generic" and be completely right 99.99% of the time.

(I'm not actually certain of a procedurally generated system that results in cool and interesting stuff but I'm sure at least one must be out there somewhere).

Karl_Ramseier
Aug 21, 2015

No practice needed.

MeLKoR posted:

I stay if you tell me who paid 10 bucks to give me that AD. I want to thank him.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gwaihir posted:

Any time you see the words "Procedurally generated" you can just mentally sub in "Boring and really loving generic" and be completely right 99.99% of the time.

(I'm not actually certain of a procedurally generated system that results in cool and interesting stuff but I'm sure at least one must be out there somewhere).

Wasn't this how they made the dungeons in Diablo? At long as there's a story tying everything up and giving you some (optional) goal it doesn't have to suck. poo poo, even Minecraft is fun to explore for a good while.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
Names and loot drops can be randomized pretty funishly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

MeLKoR posted:

Wasn't this how they made the dungeons in Diablo? At long as there's a story tying everything up and giving you some (optional) goal it doesn't have to suck. poo poo, even Minecraft is fun to explore for a good while.

I seem to remember in Diablo (the first one) that there was a few patterns. Everytime I fought the Butcher there seemed to be only a few layouts of the area you fight him in. The one I always liked was the one with the grates so you could shut the door on him and shoot him with a bow and arrow. The Butcher couldn't open doors you see, emergent gameplay!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

KakerMix posted:

I seem to remember in Diablo (the first one) that there was a few pattern. Everytime I fought the Butcher there seemed to be only a few layouts of the area you fight him in. The one I always liked was the one with the grates so you could shut the door on him and shoot him with a bow and arrow. The Butcher couldn't open doors you see, emergent gameplay!

This is how ARPGs are made. They aren't true procedurally generated games, their dungeons just have a lot of different variations.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

joats posted:

We live in a world where the "Idea Man" can get rich. 10 years ago, the idea man was laughed out of the industry.

You mean like how Chris Roberts got laughed out of the movie industry for Wing Commander?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

SneakyFrog posted:

True dat.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Karl_Ramseier posted:

Twitter game, Cult points for following :-

+1 point for minor roles
@BoredGamerUK , @INNdolvak @TheRoadbeer @Accelerwraith, Disco Lando

+5 points Star Citizen Stars
Gary Oldman, Sandi Gardiner, Gillian Anderson, Mark Hamill, Jack Huston

You almost have a perfect score.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

MeLKoR posted:

Diablo rifts/dungeons are a random combination of pre-designed pieces so that they fit together in different ways.

And yea, hyperbole aside, so long as there's something else to actually be the focus of the game it's probably OK, but invariably the stuff that actually hypes of procedurally generated XYZ is using that in place of actual content, and not as a background/suplement to it.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
There is a difference between proceduraly generated and taking individual items or sets from a list and distributing them randomly or according to a formula.

Torchlight, spelunky, diablo, terraria, starbound and others take blocks of tiles like 20X20 and the designer hand paints or fleshes those blocks out. Then they are distributed randomly (or by formula) in the game to create a psudo proceduraly generated map that still has designed elements to it.

Pure proceduraly generated design is just a chaotic art piece.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

SneakyFrog posted:

Also Diablo's random loot name pool often produces amazingly funny results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

LuiCypher posted:

You mean like how Chris Roberts got laughed out of the movie industry for Wing Commander?

No, I mean like it's been made easier for some no name dude to pitch a loving grand idea with a couple of pictures or something and get some amount of money from suckers. Because Chris Roberts has a history in the industry actually makes it worse.

And the best way to get money from suckers is to tickle their nostalgia bone. Do you remember so and so from the past? Well just give me a bit of your money and that thing that you used to enjoy could come back and be better than it was.

Most successful kickstarters are not for some new idea. It's selling that nostalgia. Either this producer used to work for blah and he wants to bring blah back. gently caress remember blah! And it works, because we enjoyed it and we want more of it, but god damnit. Don't purchase chickens when they are still in the egg, because there is no guarantee that they are going to hatch.

joats fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 26, 2015

• Locked thread