Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crash74
May 11, 2009
Has there been any Stellaris News lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TheMcD posted:

Ask Paradox. They were the ones that put those stupid names in to begin with - they came from the HoD dynamic dominion system. When that converter found a nation it could not transfer a Vicky 2 tag over to, it would take one of the dynamic dominion tags, which are as follows:
It's based on the Secret Kingdom of (Upper) Mustang in Nepal.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Crash74 posted:

Has there been any Stellaris News lately?

They're doing dev diaries every monday.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

TheMcD posted:

Ask Paradox. They were the ones that put those stupid names in to begin with - they came from the HoD dynamic dominion system. When that converter found a nation it could not transfer a Vicky 2 tag over to, it would take one of the dynamic dominion tags, which are as follows:

code:
The Kingdom of $REGION$
The Confederation of $REGION$
Commonwealth of $REGION$
The Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ State
The People's Republic of $REGION$
The Free State of $REGION$
The Grand State of $REGION$
The State of $REGION$
The Principality of $REGION$
The Democratic Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Union
The $REGION$ Kingdom
The Dominion of $REGION$
The Grand Duchy of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Nation
The $REGION$ Federation
The United States of $REGION$
The Democratic Union of $REGION$
The Princedom of $REGION$
The Union of $REGION$
The People's Democratic Republic of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Area
The Glorious Union of $REGION$
Mighty $REGION$
The $REGION$ Free State
The $REGION$ Commonwealth
The $REGION$ Confederacy
The Free People of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Republic
The Holy Union of $REGION$
The People's Union of $REGION$
The Federal States of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Federal State
The $REGION$ Confederation
The $REGION$ Federation
The Pious Union of $REGION$
$REGION$ Land
The Most Serene Republic of $REGION$
The Secret Kingdom of $REGION$
The Commune of $REGION$
The $REGION$ Commune
The Worker's Union of $REGION$
The Landgrave of $REGION$
The Nation of $REGION$
Holy $REGION$
The $REGION$ Dominion
The People's State of $REGION$
The High Kingdom of $REGION$
The Lesser Duchy of $REGION$
So the nation owning Greenland is "The Secret Kingdom of" (I think the converter excluded the region part) and since Denmark had cores on it, that becomes "Secret Denmark".

It's probably a leftover from Secret Bears of Jan Mayen.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

BillBear posted:

Talking about converters, is the CK2 - EU4 one working fine? I'll love to do some sort of mega campaign.

It should.

"Trust me, I'm an engineer"

Groogy fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Oct 26, 2015

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BillBear posted:

Talking about converters, is the CK2 - EU4 one working fine? I'll love to do some sort of mega campaign.

It works well enough. You should take some time to customize it for yourself though so that it ends up generally making more sense and looking nicer. The converter tends to do some weird things swith personal unions, tech groups and national ideas in my experience. Also you should go over the flags, as it just assigns the Christian coat of arms for the state in EUIV which leads to some rather ill-fitting and unsatisfying flags for states that aren't Christian. I just find some replacements from vanilla EU4 and Europa Gooniversalis and stuff like that personally. I also do stuff like split up cultures so that it fits EU4 better and I pretty up borders, because I am a huge sperg.

e: I also think it has problems assigning the proper tag for dynastic title countries. Because it wants to create a dynamic name for those countries and just creatse new Z## tags instead. Leads to no Arab Muslim north African countries having the Berber ideas as they are tied to tags, for an example.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Oct 26, 2015

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.
From Johan's Twitter by way of the HOI4 forum: Screenshots From the Glorious Norwegian People's Republic.

Of note:
-Bloodless coup
-New Flag and leader
-Soviet "volunteers" assisting in the People's invasion of Sweden.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MilkmanLuke posted:

From Johan's Twitter by way of the HOI4 forum: Screenshots From the Glorious Norwegian People's Republic.

Of note:
-Bloodless coup
-New Flag and leader
-Soviet "volunteers" assisting in the People's invasion of Sweden.

Jizzing my pants.

edit- also the Amelia Earhart article has her not getting lost?

Fidel Cuckstro fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 26, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Have we seen what the generic HoI IV portraits look like yet? It's crazy impressive how many actual painted ones we've seen, even for edge cases like generals for smallish countries or a leader for alternate communist Norway.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Oh wow, the fact that historical flavor events can play out differently is so cool-- it's always been kind of funny to me when some flavor event fires in Victoria 2 or Europa Universalis IV that mysteriously plays out exactly like it did in the real world every single time. I wonder if it's just a coinflip, or if the American player's actions actually affect Earhart's chances of success?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Empress Theonora posted:

Have we seen what the generic HoI IV portraits look like yet? It's crazy impressive how many actual painted ones we've seen, even for edge cases like generals for smallish countries or a leader for alternate communist Norway.

Oh wow, the fact that historical flavor events can play out differently is so cool-- it's always been kind of funny to me when some flavor event fires in Victoria 2 or Europa Universalis IV that mysteriously plays out exactly like it did in the real world every single time. I wonder if it's just a coinflip, or if the American player's actions actually affect Earhart's chances of success?

Maybe Podcat just thinks Earhart failed because the Norwegians weren't Communist enough in our timeline :)

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
My hero, i hope he is in HoI IV.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arne_Gauslaa

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Empress Theonora posted:

Priority list:

1. Great powers during WW2
2. Sweden
3. Byzantium
4. Sweden's neighbors
5. Everyone else.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I like how Venstre is neutral and Høyre doesn't exist

e: What's the situation in the US for an example? Do you have the Democrats as democratic/liberal (whatever it was called), and then the Republicans as neutrals?

e2: Would a party with a non-democratic/liberal ideology winning an election in a democracy change stuff beyond the leader and maybe some modifiers, relations and AI priorities? Would they still be counted as a democracy for the mechanic that disallows democracies from declaring war on each other?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 26, 2015

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Northern Democrats are Commies, Southern Democrats are Fascists, Republicans are the stalwart defenders of freedom. Obviously.

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style

Enjoy posted:

I guess no one ever played my modmod, I put events in for America in ~1920 to be hit by an invasion of Cthulhu worshippers (based on a Halloween event Paradox did) but no one ever commented about it :(

If you put it up somewhere other than the paradox forums you might have more luck

MilkmanLuke
Jul 4, 2012

I'm da prettiest, so I'm da boss.

Baus is boss.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Jizzing my pants.

I'm guessing the Earhart thing is just a fluff event if you play with the Historical national focus path off (it's a setting, but I don't know if it's binary or has an option for degree of randomness).

It would be cool to see if you got more alt history headlines as countries go progressively off the historical rails.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Time to make Scandinavia go all fascist all the time with the great state of Ethiopian Sicily as a bastion of all sorts of wacky leftist crap.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Enjoy posted:

I guess no one ever played my modmod, I put events in for America in ~1920 to be hit by an invasion of Cthulhu worshippers (based on a Halloween event Paradox did) but no one ever commented about it :(

Maybe if Pdox's forums would actually let me see the Vicky II mod forums again maybe I'd check it out.

I have no clue as to why I can't access it. I used to be able to no problem.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Maybe if Pdox's forums would actually let me see the Vicky II mod forums again maybe I'd check it out.

I have no clue as to why I can't access it. I used to be able to no problem.

Did you attach your old pdox account to your new one / did it transfer your v2 license when you did?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

uPen posted:

Did you attach your old pdox account to your new one / did it transfer your v2 license when you did?

I thought I had, but re-entering my code seemed to do the trick. :psyduck:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

New Stellaris diary on characters: here

Glad to see that Pops are apparently Paradox's focus.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
e: ^ :argh:

New Stellaris dev diary on characters.

and funnily enough, sort of connected to HoI4 portrait chat:

quote:

Now, as you remember from last week’s diary, there are about a hundred different alien race portraits in the game. Thus, we initially felt that lesser leaders should not have actual portraits, because we could not possibly produce enough of them to provide the requisite variety. But then, the artists started to experiment with different backgrounds and clothes, which thankfully proved sufficient to allow all leaders to show a portrait.

I wonder if they're using a sort of modular system like that in HoI too. I hope they'll be doing a bunch of portrait DLC packs for both these games though, usually graphical mods aren't something modders shine on, especially for rendered portraits like this.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gotta have my POPS

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I am unironically looking forward to buying 50$ worth of alien fungus themed portrait packs and music tracks.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
they should combine vic 2 pops with ck/rome dna and breeding

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Back To 99 posted:

they should combine vic 2 pops with ck/rome dna and breeding

And use this in Rome 2.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm glad to see Earth's in the game. But will they get Serbia right this time???

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I'm pretty sure Earth is split between the great powers Srbja and Old Great Bulgaria in the Stellaris timeline.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I'm unreasonably excited for this dumb space game.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

first row tickets on the hype train

quote:

Funny that two of these are pretty much Star Trek. Wonder what "inhbition release" is. The purge?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 26, 2015

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I like the character system, it sounds fairly similar to how Endless Space/Legend allowed your heroes to be either be military leaders or governors (probably done in some 4x's before then but those were the first that came to mind).

I see there's a Slavery checkbox, I wonder if that's just all encompassing or if you have the ability to specify 'us vs them' at all.

Getting unreasonably excited for this game now and that's real bad considering how far off it probably still is.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Q1 2016 isn't it? I'm sure it'll be delayed 6 months to a year though.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I see there's a Slavery checkbox, I wonder if that's just all encompassing or if you have the ability to specify 'us vs them' at all.

They're missing a lot of the nuance of social stratification, clearly. Or does slavery cover all forms of second-class citizenship?

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 26, 2015

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Getting unreasonably excited for this game now and that's real bad considering how far off it probably still is.

But.. but it has a ship designer :ohdear:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
HoI4 looks really fuckin' cool.

Stellaris looks really fuckin' cool.

The new Eu4 expansion looks really fuckin' cool.

This is a good time to be a Paradox fan.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Fuligin posted:

New Stellaris diary on characters: here

Glad to see that Pops are apparently Paradox's focus.

Oh hey, a link to the HOI4 beta that is open til the 30th, let's take a..."CLOSED"

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

I like the character system, it sounds fairly similar to how Endless Space/Legend allowed your heroes to be either be military leaders or governors (probably done in some 4x's before then but those were the first that came to mind).

Total War has done that at least since Medieval 2.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fuligin posted:

I am unironically looking forward to buying 50$ worth of alien fungus themed portrait packs and music tracks.

yes

Randarkman posted:

Wonder what "inhbition release" is. The purge?

That was my first thought. Not sure what that looks like on a strategic level, though. There's a day every year where half your leaders just die?

Pharnakes posted:

Q1 2016 isn't it? I'm sure it'll be delayed 6 months to a year though.

I thought the story with this one was that they waited to announce it until they knew they weren't going to HOI4 it up?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I have to wonder about any society that actively decides NOT to live in a world of utopian abundance. Unless they mean "utopian abundance at the expense of the environment/other empires" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

According to the screenshot, Human Ethics are xenophile and extreme individualist. Did the ancaps win in Stellaris's version of Humanity? :ohdear: