Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen is very much alive and well and healthy thank you very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

Without this guy how are they going to continue to expertly manipulate Cryengine into doing the impossible like having crosshairs and running well?

I dunno Peter, a casual observer may start to question what exactly is happening to the best space game ever.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

alphabettitouretti posted:

Now I ain't no game developin' type guy but "Lead technical Designer" sounds pretty important.

oh hey, another Smart Scoop.

Guy is totally making up his sources though.

Reddit, archive this.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

Without this guy how are they going to continue to expertly manipulate Cryengine into doing the impossible like having crosshairs and running well?

he was the only thing holding the crosshairs together

now the crosshairs are pointed at the player character himself

HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AP posted:

Yeah, he was a major part of helping them with the cryengine and was on The Last Great Starship (just like Firefly cancelled after one series)

Derek Smart broke the news too which is going to annoy them.

Wandering Samurai also did MW:LL, aka the best Crysis mod of all time and the Mechwarrior game we should have gotten with combined arms instead of MW:O.

Lord_NeckBeard
Oct 26, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

You know you can say "loving idiot" right? Only wageslave workpoors get the word filter.

So, people saying poo poo and loving are writing those out? Or, there is a word filter I can turn on? It looks fun.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eonwe posted:

he was the only thing holding the crosshairs together

now the crosshairs are pointed at the player character himself

HOLY SHITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

loving crosshairs really tied the whole game together man.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

So, people saying poo poo and loving are writing those out? Or, there is a word filter I can turn on? It looks fun.

you would like to make the posts less profane good sir? Is that indeed the question?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Now I ain't no game developin' type guy but "Lead technical Designer" sounds pretty important.

No! You just don't understand game development. Turnover is just part of the business. Happens all the time! No big deal! :byodood:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

AP posted:

I dunno Peter, a casual observer may start to question what exactly is happening to the best space game ever.

Well thankfully everything is OK and going well so phew at least that's that out of the way and we can all continue looking forward to Star Citizen again

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Lord_NeckBeard posted:

Click here to make your wildest dreams come true!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Amun Khonsu posted:

WTF are we looking at here?

starcitizen.jpg

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

joats posted:

Click here to make your wildest dreams come true!

Gently caress YOU! You almost loving got me

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

SneakyFrog posted:

loving crosshairs really tied the whole game together man.

That and the White Russians. Can't have any Black ones.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

jfc this owns :golfclap:

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

:perfect:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Nickiepoo posted:

I wanted to argue with this but I literally couldn't think of a single one. Closest is stuff like FTL but that's really just 'open the door and see which designed encounter you get'.
FTL's encounters aren't designed (beyond the boss), there's a random set of weapons/defenses/etc that opponents draw from which fits the definition of procedurally generated pretty well. Roguelikes use procedural generation if you're into that sort of thing. Left 4 Dead was pretty fun. The Civ series has always used it well, same with XCom. But yeah the core gameplay has to be fun.

A Neurotic Jew posted:

It is good and healthy to keep your expectations in check, except when it comes to Star Citizen's demise. It will be fireworks and magic and it will happen all at once, with a gigantic crater left in its wake.
nah a bad game will be released and bad add-ons will trickle out and the backers will defend it while privately being disappointed with their purchases and everyone else will point out how bad it is while privately being disappointed that it came out at all

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:pusheen:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

im thankful for this thread

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Moving locations worked out for Starbound.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Looks like the image in Derek's OP was taken down by Imgur.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eonwe posted:

lol at the pic in the other thread

THE WULGE

The Wulge definitely needs to be here

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

So much for fair use parodies.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Gwaihir posted:

Wandering Samurai also did MW:LL, aka the best Crysis mod of all time and the Mechwarrior game we should have gotten with combined arms instead of MW:O.

Hmm, it might have been Sean Tracy on Last Great Starship, no sign of a change on his linkedin yet, but he's far away from LA in F42 Germany.

Not that being near LA at all would be bad if you worked for CIG, I'm sure it's a great place full of fun people.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

joats posted:

Moving locations worked out for Starbound.

I thought this was old news about them dismantling Austin. They were trying to move everyone to lovely Monica.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Unfunny Poster posted:

great so now the op is even shittier. THANKS OBAMA DEREK.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i like how they are always like 'WHAT DEREK SAYS ISNT TRUE' and there is always some damning evidence like a ship being named POTATO

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

AP posted:

Yeah, he was a major part of helping them with the cryengine and was on The Last Great Starship (just like Firefly cancelled after one series)

Derek Smart broke the news too which is going to annoy them.

At least he can leave with his head held high in the knowledge that it was a good job well done.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

At least he can leave with his head held high in the knowledge that it was a good job well done.

lol

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wandering Samurai Studios

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

kordansk posted:

I thought this was old news about them dismantling Austin. They were trying to move everyone to lovely Monica.

You might be right. I did a Google search on "technical designer" in relation to game development and got this job posting for a technical designer at CIG over in Santa Monica.

http://jobs.gamasutra.com/job/technical-designer-santa-monica-california-27287

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

maybe the mocap actor died and they had to keep it concealed for tax reasons so they just did the weekend at bernies thing.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
does working at certain dev studios put a black mark on you? like lets say you worked at zynga

is that a ding against you for a job? because if so I feel bad for what kind of black mark people are going to get over CIG

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

SneakyFrog posted:

maybe the mocap actor died and they had to keep it concealed for tax reasons so they just did the weekend at bernies thing.

They're just simulating a future where Parkisonism still isn't cured!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SneakyFrog posted:

correct

bernie was actually just carrying the weight of the lower and middle class on his back this weekend

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Eonwe posted:

does working at certain dev studios put a black mark on you? like lets say you worked at zynga

is that a ding against you for a job? because if so I feel bad for what kind of black mark people are going to get over CIG

I might be wrong, but I think in many cases your work speaks for itself. If you are an artist, you have ea portfolio, if you are a developer you might have some sample code you have written, etc.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kordansk posted:

I might be wrong, but I think in many cases your work speaks for itself. If you are an artist, you have ea portfolio, if you are a developer you might have some sample code you have written, etc.

okay that makes sense

i guess the artists could get a pass but i feel like it would be hard to brag about your star citizen portfolio as a developer :stare:

i guess you could sell it as "look, this was a mess and I helped make it not a mess by doing X, Y, Z"

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

Eonwe posted:

okay that makes sense

i guess the artists could get a pass but i feel like it would be hard to brag about your star citizen portfolio as a developer :stare:

i guess you could sell it as "look, this was a mess and I helped make it not a mess by doing X, Y, Z"

Remember as a mid level employee you have no influence on that. That would be like judging every utility worker at Enron when they applied to a new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Eonwe posted:

correct

bernie was actually just carrying the weight of the lower and middle class on his back this weekend

:perfect: :bernin:

• Locked thread