Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

alphabettitouretti posted:

At least he can leave with his head held high in the knowledge that it was a good job well done.

:lol: :wtchris:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

At least he can leave with his head held high in the knowledge that it was a good job well done.

I've had dreams like this I swear.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Can we get a list of all the people who've been fired or quit in the last 6 months?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Eonwe posted:

okay that makes sense

i guess the artists could get a pass but i feel like it would be hard to brag about your star citizen portfolio as a developer :stare:

i guess you could sell it as "look, this was a mess and I helped make it not a mess by doing X, Y, Z"

It also depends on whether or not it looks polished or not. The concept artists and production artists will likely include their SC work in their portfolio, since it helped sell the game (in more ways than one :v:). The rest of the production staff, however, will likely have a single line on their CV and that'll be it.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
Everything is under control. No need for concern.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Perfect!

But add the face to the hairy mikes too.

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
drat Lando still makes me deusch cringe like whoa.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im glad of this emote

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:bernin:

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Young Freud posted:

It also depends on whether or not it looks polished or not. The concept artists and production artists will likely include their SC work in their portfolio, since it helped sell the game (in more ways than one :v:). The rest of the production staff, however, will likely have a single line on their CV and that'll be it.

Whoever did the space ships will be hired right away. It's really the only reason the game has sold at all.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
what originally created the space court meme

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i actually feel bad for all the CIG employees to be fair

imagine being an artist and having something approved, and then they are just like, nah redo that

even worse, imagine being a developer, hell also imagine having a hand in creating the engine and being told to do things that are not simply impractical but actually not possible

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ShredsYouSay posted:

im not sure, but Kimsemus and thatguy have played a major role in space court and it is too bad those in Goonrathi never gave them their day in space court before this game fell apart completely

luckily Starfleet Dental would likely accept them in open arms if this game were to ever come out and other games won't necessarily share the same exact leadership

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
Yea you absolutely have to feel for the guys having to work under Chris and (heaven forbid) Sandi loving Gardiner. Like that article that talked about the staff telling Chris that a HUD helmet was a bad idea, Chris forces them to do it anyway, then he plays it and realizes it sucks. All that work scrapped. Must be endlessly frustrating.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Executive Producer Eric Peterson

Executive Producer Alex Mayberry

Associate Producer Travis Day

Concierge Customer support Chelsea Day

Community Manager James Pugh

Associate Marketing Producer Alyssa Delhotal

Production Coordinator Lisa Ohanian

DevOps Engineer Jeffrey Parker

Lead Character Artist David Jennison

Senior Gameplay Programmer Tom Davis

Senior 3D Artist Paul Forgy

Lead Technical Designer Dan Tracy

*The entire F42 character design team*

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:eyepop:

We have just folded space from Ix.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 26, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
In my dreams I see Chris walking to his opulent office with a forced smile. He closes the door, fetches some Ben&Jerry's and Bailey's from his office freezer, and sits down at his desk. He begins a long, long afternoon of reading this thread while steaming with impotent rage and pouring melted ice cream and irish cream down his gullet.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

kordansk posted:

Remember as a mid level employee you have no influence on that. That would be like judging every utility worker at Enron when they applied to a new job.

Are you saying you wouldn't? :colbert:

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Sarsapariller posted:

Everything is going fine. Just fine.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

wonder how croberts scored a wife like that, surely it wasnt because of lying

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

You should have seen the walk before Chris Roberts had them replace the avatar skeleton 8 times.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ShredsYouSay posted:

I'm glad you asked.

You see...

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

wyoak posted:

FTL's encounters aren't designed (beyond the boss), there's a random set of weapons/defenses/etc that opponents draw from which fits the definition of procedurally generated pretty well. Roguelikes use procedural generation if you're into that sort of thing. Left 4 Dead was pretty fun. The Civ series has always used it well, same with XCom. But yeah the core gameplay has to be fun.

I was thinking more in terms of the nature of encounters rather than the badguys themselves, i.e 'you meet a bandit!' 'You meet some space poors who want money' ect ect but you're not wrong. There's the argument that that's just a veneer of randomisation within a fairly strict set of rules (such as no more than 2 shields in the starting system) but I guess that depends on where you draw the line.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
This thread hasn't had me saying how scared Anders is yet.

In case you were wondering he is still very scared.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

A Neurotic Jew posted:

Everything is going fine. Just fine.

reddit "Lets wait till next month and see if he gets a new position at CIG."

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

joats posted:

Well, I think now is the best time to invest.

In Frontier Developments, you mean?

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Sarsapariller posted:

I added this to the first page of the thread.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Blue Raider posted:

wonder how croberts scored a wife like that, surely it wasnt because of lying

No accounting for taste, but I guess that Sandi thought that Chris would be a springboard for her career. By the time she realized this was a bad call, sunk cost fallacy had taken root.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SirPhoebos posted:

No accounting for taste, but I guess that Sandi thought that Chris would be a springboard for her career. By the time she realized this was a bad call, sunk cost fallacy had taken root.

Das Gray
Jun 26, 2015

Wishes life was in Everquest classic graphics.
Lipstick Apathy
Please remind me who Pancake-Face is.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AP posted:

reddit "Lets wait till next month and see if he gets a new position at CIG."
[thatDolvakquoteaboutitallbeingoversoon.png]

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

SirPhoebos posted:

Art imitates life again

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Das Gray posted:

Please remind me who Pancake-Face is.
Gary Oldman.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

SirPhoebos posted:

Well, in her case she actually gets paid for "believing in the dream", so it's not really a fallacy

FagtasticalMondays
Oct 10, 2013

So what is currently happening with this scam??

Is it a case that its "developers" have blown all the their money on hookers and coke, playing on the indoctrinated masses who are too invested at this stage to cough up more money/chase off any nay sayers?

Also, how close is this drama bomb to reaching critical mass?

FagtasticalMondays fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 26, 2015

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

AP posted:

You should have seen the walk before Chris Roberts had them replace the avatar skeleton 8 times.

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Eonwe posted:

does working at certain dev studios put a black mark on you? like lets say you worked at zynga

is that a ding against you for a job? because if so I feel bad for what kind of black mark people are going to get over CIG

I've never seen anyone get poo poo on for working at Zynga.

If anything I would say it helps, even if the company has a shady reputation. People have played your product and
know that you can ship. The only thing I'd say is more important than a good portfolio (artist and programmers) is having shipped titles under your belt.

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro
Don't give up on the dream. CIG will be selling Javelins on November 19th, probably for a low-low price of $2,500-$3,000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Are you saying you wouldn't? :colbert:

I don't think so, no. Remember we aren't employees there. It is a different dynamic from what we see on the outside. It's easy for us to step back and look at the situation and be like, 'WHAT THE gently caress, WHY DON'T YOU RUN" but they still need income. I wouldn't fault someone staying at a paying job utilizing their abilities while looking for a new place of employment. I think it would make for an interesting interview though.

• Locked thread