Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

SelenicMartian posted:

Perfect!

But add the face to the hairy mikes too.

Sandi is unhappy with the hairy mikes...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Austin was quite a big team at one time.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

kordansk posted:

I don't think so, no. Remember we aren't employees there. It is a different dynamic from what we see on the outside. It's easy for us to step back and look at the situation and be like, 'WHAT THE gently caress, WHY DON'T YOU RUN" but they still need income. I wouldn't fault someone staying at a paying job utilizing their abilities while looking for a new place of employment. I think it would make for an interesting interview though.

It was a joke, but good post nonetheless.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

kordansk posted:

I don't think so, no. Remember we aren't employees there. It is a different dynamic from what we see on the outside. It's easy for us to step back and look at the situation and be like, 'WHAT THE gently caress, WHY DON'T YOU RUN" but they still need income. I wouldn't fault someone staying at a paying job utilizing their abilities while looking for a new place of employment. I think it would make for an interesting interview though.

Yes, i think it's just the employees taking advantage of knowing that their boss has 43 million in paycheck money to hand out. They are just doing business till something else comes along that can be a bit more long term because this project is reaching the halfway/end mark.

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011

FagtasticalMondays posted:

So what is currently happening with this scam??

Is it a case that its "developers" have blown all the their money on hookers and coke, playing on the indoctrinated masses who are too invested at this stage to cough up more money/chase off any nay sayers?

Also, how close is this drama bomb to reaching critical mass?

If we are going off of historical dates, it's like July 12th 1945. We got some time before the first big explosion where nobody dies except some cows. Then we have two metaphorical weeks until the next big drama bomb.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The first game I can think of that really pushed that term as one of their big selling points was Hellgate: London. Funny that.

For all of its issues, and there were many, I loved the gently caress out of Hellgate: London.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

FagtasticalMondays posted:

So what is currently happening with this scam??

Is it a case that its "developers" have blown all the their money on hookers and coke, playing on the indoctrinated masses who are too invested at this stage to cough up more money/chase off any nay sayers?

Also, how close is this drama bomb to reaching critical mass?

$20k coffee machines more than the hookers, coke habits unconfirmed.

The whales who've put tens of thousands in are paralysed by the sunk cost fallacy while the true believers are still refusing to accept any evidence that this won't be the greatest event in human history.

Probably 6-9 months from critical mass, there's a lot of popcorn to get through yet.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

joats posted:

Yes, i think it's just the employees taking advantage of knowing that their boss has 43 million in paycheck money to hand out. They are just doing business till something else comes along that can be a bit more long term because this project is reaching the halfway/end mark.

Where's that $43 million figure coming from? Granted, I've been away from the thread since last Friday so I may have missed something.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

fuctifino posted:

im the guy on the left with the sunglasses and tiny head.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Furious Mittens posted:

Where's that $43 million figure coming from? Granted, I've been away from the thread since last Friday so I may have missed something.

We don't have any information on how much backer money is left, however they have raised over 90 million from the kickstarter and ship jpegs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit

quote:

LIVE STATUS

Current Pledge Amount

$93,757,553

Increase in pledge amount since Kickstarter campaign ended

$87,518,990
"Average Pledge/Day
Since Grace Period End"

$81,709.15
Average Pledge/Day - Full Campaign
$84,434.50
Middle Quartiles Average (ALT1)
$48,006.50
Trimmean 10% Average (ALT2)
$70,346.60
Total Pledge Amount 2014-01-01
$ 35,672,435
Total Pledge Amount 2015-01-01
$ 68,590,679
Estimated totaled pleged by 2016.01.01 on average daily

$99,686,855
Estimated totaled pleged by 2016-01-01 (ALT1)

$96,986,735
Estimated totaled pleged by 2016-01-01 (ALT2)

$98,505,862
Estimated totaled pleged by 2016-01-01 (Linear Regression)

$98,528,930

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

fuctifino posted:

They have so many people and so much money and jack poo poo to show for it after years of work.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I did it! I'm out!

Refunded today (CIG says).

Perhaps you should all hold applause until the money actually hits my account.

I'm going to use the money to buy actual games that exist and are fun (or buy some new bearings/wheels for my daughters derby skates).

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im the george r r martin lookalike

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Eonwe posted:

im the george r r martin lookalike

Hey, you have a nice elephant there.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

fuctifino posted:

I know where this is.

Should I go ring the doorbell and shout "SOMETHING AWFUL DOT COM" while running away.

Maybe it could be a stretch goal on my Patreon. The next one will be me sitting in my car outside while playing "The Final Countdown" really loud.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I'm the outside speakers playing journey's "Dont stop believing"

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm the black person.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
I am the guy in the loft across the street, banging my GF and playing games that exist.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

fuctifino posted:

I'm the black person.

Where?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

That's the joke

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Reality has a well-known anti star citizen bias.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Eonwe posted:

okay that makes sense

i guess the artists could get a pass but i feel like it would be hard to brag about your star citizen portfolio as a developer :stare:

i guess you could sell it as "look, this was a mess and I helped make it not a mess by doing X, Y, Z"

"Developer" is a pretty broad term that doesn't have much meaning beyond "Works on a game in some capacity."

Star Citizen's most obvious faults are all in the game director and designer's department: Every dumbass thing like drink mixing minigames, the whole choice about maximum immersion at all times over "fun", poor balance in AC, etc.

Technical achievements have all been pretty impressive, even though some of them are of the "Well holy poo poo that was a lot of work instead of just doing X, but it's pretty impressive that you got Y to work" variety. Others like the damage modeling on ships is cool as hell.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

fuctifino posted:

That's the joke

waiting for that one.

:thejoke:

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Reality has a well-known anti star citizen bias.

They act like team leads and executive positions bailing are the same as some junior coder who gets a better job offer.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Did Trevor get brutally owned

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's like playing Where's Waldo...

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Wafflz posted:

They act like team leads and executive positions bailing are the same as some junior coder who gets a better job offer.

All team positions are junior to the almighty Christ Roberts! He can make or unmake The Verse with his very word, from a pre-pre-pre-pre-Alpha, to just Alpha....and back again.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

fuctifino posted:

if waldo was dead.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

CrazyLoon posted:

All team positions are junior to the almighty Christ Roberts! He can make or unmake The Verse with his very word, from a pre-pre-pre-pre-Alpha, to just Alpha....and back again.

You joke, but with how much obvious micro managing goes on... they really are :v:

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

fuctifino posted:

There is one in the first picture, center top. The one with all the light on him.

TBH most of the 3 black people were moved to headquarters to be on vlogs with Sandi.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Derek Smart has had zero contact with my friend or her husband about DickWulf so either he is talking to ANOTHER married woman who received pics or his communications with "my friend" has been a long standing troll of Dr. Derek Smart Phd.

In her words:

"We never asked Derek to help us get justice. [Husband] got his refund. It's done. Wulf's life is it's own reward. Period. Why kick a dwarf?"

I just wanted to make sure this is clear for the ladies and gentlesirs of Space Court.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wafflz posted:

:smug:Learn about the :eng101: goddamn game development process for once :smuggo:

Goredema
Oct 16, 2013

RUIN EVERYTHING

Fun Shoe

Eonwe posted:

im not sure, but Kimsemus and thatguy have played a major role in space court and it is too bad those in Goonrathi never gave them their day in space court before this game fell apart completely

It would actually be anti-climactic if Goonrathi let him in at this point, since it would mean the joke was over. A lifetime ban from a gaming clan (founded to play a failed non-game), based on some incident involving fishing that happened in a Korean grind-fest MMO, is way funnier if it just never gets reversed forever.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Raskolnikov posted:

Derek Smart has had zero contact with my friend or her husband about DickWulf so either he is talking to ANOTHER married woman who received pics or his communications with "my friend" has been a long standing troll of Dr. Derek Smart Phd.

In her words:

"We never asked Derek to help us get justice. [Husband] got his refund. It's done. Wulf's life is it's own reward. Period. Why kick a dwarf?"

I just wanted to make sure this is clear for the ladies and gentlesirs of Space Court.

All I know is we got the name The Wulge out of it and that owns.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Goredema posted:

It would actually be anti-climactic if Goonrathi let him in at this point, since it would mean the joke was over. A lifetime ban from a gaming clan (founded to play a failed non-game), based on some incident involving fishing that happened in a Korean grind-fest MMO, is way funnier if it just never gets reversed forever.

lol i forgot it was over loving fishing :rolleyes:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Wafflz posted:

All I know is we got the name The Wulge out of it and that owns.
It does own, but my friend kinda has a thing about hating lies so just wanted to make sure Derek wasn't using her and her husband to lie about his upcoming Space Court adventures. She's had zero contact with Derek so I have to wonder who is Derek talking about other than someone else.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Goredema posted:

it is pretty funny

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:smug:Learn about the :eng101: goddamn game development process for once :smuggo:

I like how tons of those nerdos think they know the process cause they've been playing games a long time, you guys.

Help desk work really gives you deep insight on the software development pipeline.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im sure its totally normal and expected that people relearn the jobs every few months in time to go to another job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shala
Oct 15, 2006

i shot the pilot

Lipstick Apathy
It's totes normal to have senior people leave in the middle of a development cycle guys.

Your boat isn't sinking, nosiree.

• Locked thread