Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I expect the limit on leaders in Stellaris will be like the limit on military leaders in EU4. You can go over the limit but it will cost you something in upkeep. Influence or whatever seems like the logical choice. Some ideas and decisions and triggered modifiers can increase the limit and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Westminster System posted:

Isn't the idea that "Romans" were literally only the people from Rome as far as Rome itself was concerned, it was just really liberal in its application of whom it called Roman Citizens.

Very true, although by late antiquity the idea had diffused enough that people in Britain and Egypt could bothl unselfconsciously call themselves "Romans" and citizens of "Romania."

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I expect the limit on leaders in Stellaris will be like the limit on military leaders in EU4. You can go over the limit but it will cost you something in upkeep. Influence or whatever seems like the logical choice. Some ideas and decisions and triggered modifiers can increase the limit and so on.

They have mentioned that the game increases in complexity at certain milestones. I'm taking this to mean that in the early game you are juggling a few planets/systems and prioritizing your governor to the richest of them and/or the growing frontier systems. Then when you reach a certain point you graduate to sectors where you no longer manage individual planets and the governors "promote" into sector governors.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Bort Bortles posted:

The bolded bothers me and the bolded italicized scares me. Needing to juggle leaders and having opportunity cost for having governors or admirals feels like an outdated train of thought to me. When in history has someone said "well the Pacific fleet can have an admiral OR we can put a governor in the Phillipines, but not both"?!?

The time in history that happened was when someone was making a game with meaningful decisions with opportunity costs.

I mean, it could suck but this is clearly a gameplay-influenced decision so you don't have gigantic numbers of characters in large / late game empires.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Not gonna lie, I just discovered you can play as a fungoid in Stellaris and now I'm abandoning my plans for a militaristic humanity and going with these dudes:

Spiritual collectivists?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kulkasha posted:

You forget Cisalpine Gaul, now known as Northern Italy, which had that name for a reason. It's more likely that Rome was much more ethnically diverse than we mentally picture it.
That is way too serious a reply to my post. :v:

Randarkman posted:

Not that wrong necessarily. Population experts estimate that Africa will almost rival Asia in population by the 22nd or 23rd century I think. Though there should be more Asians, especially vague ones.
Well, that still assumes equal representation in the colonization project for everyone on Earth. Like, if the world isn't officially united, just dominated by a single super power, then it might skew massively toward the majority ethnicity of that state, with everyone else just being left behind. In conclusion, the more democratic your empire is, the more closely it should match predictions in terms of "racial" makeup, representing the single super power having evolved into a truly representative world government by the time you start reaching for the stars. At the beginning of the game you would of course be able to choose your dominant ethnicity, so as to be able to create a truly Serbian Empire.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Aw man, I'm away from my computer for like three days and the HoI4 beta comes and goes? Oh well, betas tend to get you burned out on games before they release anyway.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Which is pretty funny, since the only reason there are white Italians today is because of the Germanic invasions that ended the Roman Empire.

I can't tell if this is being ironic or not.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Rakthar posted:

I'm ready for my Space Battleship Yamato anime mod that lets me take on the White Comet Empire but properly this time.

[edit]I guess it turns out Doogie Howser was a historical document that fell through a time warp.

Goons play Stellaris (and ruin everything)

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Well, that still assumes equal representation in the colonization project for everyone on Earth. Like, if the world isn't officially united, just dominated by a single super power, then it might skew massively toward the majority ethnicity of that state, with everyone else just being left behind. In conclusion, the more democratic your empire is, the more closely it should match predictions in terms of "racial" makeup, representing the single super power having evolved into a truly representative world government by the time you start reaching for the stars. At the beginning of the game you would of course be able to choose your dominant ethnicity, so as to be able to create a truly Serbian Empire.

What will truly make Stellaris a masterpiece in my eyes is if there's a pre-warp Earth start with seven different empires on Earth, all trying to colonize and plant their flag until the player unites them. I will also grudgingly accept a massively different representation of POPs and events that encourage ethnicities/political blocs to settle specific planets to really bring home the plurality of an early space empire the player is desperately trying to hold together.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There's like 6 difference human cultures you can choose from or randomly meet. Maybe the Asians rule space, maybe you run into space-USSR, who knows?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

There's like 6 difference human cultures you can choose from or randomly meet. Maybe the Asians rule space, maybe you run into space-USSR, who knows?

Can multiple nations exist on the same planet?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

That's Asian and Russian confirmed as human cultures. I assume the rest are American, Swedish, African, and I guess Greco-Roman?

The Sharmat posted:

I can't tell if this is being ironic or not.
I am deadly serious.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
There should be a small chance that humans were conquered and enslaved by the sentient Jan Mayen bears.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 26, 2015

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
^^^ I whole-heartedly agree!

Demiurge4 posted:

Can multiple nations exist on the same planet?

Nope, one planet one race. I think in theory you could make multiple races start in the same system, like maybe we banished the French to Uranus, but a planet can only have a single owner.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's Asian and Russian confirmed as human cultures. I assume the rest are American, Swedish, African, and I guess Greco-Roman?

Please! Obviously Greek and Roman will be separate cultures to properly simulate the Eastern and Western space empires!

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 26, 2015

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Space Yankees here we come.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

Nope, one planet one race. I think in theory you could make multiple races start in the same system, like maybe we banished the French to Uranus, but a planet can only have a single owner.

That's cool. I wanted to do a Marsian Russans dual-start for a USA vs the Reds with a friend.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Randarkman posted:

Not that wrong necessarily. Population experts estimate that Africa will almost rival Asia in population by the 22nd or 23rd century I think. Though there should be more Asians, especially vague ones.

Why not both?

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Gonna play Cyberpunk Space Japan after my bewildering and incomprehensible eusocial insect an-cap empire.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I am deadly serious.

You're a little wrong; white people have been in Italy since before the Roman Empire began, and Romanized Germanics were common in Rome since like 250 AD, since they were considered more trustworthy soldiers/generals than Italians or Illyrians - less likely to just take a legion and try to start a coup.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
https://twitter.com/producerjohan/media

Johan has been posting a few HOI4 screens, most of them are from that Norway screenshot thread but there are a few more not shown in it. He was doing an Italian Campaign before but had to stop do to incompatible save game.

Tuskin38 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 26, 2015

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 5, 2018

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

The Sharmat posted:

Gonna play Cyberpunk Space Japan after my bewildering and incomprehensible eusocial insect an-cap empire.

Why do you want to play the same game twice?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Demiurge4 posted:

Not gonna lie, I just discovered you can play as a fungoid in Stellaris and now I'm abandoning my plans for a militaristic humanity and going with these dudes:

Spiritual collectivists?

You'd need to mod in a special ending for if you actually manage to convert all the Non and Void into Juffo-Wup though.

I just want a space game where the Orz arrive and are exactly as incomprehensible as the Orz.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kulkasha posted:

You forget Cisalpine Gaul, now known as Northern Italy, which had that name for a reason. It's more likely that Rome was much more ethnically diverse than we mentally picture it.

Cisalpine scum.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's a video game, I think you can probably assume it's an abstraction for the sake of play-ability. Limitations on how many Characters you can have leads to more decision making and less micromanagement.

I don't know if you've ever played Dominions 4 or not, but I'd use that as an example of why unlimited numbers of leaders is potentially a horrifying thing for a 4x.
Except I micromanage where the few leaders I have go so I get the best bonus at the right time in the right place/ect. I dont like the concept that there are a bunch of super-amazing dudes that I am managing but everyone else is an identical incompetent nincompoop with the same stats and same lack of abilities/specialties/whatever.

Tomn posted:

For an in-game justification, while there's no shortage of people who can fill any given position, there IS a limited pool of top-class talent and it's possible to come up with scenarios where the best and the brightest gravitate to, say, the Navy and the civilian sector while the Army gets the shaft. Possibly the leaders in Stellaris represent the particularly outstanding folks at the top without bothering to represent all the other guys who are competent but who won't really make headlines.
This can be abstracted a number of ways, though, and having a small pool of leaders for the player to manage seems like a pain. This is Paradox that made CKII, which has rulers from the Barony level to Emperor - why cant my planets, fleets, ect all have a generic milquetoast leader who gets modifiers from a 'global' leadership modifier my gov type, research, policies, ect determine that can have random events give me a random chance to make them exceptional? It would be less complicated than CKII because there would be no dynastic politics. If I found a new colony it should automatically get a leader or I can assign it a leader from my existing pool, and that one taken from the pool would be replaced by a random milquetoast nobody who then himself would be affected by random events and stuff to maybe turn into someone special that you promote or a clown that you fire into the sun.

edit: Thinking more about it I am just arguing about personal preference. I can understand the way they are doing it, I guess I am just tired of that method and would like something more....Paradox.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 26, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

AdjectiveNoun posted:

You're a little wrong; white people have been in Italy since before the Roman Empire began, and Romanized Germanics were common in Rome since like 250 AD, since they were considered more trustworthy soldiers/generals than Italians or Illyrians - less likely to just take a legion and try to start a coup.
I was not deadly serious.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Edit: I'm pretty sure there's a pithy saying about this kind of thing about taking an extreme position on the internet for comedic purposes

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Trying to be non-racist by ironically looping back to the neo-fascist standpoint of "Only Germanic peoples are REALLY 'white'" is dumb.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Why do you want to play the same game twice?

Touche.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Bort Bortles posted:

Except I micromanage where the few leaders I have go so I get the best bonus at the right time in the right place/ect. I dont like the concept that there are a bunch of super-amazing dudes that I am managing but everyone else is an identical incompetent nincompoop with the same stats and same lack of abilities/specialties/whatever.

This can be abstracted a number of ways, though, and having a small pool of leaders for the player to manage seems like a pain. This is Paradox that made CKII, which has rulers from the Barony level to Emperor - why cant my planets, fleets, ect all have a generic milquetoast leader who gets modifiers from a 'global' leadership modifier my gov type, research, policies, ect determine that can have random events give me a random chance to make them exceptional? It would be less complicated than CKII because there would be no dynastic politics. If I found a new colony it should automatically get a leader or I can assign it a leader from my existing pool, and that one taken from the pool would be replaced by a random milquetoast nobody who then himself would be affected by random events and stuff to maybe turn into someone special that you promote or a clown that you fire into the sun.

edit: Thinking more about it I am just arguing about personal preference. I can understand the way they are doing it, I guess I am just tired of that method and would like something more....Paradox.

You will note that micromanaging your leaders down to the barony level in CK2 is one of the most mind numbing experiences possible once you get past a certain size. I can kind of see why you might want lots of leaders (although I think you're probably overestimating how much you'll enjoy it in practice) but I think for all but 1% of the playerbase it just adds needless confusion and an enormous amount of micromanagement for next to no benefit whatsoever.

it also sounds like something that'll be incredibly easy to mod, leader cap is the sort of value that's in defines.lua I expect.

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

The Sharmat posted:

Trying to be non-racist by ironically looping back to the neo-fascist standpoint of "Only Germanic peoples are REALLY 'white'" is dumb.

I don't think the Germanic peoples were the only ones that were White, I brought them (and Celts) up because I did mistakenly think ABP was being serious about the origin of 'white people in Italy' and was trying to follow their logic of 'whiter than Italians'. Obviously race is just a social construct and the definition of whiteness has shifted dramatically over the centuries (not to mention the classical Romans didn't have the same conceptions of race we do in modern days), but I promise I'm not some neo-fascist, dude.

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
You also only get a few generals at a time in EU4, even when you have several hundred thousand soldiers in arms. :shrug:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fuligin posted:

Very true, although by late antiquity the idea had diffused enough that people in Britain and Egypt could bothl unselfconsciously call themselves "Romans" and citizens of "Romania."

Yeah, some Greeks in Thrace even had a go at cosplaying as "Romans". :lol:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

You will note that micromanaging your leaders down to the barony level in CK2 is one of the most mind numbing experiences possible once you get past a certain size. I can kind of see why you might want lots of leaders (although I think you're probably overestimating how much you'll enjoy it in practice) but I think for all but 1% of the playerbase it just adds needless confusion and an enormous amount of micromanagement for next to no benefit whatsoever.

it also sounds like something that'll be incredibly easy to mod, leader cap is the sort of value that's in defines.lua I expect.
I could go on about what I think would be best, but I wont. To sum it up - I want the leaders in use to be dynamic in the background: if there is this generic pool of leaders to pick from the game could just randomly assign one to lead a new colony or replace a dead one. If, however, I want to put a leader who -through background events I am not managing- is a great industrialist, I could chose to sort the list by stats and select him to lead my new colony...it is just a few optional clicks. Whatever position he was in before is auto-backfilled. There would in essence be little actual micromanagement - I just want to feel like I am managing a group of leaders rather than sticking whomever I have wherever because I only have 3 dudes to pick from despite having a dozen colonies to manage.

edit: If you played "Endless Space" you may understand my fear better - at the start of the game you get 3 leaders in your pool of hire-able leaders. Certain leaders are home-run hitters from the get go and can develop into someone that turns any fleet that they are in command of into inter-dimensional murder machines, while other leaders you can get are garbo and can develop into okay-ish given enough time. It is all a crapshoot that is RNG based rather than having anything to do with my decisions, skills, or game-goals.
An idea I had about that, which could very well end up being neat for Stallaris, is that you can click on the "recruit a leader" button and pick the traits you want them to have (there are only 5 traits to pick from) and if you pick a leader with the same traits as a leader you already have it costs way more so you cant load up on the same type of leader.

GSD posted:

You also only get a few generals at a time in EU4, even when you have several hundred thousand soldiers in arms. :shrug:
This is something I have been less than thrilled about in EU4 for some time. When I pay 50 of my precious MP for a general and get some shitter with 4 fire and zero shock in 1475 I am annoyed. Why dont I have a pool of leaders to pick from? Why cant I pay my 50 MP for an older more experienced general who wont improve much before he retires/dies or for a younger up-and-comer who may improve (or get worse!) in his career that still may have 20 or 30 years? You can pay 50 MP for a general or admiral who dies 5 years later.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 26, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I just want Paradox to do Rome 2 so I can see people shitpost on their forums about Seleukos Nikator's miscegenation and how Persians can never be true Hellenes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Bort Bortles posted:

I could go on about what I think would be best, but I wont. To sum it up - I want the leaders in use to be dynamic in the background: if there is this generic pool of leaders to pick from the game could just randomly assign one to lead a new colony or replace a dead one. If, however, I want to put a leader who -through background events I am not managing- is a great industrialist, I could chose to sort the list by stats and select him to lead my new colony...it is just a few optional clicks. Whatever position he was in before is auto-backfilled. There would in essence be little actual micromanagement - I just want to feel like I am managing a group of leaders rather than sticking whomever I have wherever because I only have 3 dudes to pick from despite having a dozen colonies to manage.

Having an unlimited pool of leaders like that sounds like it'll just make you care about them a whole lot less. It's a lot easier to keep track of just a few people and actually get somewhat invested in them. I can see how it kinda sounds like it'll make things seem busier and more alive, but I think in practice all it'll do is take away a huge chunk of the uniqueness of the characters you actually care about for very little benefit.

e: actually there's a really good example for this, just look at Total War Rome 2. They switched from a limited selection of leaders that were slow to replace and turned it into an unlimited pool, and suddenly people started caring about their generals a whole lot less, even though they were still about as detailed as they had been in the older titles.

quote:

edit: If you played "Endless Space" you may understand my fear better - at the start of the game you get 3 leaders in your pool of hire-able leaders. Certain leaders are home-run hitters from the get go and can develop into someone that turns any fleet that they are in command of into inter-dimensional murder machines, while other leaders you can get are garbo and can develop into okay-ish given enough time. It is all a crapshoot that is RNG based rather than having anything to do with my decisions, skills, or game-goals.
An idea I had about that, which could very well end up being neat for Stallaris, is that you can click on the "recruit a leader" button and pick the traits you want them to have (there are only 5 traits to pick from) and if you pick a leader with the same traits as a leader you already have it costs way more so you cant load up on the same type of leader.

This is something I have been less than thrilled about in EU4 for some time. When I pay 50 of my precious MP for a general and get some shitter with 4 fire and zero shock in 1475 I am annoyed. Why dont I have a pool of leaders to pick from? Why cant I pay my 50 MP for an older more experienced general who wont improve much before he retires/dies or for a younger up-and-comer who may improve (or get worse!) in his career that still may have 20 or 30 years? You can pay 50 MP for a general or admiral who dies 5 years later.

This just sounds like you want to be able to get all the best leaders all the time. I dunno about Endless Space, but in EU4 you're totally able to make your leaders better, it just takes a lot of investment through ideas and army tradition. When you give people a selection of traits to choose from, all that happens is they take all the best ones all the time and there end up being totally optimal play strategies. Randomness avoids that somewhat.

Also no state in history has been able to just hand pick the best and brightest in their country. You're dealing with corrupt and self interested nobles, if you don't like it, spend another 50 MP to strip some poor guy of his title and find a replacement, otherwise make do.

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 27, 2015

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I was tempted to link another "Germany was not the aggressor in WW2" thread from HoI-4, but drat that's weak poo poo compared to the Stellaris stuff.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I was tempted to link another "Germany was not the aggressor in WW2" thread from HoI-4, but drat that's weak poo poo compared to the Stellaris stuff.
That's because the Nazis already lost WW2, while we can still dream of them returning and conquering Earth in the future!

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Will Stellaris have an option to orbitally insert passive aggressive pamphlets instead of marines?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

Having an unlimited pool of leaders like that sounds like it'll just make you care about them a whole lot less. It's a lot easier to keep track of just a few people and actually get somewhat invested in them. I can see how it kinda sounds like it'll make things seem busier and more alive, but I think in practice all it'll do is take away a huge chunk of the uniqueness of the characters you actually care about for very little benefit.

e: actually there's a really good example for this, just look at Total War Rome 2. They switched from a limited selection of leaders that were slow to replace and turned it into an unlimited pool, and suddenly people started caring about their generals a whole lot less, even though they were about as detailed as they had been in the older titles.

This just sounds like you want to be able to get all the best leaders all the time. I dunno about Endless Space, but in EU4 you're totally able to make your leaders better, it just takes a lot of investment through ideas and army tradition. When you give people a selection of traits to choose from, all that happens is they take all the best ones all the time and there end up being totally optimal play strategies. Randomness avoids that somewhat.

Also no state in history has been able to just hand pick the best and brightest in their country. You're dealing with corrupt and self interested nobles, if you don't like it, spend another 50 MP to strip some poor guy of his title and find a replacement, otherwise make do.
Eh, this is why I am not going to go on about it - opinions vary. I dont have the effort to articulate my point so I am going to drop it. I'm not saying "I want whatever I want whenever I want it" I am saying "I am tired of getting hosed by the RNG". If I wanted to "deal with it and make do" I wouldnt play videogames to try to relax after a long day at work.

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

I will always laugh at that poo poo, feel free to post it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Bort Bortles posted:

I will always laugh at that poo poo, feel free to post it.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/reasonable-peace-treaty.888432/

These are long but, IMO, worth the read.

quote:

Hey guys..

I was argueing with myself about where to post this for quite long, i wanted to post it in history forum first, but then i thought it might be nice to talk about in hoi4 forum as well, because i would like to know if you guys would think something along this lines to be reasonable in the game.

The topic i want to talk about (which has been discussed in this forums for years now), is the option of great britain accepting a peace with germany 1941 / late 1940.

I often think about alternate history and "what if" scenarios. One of it beeing what if i was the fuhrer 1940.

Thing is, i would probably right away try to make peace with great britain, and gave some thought to a peace treaty.
Eventually, i came up with a treaty, which i think would be impossible for great britain to take down, because i can not imagine why britain would not accept the offer. On the other hand, i would like your opinion on the matter, and would like to know if you think such peace offers should be possible ingame..

Here it comes:

"In Name of the Fuhrer XXX, the greater german empire offers the british empire peace under the following terms:

1. Great Britain accepts german hegemony over germanic Europe (Greater Germany, Skandinavia, Netherland)
2. Great Britain accepts Greater Germanys borders.
3. Germany will release central poland as an sovereign polish state and guarantee its independence and protection of the sowjet union. The released state will have access to one dedicated german trading port.
4. Germany will return occupied french territory to france, elsass lorraine will stay german.
5. Germany will sign a naval fleet aggreement with great britain and refrain from building a navy as long as great britain aknowledges the german empires sphere of influence.
6. Germany will stay out of french politics, france will retain full sovereignity.
7. Germany will sign an non aggression pact with great britain and france.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly.. i dont see a reason for neither germany nor britain not to accept such a peace offer.. i mean, it would have been a win / win for everyone wouldnt it? Germany would have had the option to fight russia all out with its eastern allies afterwards/prepare for the war with russia, while great britain and france would have basically left war with status quo + germany destroying its fleet to ensure britains safety.
On top of that, the united states could have acted as guarantee for germany holding up to its bargains.
In fact i dont see a reason for the need of an never ending exhaustion war with britain.. i really dont see it anywhere. I mean. Releasing a small polish buffer state between sowjet union and german empire wouldnt have been that much of a downer i believe, germany would still have received the corridor, elsass lorraine, denmark and netherlands, enough for pretty borders and ressouces, i´m sure..

quote:

why do we teach people that germany wanted the war? Shouldnt history books not say that britain wanted the war? I mean it just doesnt make sense.
I mean, if there was no option for germany, which clearly won the war 1940, to white peace with britain, shouldnt history depict great britain as the war mongering state instead of germany then?
Great britain & france declared war on germany, germany tried to peace out all the time, britain and france decline, they get beaten, they still decline peace, they get air raided. They complain.

I quite dont get the logic behind it. Germany didnt start the war (only with poland, declaration of war came by britain/france), and tried to end it with reasonable peace offers early on, so why is germany the bad boy in the story? From political point of view (Because of forum rules and.. reasons lets not look at atrocitys).

It just doent appear right to me

quote:

I'm still not sure that Sweden, Norway, and Denmark would all want to become a part of Germany though. Like I said about the annexation of Austria at the Moscow Declarations, no one really wanted Austria to be part of Germany, so I doubt they would also want Scandinavia part of Germany though

Well, denmark was occupied by germany, they lost. So they have nothing to say in that matter, there even have been some supporters of an greater nordic union. Norway and sweden.. well, they were certainly german influence sphere, but "annexing" i think would have been off too, it would have boiled down to something like European union i guess.

But i dont see denmark/netherlands having any say in their independence after declaring war against germany, they basically fought a war, they lost it. No right to argue about losing their territory afterwards. Its the same with germany that lost all of eastern germany in ww2 (east prussia, slesia), and wasnt asked about it.

If you declare war on a country, and you lose, you lose territory.. the thing is, that Britain and Germany were both in war and it was evident, that britain alone couldnt win, so why would it not accept such a favourable peace offer?

I mean, even if we look at it from todays perspective.. i think if britain would have accepted such a thing, it wouldnt have lost its british empire, and britain would be a much more prosperous place today. Instead the world war basically resulted in britain collapsing. Not a good deal if you ask me.

quote:

what a bunch of hitler/nazi germany sympathisers
?
Why would you be a Nazi Sympathiser only because you think that britain was aggressive-anti german oriented?

Its like saying everyone who is glad that russia won in ww2 was/is a stalinist... clearly not the case.

But i admitt, that i hugely regrett that my country lost world war 2. And i also admitt, that i would have supported the war versus poland and that i would have done the same.

However that doesnt mean that you/ i sympathise with nazi germany. I sympathise with my fatherland and would have preferred it, if my country never lost ww2. However i dont say that i think world war 2 was a good thing, nor that invasion of russia was good. Nor do i sympathise with the ideology, since i am monarchist.

Be honest with yourself, if your country was run by an maniac/idiot, would you want to see it go under because of it? Or would you want to "survive" the idiot?

I would want to survive the idiot. That doesnt mean i would have liked the idiot. And if i was born during world war 2, i would have probably died for my country, like millions others, not because i am sympathiser or anything, but because thats what it means to serve your country, no matter what´s the order, since everything else would be treason. And while i would have been up to and supported an military uprising in peace times, and probably helped to bring hitler down during peace, there is no way i would betray my country during times of war and endanger my countrys unity.

Thats what i admitt, and what i stand behind, but that does, in no way represents sympathising with nazi germany or hitler, it just represents you, staying behind your country.

And for the others, since i cant speak for them, i would still question that we have many nazi-sympathisers in this thread, i think instead of sympathising, they simply try to see it from an neutral perspective, since if you look at it the neutral way - why would a country - that seeks a war with another country, and wants to lead the war at all costs, even if it means millions of civil deaths on both sides, and would drag in countless other countrys into war that way, not be considered a "war mongering" state? (im talking about britain).

Also this guy is starting a 'roleplay' group for an HoI playthrough. Shockingly, the position of Furher was already taken by someone before he even posted it up...