Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

abraham linksys posted:

I'll maybe grab a Disclosure ticket
Having just seen them a couple weeks ago myself, DO THIS. They're so worth seeing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Having just seen them a couple weeks ago myself, DO THIS. They're so worth seeing.

I saw them a couple years ago in Central Park and they owned!! Just not sure about MSG is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uC5RJIoeOE

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

ricecult posted:

I always feel a little shameless putting my own stuff up, but my band Rice Cultivation Society has a new album coming out soon called "Mystical Shitheads." We just put out a video for one of the new songs that our label made using archival footage. It's trippier than our previous stuff, also heavier and more rock.

Not bad at all.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

abraham linksys posted:

I don't have the +$10/mo reserve-further-in-advance plan, so I'm a little worried about not managing to grab a spot at that show. I had no trouble reserving a War on Drugs ticket, but that was at a twice-the-size venue.

I guess if I fail to get a ticket for that, I'll maybe grab a Disclosure ticket, since I wonder how the hell this would even work at MSG. They don't give out tickets in advance for most shows, just add you to the will call list, which I don't think MSG even has

Yeah, I recently signed up and used the $10 referral credit to upgrade just for Courtney. For the MSG show, you'll probably have to pick up a ticket in your name from Will Call at the box office. I'm assuming Jukely's allotment of seats will just be scattered throughout the 200s.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

And from 4 pages ago this is the the FKA band Dale Earnhardt jr jr. They only changed it because they felt bad unwitting people would drive miles to see an obscure indie band.

And the joke was tiring.

edit: To add MORE MUSIC FOR Q3 2015 BØRNS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDTYp4a_eWM

for fans of pop with synth elements, not syth pop.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Oct 20, 2015

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I watched a tiny desk concert with Deqn Sue, if you haven't heard her, she's really good and super catchy imo. I'm a sucker for good pop

(Probably don't watch this first one at work if anyone can see over your shoulder)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pOYxzahlKE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IuH98Xn44w

Here's her NPR Tiny Desk (different than the above video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeZ_gq7DdsY

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

interpunct posted:

Yeah, I recently signed up and used the $10 referral credit to upgrade just for Courtney. For the MSG show, you'll probably have to pick up a ticket in your name from Will Call at the box office. I'm assuming Jukely's allotment of seats will just be scattered throughout the 200s.

I forgot about it until just now and I got a Courtney Barnett ticket an hour after they went up for everyone :shrug:

I'm going to be very sad once more people start using Jukely, I reckon, but so far they've got so few users and what users they have seem super EDM-focused that it was super easy to get a spot for this and War on Drugs. Disclosure's still open too, so I suspect either they've got a really big block of tickets for that or people are waiting until after a Thursday/Friday show to pick up an RSVP for it, since you can only hold one spot at a time.

I'm actually seeing Neon Indian at Baby's at midnight that night, so I am super super excited to see two shows without moving between venues! I expect I will be obnoxiously drunk by the end of that night.

I'm also seeing We Are Scientists next week because it was a cheap show and I really just want to hear them play their first record but will begrudgingly give anything else they play a try

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

abraham linksys posted:

I'm actually seeing Neon Indian at Baby's at midnight that night, so I am super super excited to see two shows without moving between venues! I expect I will be obnoxiously drunk by the end of that night.

If their "open bar" is anything like it was on Tuesday night, the free choices will be Bell's Lake Lager, Tiger Beer, and Tito's vodka. Load up on vodka and enjoy seeing Porches for the millionth time.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 22, 2015

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
The Carrie & Lowell thread never really took off and is locked so I'll put this here. Sufjan remixed Blue Bucket of Gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36iHy42s1Y0

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I remember seeing Neon Indian open for The Flaming Lips at a Mississippi stop during their World Record 24 hour tour. He was amazing and by the time the Flaming Lips got on stage I was like "eh whatever." Granted that's a bit unfair since it was 4 am and everyone including the band was haggard as hell, but still... Neon Indian is really good live.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

ThatsMyBoye posted:

The Carrie & Lowell thread never really took off and is locked so I'll put this here. Sufjan remixed Blue Bucket of Gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36iHy42s1Y0

This is a good remix. It's cool how Sufjan is so good with both folk indie stuff and electronic stuff.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-xM202ZpI4

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I was looking through my music catalog and I noticed that 2009 specifically (or slightly broader late 2008-2009) was probably the best emergent time period I can ever remember for indie rock. A ton of bands I'd either never heard of, or who had somewhat less notable previous albums, just exploded out of the gate or put out their arguably best albums all within about a year of each other. It's worth noting that social media was becoming a lot more prominent in that time, and it could also be a factor that the Bush era was finally ending and creative indie artists finally had something to be happy about. In any case it's a weird synchronicity. Just about all of the really good indie albums I've picked up in the last decade or so were 2009 or very close to it.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
There've been other years like that too. 2002-2003 is a time when I remember a crazy amount of "holy poo poo" albums coming out, including (iirc) Spoon's Kill The Moonlight, Wilco's YHF, The Postal Service's Give Up, The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi, and Iron and Wine's Our Endless Numbered Days. It just felt to me like the entirety of music sorta sat down and said "Okay, let's figure out which ideas we're going to be expanding on for the next decade".

e: Our Endless Numbered Days was early 2004, apparently. Weird, because I could swear I remember listening to it when I lived in Florida, but I moved to California in 2003. Dammit, brain, get your poo poo together.

Trig Discipline fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 25, 2015

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Rock music has always had a cycles like this. Just imagine all the bands you're not listening to right now that haven't even popped up on anyone's radar yet.

There is a lot of garage rock out there that is looking to bust through, which I suspect the predominant force in the next few years (just based on HOW MANY BANDS there are). Bands like Corners are still working their way up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtokIOGCPDk

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

There've been other years like that too. 2002-2003 is a time when I remember a crazy amount of "holy poo poo" albums coming out, including (iirc) Spoon's Kill The Moonlight, Wilco's YHF, The Postal Service's Give Up, The Flaming Lips' Yoshimi, and Iron and Wine's Our Endless Numbered Days. It just felt to me like the entirety of music sorta sat down and said "Okay, let's figure out which ideas we're going to be expanding on for the next decade".

e: Our Endless Numbered Days was early 2004, apparently. Weird, because I could swear I remember listening to it when I lived in Florida, but I moved to California in 2003. Dammit, brain, get your poo poo together.
2000-2005 was just an extremely good time for music: Nickelback, Eminem, the Black Eyed Peas, the Killers, even the early days of Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I twitched reading that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

2000-2005 was just an extremely good time for music: Nickelback, Eminem, the Black Eyed Peas, the Killers, even the early days of Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance.

u fucker

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
At least it's not EDM/Dubstep

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I write posts not tragedies.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Grimes is here y'all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE

Album out Nov. 9, Janelle Monae is on a track: http://pitchfork.com/news/61760-grimes-releases-flesh-without-bloodlife-in-the-vivid-dream-video-announces-art-angels-details/

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I'm pretty hyped for new Grimes. I was never a big fan of her stuff, but the single Realiti got me pretty pumped for new stuff. She didn't put it on her album saying something like it will be even better material. So this album is either going to be amazing, or total garbage.

E-- Ok, according to the link, Realiti is on it now.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

according to that pitchfork article it's gonna be on the album, heh

quote:

01 laughing and not being normal
02 California
03 SCREAM [ft. Aristophanes]
04 Flesh without Blood
05 Belly of the beat
06 Kill V. Maim
07 Artangels
08 Easily
09 Pin
10 Realiti
11 World Princess part II
12 Venus Fly [ft. Janelle Monáe]
13 Life in the Vivid Dream
14 Butterfly

(these are extremely good track names)

I like Realiti more than the new track but it also had like months to grow on me so I dunno. Oblivion may be my single favorite song of 2012 though??

Also, I'm thinking, and this has to be the biggest event album left in 2015 unless Frank Ocean miraculously reappears, right

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 26, 2015

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh poo poo, I've got tickets to see her for the first time on the 9th. That's the day the album drops? Rad!

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I'm seeing her on the 16th, also for the first time, and pretty excited! Don't know how she is live, though. Expecting her voice to be completely drowned out by Terminal 5's usually-terrible acoustics, so I kinda hope she at least brings a cool stage show

e: an extended tracklisting shows "Realiti (demo)" is a bonus track on the CD version, and that "Realiti" is only on the CD and digital version (so, presumedly not the vinyl). weird!

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Oct 26, 2015

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I think Grimes has outlasted her shelf life. Go was dubstep garbage which I assume she realized and prompted her to throw away an entire album's worth of content. Realiti was good progression from Visions but that new track is worse than average pop you hear on top 40 radio and never think twice about. Carly Rae Jepsen managed to put out an entire album of content that is more compelling.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Not really diggin' that Grimes (don't know any of her other stuff), but Seinabo Sey's EP dropped and is pretty good!

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgdOs5-3VWQ

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 26, 2015

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you

abraham linksys posted:

Also, I'm thinking, and this has to be the biggest event album left in 2015 unless Frank Ocean miraculously reappears, right

Ya probably but I think the new Chromatics album could be just as big or even bigger considering how much Chromatics music appears in tv, advertising, and movies these days. They also seem like they're on the edge of breaking out even more and I wouldn't be surprised if a new Chromatics album gets a lot of mainstream attention.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Never been a huge fan of Grimes and this new track isn't really changing my mind. It just feels like some airy, nondescript synthpop that a bunch of other acts are doing better these days.

I'm kinda surprised the new Joanna Newsom album isn't getting more buzz. I think it's on the same level as her last two albums.

theghostpt
Sep 1, 2009
I'm actually liking that new Grimes stuff, it's at least making me curious to listen to the rest of the album. It's definitely very different from what she had released previously :stare:

theghostpt fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 27, 2015

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Flesh without Blood is alright, I'm not really wowed though. Hopefully it will be streaming next week and I can get a better idea of what the album will be like.

I think it may have been mentioned in here, don't really know where else to put it. I saw Run the Jewels live over the weekend, and it is the most intense poo poo I've ever been apart of. drat those dudes put on a great show.

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Slandible posted:

Flesh without Blood is alright, I'm not really wowed though. Hopefully it will be streaming next week and I can get a better idea of what the album will be like.

I think it may have been mentioned in here, don't really know where else to put it. I saw Run the Jewels live over the weekend, and it is the most intense poo poo I've ever been apart of. drat those dudes put on a great show.

Lie, Cheat, Steal live with audience participation is hype as gently caress. I saw CHVRCHES 2 weeks ago and it was amazing. Their new album is so good. The guy singing High Enough To Carry You Over has gotten better but drat he has a thick accent.

The day after I saw some dude in the gym wearing a CHVRCHES hat and shirt and we talked about the concert, it was weird. Dude's going to make it all sweaty.

I'm going to see Grimes on Wednesday so I'll see how the new stuff is. Maybe they play a lot better live.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I too saw Chvrches and RTJ in about a two week span. Probably the best shows this year.

Assuming you mean Under the Tide for Chvrches? Aside from this year, I also saw them early last year and can attest that that song live is incredible.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

endlosnull posted:

Lie, Cheat, Steal live with audience participation is hype as gently caress. I saw CHVRCHES 2 weeks ago and it was amazing. Their new album is so good. The guy singing High Enough To Carry You Over has gotten better but drat he has a thick accent.

The day after I saw some dude in the gym wearing a CHVRCHES hat and shirt and we talked about the concert, it was weird. Dude's going to make it all sweaty.

I'm going to see Grimes on Wednesday so I'll see how the new stuff is. Maybe they play a lot better live.

I doubt it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeuwBcpKK6g

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm really digging that new Grimes track. Yeah, its sound might be similar to Top 40 hits but Flesh Without Blood is a cut above. The song has tone, some great hard-hitting bass drums, and a slight industrial tinge that makes it very toe-tapping and if more Top 40 Hits had as much personality as Flesh Without Blood I would listen to a lot more pop radio.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
No idea whether this thread works, but Josh Ritter's live show is pretty loving sweet. He looks so drat happy to be singing and playing on the stage its infectious, and I liked the live version of most of his new songs more than the album.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

She may be bad live, but enduringly bad live. Grimes is so adamant about PLAYING all the parts of the song when she should be singing.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Man, I really like her stuff, but that video/song does nothing for me. It's no Oblivion, that's for sure.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm kinda surprised the new Joanna Newsom album isn't getting more buzz. I think it's on the same level as her last two albums.

I think the biggest problem is that Joanna Newsom is adamantly against subscription services, so a lot of her potential audience doesn't get to hear her new stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timebandit
Mar 22, 2004

Boywhiz88 posted:

Sigur Ros benefits from seats for sure.

I know this is old but I gotta say I disagree. Saw them a few times, twice seated, once at an outdoor show (in fact it was the inaugural Skyline Stage show at the Mann in Philly), and the outdoor standing show was the best, most collectively emotional show I could have ever hoped for. Such a special moment for everybody in attendance.