Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
And that blonde girl's name was. . . Katey Cuoco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

And that blonde girl's name was. . . Katey Cuoco.

On that note, The Big Bang Theory. I legit enjoyed it at one point. Then they all got girlfriends and it became kind of lame.

As was mentioned before, Dexter and Sons of Anarchy. I enjoyed both shows and even forgave their crappy third seasons and liked some elements of them. I thought both had really good fourth seasons, although SOA capped it off poorly. I think the problem both encountered around the same time was that they wrote a great story, but also wrote themselves into a corner and didn't want to end just yet due to the success. So they both did extremely stupid things to keep the show going, which included painting their scumbag "protagonists" as heroes despite development to the contrary beforehand. As a result, they had shaky fifth seasons, followed by sixth seasons that ended with huge things that should have been big, but thanks to the horrific writing ended up being nothing. Then they both fizzled out and ended with whimpers. Really, both shows should have ended with five seasons. Keep Dexter's the same, then take Sons' last three and compress them into one. The endings still would have sucked, but at least we wouldn't have had to put up with them for as long.

And while I enjoyed it when I watched it through the first time, I think Oz should have stopped after maybe five seasons. They really ran out of ideas by the time season four's first half (or as I like to call it, season four) ended.

EDIT: Holy gently caress, The Big Bang Theory is still running? Sorry about that. Could have swore I heard it was canned. To replace it, I'm gonna say Roseanne should have died before that god awful final season that ended with a reveal even worse than "it was all just a dream." Turns out, Roseanne was writing a book the entire series, and season nine was one hundred percent fictional. Oh yeah, and her daughters' boyfriends were switched because she thought they fit better. Also, Dan died. gently caress you, season nine.

JaddaCaddra fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 3, 2015

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
But the girlfriends on BBT are like the best part of the show. I would totally watch a spinoff that's just Penny, Amy, and Bernadette.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

While I don't actually like Roseanne Season 9, I have to respect that they did such a batshit left turn with it to close it out. I secretly always hope that another sitcom will attempt that but actually do it well, like Raising Hope or something.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Maxwell Lord posted:

But the girlfriends on BBT are like the best part of the show. I would totally watch a spinoff that's just Penny, Amy, and Bernadette.

Wow, the only one who doesn't have a girlfriend is the indian one?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Gaunab posted:

Wow, the only one who doesn't have a girlfriend is the indian one?

He has one, too.

Leonard and Penny are married. Sheldon and Amy are split up for now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Maxwell Lord posted:

The few episodes of that show I have seen, I thought that Penny, Amy, Bernadette and Leonard were the only likable ones at all.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

flashy_mcflash posted:

Roseanne Season 9, I have to respect that they did such a batshit left turn with it to close it out.

I saw bits and pieces of the show in real time but never watched it faithfully. A couple years ago when someone told me the ending, it blew my loving mind. One of those things where I was like "wow, that's so sad" even though to that point I never gave a poo poo.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I used to love Psych, lost interest in it (and didn't have cable) and recently watched it on Netflix. Woof, that show went downhill, especially after Shawn and Juliet got together. Maybe it was because I wasn't watching it week to week, but drat Shawn went from being funny to just like... a smug prick. The jokes just seemed tired and the pop culture references just got more and more grating.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

LadyPictureShow posted:

I used to love Psych, lost interest in it (and didn't have cable) and recently watched it on Netflix. Woof, that show went downhill, especially after Shawn and Juliet got together. Maybe it was because I wasn't watching it week to week, but drat Shawn went from being funny to just like... a smug prick. The jokes just seemed tired and the pop culture references just got more and more grating.

Yeah I'd agree with that, I quit very early on in the season before the last one because Shawn was just mean spirited at that point and everything about the show felt worn out and bad. I did the same thing with Burn Notice now that I think about USA shows that started out really good.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Yeah, it started to go a bit sour when it got to the point where he wasn't even pretending to be psychic anymore, and the only conflict came from Shawn/Jules drama and moments where the writers suddenly remembered the main concept of the show and were like "Oh yeah, he's supposed to be pretending to do the psychic thing, we should add that to the relationship drama!"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I think something I read recently was that USA's Up All Night in its last few years was only the show in name only: They got rid of the hosts, they got rid of the B-movies and focused more on more mainstream films but kept the name.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

flashy_mcflash posted:

While I don't actually like Roseanne Season 9, I have to respect that they did such a batshit left turn with it to close it out. I secretly always hope that another sitcom will attempt that but actually do it well, like Raising Hope or something.

Norm MacDonald has said that the original pitch/writing for A Minute With Stan Hooper was for the first season to end with a drifter murdering the entire cast, so it would have to be a one-season show. Then he said the network execs got antsy about it and had them rewrite it as a typical sitcom that got stale and cancelled anyway halfway through its first season.

I think he might be wildly exaggerating, because you never know with Norm, but that would be an insane left turn.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

raditts posted:

Yeah, it started to go a bit sour when it got to the point where he wasn't even pretending to be psychic anymore, and the only conflict came from Shawn/Jules drama and moments where the writers suddenly remembered the main concept of the show and were like "Oh yeah, he's supposed to be pretending to do the psychic thing, we should add that to the relationship drama!"

The last episode I remember watching was when some secret masked villain turned out to be his mom. I think it was a season finale and I never went back to it. Can someone one summarize what's happened since?

Also why did Dr. Amber CutThroatBitch get replaced after the pilot?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I think the secret villain actually kidnapped his mom, and turned out to be some crazy lady who was obsessed with him. She made a couple occasional cameos.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

IRQ posted:

I did the same thing with Burn Notice now that I think about USA shows that started out really good.
The exact moment that Burn Notice peaked was when Fiona blows up Mark Sheppard's van when he's trying to rob a bank after Michael had so infected Sheppard's crew with paranoia that they were convinced that the van was wired to explode. Then it did. Everything after that very excellent episode was a steady downward slope.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think something I read recently was that USA's Up All Night in its last few years was only the show in name only: They got rid of the hosts, they got rid of the B-movies and focused more on more mainstream films but kept the name.

I never realized the show continued once Shear and Gottfried were out. I guess that is because I (like everyone else) stopped watching it at that point.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

raditts posted:

I think the secret villain actually kidnapped his mom, and turned out to be some crazy lady who was obsessed with him. She made a couple occasional cameos.

Yeah. Something like that. Crazy person (Ally Sheedy) was a neighbor who lived a couple blocks away. Eventually they discover she was just covering for her dad (Peter Weller), the true serial killer.

Not sure why I spoilered that. So little of the plotting in the show makes any sense, that even knowing who the characters are and what they eventually do has no actual bearing on how they manage to get there.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

EricFate posted:

Yeah. Something like that. Crazy person (Ally Sheedy) was a neighbor who lived a couple blocks away. Eventually they discover she was just covering for her dad (Peter Weller), the true serial killer.

Not sure why I spoilered that. So little of the plotting in the show makes any sense, that even knowing who the characters are and what they eventually do has no actual bearing on how they manage to get there.

this is why i had no issue at all hovering over the spoiler text. plot was beyond irrelevant for that show

i dunno maybe if im bored ill throw it on and continue but it doesn't seem like im missing out if I dont :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that Monk probably only needed one or two seasons. Instead we got like 30 seasons. I still can't quite figure out why that show was so popular.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Monk was a good show you cretin

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Monk is really weird for me, because I liked about half of every season, and completely despised the other half. No real way of knowing, episode to episode, which way it would go.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I remember the character of Monk more than I remember the show's plots at all. I vaguely remember one at a wine tasting.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

precision posted:

I remember the character of Monk more than I remember the show's plots at all. I vaguely remember one at a wine tasting.

You don't remember the constant "This TOTALLY has something to do with his wife's death JUST KIDDING!"

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

pentyne posted:

You don't remember the constant "This TOTALLY has something to do with his wife's death JUST KIDDING!"

that's pretty much why I stopped watching. you can only pull that so many times before it gets old. it was a good show but it probably should have gone for the 5 season standard.

how did they end up finishing?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Shadow posted:

that's pretty much why I stopped watching. you can only pull that so many times before it gets old. it was a good show but it probably should have gone for the 5 season standard.

how did they end up finishing?

Craig T. Nelson did it, I think.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Specifically, Craig T. Nelson played a judge who had an affair with Monk's wife before she ever met him, and the affair resulted in an illegitimate child. In order to protect his career, he killed Monk's wife with the car bomb.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
How the hell has Bones not been cancelled yet? It's been a steady downward decline since they made Zach into a serial killer's assistant. And it's STILL GOING.

EDIT: Grimm. This is basically how to kill your show in just half a season. What a monumental series of stupid, stupid decisions..

legoman727 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 27, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

legoman727 posted:

How the hell has Bones not been cancelled yet? It's been a steady downward decline since they made Zach into a serial killer's assistant. And it's STILL GOING.

I dunno, after they finally said "let's sleep together" it's evened out into a mediocre show.

That was about 4 seasons ago.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Monk's biggest problem was that the title character became more and more unlikable until he was just an abusive rear end in a top hat that nobody called on his poo poo by the end. Like mental illness/anxiety isn't an excuse for being a selfish dick head to everyone around you.

The really lovely part was that his second caretaker/assistant was basically just a big doormat for him to step on in every scene, at least the first one fought back and didn't put up with poo poo so much.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Timby posted:

Specifically, Craig T. Nelson played a judge who had an affair with Monk's wife before she ever met him, and the affair resulted in an illegitimate child. In order to protect his career, he killed Monk's wife with the car bomb.

What.
The.
gently caress.

So now that he knows, he was.... ok? Bought himself a hot dog from a street car?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Shadow posted:

What.
The.
gently caress.

So now that he knows, he was.... ok? Bought himself a hot dog from a street car?

His wife's daughter had a lot of her mannerisms, and he was only ever stable around his wife, so with her around he was able to keep his OCD under control again like before his wife was killed. Something like that.

Shadow
Jun 25, 2002
oh good, so the cure is that his wife's estranged daughter who obviously grew up without a mother needs to spend all of her free time around some creepster fuckhead named Adrian.

Cured!

I liked the show but yeah... they could have done better.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

I liked when Tom Scharpling announced on The Best Show that Monk has died of natural causes by now. That made me laugh.

juniperjones
Apr 27, 2012

raditts posted:

His wife's daughter had a lot of her mannerisms, and he was only ever stable around his wife, so with her around he was able to keep his OCD under control again like before his wife was killed. Something like that.

That's the dumbest poo poo I've ever heard. Like somehow, magically, being around a certain person can cure a serious mental illness.

TheLoquid
Nov 5, 2008

computer parts posted:

I dunno, after they finally said "let's sleep together" it's evened out into a mediocre show.

That was about 4 seasons ago.

It was pretty brutal how they skipped over the cathartic romantic moment after doing the will they won't they game for like six seasons. Regardless, that show crashed and burned during the writers strike.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Castle should have been put out of it's misery. It really should have. It went from a show with an eccentric character and voice of reason kind of trope to "everything is batshit stupid and the eccentric guy is probably right." Last time I saw it, he owned his own personal talking AI the size of a pyramid he bought off Amazon. Like, a full loving AI. The show also traded joking about zoom-enhance cliches to reading detailed memos off computer screens from reflections on civilian security cameras.

It's everything it made fun. Put it down.

legoman727 posted:

EDIT: Grimm. This is basically how to kill your show in just half a season. What a monumental series of stupid, stupid decisions..

This will live on in infamy as the sharpest decline of stupidity I've ever seen in my life.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 2, 2015

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Blazing Ownager posted:

This will live on in infamy as the sharpest decline of stupidity I've ever seen in my life.

When was this decline? I relegated this to background noise halfway through season 2.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

red19fire posted:

When was this decline? I relegated this to background noise halfway through season 2.

Probably right around the time they (spoilering just in case) loving made Juliet into a Hexenbiest and then made her go Barbara Keen-level psycho, forcing Nick to kill her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Alter Ego posted:

Probably right around the time they (spoilering just in case) loving made Juliet into a Hexenbiest and then made her go Barbara Keen-level psycho, forcing Nick to kill her.

Could you put that to a season? Like the season number it happened.

• Locked thread