Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
reddit is waging a war on free speech? I am triggered. operation ham sandwich under way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Maldoror posted:

List of top 20 reddit.com/r/starcitizen/ poster's names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses:

• You need a premium account to see this message

:laffo: @ number 7. Didn't he get caught sending dick pics too?

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice
I'm just kinda worried if anyone buys that poo poo if Lowtax got a bunch of chargebacks from it what he'd do this this kinda poo poo.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie
You know, I think that fan artists was a pretty cool guy and I am dissapointed you guys are trying to get a cool dude involved in reddit.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lord Psychodin posted:

I'm just kinda worried if anyone buys that poo poo if Lowtax got a bunch of chargebacks from it what he'd do this this kinda poo poo.

That also worries me, it's the first thing that came to my mind

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lord Psychodin posted:

But you just said you wanted to save redditors money though

fake edit: that's five posts, see you in three months chump

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Lord Psychodin posted:

Id hope he would threaten CiG with Legal Action for damaging his sales of a non-existent game.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

peter gabriel posted:

That also worries me, it's the first thing that came to my mind

Maybe he'll finally add that bitcoin option then, no chargebacks!

Seraph, why haven't you suggested this yet?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Lord Psychodin posted:

Hmm yes I too have trouble with fully formed sentences.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

:pusheen:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Fooma posted:

Maybe he'll finally add that bitcoin option then, no chargebacks!

Seraph, why haven't you suggested this yet?

One can only hope so, I don't know what he'd do this this kinda poo poo.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.pcgamesn.com/star-citizen/star-citizen-as-a-star-studded-single-player-space-story-squadron-42-explained

quote:

What could possibly be worth $93 million? Well, think of it this way: Cloud Imperium now have a scan of Gary Oldman doing duckface. Somewhere on record there’s a Gary Oldman grimacing; a Gary Oldman pouting; a Gary Oldman pulling his jaw back into his face so that the tendons in his neck stick out. Thanks to Ryse veterans 3lateral, the Star Citizen studio now have a tool that allows them to do with Gary Oldman’s face what we did with Mario’s back on the N64, pulling it this way and that like Oscar-nominated putty.

For more star names, check out the best PC space games.

The point of all this Gary abuse is that performance capture doesn’t have to mean only watching movie-like monologues, like the one Oldman’s Admiral Bishop delivers to the United Empire of Earth senate. Cloud Imperium intend to turn their actors into reactive NPCs. Personalities who sit down in the canteen of the UEES Stanton for lunch at 12 o’clock, and who run to man the guns in an emergency. Characters who roll up their sleeves to help with repairs in the aftermath.

In Squadron 42, they plan to turn out a single-player game that tells a story worthy of Wing Commander, and preserves the player freedom of Star Citizen’s space sandbox.

“You see that speech on a big monitor in the game, but literally 95% of the performance capture is all for the player to interact with and depending on what the player does and so forth,” says Erin Roberts, the campaign’s director. “We want players to take little actions which will cause stuff to happen.”

Chris Roberts played down the scale of Squadron 42 in Star Citizen’s initial Kickstarter campaign, pitching a branching series of missions in the Wing Commander vein. But younger brother Erin and his team have set aside huge tracts of space for those missions to take place in.

“You get to go, ‘I’m going to clear off over here and just check this out on my own because I want to’,” he explains. “It’s not like the old Wing Commander where when you take off you go to this point, this point and this point. You take off and you’re in space - you’ll have lots of different locations you can go to.”

Foundry 42 - the Wilmslow and now Frankfurt studio formed to put the campaign together - are constructing their areas from sets: 10 or 12 styles of high and low tech environments which allow for the swift assembly of ships and stations you’ll be able to tell apart (“So people don’t feel like they’re going to the same old places, which happened a lot in the old days”).

Squadron 42

But how do you lend a story in a universe like that structure? As it turns out, Foundry 42 are leaning heavily on that ‘squadron’ conceit. You’re in the navy, and the navy don’t fly off willy-nilly when the feeling takes them.

Turn your back and walk out on the commander during an important ship briefing and you can expect to be arrested and thrown in the brig. Fly way off-course on an important operation and your leaders will “get pissed off with you”.

“There are decisions that you can make but there are consequences to those decisions,” expands Roberts. “[Although] there’s going to be a lot of opportunity for the player to just explore stuff so you get a lot more freedom than you generally get in a story driven game.”

The studio are keen to leave players plenty of room to manoeuvre when it comes to missions - mixtures of extraplanetary and on-the-ground encounters that might go very differently depending on what vehicle you choose to show up in, who you show up with, or whether you choose to go quiet or loud.

When expounding the possibilities in Squadron 42, Erin Roberts is liable to get carried away. In one moment, we’re talking about the long memories of the crew aboard the Stanton, your de facto family for the duration of the campaign. In the next, our conversation is entering the atmosphere of alien planets where, he says, the behaviour of the locals will alter depending on whether or not they’re getting enough minerals, or the population’s in decline, or the economy is failing. The universe he describes is an invisible network of interlocking systems, and you can see the DNA of Richard Garriott’s Origin Systems seeping through, where both Roberts brothers got their start at the turn of the ’90s.

It’s a simulation-first philosophy of game development that’s left a trail of beloved, broken PC games in its wake; playable testaments to ambition unmatched by publisher patience. But perhaps things are different this time. For once, the Roberts’ paymasters are wholly invested in their vision.

“I’ve been doing this over two years and I still can't get over the fact that I don't work for a publisher anymore,” says Roberts. “I work for a community and my job is to keep on showing them all this cool stuff. That’s miles more pressure than working for a publisher, because these guys put their faith in us and you want to repay that.”

What’s more, Erin has the technical weight of Star Citizen behind him. Foundry 42 are drawing assets from the huge MMO-in-testing, as you might imagine, but they’re also looking for opportunities to gather feedback. There are plans to feed sample combat encounters into the Star Citizen alpha as it evolves, collating opinion on what might work well in single-player.

“It’s almost like our beta,” Roberts explains. “With the Large World stuff we basically have the ability for people to go in there, play stuff and tell us what they like what they don’t like.”

Squadron 42 isn’t best thought of as one component of a larger game. In fact it’s not even one game: Roberts reckons there’ll be at least three triple-A titles released over the course of the next few years.

“It got to the stage where we wanted to do it in one game and we just looked at it and it was just getting insane,” he says. “It was hundreds and hundreds of hours.”

The Roberts brothers have the plotline for each episode already fleshed out, along a backbone of interstellar politics reminiscent of 2003’s Freelancer. The script for the first installment alone, next year’s story of a rookie earning his wings, is 700 pages long. Large enough that Roberts expects players will need to fly through the campaign two or three times to receive everything loud and clear.

Squadron 42

“I guess we kind of expect people to just play it and then play it again to see what they missed out,” he muses. “You plan the original campaign for $6 million and you’re not going to make the $6 million game when you've got $92 million.”

After Privateer and Starlancer, Erin spent the best part of a decade directing and producing Lego games - before Chris called him back to the world of very-high-end PCs. For him Squadron 42 isn’t so much a blue sky project as a punt into the outer atmosphere.

“I love the space genre, I love doing this kind of stuff,” he says. “I’ve got one big big thing left in me. I’m getting on a little bit and this really is for me almost like the pinnacle of a challenge. Yeah, there’s a lot of stress. There’s a lot of work. There’s a lot of people who feel like it’s impossible to do.

“So we're just going to work away on it and keep getting stuff out and showing people. It’s a really exciting time. Right now there are little smiles in the faces of the people in the offices because we know we're doing well.”

Se ya'll in the verse :wave:

quote:

“It’s almost like our beta,” Roberts explains. “With the Large World stuff we basically have the ability for people to go in there, play stuff and tell us what they like what they don’t like.”

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
You'd think transparent explosion gifs would be lying around all over the place.

Nope.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

I'm ready for my close-up
Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Lord Psychodin posted:

DO you have any idea the speed you were going?
I need to see your registration and licence now sir.

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Bootcha posted:

You'd think transparent explosion gifs would be lying around all over the place.

Nope.

http://photobucket.com/images/explosion%20gif

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Going as this for halloween, I just need three fatsuits. I already have the oldman.jpg mask and the plaid girth harness

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Lord Psychodin posted:

you little pussy... If they go and look and then do a charge back lowtax can easily show they had the content they paid for (unlike star citizen)

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

Bootcha posted:

Nope.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Lord Psychodin posted:

I'm = "just kinda worried";
if anyone buys that poo poo {
if Lowtax got a bunch of chargebacks from it {
what(he'd do);
this = "this kinda poo poo.";
}
}

wont compile :smith:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Bootcha posted:

Nope.
I hope you're making the video I suggested with that Full Burn song.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

and then in the ensuing legal back-and-forth, someone will have to explain they paid $20 to post on the internet

why is this a problem

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Maldoror posted:

List of top 20 reddit.com/r/starcitizen/ poster's names, phone numbers, and e-mail addresses:

Don't be disheartened, Redditors - join now and get 5 free referral codes!

to0terfish
Apr 4, 2015

Pork Pro

quote:

If you're worried about funding you can always buy more ships! ;)

quote:

Why? Do you have some terminal disease or something that will prevent you from playing the game if it is not released within a year?

quote:

There are about 100 other threads about this since 2013 please reread.

quote:

What scares me OP is your extensive misunderstanding of everything, including, SC, other game companies, and game development in general.

quote:

Oh look...another person with no idea about how development works

quote:

2018 would make me happier. 2017 is a good year for rhe beta.

quote:

Do some research on some big AAA titles

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

so everyone is going to constantly re upload those funny jpgs so that the mentally ill people will have to take shifts reporting them around the clock, right?

right

joats
Aug 18, 2007
stupid bewbie

Bootcha posted:

Nope.

Lord Psychodin
Jun 16, 2007
Lord of the fools

:dukedog:
College Slice
Fine. I'm a jackass. Continue to enjoy everything.

Lord_NeckBeard
Oct 26, 2015
The reason the turnover is such a big deal is how many people with director and producer in their title. I'm not in gaming, but it was my understanding that those people stay on the project until development ends. Who cares about code monkeys and artists, when the people who are supposed to be planning and managing the project leave in the middle, that's a big deal.

This, plus the Croberts coke filled rant, are damning to the point that you should start believing everything that's come out in the press.

The Marauder
Dec 1, 2013

Why walk out when you can outrun?

Lord Psychodin posted:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Thermal imaging footage from a spy plane of Ben getting on his bathroom scales

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Lord Psychodin posted:

aight

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Hey Reddit, delete this:

No seriously. I'm embarrassed that I made it.

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Lord Psychodin posted:

Hug still stands.
Whenever you are ready. I won't push. :gay:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
whats the update on the lawsuit

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Friendly Tumour posted:

GUILTY!

You may leave the room, objection! - OVERRULED you may now address the bride

Incombibulator
Dec 9, 2014

Ms. Gardiner...

Grimey Drawer

Friendly Tumour posted:

The cutter has measured Derek, taking over 35 measurements accounting for his posture.

Next up: An individual paper pattern is created exclusively for him.

Fooma
Oct 15, 2010

nom nom nom

peter gabriel posted:

GUILTY!

You may leave the room, objection! - OVERRULED you may now address the bride

We can only hope that Dvorak or whatever his name is a Soverign Star Citizen.

Derek, have you created joinder with this guy? Make sure you file it in Admiralty Court. :sureboat:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
You need a premium account to see this message

lol gently caress this gay website i cant even see my own links without premium

mormonpartyboat fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 27, 2015

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
I would like for CIG to spend the remaining 90 million USD (or 4 bucks) on legal fees to fight a long, drawn-out legal battle with people from the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
All I see when I look at flatface is a ray

e:

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Oct 27, 2015

• Locked thread