Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Power of Pecota posted:

You guys won battle 1 because tithin and I murdered the poo poo out of Lumpen.

Heroes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hey busb, I made a comment in the sign up thread about the RNG thing that I'd like to retract. I tried to send you a PM about it, but your box was full. You decide your own schedule and you did what you needed to do in order to keep to that schedule.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FoxTerrier posted:

Why'd scumbros decide to kill me btw?

Noise level? Or did you see me visiting Asiina?

I figured you were the doc by a process of elimination

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

merk posted:

I called you playing a deep scum game and then ignored it at my own desire to lynch Ecco. :(

Which was really irritating because several people kept asking you to at least look at other people. Hell, I probably would have gotten on the Ecco lynch if you had just bothered to even give the appearance of looking at other people.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

TMMadman posted:

Which was really irritating because several people kept asking you to at least look at other people. Hell, I probably would have gotten on the Ecco lynch if you had just bothered to even give the appearance of looking at other people.

I couldn't get past Ecco discrediting votes early d1 with all those personal attack words. Once I made the post that had them all together it looked like a slam dunk.

Not sure what to take away from that mistake besides maybe being more open.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie

TMMadman posted:

Hey busb, I made a comment in the sign up thread about the RNG thing that I'd like to retract. I tried to send you a PM about it, but your box was full. You decide your own schedule and you did what you needed to do in order to keep to that schedule.

That's aight. I had to make some tough calls as a mod this game, and many i regret. RNGing the battle is not one of them. Any other player action would have been forfeited, or his vote wouldn't have counted or whatever.

Amusingly though, the RNG selected less scum for the battle than PMom did, so it actually picked a better party!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Rarity posted:

I figured you were the doc by a process of elimination

i thought you were scum after you flipped to me day 2 after i mentioned you were a perfect scum candidate, but forgot after all the hubbub.

merk, ecco, you guys need to chill.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Verr posted:

i thought you were scum after you flipped to me day 2 after i mentioned you were a perfect scum candidate, but forgot after all the hubbub.

Verr, this was your first game right? You were fun to play with

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

merk posted:

I couldn't get past Ecco discrediting votes early d1 with all those personal attack words. Once I made the post that had them all together it looked like a slam dunk.

Not sure what to take away from that mistake besides maybe being more open.

I think sometimes you just need to realize that someone can still call votes dumb/silly/stupid/idiot without actually being terribly personal about it. I mean she wasn't exactly right here either, but we all would have been better served if both of you hadn't been so focused on you.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
Night actions etc (aka spot the errors!):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wWlRg6ZjPzZ6g8e2UL9raKUkvmTR4SroHWf48wNdyqw/edit?usp=sharing

Role PMs:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pmgxsef0M9FoEYwMkRk68nl0J9eeVlb8YoIWv7vJjMk/edit

Thanks to Highwire for developing the mechanics and flavour characters, Mills for a couple of role ideas and for actually getting me focused enough to get the game up, and Chili for offering help then realising he just wanted to write flavour not comod!

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Hahahahaha, I really did have the best combat score and never got used in battle. Awesome!

I made my breadcrumb so obvious, I can't believe only Asiina seemed to catch it.

I was literally trying to tell Keane exactly who I was with it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I spotted it instantly :smuggo:

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

I spotted it instantly :smuggo:

Hey, you lied, you wouldn't have doubled my combat score, only made it go up by three!

##vote Asiina

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
A couple of other things about the game :

Offerings - had a whole list of ~10 boons and favours but seeing as most didn't get used i'll probably save them in case i run another similar game in the future. I think the mechanic was too removed from the regular player though and probably seemed like a useless stat.

Combat system - i like how it worked on my side and was much simpler, but it still seemed to confuse people as to who was a legal target or not. probably should be simplified even further, maybe do away with ranks completely.

Lurking: was noticeably bad, but my delay probably caused a lot of it. Alternately maybe the soldiers format just doesn't suit the newer crop of players? But some new players like Verr and Kashuno really got into it i think so not sure.

TMM: you did have the highest base, but there were a lot of underdog wounding roles too so you weren't invincible by any means!

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Oh right, I forgot cause I never paid attention tothat part of my role.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

As a spectator, my favorite "exchange" was this

TMMadman posted:

Hey merk, do you think I'm town or scum and why?

merk posted:

I don't know.

TMMadman posted:

This is irritating.

CCKeane posted:

TMMadman are you saying that you think merk is scum?

TMMadman posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure.

:allears: Fun read, y'all, well played all around.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
with me lurking it was the thread being massive before i got here and a paranoia of posting badly when i did open my mouth (also i was busy all this weekend and monday night)

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

busb posted:

TMM: you did have the highest base, but there were a lot of underdog wounding roles too so you weren't invincible by any means!

Yeah, but I'm just going to assume they would have had to hit my heel! :v:

I was amused that Keane put me in a fight on the day I said I was feeling ill. Not to mention he couldn't choose the arena, so there was a 3/5 chance that even if PMom had picked instead of the RNG, I wouldn't have gone into battle.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Verr posted:

That post that made me switch was scummy as hell from you, it had nothing to do with OMGUS cause that's not a tactic I use as scum

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
i did try to kinda bread crumb rarity with my one useful post tho and everyone went oh yeah kinda scummy then went back to tunnelling on other people, which says a lot about how well rarity was playing (well).

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Man, I really thought merk was scum while reading this thread just from how much he kept talking up his buffs. We did some major sabotage on our team, so I thought he was making the most of it and taking credit for wins he wasn't responsible for.

When you guys were looking at TMM, at one point we were thinking if one of us was on the chopping block, we could go out with a shoutout to you guys explaining the poison gruel thing.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Tommunist posted:

with me lurking it was the thread being massive before i got here and a paranoia of posting badly when i did open my mouth (also i was busy all this weekend and monday night)

Your avatar is adorable, so I forgive you for lurking. And killed me. :argh:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Rarity posted:

That post that made me switch was scummy as hell from you, it had nothing to do with OMGUS cause that's not a tactic I use as scum

haha fair enough. i'll take bad logic that works. :v

busb posted:

A couple of other things about the game :

Offerings - had a whole list of ~10 boons and favours but seeing as most didn't get used i'll probably save them in case i run another similar game in the future. I think the mechanic was too removed from the regular player though and probably seemed like a useless stat.
Lurking: was noticeably bad, but my delay probably caused a lot of it. Alternately maybe the soldiers format just doesn't suit the newer crop of players? But some new players like Verr and Kashuno really got into it i think so not sure.

i really liked it! i was totes gonna burn both boons.

FoxTerrier posted:

Verr, this was your first game right? You were fun to play with

thanks! i think it was fun to argue for the battle-approach against everyone calling me bad. to be fair, i was pretty bad. big shout out to KB for actually playing with the info i got.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I do think this game is a big lesson to some of our most vocal players that sometimes getting too involved is harmful to town. The merk/ecco/diqnol stuff cost you 2 days

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

fwiw I really thought TMM was scum trying to set up merk after the ecco flip until someone in the scumdoc (BIf I think?) pointed out he got hit with the poison gruel. Did not see Rarity as scum at all, that was the most surprising for me.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

yeah especially when it seems to be mostly cross-game drama.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

TMMadman posted:

Hahahahaha, I really did have the best combat score and never got used in battle. Awesome!

I made my breadcrumb so obvious, I can't believe only Asiina seemed to catch it.

I was literally trying to tell Keane exactly who I was with it.

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, but I'm just going to assume they would have had to hit my heel! :v:

I was amused that Keane put me in a fight on the day I said I was feeling ill. Not to mention he couldn't choose the arena, so there was a 3/5 chance that even if PMom had picked instead of the RNG, I wouldn't have gone into battle.

Yes, I caught your breadcrumb, I backed off a bit d2. A lot of times I was saying "GEE THIS PERSON IS SCUMMY" to try to get heat off of them in night actions (especially when I did this with merk, since I also figured that might tempt some scum into being more aggressive against him in thread)

I figured PMom would be more aggressive and push toward us. Tactical risk and all that.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Good game all, it was a pleasure playing with you all.

Venom Soag
Oct 1, 2015

Tactical Sexpionage Tourism

CCKeane posted:

Yes, I caught your breadcrumb, I backed off a bit d2. A lot of times I was saying "GEE THIS PERSON IS SCUMMY" to try to get heat off of them in night actions (especially when I did this with merk, since I also figured that might tempt some scum into being more aggressive against him in thread)

I figured PMom would be more aggressive and push toward us. Tactical risk and all that.

Pmom abandoned his soldiets

was fun cckeane we should do this again

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Venom Soag posted:

Pmom abandoned his soldiets

was fun cckeane we should do this again

You're a fine leader, Mr. Soag. It was a pleasure.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

If I hadn't been so tunneled on Ecco, I think I might have gotten Rarity d2.

I was noticing the same things you were about rarity (and said as such) but I wasn't about to swing a vote against my biggest defender on the chance she was scum.

Seriously merk day 1 was really, really obnoxious. What were you trying to prove there??

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

that's very silly, merk. it's one thing to dismiss someone as a person by insulting their intelligence or character, it's another thing entirely to say their argument is bad and listing the reasons why. you were focusing so much on me calling an argument "silly" that you were totally sidestepping actually addressing the flaws in your case, and it felt fake as poo poo.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

I was glad to finally play a game where Merk didn't call me scum.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Asiina posted:

I forgot Rarity and Beet were in the game.

I know, I even got stuck into you about being a poo poo cop. Sorry about that btw

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
keane you let me die you voted for me. why did you vote for me? that was bad of you.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

King Burgundy posted:

This is another game where scum team mostly lurked tho, which is a sad state of affairs. Rarity at least came out strong eventually. Thank you Rarity.

Yeah that was poor form by me. Real life poo poo got in the way sorry scum buddies.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact

EccoRaven posted:

that's very silly, merk. it's one thing to dismiss someone as a person by insulting their intelligence or character, it's another thing entirely to say their argument is bad and listing the reasons why. you were focusing so much on me calling an argument "silly" that you were totally sidestepping actually addressing the flaws in your case, and it felt fake as poo poo.

I admit that I was wrong and will improve next game. If you can't takeaway removing those type of posts from your play, that's on you.

merk
May 20, 2003

##interact
BOWMORE STOP LURKING

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

merk posted:

I admit that I was wrong and will improve next game. If you can't takeaway removing those type of posts from your play, that's on you.
posts like this?

EccoRaven posted:

merk's point likewise is really unreasonable, but not inherently scummy. asking a content generation question that's explicitly contextualized as "this was very useful on day 4 of a past game" kinda implies I'm not expecting it to be a smooth launching point for Solid Day One Casing, especially in the first hours of the day when only a handful have even checked in. Despite that I still noticed something off about KB's answer and pursued him for it. To say it "went nowhere" and I "didn't try to get it to go anywhere but nowhere" is both unreasonable (since it wasn't supposed to go anywhere this quickly) but also nonsense because I did do those things.

I'd say you have the sensitivity of a child but even a kid doesn't mind someone saying they're being silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

EccoRaven posted:

keane you let me die you voted for me. why did you vote for me? that was bad of you.

Sorry, ecco, if you didn't go the game wouldn't move forward.

You're always fun to play with and I'm sorry for that.

• Locked thread