Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Falcom is a Japanese video game company. Founded in 1981, Falcom was one of the pioneers of the Japanese rpg industry and one of the few still around and kicking. Falcom is unique among Japanese developers for releasing their games on the PC well into the 2000s before eventually dropping the platform. Between this and XSeed’s recent localization efforts, Falcom has an unusually plentiful library on Steam. They’re also unique for having their own in house sound team - Falcom Sound Team JDK - who make some top notch music.

Flagship titles:

Ys:

Music: Release of the Far West Ocean (Ys VI)
The Boy’s Got Wings (Ys: Oath in Felghana)
Tower of the Shadow of Death (Ys I & II: Chronicles)

Gameplay: Ys: Oath in Felghana - Chester Boss Fight
Ys Seven - Ze-Kalios Boss Fight

Fast-paced hack and slash RPG action. That’s about what Ys is. Although there’s some reoccurring mythology that ties the game together, all you really need to know is that a red haired adventurer named Adol saves the world a lot. Sometimes his buddy Dogi tags along to crush some walls. Later games have introduced a party system where AI party members fight alongside Adol and the playable character can be switched.

Where to start: Ys: Oath in Felghana (PC, PSP) or Ys: Origins (PC). Origins is somewhat more beginner friendly.

Other games: (Bolded titles are definitive versions)

Ys: Origins (PC)
Ys I&II Chronicles (PC, PSP)
Ys: Oath in Felghana (PC, PSP)
Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
Ys: V (SNES - avoid)
Ys: Ark of Napishtim (PC, PSP, PS2)
Ys Seven (PSP)
Ys 8 (Not out yet, little information is known)

Legend of Heroes:

Music: Sophisticated Fight Zanmai (Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC)
Inevitable Struggle (Legend of Heroes: Trails to Zero)
Blue Destination (Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II)

Gameplay: Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - Gameplay Trailer

Whenever someone talks about Legend of Heroes they’re usually talking about the Trails/Kiseki subseries, which are marked by having Trails in their name. Trails is almost the complete opposite of Ys, featuring turn-based combat systems with a heavy emphasis on story and worldbuilding. The series is particularly notable for setting every title within the same world, much like Suikoden did, although the series sticks with the same main plot and characters for two game arcs as opposed to changing every game. XSeed has released the first two games of the first arc (Trails in the Sky FC/SC) on PSP and PC with the third on the way, and are currently releasing the third Arc (Trails of Cold Steel I/II) for PS3/Vita. In doing so, they’ve skipped the second arc (Trails to Zero and Trails to Azure). They might bring them over in the future depending on sales.

Where to Start: Trails in the Sky FC on Steam, because that’s the beginning.

The Games:

Liberl: Trails in the Sky FC/SC/3rd (PC, PSP)
Crossbell: Trails to Zero/Trails to Azure (PSP, Vita, Japan only)
Erebonia: Trails of Cold Steel I/II (PS3, Vita)

Translation stuff:

In light of the lack of an official localization to date, a group has started a translation patch for Zero no Kiseki. One of the members of the group has subtitled a portion of a video walkthrough of the game, which can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yhmVcOxWK0

Other Titles:

Ys vs Kiseki: Alternative Saga (PSP): A crossover fighting game between Falcom’s two flagships, running on the Ys VII engine. Japan only.

Nayuta no Kiseki (PSP): An action RPG with a focus on story. Not a part of the Kiseki series in any meaningful way despite the name, that’s a marketing ploy. Has a really low quality translation patch.

Legend of Heroes: 3-5 (PSP): The only Legend of Heroes games prior to the Trails series released in NA. Classic turn-based JRPG gameplay. The translation by Namco was notably poor.

Brandish (PSP): A 3d old-school dungeon crawler. Prepare to fall in holes

Xanadu Next (PC, N-Gage): A dark medieval action RPG. First released in NA for the N-Gage, XSeed is bringing over the PC version sometime in the future.

Tokyo Xanadu (Vita): A recent revival of the Xanadu series, TX is currently Japan only but was released very recently so it still could get localized.

And here is a big post about Falcom's older games courtesy of my friend Space Drake

SpaceDrake posted:

Dragon Slayer 4/Legacy of the Wizard: NES (c. 1989) - Where it began, for America. Giant gently caress-You Maze, The Game. You control four different heroes through a large platforming dungeon broken up into many screens, and each family member can reach different areas due to their different abilities. Noted for being one of Broderbund's only import titles and for the girl and the monsterdog being way OP.

Ys 1: Sega Master System, DOS (c.1989) - Not much to say, it's Ys 1 by itself. Didn't make much of a splash. The DOS version is interesting as it was produced exclusively for the overseas market and was, by appearances, published by a company Falcom was trying to establish as an overseas subsidiary (Kyodai Software Marketing), but Ys 1 was a total flop on the PC due to being a few years late in an era where that meant a lot.

Faxanadu: NES (c.1989) - More side-scrolling ARPG action, and the second Falcom game to come over by dint of being native to the NES and Nintendo themselves being interested in it.

Sorcerian: DOS (c. 1990) - Side-scrolling dungeon action with a party of your own creation. A good LP can be found here. Notable for being the only foray into game importation by Sierra Entertainment (yes, that Sierra) with a generally pretty good translation for the era as a result.

Tombs & Treasure/Asteka 2: NES (c. 1991) - Bit of an oddball adventure game. Came up quite often in Nintendo Power back in the day due to being a little oblique.

Ys 1&2 OG: TG16CD (c. 1991) - The first Ys release everyone remembers. It's bump-and-grind Ys, not much more to say. It does have a real all-star English cast for its day, which leads to the voicework generally being okay.

Ys 3 Wanderers: TG16CD, Genesis, SNES (c. 1991) - The first Falcom game to get a Truly Big Push at the dawn of the 16-bit era. What a loving choice that was - this game is a Not Very Good Platformer with rather janky physics and simple bosses. And since they redlined the VO budget on the previous game, the voicework in this game is hilariously bottom-barrel. LP available here.

Legend of Heroes 1: TG16CD (c. 1992) - MANKIND HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE POISON. The first Legend of Heroes game, which is pretty much a Dragon Quest clone with lots of talking. A long way from here to Trails, for sure. The English version is famous for its legendarily overdone voicework - they were trying to make something cool, but the end result is amazing in a whole different way.

Brandish: SNES (c.1995) - The very first Brandish dungeon crawler. Infamous for being loving terrible, because the implementation of its unique camera system in this version was garbage and made the game a confusing mess.

Popful Mail: SegaCD (c. 1995) - Rescued from becoming Sister Sonic by Working Designs. A fun little platformer ARPG. Being a WD joint, the translation work is pretty solid for the era, and the voices are about what you could expect. Makes pretty good use of the Sega CD to be handsome, too.

e: the best kiseki protagnist is NOT dryzen. he's the worst

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Mar 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I think trails in the sky should be in the name of the thread because people might want to talk about that game when it comes out and won't necessarily know this is a thread to do that in

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

lets hang out posted:

I think trails in the sky should be in the name of the thread because people might want to talk about that game when it comes out and won't necessarily know this is a thread to do that in

fair point, i will pm a mod to have ys and trails added to the title

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I like TITS

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I like the games where I hit dudes with the red sword man, the rpgs with orange staff gal are okay too though

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can hit dudes with a red sword man in TitS, too!

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I just started Trails in the Sky today and so far it seems pretty awesome. The steam reviews are incredibly positive so I'm excited to see where it goes. The sequel coming soon will be a nice addition.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
These are good games and this will hopefully be a good thread.

So how about that Orange Staff Gal Game coming up in a few days, eh

Still kind of nervous that people won't like the script after working on it for years and then waiting for the game itself to come out

Still extra hype, though!

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

You can hit dudes with a red sword man in TitS, too!

Yeah, I remember seeing videos of him screaming all the time and blowing up entire end-end-endgame encounters by using up all of his hp or something.

SpaceDrake posted:

These are good games and this will hopefully be a good thread.

So how about that Orange Staff Gal Game coming up in a few days, eh

Still kind of nervous that people won't like the script after working on it for years and then waiting for the game itself to come out

Still extra hype, though!

I'm looking forward to it, I'm a fan of yall's previous work :)

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I'm buying SC on Steam GOG and PSN, it'll eat into my other gaming plans, but it's a good problem to have. I'll also probably get both versions of Cold Steel.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zaggitz posted:

I'm buying SC on Steam GOG and PSN, it'll eat into my other gaming plans, but it's a good problem to have. I'll also probably get both versions of Cold Steel.

Interesting note with this - Cold Steel will support cross-play. So you can move your saves between the Vita and PS3 versions at will, if you wish. It's a lot of outlay for two copies of the game, but it is pretty rad if you travel a lot and want to play on the go but also play on a big screen.

This isn't the case with Sky SC - Sara tried her god damnedest to make it work, but the save structure between the PSP and PC versions is just too different.

edit: Also if we're posting Falcom music, in a small way I feel like this is obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-azjB3lsUTU

The Crossbell campaign has a lot of the best music in Trails. If nothing else, I am bummed that the Anglosphere hasn't gotten to experience that in person just yet.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Oct 27, 2015

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I like the game with the silent dude and that blonde lady who keeps falling into pits.

I'm still working through the first Trails in the Sky so I won't be playing SC for a bit. Still glad it's coming out so soon, so I can stare at it in my steam wishlist.

edit: also, bring back Popful Mail

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

SpaceDrake posted:

This isn't the case with Sky SC - Sara tried her god damnedest to make it work, but the save structure between the PSP and PC versions is just too different.

That is a nice piece of trivia I did not know.

Either way, it is good that you have made a new thread, CakeAttack.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah here is the 100% steam save for FC

http://www.filedropper.com/svdat024

e: save folder is Program Files (x86) > Steam > Userdata > 123895031 > 251150 > remote > fc

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 27, 2015

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I can't believe I'm the only one who remembered these gems

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cake Attack posted:

e: save folder is Program Files (x86) > Steam > Userdata > 123895031 > 251150 > remote > fc

thanks!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

toddy. posted:

What are those games like, by the way? Have they had a fan-translation at all yet?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

toddy. posted:

I thought they looked interesting, but they're not in english and I haven't heard anything about them ever coming out here :(

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Cake Attack posted:

I've put this in the right folder twice and each time, if I open the game, the file disappears.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Slur posted:

What are those games like, by the way? Have they had a fan-translation at all yet?

Zwei Zwei had a fan-translation effort that was very far along but has stalled out ~mysteriously~. No word on when it will be complete.

Disclaimer: I legitimately know nothing about this or if there are any plans to export the game

but

Zwei!! might also have a fantrans effort, I don't remember offhand. It's also very much an older game - it's one of the last fully-2D games Falcom made, circa 2001, before they switched to the sprites-and-3D model of Ark-Engine-Ys and the early Trails games. Problem is, being from 2001 and locked at 640x480, it can be a bit of a pill to get to work on modern machines.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

SpaceDrake posted:

Interesting note with this - Cold Steel will support cross-play. So you can move your saves between the Vita and PS3 versions at will, if you wish. It's a lot of outlay for two copies of the game, but it is pretty rad if you travel a lot and want to play on the go but also play on a big screen.

edit: Also if we're posting Falcom music, in a small way I feel like this is obligatory:

The Crossbell campaign has a lot of the best music in Trails. If nothing else, I am bummed that the Anglosphere hasn't gotten to experience that in person just yet.

how big is the quality jump from the vita to the ps3 for these btw? Would I be secure in just playing the vita versions? I don't really wanna go through the hassle of unboxing my old ps3 unless its a marked improvement.

edit: Gurumin is missing from the OP, also.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
The Zwei series gameplay is a top down action RPG with a focus on exploration and puzzle solving, while retaining challenging bosses akin to Ys and really funny writing akin to the Trails games' humour bits. Both games have a really nice aesthetic to them and a calming, atmospheric but upbeat soundtrack. Nayuta no Kiseki is basically the third game in the series if that helps people put two and two together on that.

The three games are all amazing and Zwei 2 might be my favorite Falcom game. Shame I'll never see a proper translation of the series. :smith:

Speaking of which I've been meaning to hack around with Zwei's resource files.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Some Numbers posted:

I've put this in the right folder twice and each time, if I open the game, the file disappears.

is there some kind of steam cloud thing overwriting it

Saralene
Feb 17, 2011

Developer, Gamer, and
apparently, Vtuber

The question of life is not,
"Are you a catgirl?"
but rather, it is in fact,
"Are you a catgirl yet?"

Some Numbers posted:

Put it in the folder pointed to by the "Save Folder" button in the Configuration Tool instead. Dropping files into the Cloud save folder usually doesn't work, but the "classic" save folder is used as a fallback when the slots aren't taken up by Cloud saves already.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Saralene posted:

Put it in the folder pointed to by the "Save Folder" button in the Configuration Tool instead. Dropping files into the Cloud save folder usually doesn't work, but the "classic" save folder is used as a fallback when the slots aren't taken up by Cloud saves already.

Thanks a lot!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Overbite posted:

This.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Zaggitz posted:

how big is the quality jump from the vita to the ps3 for these btw? Would I be secure in just playing the vita versions? I don't really wanna go through the hassle of unboxing my old ps3 unless its a marked improvement.

The quality jump isn't as dramatic as, say, the PSP to Steam-PC versions, but it's still there. Somewhat sharper textures, a higher framerate (not that it matters for a Trails game), ability to hear That Music over large speakers, and a higher rendering resolution if you try to play it on a PSTV rather than a handheld Vita unit.

If getting your PS3 set back up would be a tremendous hassle, though, the Vita version is hardly a massive drop in quality.

Overbite posted:

would emptyquote if I could

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I went ahead and picked up PSP Brandish, hopefully I will enjoy it

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hivac posted:

I went ahead and picked up PSP Brandish, hopefully I will enjoy it

Hopefully you enjoy it - while the camera is much better in PSP Brandish, the concept isn't quite for everyone and that camera can still feel weird.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
someone told me that trails in the sky is as good as persona 4 in the steam thread, was I lied to? I don't like being lied to!

note that I don't have much exposure to JRPGs outside final fantasy and persona and I don't like anime really

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cat doter posted:

someone told me that trails in the sky is as good as persona 4 in the steam thread, was I lied to? I don't like being lied to!

note that I don't have much exposure to JRPGs outside final fantasy and persona and I don't like anime really

Persona 4 is extremely anime, though I wouldn't know how to directly compare it to TitS other than that both initially revolve around a personal mystery (investigating serial killings/finding your dad and traveling the country).

Motto fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 27, 2015

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

SpaceDrake posted:

My opinion, but I think we can do better than that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vY6FZ2FLb2o

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Motto posted:

Persona 4 is extremely anime though I wouldn't know how to directly compare it to TitS other than that both initially revolve around a personal mystery.

well the context was me being all "what are some JRPGs that are as good as persona 4?" and someone answered thusly

I like anime but anime that you can play, like persona 4, you know like a video game, playable anime

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

cat doter posted:

i'd say it's better, but other people might disagree, which is a borderline meaningless statement but it's how i feel

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Cake Attack posted:

i'd say it's better, but other people might disagree, which is a borderline meaningless statement but it's how i feel

sometimes it's ok to feel things that are wrong, we all do it

I mean I'll reserve judgment until after I try the game but I'm playing nier at the moment which is also hella anime, but persona 4 is preeeeeeeeeeetty gooooooood maaaaaaaaaan

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

It's a very good game that is well worth checking out, I think it is at least as good as Persona 4.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

I enjoy the combat/plot/characters way more than P4, but that is just my opinion

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

cat doter posted:

sometimes it's ok to feel things that are wrong, we all do it

I mean I'll reserve judgment until after I try the game but I'm playing nier at the moment which is also hella anime, but persona 4 is preeeeeeeeeeetty gooooooood maaaaaaaaaan

Trails 1 nails that small comfy rural town feel that persona 4 does pretty well, tho most of the mysteries outside of the main one are much lower stake. It's also rife with some really good world and character building and sets up some really cool plotlines for the sequel.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So, this is kind of a weird thing, but I am trying to play Trials FC for the first time since I updated to Win 10. Everything seems to work ok, but the logo movie is off color and repeats (meaning there is two instances playing on the left and right sides) on my monitor. Out of curiosity I tried to progress to the opening movie proper and it just plain crashed. I already have save files, and everything else seems to work as far as I can tell, but there is no other movies in the game, is there?

I think I will try redownloading the game to see if that helps...

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the only other movie is the teaser for the sequel at the very end, as well as the credits