Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."

Crimson Harvest posted:

I have a crayon and pencil drawing of a huge dragon standing on top of a castle and breathing fire all over. It is awesome.

scan it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Genned a new world today, and noticed two rather odd trends:

The first is that the only surviving dwarf civilization, the Razor of Winters, had a long and bloody history of its nobles constantly being kidnapped and subsumed by vile women/night hags/etc, starting with the first King.

The second is that, over time, the majority of nobles got replaced by non-dorfs. A few humans, but mostly goblins, owing to the bloody wars with the demon-led goblin civ.

Now, I like some multiculturalism in a civ, but this is getting ridiculous. The Night Creatures only seem to prey on dorfs, which makes me think the gobs have a conspiracy going, but that's another matter. How do I keep goblins from holding all political positions? Do I need to give them a maximum lifespan in the RAWs, or will that not solve the problem?

(Failing that, how can I kill a liason/diplomat without becoming an enemy of the state? I'm thinking a clever series of bridge airlocks.)

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
As far as I am aware you can slaughter dwarven caravans or personnel thereof with complete impunity diplomatically. Probably best to do it environmentally to avoid potential loyalty issues though.

If you want to kill more than the liaison you can do so in adventure mode I should think.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

scamtank posted:

You give one of their positions [RESPONSIBILITY:TRADE]. I made my elves maintain three acolytes (instead of 1) and gave them the trading task. There's always one that comes over every season to talk shop (= giant war animal imports)

How do i do this?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dongattack posted:

How do i do this?

Open entity_default.txt in the raws folder, go down to [entity:forest] then under that heading scroll down a bit more until you get to the elf government positions. Under those you can add that tag.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Moridin920 posted:

Open entity_default.txt in the raws folder, go down to [entity:forest] then under that heading scroll down a bit more until you get to the elf government positions. Under those you can add that tag.

Neat, thanks!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Crimson Harvest posted:

I have a crayon and pencil drawing of a huge dragon standing on top of a castle and breathing fire all over. It is awesome.

I second this.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

joke_explainer
Dec 28, 2011

The Queen of my civilization was a vampire, who eventually came to live at my fort. It said she was a vampire from the get go, and she behaved just like a vampire. After two deaths I walled her inside her enormous throne room. She never complained, since they have no real needs and just cancel their feeding if they can't path to it. Kind of macabre to have an imprisoned vampire chief of state deep inside my fortress, but I liked it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Does this have to happen before worldgen?

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I'd be amazed if it didn't.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
The Kobold civ is at peace with my dwarf civ in my latest world. Any way via dhack for me to get them to send a trader?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

I'm not sure, I think you'd have to modify the kobold entity in the raws.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Nobody answered last time I asked and I haven't played in ages.

Will Vampires feed off of other races, or just Dwarves?

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Gibbo posted:

Nobody answered last time I asked and I haven't played in ages.

Will Vampires feed off of other races, or just Dwarves?

I believe that they will only feed off members of your civilization which are unconcious. And since non-dwarf races in a player fortress are so rare the probability of them coming up as an option are near nil but certainly possible.

That being said, I don't know for certain if they'll feed off of elves and the like but any animal that goes unconcious from a syndrom have the option of being selected for blood letting according to the wiki.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Non-dwarf fort members are counted as a kind of pet/wildlife though so that might affect things.

logarithm
Oct 29, 2010

SoundSense's music selection gets repetitive after a while, so here's a custom sound pack I made with songs from Gemclod and Bronzestabbed. You can even use it alongside the normal sound pack without any issues, at least going by 30 minutes of testing. There are packs for both of those LPs, but the one for Gemclod probably doesn't work anymore and the one for Bronzestabbed seems to only have the 6 first songs of the LP.

Download link

There are 15 or so songs that play alongside the normal seasonal BGM, not really sorted by season at the moment except for one obvious song, and a bunch more that play in specific situations like someone getting bitten by a spider, or an invasion. A lot of songs are supposed to trigger on parties so that each party event plays one song from a list of more vocal-heavy tracks and then returns to the normal playlist for that season. The menu and worldgen also have songs set to them. I would list everything, but there's a lot of songs and I accidentally deleted the file I planned the song triggers on initially :v:

Stuff might be broken, I'll try to get around to fixing it maybe

Sirocco, Loden Taylor, Krysmphoenix and all the others are awesome and it was great listening to all these songs again while making this. :3: Song-specific credits are in the ID3v2 artist tags.
Oh, and the zip contains all the .mp3 files from the fanart posts of the LPs even though not all of them are used, so I guess you can consider this a mirror of those.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

joke_explainer posted:

The Queen of my civilization was a vampire, who eventually came to live at my fort. It said she was a vampire from the get go, and she behaved just like a vampire. After two deaths I walled her inside her enormous throne room. She never complained, since they have no real needs and just cancel their feeding if they can't path to it. Kind of macabre to have an imprisoned vampire chief of state deep inside my fortress, but I liked it.

Did you build windows so your dwarves could pay their respects? Like Lenin's Mausoleum, except with a mobile Lenin hissing and trying to drink the blood of any who stray too close?

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

Started playing again after a haitus and apparently now dwarves can slosh the contents out of buckets or something, because a bunch of it escaped down my main stairs and a half dozen dwarves are now minus feet :shepface:

also a couple pages back but

Salvor_Hardin posted:

So your response to a ton of industrial fatalities is to industrialize the tombstone making process? This is some OSHA violation inception or something.
How the poo poo is the thread title not Dwarf Fortress 2014: This is some OSHA violation inception or something? Mods?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Were those buckets full of lava or something?

Desideratus
Oct 5, 2008

Who are we? We find that we live on an insignificant planet of a humdrum star lost in a galaxy tucked away in some forgotten corner of a universe in which there are far more galaxies than people.

KillHour posted:

Were those buckets full of lava or something?
Err, minecarts my bad! You got me second-guessing myself and I had to load up the thing to look :v:

Sorry I'm retarded! But my minecart track winds up the side of my center stairwell and inexplicably leaked; I double-checked at the time and yeah, nothing was amiss until feet melted.

VVV Fukken replied before I fixed my poo poo! :argh:

Desideratus fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 28, 2015

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Desideratus posted:

Yeah, I was making a lava moat with only deep lava, and decided that it was easier to leverage my ~40 idlers and some buckets than to make a pump stack. I checked to make sure nobody cancelled their jobs or misplaced a bucket or something, and nothing was out of order until feet started melting :iiam:

Try doing it again, and if you have DFHack installed, try probing the temperatures of the buckets? I don't know if the contents of buckets can heat the buckets themselves, but...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If they were minecarts with magma in them then they were probably metal and if dwarves were physically pushing them I think it's possible for the cart to get hot and burn their hands and cause some sloshing/tipping.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

"Devlog posted:

I finished handling the last personality needs in dwarf mode -- dwarves can swipe and own and wear trinkets again somewhat like they did before, for instance, with the avaricious and extravagant dwarves doing it more than others. The quarrelsome ones can argue during chats, which'll satisfy both parties need to argue if they have it, or make them a little grumpy if they don't, though it's infrequent enough that it shouldn't be a new cause of fort collapse. Various other needs (seeing animals, learning, practicing martial arts, etc.).

I also made dwarves somewhat more resistant to the effects of alcohol -- creature castes can now be given an extra dilution factor vs. syndromes with a given identifier.

Dwarven bling confirmed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Everything is set up to have goblins see a dwarf covered in goblin bone trinkets and then have them run away in terror.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Elth posted:

Dwarven bling confirmed.

:allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Naked except for 7 cloaks dungeonmaster returns.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Dwarf Fortress 2016: Somewhat more resistant to the effects of alcohol

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Naked except for 7 cloaks dungeonmaster returns.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Robes aren't capes!

Artists ruining my realism factor in a simulation. My Immersion!

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

M_Gargantua posted:

Robes aren't capes!

Artists ruining my realism factor in a simulation. My Immersion!

technically, dungeon masters wore nothing but cloaks so the image is accurate, but the text overlay isn't.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Toady One posted:

infrequent enough that it shouldn't be a new cause of fort collapse

Looking forward to unintended consequences on the needs system. A party of metalsmiths move to the desert, but won't work because they desperately want to see the ocean. The ghosts of infertile dwarves can't be put to rest until they have descendants. Resident vampire hoarding leather pants. The mayor uses diplomatic meetings with the elves to satisfy her need to argue.

Actually, those last ones are pretty great.
:drac::yosbutt:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Devlog posted:

I also made dwarves somewhat more resistant to the effects of alcohol

I will not stand for this.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so, when's the actual update

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

so, when's the actual update

oktrOBERRRR RPEORPERTORT posted:

Up for October we have more of the usual bug squashing and last-minute feature tweaks. 75% of the list was squashed last month, so we might be able to polish it off this time, though it normally takes a bit longer to get through the last part and issues arise. We're going for it, anyway.

I'd like to imagine we have something before christmas, but lol as if

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

Met posted:

I will not stand for this.

Just making sure you're aware that Toady added actual drunkeness to the game that will cause alcohol to significantly debilitate anyone who drinks it. This update makes it so that dwarves can drink and still function somewhat, unlike all other species.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

scamtank posted:

I'd like to imagine we have something before christmas, but lol as if

i'm excited for the DF2017 update

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Wow I always kind of assumed that dwarves were already innately quite resistant to alcohol. I mean... they basically go years without drinking water and yet regularly undertake major construction projects and field standing armies... :stare:

It all makes sense now. Spilling magma down staircases, falling into deadly carp-ponds; the entire civilization is completely inebriated whereas I had assumed a pleasant, mild buzz. This is like when Toady revealed that dwarves had accidentally been made cat-sized for years and years of development.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Dwarves already have bigger livers than anyone else in the raws!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Malcolm posted:

Wow I always kind of assumed that dwarves were already innately quite resistant to alcohol. I mean... they basically go years without drinking water and yet regularly undertake major construction projects and field standing armies... :stare:

I don't think alcohol had any effect on anyone before the upcoming version.

E. Except the happiness

Kennel fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 29, 2015