Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
royce got his rear end beat by hideo tokoro who is like 30lbs lighter than him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Triticum Guzzler posted:

royce got his rear end beat by hideo tokoro who is like 30lbs lighter than him

So then a heavier opponent is no match for bushido spirit!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Muttonchips posted:

My bad- I didn't mean to go off on a hypothetical tangent. I was just trying to gauge the difference between women and men in combat sports. Seems very unlikely we'll see a male on female match in the UFC so it's basically pointless to speculate.

It's just that with all the talk of Ronda vs Mayweather fight, I wanted an informed opinion of the odds of a female fighter defeating a male fighter. I heard a lot of people talking about how Ronda would completely destroy Mayweather in a MMA fight, but after reading this thread, it's clear those people have no idea what they're talking about.

Asking about men vs women in combat sports isn't really a relevant question any more than asking what would happen if Demetrious Johnson fought Chris Weidman. They compete in separate divisions for a reason. What's more important is to just judge any fighter in respect to his or her own division. Any other absurd battle of the sexes type proposition is just a sexist red herring which trivializes the womens divisions as some kind of novelty act.

So who cares if Floyd fought Ronda? It's literally never going to happen, and it only gets brought up by people trying to build hype (for Ronda). Her entertainment value is in watching her faceplant Brazilian book keepers.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Though I agree it is a dumb conversation Ronda is the person who most often brings up her fighting Floyd.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

Though I agree it is a dumb conversation Ronda is the person who most often brings up her fighting Floyd.

Trying to build hype for Ronda.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i like making fun of a convicted domestic abuser. it's unfortunate that a by-product of that is me getting more attention and money.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

What about Holly Holm vs Mike Tyson, who would win in a basketball match?

Holm is probably taller and doesn't have asthma, it would be a wipeout

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

CommonShore posted:

Asking about men vs women in combat sports isn't really a relevant question any more than asking what would happen if Demetrious Johnson fought Chris Weidman. They compete in separate divisions for a reason.
Here's an interesting fact. There used to be a time in UFC when there was no weight class. Demetrious Johnson facing off against Chris Weidman could have been a real possibility. Personally I would have love to see them bring back tournaments without weight classes. Post-diverticulitis Brock Lesnar versus Louis Gaudinot would make for an interesting match-up, imo. They didn't add in weight classes until UFC 12.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
did you know that there are reasons for those weight classes existing?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Muttonchips posted:

Here's an interesting fact. There used to be a time in UFC when there was no weight class. Demetrious Johnson facing off against Chris Weidman could have been a real possibility. Personally I would have love to see them bring back tournaments without weight classes. Post-diverticulitis Brock Lesnar versus Louis Gaudinot would make for an interesting match-up, imo. They didn't add in weight classes until UFC 12.

You have seen the old pre-12 UFC stuff right?

Bad Mr Frosty
Apr 25, 2012

Muttonchips posted:

are you sure its not because you are a 400 lb goon wanting to fight in the ufc ????

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Muttonchips posted:

Take a break and check out Absolute divisions in grappling competitions.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

are you sure its not because you are a 400 lb goon wanting to fight in the ufc ????

Tim Sylvia being a goon would be fairly unsurprising

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Muttonchips posted:

Those first few UFC tournaments consisted of tricking kickboxers and brawlers into a jiu jitsu tournament while the Graicies changed the rules on the fly to suit their needs.

Here's an interesting fact. You're hanging out in a thread that's full of people who have seen literally every UFC event and you're turning into a smarmy know-it-all when they're giving you polite and realistic answers to your dumb questions.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Muttonchips posted:

Thanks to everyone who answered my question (especially if you did it without being mean or snarky about it)

mod sass :smith:

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I watched the Jorge Santiago vs Kazuo Misaki 2 fight mentioned in the OP and loved the commentators:

quote:

"I thought I smelled some sexiness in the house!"

"He's going for the guillotine" "SHUT UP!"

"Telegraphed all the way from Florida!"

"And it's over!" "No..." "And the round is over!"

The OP hasn't been updated since 2011 - anyone have recommendations for some more recent (and easier to find) fights to watch?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gadamer posted:

I watched the Jorge Santiago vs Kazuo Misaki 2 fight mentioned in the OP and loved the commentators:

The OP hasn't been updated since 2011 - anyone have recommendations for some more recent (and easier to find) fights to watch?

Lawler-MacDonald

Gathje-Palomino 1 and to a lesser extent 2

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Gadamer posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3694838

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Here's an interesting fact. There used to be a time in UFC when you could punch a man in the dick.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Here's an interesting fact. If no one sees you, you can probably just stab your opponent before the match, giving you a REAL tactical edge.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Here's an interesting fact. If no one sees you, you can probably just stab your opponent before the match, giving you a REAL tactical edge.

Ah, the Diego Brandao tactic.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Tatum Girlparts posted:

You have seen the old pre-12 UFC stuff right?
Sure have! I actually have an annual Fight Pass membership, and have watched most of the fights on there (I tend to fast forward through the boring matches though and there are a LOT of those early on). Funny enough, pre-Zuffa UFC marketed themselves by claiming to have no rules which was a complete lie- they DID have rules in place, like no eye gouging. I can understand why they had to change the rules, but having rules and weight classes does take away from the unpredictability and excitement of the sport IMHO.

Bad Mr Frosty posted:

I have considered taking a few distance learning courses being offered by the Gracie Academy to get the basics, but I have no aspirations of partaking in combat sports. My weight should not and will not be an issue here nor will it be discussed any further. Any future reference to my weight will simply be ignored. You have been warned.

Gadamer posted:

To help us give you some better suggestions, which criteria are you looking for? A back and forth slug fest? A grappling showcase? Announcers getting excited? If you're looking for announcers getting excited, I suggest you look up the video clip of Joe Rogan narrating a mishap by one of the corners in which they accidentally split open a bag of ice.

Also, origami as I've said before I have Fight Pass membership and I have seen the match where Joe Son gets punched repeatedly in the balls over and over again.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Muttonchips posted:

Sure have! I actually have an annual Fight Pass membership, and have watched most of the fights on there (I tend to fast forward through the boring matches though and there are a LOT of those early on). Funny enough, pre-Zuffa UFC marketed themselves by claiming to have no rules which was a complete lie- they DID have rules in place, like no eye gouging. I can understand why they had to change the rules, but having rules and weight classes does take away from the unpredictability and excitement of the sport IMHO.

I have considered taking a few distance learning courses being offered by the Gracie Academy to get the basics, but I have no aspirations of partaking in combat sports. My weight should not and will not be an issue here nor will it be discussed any further. Any future reference to my weight will simply be ignored. You have been warned.

To help us give you some better suggestions, which criteria are you looking for? A back and forth slug fest? A grappling showcase? Announcers getting excited? If you're looking for announcers getting excited, I suggest you look up the video clip of Joe Rogan narrating a mishap by one of the corners in which they accidentally split open a bag of ice.

Also, origami as I've said before I have Fight Pass membership and I have seen the match where Joe Son gets punched repeatedly in the balls over and over again.

reported for trolling

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I'm still fairly new to the sport, but I have been training bjj for a little over a year now (:eng99:). A grappling showcase would be one I can approach with at least some knowledge, even if they aren't the most exciting.

Muttonchips
Jun 5, 2014

by Shine

Gadamer posted:

I'm still fairly new to the sport, but I have been training bjj for a little over a year now (:eng99:). A grappling showcase would be one I can approach with at least some knowledge, even if they aren't the most exciting.
If you're open to watching promotions outside of UFC, you should definitely watch some of the Sakuraba vs Gracie matches. They may be boring to a casual fan but if you like grappling, I think you'll like them a lot.

You can find some cool finishes like the Korean Zombie's twister or anything involving Rousey but as far as matches here are some good ones off the top of my head.

Hatsu Hioki vs Charles Oliveira (UFC Fight Night 43)
Iuri Alcāntara vs Wilson Reis (UFC Fight Night 36)
Kyung Ho Kang vs Michinori Tanaka (UFC Fight Night 52) <---- don't miss this one

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Gadamer posted:

jake shields vs demian maia, tim kennedy vs roger gracie, ken shamrock vs royce gracie, papy abedi vs besam yousef, ryan jimmo vs igor pokrajak, jake shields vs tyron woodley, jake shields vs dan henderson. these fights will be spectacular to someone with a deep appreciation of the grappling game

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Gadamer posted:

Watch a highlight reel of Rousimar Palhares (including his ADCC run) and then watch Palhares v Alan Belcher

I'm going to watch it again right now!

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I recall some excellent grappling, both offensively and defensively, in Bisping vs. Stann.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

origami posted:

Watch a highlight reel of Rousimar Palhares (including his ADCC run) and then watch Palhares v Alan Belcher

Johnny Cash looks like he knows what's about to happen.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

So I'm not dead - Mr. Nice - Mobster can point us towards each other on facebook.

It's going to take me weeks to catch up on the thread highlights and fight world good things. loving boy I got time. Recommendations?

PS if a supposedly lapriscopic abdomen surgery ends with 150+ staples and nearly three days med-coma'd....you are a grand goon.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

origami posted:

this is a really good suggestion

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

manyak posted:

this is a really good suggestion

Poor Kim Jon-E Cash

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Palhares/Belcher was incredibly satisfying and I wish Belcher would come back

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

Gadamer posted:

It's probably getting dated by now, but Jason MacDonald vs Maia at UFC 87 was my gold standard for a long time.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

It's probably getting dated by now, but Jason MacDonald vs Maia at UFC 87 was my gold standard for a long time.

I did a writeup of this fight for my favorite journeymen thread, and it remains one if my favorite fights. Jason is awesome and I'm glad he retired before he became old and broken.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

tkz / poirier is one of the best fights i've ever seen and a lot of that was grappling.

also for extremely competitive, though not necessarily world class grappling delos reyes vs. sangcha-an is one of the best fights of the year and extremely entertaining

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
For serious though demian Maia is one of the most successful bjj guys of all time and one of the most successful at applying bjj in mma and his fight against shields is incredible. The rest of the fights I suggested are examples of grappling completely shutting one guy down and nothing happening (Kennedy/Gracie adds a fun twist to that)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Log posted:

So I'm not dead - Mr. Nice - Mobster can point us towards each other on facebook.

It's going to take me weeks to catch up on the thread highlights and fight world good things. loving boy I got time. Recommendations?

PS if a supposedly lapriscopic abdomen surgery ends with 150+ staples and nearly three days med-coma'd....you are a grand goon.

Can do

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Or go watch round 1 of BJ Penn vs John Fitch. Then turn the fight off sometime in round 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

The recent Maia/Magny fight was also really good if one-sided. Magny just wore this confused look the whole time while getting styled on.