Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Unlucky7 posted:

So, this is kind of a weird thing, but I am trying to play Trials FC for the first time since I updated to Win 10. Everything seems to work ok, but the logo movie is off color and repeats (meaning there is two instances playing on the left and right sides) on my monitor. Out of curiosity I tried to progress to the opening movie proper and it just plain crashed. I already have save files, and everything else seems to work as far as I can tell, but there is no other movies in the game, is there?

I think I will try redownloading the game to see if that helps...

Go into the Configuration Tool and check "Windowed Mode" and then fiddle with the resolution until it's big enough for you. That should fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

Go into the Configuration Tool and check "Windowed Mode" and then fiddle with the resolution until it's big enough for you. That should fix it.

That fixed it right up. Thanks!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I got TITS on steam a while ago. I played for about 3 hours. Does it get less boring

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Relin posted:

I got TITS on steam a while ago. I played for about 3 hours. Does it get less boring

What is it that bores you about that game?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
I don't feel engaged by the story or characters. I don't have a problem with mindless JRPG combat

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The story does take a while to start revving up. If you don't like the characters, you probably won't like the rest of the game.

Have you finished the Prologue?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The story takes a while to really get going. Trails is somewhat infamous for being a bit of a slow-burn at first, but it gets much better the farther along you get in the game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Oh I can probably buy and play the first game now that the second one is coming out. Patience pays off :)

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

aw ys

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Man does Agate ever stop being such a wet blanket? He's easily my least favorite character of FC, and that tagline for SC of "go with Agate or Schera" doesn't even come close to making that choice difficult.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I love TitS.

Thank you for providing me with TitS to play with.

Seriously though, need to play through FC again. drat me for playing it on PSP years ago.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Zaggitz posted:

Man does Agate ever stop being such a wet blanket? He's easily my least favorite character of FC, and that tagline for SC of "go with Agate or Schera" doesn't even come close to making that choice difficult.

Eh, he's a tad overbearing when you first meet him, but Estelle and Joshua slowly earn his respect throughout Chapter 2 and 3 and the final scene of Chapter 3 had the three of them part on fairly respectful terms. Agate was kind of hard to deal with on my first playthrough, but I warmed up to him significantly throughout subsequent playthroughs. I'm actually kind of curious about Estelle's and Agate's partnership. FC gave me a fairly good indication of what Estelle and Schera are like when they're alone, but the same isn't true for Estelle and Agate. Agate's fairly cordial to his fellow senior bracers throughout FC, so I don't really worry about him being a jerk all the time. And then there's the opportunity for scenes where Agate's forced to put up with Olivier's antics. Anticipation rising rapidly. :)

Oh, and his improved Wild Rage craft is just insane.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

agate is my boyfriend

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

he is the best for how people play off him. hes acts tough but then all that he gets is estelle calling him cute for it, the professor talking about how he looks like a chicken and accidentally insulting the queen as the very first thing he does when he meets her. estelle is right about him.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Has anyone mentioned price with SC? Trying to work out if I can squeeze in another game I won't play this month.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Has anyone mentioned price with SC? Trying to work out if I can squeeze in another game I won't play this month.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Cake Attack posted:

he is the best for how people play off him. hes acts tough but then all that he gets is estelle calling him cute for it, the professor talking about how he looks like a chicken and accidentally insulting the queen as the very first thing he does when he meets her. estelle is right about him.

Bryce Papenbrook's yells only emphasize how silly Agate is, and I love 'em.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thanks.

Probably £25 here, I think DS2 Record Breaker is gonna have to wait.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
One of the most telling things about Agate is one of his lines when you first run into him on your way to Ravennue. When Schera says she thought he was in Grancel and asks him if he's in the region to look into the missing airliner, he replies that he's merely here for some "chump errants". If you pay close attention (and have played the game before), you're able to find out just what those "chump errants" were and it pretty much tells you all there is to know about Agate. (it's also pretty d'awwww-worthy)

People are either scared shitless of Agate (the Ravens and the special ops) or they make fun of him. There is very little in-between. :)

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Erpy posted:

One of the most telling things about Agate is one of his lines when you first run into him on your way to Ravennue. When Schera says she thought he was in Grancel and asks him if he's in the region to look into the missing airliner, he replies that he's merely here for some "chump errants". If you pay close attention (and have played the game before), you're able to find out just what those "chump errants" were and it pretty much tells you all there is to know about Agate. (it's also pretty d'awwww-worthy)

People are either scared shitless of Agate (the Ravens and the special ops) or they make fun of him. There is very little in-between. :)

Isn't he going to become that much more powerful in SC with the cast-from-hitpoints mechanic he's going to get? If so, that will be awesome. I really liked his character, but he was really underwhelming late-game stat-wise.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, his Wild Rage crafts now take 70% of his HP away and in return give you 100 and later 150CP, meaning that in theory, you can launch an S-craft at enemies at any time his turn comes up, as long as there's a healer to patch him up afterwards.

In FC, it wasn't really so much that his stats were underwhelming (highest atk, second highest def, second highest hp), but the fact that final-dungeon enemies (with the exception of the weakest two droids) all had really high defense that was difficult to overcome with physicals as opposed to arts being OP. Falcom apparantly tweaked the balance a bit in SC so physical attackers are less handicapped this time around.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Yeah. It seems everyone had to be Artes-built in order to truly survive down in the final dungeon in the first place. I brought along Kloe, Olivier and Joshua for the endgame portion, and the team worked out for me rather well because the former two were so heavily artes-reliant.

Kloe is a godlike healer as well.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Agate is pretty workable in the last dungeon. He's tanky, has enough atk to do decent damage even with the high defense enemies and even the weaker wild rage makes it easy to get an S craft which is a pretty big AOE in his case

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Can't believe nobody's brought up Xanadu, the first good* Dragon Slayer:

(Pictured: Revival Xanadu on PC-9801)

*(YMMV)

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
As an aside, it's super cool to me how much more popular Falcom/Ys/TitS games have gotten over the years at least on SA. I remember discovering a random Ys thread around the time the translation patch for Felghana came out and loving it but then being sort of depressed how quickly the threads for the franchise would die. Turns out having an actual publisher I guess so these games can actually come out in English with some regularity helps.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I just want to use all the characters I couldn't in FC. They seemed way more fun when you saw them in action.

Except Oliver, he gets to stay.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Zaggitz posted:

Both Agate and Schera get a ton more development in this game. Either one is a good choice.

But yes, Agate specifically gets a ton of development in SC. In fact he gets drat near all his development in SC.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Thanks.

Probably £25 here, I think DS2 Record Breaker is gonna have to wait.

Given FC is $20/£13, the same conversion puts SC at £19.50, so about £20 for SC seems more likely (plus Akiba's Trip was published by XSEED on Steam and is $30/£20).

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
XSEED generally tries to be good about currency conversions, yeah. At most they'll round a little to good, even numbers.

I'm not entirely sure what the Euro price will look like, but I suspect they'll try to keep it fair.

Noyemi K posted:

Can't believe nobody's brought up Xanadu, the first good* Dragon Slayer:

(Pictured: Revival Xanadu on PC-9801)

Xanadu is a Really Important Videogame, both for Falcom as a company and just historically (it was the first PC game to break 500k sales in Japan, IIRC, in 1985) but sadly it's just gotten no English versions and thus no play at all in the Anglosphere. I do wish someone would do a biopic or something of Falcom's history in the 80s, that poo poo is amazing and has a couple of gaming history's most important inflection points - I still wonder what the gently caress would've happened if Origin Systems published Xanadu in the States in 1985/6 like they'd planned to before that meeting went so sour.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 27, 2015

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

cat doter posted:

someone told me that trails in the sky is as good as persona 4 in the steam thread, was I lied to? I don't like being lied to!

note that I don't have much exposure to JRPGs outside final fantasy and persona and I don't like anime really

Persona 4 has a much more robust character customization system. The love of Trails in the Sky is pretty much based on the charm of its characters and settings, I'm guessing, since orbments weren't exactly the deepest system in the world, especially given how only a few of them were actually any good. Despite the layout, combat isn't particularly tactical and holy poo poo did this game need a fast forward button on those animations. Persona 4 wins for its auto combat speed, if nothing else.

Both are pretty anime, but in different ways.

Edit: Also did not know Legacy of the Wizard was a Falcom game. That game could definitely use a modernized version, since it owned back in the day.

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Oct 27, 2015

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

SpaceDrake posted:

XSEED generally tries to be good about currency conversions, yeah. At most they'll round a little to good, even numbers.

I'm not entirely sure what the Euro price will look like, but I suspect they'll try to keep it fair.

Xanadu is a Really Important Videogame, both for Falcom as a company and just historically (it was the first PC game to break 500k sales in Japan, IIRC, in 1985) but sadly it's just gotten no English versions and thus no play at all in the Anglosphere. I do wish someone would do a biopic or something of Falcom's history in the 80s, that poo poo is amazing and has a couple of gaming history's most important inflection points - I still wonder what the gently caress would've happened if Origin Systems published Xanadu in the States in 1985/6 like they'd planned to before that meeting went so sour.

Can you elaborate a little on how Xanadu influenced the industry? I crave knowledge.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GrandpaPants posted:

Persona 4 has a much more robust character customization system. The love of Trails in the Sky is pretty much based on the charm of its characters and settings, I'm guessing, since orbments weren't exactly the deepest system in the world, especially given how only a few of them were actually any good.

It's already deeper than the (highly popular) Final Fantasy VII's materia system. Being, yknow, the same system but deeper.

And it gets deeper every game.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 27, 2015

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Not sure if I'd call it deeper. The Materia system's ability to link materia and make combinations like countering damage with an attached ability or absorbing HP/MP with certain attacks allowed for a vast number of (usually gamebreaking) tweaks. Trails' process of putting together arts by racking up elemental points is only deep on some of the characters. With the more physically oriented characters, you're merely determining what stats to boost.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

SpaceDrake posted:

It wouldn't have done much. It would have been on computers and modern game discussion mostly hates acknowledging people played games on computers. ( Unless you are a European anyhow.) Jrpg console gamers and computer RPG players really don't meet well. You get the Jeremy Parish types on one side, and the RPG Codex on the other.

The fact that both groups probably need to reenact selected scenes from Italian cannibal genre movies escapes them both. :smith:

Good games are good games who fuckin cares what platform they are on or what nation made them?

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

Captain Rufus posted:

Good games are good games who fuckin cares what platform they are on or what nation made them?

No truer words have been spoken in the Games forum.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Captain Rufus posted:

I care. When nations that use other languages make them, and no one is willing to translate them.

As such, god bless XSEED.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Captain Rufus posted:

It wouldn't have done much. It would have been on computers and modern game discussion mostly hates acknowledging people played games on computers. ( Unless you are a European anyhow.) Jrpg console gamers and computer RPG players really don't meet well. You get the Jeremy Parish types on one side, and the RPG Codex on the other.

I genuinely have no idea what you're talking about.

e: Like, I've seen some people have dumb pissing matches over genres, but people who involve themselves in those are a minority. The only reason there's any divide between "people who play JRPGs" and "people who play on PCs" is because a lot of JRPGs get PC releases years late, if at all.

Motto fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 27, 2015

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Supremezero posted:

I care. When nations that use other languages make them, and no one is willing to translate them.

As such, god bless XSEED.

Yeah but that's just the nature of language. I'd loving love the SRTs and modern Falcom remakes to get western ports but it's not exactly likely. poo poo, companies like EA and Activision released anthologies with generally the weakest versions of some of their classics as opposed to the best versions!

Colecovision HERO? Nope. Enjoy the 2600 version and gently caress you if you want better releases.

Atari 8 bit Pitfall 2 with the second quest? Nope. 2600 or gently caress off.

When stuff like fan translations of the MSX Thexder 2 come out it's more a revelation than how it should be. We just now got PS2 Phantasy Star 2 translated because Sega is too busy making GBS threads out bad Sonic games and they hate us westerners who actually bought most of their goddamned consoles. (Also see the usual Japanese excuse of DURR LOST SOURCE CODE as to why they can't do anything with Panzer Dragoon Saga. I'm not sure what PSO 2's excuse is other than gently caress YOU ROUNDEYES GO BUY A BAD GEARBOX GAME. Especially with emulation there really isn't much excuse for stuff to not get some form of rerelease outside of like IP license stuff. Even if I would cut a motherfucker for all the Alien arcade games.)

poo poo, why the hell hasn't Vic Ireland tried to do some sort of Working Designs back catalog deal?

Why doesn't Atari acknowledge the brand was more than just arcade games and the 2600?

Even EA, the developer murderer is at least letting GOG gently caress around with their back catalog a bit!

Vvvvv I answered that one dude. Even if they aren't lying and I think they usually are, why not just take a copy of the game, stick it with an emulator wrapper, and go? If people can do this for free why can't companies give an intern a week or so to do it and then make some scratch? Provided they don't Elite Systems/Retron 5 it when it comes to using outside emulation options of course.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Oct 27, 2015

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

uh, losing source code isn't an excuse, it genuinely happens a lot of the time, even with games as recent as the 2000s. Square-Enix had to recreate the first Kingdom Hearts for the HD collection, for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Slur posted:

Can you elaborate a little on how Xanadu influenced the industry? I crave knowledge.

It's a little hard to nail down the precise influence of the game on everything else - the hothouse of the 80s makes it hard to determine who influenced what, and of course few people will admit "yeah we just totally got inspired by that one thing and riffed on it" - but at the very least, there's long been a strong suspicion that the Zelda games were heavily influenced by Dragon Slayer in general, and Xanadu's side-scrolling dungeon navigation may have had a particular influence on Zelda 2 (although the combat is way different). Xanadu was just sort of generally influential, though, in proving that a game on the Japanese PCs of the time was a viable commercial endeavor - prior to Xanadu, there wasn't a ton of dedicated game development for those early PCs, but in the wake of Xanadu selling so well, a lot of the young game houses of the 80s, like Enix, Compile, HAL Laboratory, and whatnot, began to make serious efforts to produce software for PCs of various kinds in addition to efforts for the ever-selling Famicom. The PC-88 and -98 remained kind of their own unique beasts game-wise due to their hardware architecture, but the MSX saw a lot of cross-pollination with the FC/NES.

Unfortunately, NEC's poor management of their PC line in the 90s, the difficulties Microsoft had breaking in to the market as anything other than a pure business platform, and the advent of the Playstation in 1994 all pretty much doomed the momentum Falcom had kicked off in the 80s - but for a little while there, Xanadu helped to inspire a healthy PC game market in Japan, by dint of being a good dungeon-exploring RPG and selling well.

Meanwhile, while I think replying to this may end badly:

Captain Rufus posted:

poo poo, why the hell hasn't Vic Ireland tried to do some sort of Working Designs back catalog deal?

You realize a lot of those games are in rights limbo, right

Like a lot of those games are, at best, owned by entities that have no reason to want to work with Ireland currently

Hell, I'm surprised the Lunar games are up on the Japanese PSN at all, given how contentious things got between Studio Alex and GameArts, but I guess Gungho-GameArts can afford the heavy legal guns these days if it comes down to it

(Fun bit of thread-relevant trivia I learned only recently: the founder of Studio Alex, the main developer of the Lunar games, was a Falcom veteran and the man behind the programming of Sorcerian.)

quote:

Why doesn't Atari acknowledge the brand was more than just arcade games and the 2600?

Because the entity currently wearing the Atari name isn't actually Atari

quote:

I answered that one dude. Even if they aren't lying and I think they usually are

Um

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Oct 27, 2015