Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Darkrenown posted:

I'm going to make Space-Rome in the next MP game :)

Can I join Stellaris MP so I can just destroy everything for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Groogy posted:

No, just no. The Roman Empire had its moment, just let it die and rest in peace.

but groogy, if there is no greco-roman culture then how will i write my masters thesis pdox forums post on who was the real inheritor of rome, why the answer must be byzantium and why this is relevant in space?

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Didn't you get the notice, Groogy? Your office is being relocated to the Rome themed room in Paradox's brand new office. :shobon:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Groogy posted:

No, just no. The Roman Empire had its moment, just let it die and rest in peace.

Rome will live on under the Space Papacy.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Fintilgin posted:

Didn't you get the notice, Groogy? Your office is being relocated to the Rome themed room in Paradox's brand new office. :shobon:

Man, I saw pictures of that new place and I am jealous.

1, because it's in Sweden so who knows when I'll ever end up there and 2, you guys don't invite people over. :argh: Why make the office look so cool and then hide it from people?!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

October 27th, 2015 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the helleniophilic disposition of a few internet forum posters, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Fintilgin told me the theme of my new Office tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Today I sent Fredrik a nice email because he complained in his GiantBomb interview that he didn't get any these days. He sent back a reply. Today was a good day :3:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

As long as you don't start sending them Pizza* I think things will be fine.

*A well known slippery slope that lead to dickpics

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Alchenar posted:

Today I sent Fredrik a nice email because he complained in his GiantBomb interview that he didn't get any these days. He sent back a reply. Today was a good day :3:

now send him an email telling him to move groogy into the the roman room. say it is as punishment for the puns groogy wrote into the hamburg national idea descriptions.

also, I'm gonna miss the Hansa in EUIV, but Hamburg's NI set easily makes up for that loss. if you made the actual ideas alongside the description, then you made a sweet NI set.

e; what is the johanneum and how does it relate to NIs? (nm, I googled it and saw gymnasium and it threw me waaay off so I disregarded it because that means something totally different in english than it does in german)

Another Person fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Oct 27, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Groogy posted:

October 27th, 2015 is a day I will always remember. It was the day I became cynical, bitter, and distraught. You may call it an overreaction for me to feel this way simply because of the helleniophilic disposition of a few internet forum posters, but let me explain what all of this means to me.

My life was thrown off balance and I never regained my footing after that day, because I lost my ability to respect. An essential part of being human is to feel respect for those who may or may not be deserving of it. But it is equally human to feel painful disillusionment when someone or something you respected turns out to be much less than you thought. But the level of betrayal I felt when Fintilgin told me the theme of my new Office tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away my ability to respect anything, and they tore away my ability to feel human.

lol

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Groogy posted:

Dude, it's not like they stuck you in the Diplomacy room.

Tuskin38
May 1, 2013

Have you seen these posts?
They're pretty popular on Reddit.
Paradox's new office. Looks nice.

http://imgur.com/a/sHEPd

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

what, no majestic hitler portrait on the back wall?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Why do you have a chain link fence in your office?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Tuskin38 posted:

Not pictured: lobby with Mt. Rushmore-style sculpture that has Hitler, the country of France, the capitalist icon from Vicky 2, and Charlemagne on it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Agean90 posted:

Pharnakes posted:

It's the concentration camp part of their WW2 themed wing.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's the concentration camp part of their WW2 themed wing.

That's where they keep the community managers.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I thought the portrait hangs in the basement?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pharnakes posted:

It's not finished yet, printed out screengrabs of posts made on the Plaza are going to be pinned behind it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

We only have winners in our office

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Now that would be a legit meeting room to inspire innovation and openness.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wait, wait...does this mean no more bookshelves wallpaper in streams?

Because if so tore away my ability to feel human etc.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Tuskin38 posted:

That looks like a fun place to work. Congrats to Paradox. :)

Hope no one finds a bug in the code printed on the wall.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Groogy posted:

We only have winners in our office
Yeah, a portrait of Hitler would really send the wrong message in that regard.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Oh cool a new Stelaris DD about leaders!
*20 pages of totally-not-racists upset the diversity of portraits for humans is too high for them to role play as space nazis but it's strictly hypothetical and it's important to note the posters them selves are NOT racist, they just prefer to play video games where they role play as 100% white male dominated empires*

*additional derail into Roman concepts of racial purity*

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
It's funny how people bring up space nazis to justify white only portraits but when in reality if we knew about other intelligent life forms capable of loving us up Nazis would switch from race to species in choice of targets.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

BillBear posted:

It's funny how people bring up space nazis to justify white only portraits but when in reality if we knew about other intelligent life forms capable of loving us up Nazis would switch from race to species in choice of targets.

No, you don't understand. In order to accurate roleplay a Space Nazi you must let me choose whites only as my character portraits. Umgo Umbongo can't be in my government because of my immersion. Don't call me racist.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Also this thread right now reminds me of this scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqvfRYETTsY

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Agean90 posted:

HR vetoed all the Hitler quotes I suggested for the walls :sigh:

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Darkrenown posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzE7lXM6mho

Finding a good clip of this is hard but you get my drift.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
A disturbing lack of bookshelf wallpaper. Preorder canceled, lost ability to feel human.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's Asian and Russian confirmed as human cultures. I assume the rest are American, Swedish, African, and I guess Greco-Roman?

I'm guessing/hoping Indian will be one. India has a pretty advanced space program and their economy's climbing pretty fast, and yet the Expanse series and Civilization: Beyond Earth are the only sci-fi I can think of that has anything more than maybe one token Indian person in space. Then again I don't generally care for sci-fi so maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

Darkrenown posted:

Just have a TV screen playing this at all times in the lobby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXxkFd3lHaM

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Oct 27, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

BillBear posted:

Would they? Internal pogroms as a response to an external threat isn't exactly unprecedented historically. After all, if we lose to the space slugs, it's obviously because the Jews sabotaged us from within. It can't be because they actually just fought better than we did.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just find it weird and gross and very paradoxforums that racial purge mechanics is something they really really want. I can get the argument for terrible nazi things to happen in a WWII game because that's history and it was a very important part of the time period. But in a space fantasy game?? In a game that will allow you to have slavery as a policy people are upset that the human names aren't white enough and why can't we have internal genocide and slavery?!?!

Like I guess sure there's some "realism" reasons you could include that, but I think it mostly speaks to the types of people the people demanding these features are. I'm sure they also love to play Germany in every video game and make scale models of german military vehicles and own "WWII memorabilia" that just happen to be mostly german and have book shelves full of WWII books, once again strangely focused on the germans. Maybe they do airsoft or historical dress up and have an SS uniform.

But they are NOT nazi's or nazi sympathizers they're just really interested in history you see. Anyways, click my sig to get a 20 paragraph feature request about how to "tastefully and historically" implement the holocaust to HOI4 and maybe why Hitler had good reasons to do it (good reasons from a historical perspective I'm not really a nazi remember!)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I cannot comprehend the desire to purge and turn on their fellow man when there are literal giant ants threatening to conquer our frontier worlds.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Similarly, it's quite unrealistic for a country to purge many of its best scientists during an economic downturn.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

BillBear posted:

I think you're really overestimating the Nazis, here. Genocide was an end in and of itself to them-- when their entire country was tumbling around their ears they still put resources into carrying on the Holocaust.

gently caress Nazis.

Paradox should really... like... do something about all of the weird nazis and racists and reactionaries who have taken roost in their official forums.

It seems like it's a problem in the fanbase for these games in general-- the last time I played CK2 every time I hit shift-tab to bring up the steam overlay one of the guides was "How to expel the Jews" with a loving swastika as the icon-- but maybe cleaning up the trash on the official forums that Paradox actually has control over would be a good place to start.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Three Moves Ahead have started a Patreon campaign to have a separate Paradox podcast every month.

https://www.patreon.com/3MA?ty=h

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm going to genocide everything in this game with an endoskeleton and you can't stop me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I do hope it's really easy to make empire graphics though. Simple 2d portraits and some txt files or what ever. Workshop will be full of cool race sets.

I know the game generates random races but I wonder if there's a way to tie certain empires to certain graphics, or weight them. So you could for example create a species graphics set for super religious humans and have the art all like space templars and poo poo, but then the game randomly selects that art set to be used in a randomly generated communist-technocracy human empire. Probably not though, other than telling the game what species-type it's for there won't be much to pre-set.