Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Paul MaudDib posted:

Sure it has - GCN 1.0 to 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.2 HBM.

Would giving each generation a funny name like NVIDIA your favorite Linux distro make you happier?

In all seriousness, it probably would have helped AMD get a few more points of market share.

Does anyone have a favourite guide to "NVIDIA and AMD architectures through the ages"? What was added when, how big an overhaul each was, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's been said for years that AMD is far behind Nvidia in the driver department. If they've been making it upbarely hanging in there all this time through sheer hardware power, therefore in using an API that places more of the burden on the developer's engine optimization than driver-side tweaking for performance...

This is completely wild extrapolation on my part, but I think we're starting to see the AMD's endgame to take away Nvidia's driver advantage, maybe.

Fury X with a 980 Ti beats twin Fury X same as it beats the NV pair.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

Fury X with a 980 Ti beats twin Fury X same as it beats the NV pair.

Fury X w/980 Ti also beats 980 Ti w/Fury X especially when you turn up the resolution.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Dead Goon posted:

Always important to consider your colour scheme when building a computer.

Josh Lyman posted:

This but unironically.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/avexir-s100-series-ssd-the-world-first-led-ssd

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

I would not be ooposed to having this in my own rig. But I could also go about making like a plexiglass case for a samsung drive, painting it, and putting my own LEDs in that.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Jesus christ. Tape some LED strips to your (good) SSD and call it a day.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I saw that ram once. Despite myself, I couldn't help but think it was cool. Made me feel pretty dirty though

well in that case!!!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I think that 4k is pretty good. I think Samsung does like 30-40 MBs on 4k.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

1gnoirents posted:

I saw that ram once. Despite myself, I couldn't help but think it was cool. Made me feel pretty dirty though

well in that case!!!

6Mbps internet is fast enough for everyone. Nobody needs anything faster.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
I wonder if DX12 will make being a dGPU maker more viable, since it allows mixing brands and theoretically allows a chipmaker to specialize more without necessarily losing market share if performance isn't first rate. The seemingly improved performance (barring drivers being the issue) would indicate that there won't be a need to buy one brand to the exclusion of the other in the future.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

FaustianQ posted:

I wonder if DX12 will make being a dGPU maker more viable, since it allows mixing brands and theoretically allows a chipmaker to specialize more without necessarily losing market share if performance isn't first rate. The seemingly improved performance (barring drivers being the issue) would indicate that there won't be a need to buy one brand to the exclusion of the other in the future.

The only problem is that you're going to have to go up against Nvidia. Who has major research fund allocations. I can't imagine how much money they spent researching Maxwell.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

FaustianQ posted:

What sort of specialty is there at all between "Ubiquitous and pretty OK-ish for low impact stuff or mobile" (Intel) and "Buy this if you actually want to play demanding games" (Nvidia x50+ type range)?

It's not exactly an attractive market.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The LED ram sticks they have are actually the cheapest DDR4 2x8 kit I could find.... so I paid an extra $10 for a set of plain black Crucial.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

The LED ram sticks they have are actually the cheapest DDR4 2x8 kit I could find.... so I paid an extra $10 for a set of plain black Crucial.

I thought the Plasma Tube RAM looked awesome.

Edit: gently caress, that poo poo is $400 for 32GB at 2133.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 27, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

SlayVus posted:

I think that 4k is pretty good. I think Samsung does like 30-40 MBs on 4k.

The write numbers are legit good. The random read is like 2/3rds the SP4's PCIe NVMe new hotness and the sequential is a third.

That's really not awful, and I don't think it's in territory where you should just buy a BX100 except on price.

FaustianQ posted:

On the other hand, rather than you optimizing for games, games have to optimize for you, have fun getting them to do that with no market share.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Oct 27, 2015

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

xthetenth posted:

The write numbers are legit good. The random read is like 2/3rds the SP4's PCIe NVMe new hotness and the sequential is a third.

That's really not awful, and I don't think it's in territory where you should just buy a BX100 except on price.

Going back on this, the 1TB 850 Pro does 33 MB/s 4k Read and 70 MB/s 4k writes. So while 4k reads are probably the same, you get a 50 MB/s in 4k writes.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hybrid kit came in for my 980 ti. Installed it and am looking at 32 C idle and 50 C under load when OCed to 1515 MHz. Very pleased with this thing so far!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

If you're going to shell out money you might as well get the version that comes with the Maximus/ROG boards: http://www.moddiy.com/products/ASUS...npRixoCdhrw_wcB

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If you're going to shell out money you might as well get the version that comes with the Maximus/ROG boards: http://www.moddiy.com/products/ASUS...npRixoCdhrw_wcB

Oh nice that one has all the holes on the bottom too, might be a bit more universal. (edit lol well I guess that doesnt help much if the wires are permanently attached, back to square one there)

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 27, 2015

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Space Racist posted:

Anyone remember slot processors? Nothing like opening a case and seeing a N64-esque cartridge plugged into the motherboard.

I wish those would make a comeback. Package them up with coolers like modern-day GPUs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

teagone posted:

I wish those would make a comeback. Package them up with coolers like modern-day GPUs.

gently caress no

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I could sort of see the benefit in terms of cooling, but you'd never have enough pins would you?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
Now I want to see that Ashes demo redone throwing an Iris Pro into the mix along with those other cards.

Come on tech sites, one of you guys just needs to go all-in and start posting results from every crazy card combo anyone can think of.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Germstore posted:

I could sort of see the benefit in terms of cooling, but you'd never have enough pins would you?

There is no cooling benefit, if anything cooling is worse as you have less room

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Krailor posted:

Now I want to see that Ashes demo redone throwing an Iris Pro into the mix along with those other cards.

Come on tech sites, one of you guys just needs to go all-in and start posting results from every crazy card combo anyone can think of.

That mode of mixed GPU isn't really supported yet in the demo, sadly. Neither is the same cards "total replacement for today's SLI" mode.

(I can't wait to see it either though)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Those slot-cpus look like a waste of material any way.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Gwaihir posted:

That mode of mixed GPU isn't really supported yet in the demo, sadly. Neither is the same cards "total replacement for today's SLI" mode.

Whatever happened to that virtu mvp stuff that was big news around the ivy bridge launch and then went nowhere

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I think the answer was either "It was garbage with vastly different cards" or more likely it just tried to serve a market that doesn't exist.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

Me too. It's going to be the most relevant thing to a lot of people. Get ready to OC that igpu lol. Also doesn't ram overclocking help with igpus a lot?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

1gnoirents posted:

Me too. It's going to be the most relevant thing to a lot of people. Get ready to OC that igpu lol. Also doesn't ram overclocking help with igpus a lot?

Generally, yes, but probably not at all in the DX12 mode where the game would do something like ship a finished frame to the iGPU for it to do post processing and effects on.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Gwaihir posted:

Generally, yes, but probably not at all in the DX12 mode where the game would do something like ship a finished frame to the iGPU for it to do post processing and effects on.

No? I would expect that to be very sensitive to RAM performance since it has to load the whole frame and then do a complete pass on it in a relatively cache-unfriendly way, then scan it out of RAM.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

No? I would expect that to be very sensitive to RAM performance since it has to load the whole frame and then do a complete pass on it in a relatively cache-unfriendly way, then scan it out of RAM.

Would that be helped by the size of the eDRAM on the Iris parts? That could be a cool selling point.

Rockybar
Sep 3, 2008

I've been driving my 1440p monitor with my 2gb 560ti for too long now, and it's time to upgrade, mainly for Fallout 4, Battlefield, and then older stuff that didn't run too great anyway. Probably going to get a 970. Is EVGA still manufacturer of choice (this one specifically)? It's either that or gigabyte. Buying on Amazon and I've found their returns to be pretty good even with broken PC stuff.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
At this point are there any benchmarks for R9 390/x against R9 290/x, assuming they're both custom coolers and overclocked as high as they'd expected to go? Are there any features for 390's that still require a BIOS flash to unlock on 290's or do they have parity now?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Subjunctive posted:

A single frame isn't very big at all though, compared to all the other stuff that usually gets shuffled around in vram.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

At this point are there any benchmarks for R9 390/x against R9 290/x, assuming they're both custom coolers and overclocked as high as they'd expected to go? Are there any features for 390's that still require a BIOS flash to unlock on 290's or do they have parity now?

Clock for clock they are identical. AMD branched the drivers at launch so the 300 series would appear to be better due to the locked driver improvements, but the branches have since been merged (and you could flash a 290 to a 390 and run the better driver anyway).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

BurritoJustice posted:

Clock for clock they are identical. AMD branched the drivers at launch so the 300 series would appear to be better due to the locked driver improvements, but the branches have since been merged (and you could flash a 290 to a 390 and run the better driver anyway).

That's what I thought, does the 300 series tend to bin any higher overall, like due to more experience making the chip, or is that probably negligible too?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Rockybar posted:

I've been driving my 1440p monitor with my 2gb 560ti for too long now, and it's time to upgrade, mainly for Fallout 4, Battlefield, and then older stuff that didn't run too great anyway. Probably going to get a 970. Is EVGA still manufacturer of choice (this one specifically)? It's either that or gigabyte. Buying on Amazon and I've found their returns to be pretty good even with broken PC stuff.

The MSI Gaming 4G and ASUS Strix are considered the best models, the EVGA ones are ok as long as you get one with a ACX 2.0+ cooler, the other ones have a lovely cooler that runs loud and hot. The Gigabyte ones vary in quality depending on the model, the compact one is to be avoided, the three fan ones cool well but are pretty loud. Your best bet is the MSI Gaming 4G, it's the same price as the EVGA one you linked but runs cooler and quieter.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Rockybar posted:

No that's the old model with the inferior cooler, I can't believe they are still being sold 10 months later.
If you buy an EVGA 970 make sure it's from January 2015, and not Sept 2014.

Here are good ones
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00S12M24G
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NOP536Y
Notice the difference in connectors (3xDP vs 2xDVI) if you're using a lot of monitors.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
I'm somewhat space constrained in my current build, is it a good idea to go for a mini sized 970, or should I opt for a less powerful 960?
I'm using a thinkserver ts 140, with a xeon e1225v3 where I've replaced the psu with a 500w from evga.

For the 970, I'm looking at this zotac card, the reviews are somewhat favorable:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500362&cm_re=gtx_970_zotac-_-14-500-362-_-Product

For the 960, I'm looking at this evga card:
2gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487093&cm_re=evga_gtx_960-_-14-487-093-_-Product
4gb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487154&cm_re=evga_gtx_960-_-14-487-093-_-Product

I guess some questions, I'm wondering is does the 4gb actually matter for the 960? And is the 970 worth the price premium?
I'd prefer it to be relatively quiet, but I figure it won't be as one of the larger sized cards.

I'm targeting 1080p in modern games.

weaaddar fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Oct 28, 2015