Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Braincloud posted:

I solo hiked Section J of the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington State southbound from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass and finally finished the write-up. It was 75 miles of pure awesome that I had planned on tackling in 5 days and ended up doing in 4. Full write up is here if anyone is interested: http://mycrookedpath.com/blog/pacific-crest-trail-section-j-stevens-pass-to-snoqualmie-pass-part-1/ It's two parts since there are a million pictures ...

Here are some pics:

Just lounging in camp

Chimney Rock (right) and Lemah Mtn. (left)

The PCT on the Chikamin Traverse under the 4 Brothers

Cloudy

The Kendall Katwalk into nothingness

This is awesome! I've hiked a bunch of times on the PCT up from Snoqualmie and I've been thinking about doing Section J, just might have to go for it next summer!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Was lucky enough to climb Clouds Rest in Yosemite this past week as part of a school trip (I'm a high school teacher). I've never done any real hiking in Yosemite this late in the year, so that was an interesting experience.

8am start at the trail head, hmmm - bit chilly.

Ice Ice Baby!

Pretty Alpine lake you pass on the trail. Sadly, during the pretty brutal switchbacks (1k feet gain over about a mile and a half), I slipped a little and landed on my knee.

Weather was pretty much perfect.

Some students climbing up behind me (blacked out the faces). Someone said the small lake in the very center of the picture is a couple of miles from the trail head for perspective.

The knee was really starting to swell so I didn't attempt getting to the very top (I had specific instructions from my fiance to not die while crossing the narrowest point of Clouds Rest), consequently you can't quite see Half Dome from this panorama.

It was a great experience and every teacher and student in our group made it to Clouds Rest. Pretty awesome seeing the reactions from a bunch of inner city high school kids and it was great having the trail essentially to ourselves. Was my first time really dealing with the shoulder season issue of "sweat from exertion, then sweat chills when you stop" and a few kids had trouble with their cotton base layers, but otherwise it was fine. I'll definitely be heading back to Yosemite in future late-Octobers, especially if we keep having dry falls.

Clouds Rest itself isn't an especially hard hike for anyone in decent shape. 14 mile round trip with only really one brutal climb. The 9k+ altitude will have your heart pounding in your ears though.

cheese fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Oct 27, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Fake edit: ^^^^ Nice. I kind of want to try to get in another weekend trip in Yosemite or something before it gets really cold, but I might be too late for that. Any idea about what the temps were supposed to be? Looks like the peaks have some snow which is good...

I meant to share some photos of my Emigrant Wilderness trip awhile back and then didn't get around to it...so here are some now. I should find something better than imgur to share stuff since they lower the photo quality, but oh well...

This was in September and we went in the Crabtree Trailhead. Originally I had plans to go to Sequoia/Kings but the Rough Fire closed the roads to the trailhead I had a permit for. So this was my backup choice.

Lots of your standards Sierra scenery; granite and low green bushes and pine trees. Not much in the way of high peaks in this area though.

My original plan was to hike to Deer Lake on the first day, about 11 miles, but we were pretty tired acclimating and honestly not doing enough hiking to get ready, so we stopped at Gem Lake. Supposedly this lake is often pretty busy (which is why I wanted to continue to Deer Lake) and there was a big campsite area with a bunch of spots, but we were the only people there that day so it was a great place to stop (this might be a morning picture, not sure)

Next day we basically just kept heading east with the plan to eat lunch around Emigrant Lake. Quick picture to get an idea of how dry it was. There was almost no running water at all and I'm not exaggerating. Only a few big streams and a few small seeps were running, and many very big streams and outlet were bone dry or just had standing pools that were slowly drying out. That's a big streambed that was just totally dry.

Had lunch at Emigrant Lake near some horses that had been left out to graze. They had bells on them so it was a constant serenade of cowbells in the background...

I was gonna try to get to Grizzly Meadows Lake for the second night but again feeling a bit tired and already adding on an extra mile and a half or so, we stopped at Emigrant Meadows Lake instead. The mountains and terrain kind of changed in that area...instead of big solid granite peaks and mountains, the mountains looked more like shale or smaller reddish volcanic rocks. Looked much more barren in a way. During the wet season I'm sure Emigrant Meadow Lake is very wet and surrounded by marshes and meadows, but again it was mostly just dry and as it turns out, a pain in the rear end to get water from because of muddy shores. We had to wade out into the mud to get to deep enough water to gather any. Morning pic of it, it wasn't quite this brown overall but again kind of drives home the state of the Sierra in the fall and in drought

Oh and I forgot to mention that weekend we went in was the first day of hunting season, so there was what looked like a big horse/hunting camp up near there as well. Heard a couple of rifle shots in the morning but I suspect they were target shooting or sighting them more than getting anything. Could be wrong.

Climbed up to Grizzly Meadows after that and did see a nice lake we could have stopped at the other night but oh well. Our next move was to drop down into the Hoover Wilderness using what can only loosely be described as a trail. Was really more bushwhacking than anything but it was wide open clear space funneling us down a drainage so it wasn't hard to figure out. Trail headed off to the distance and we then dropped off to the right to head down the drainage. You can see the barren mountains I was talking about. We're probably at 9500-ish feet or so here.

One of these days I'm just going to take a trip to bushwhack my way up to all these lakes I see on maps with no trails on them, it looks so interesting...anyways, dropping down into the Hoover Wilderness put us in a much more pine forest environment where it feels cool under the needles and the earth damp around the roots. We then headed to Cinko Lake which was really nice and a great place for lunch, so we dropped out packs and jumped in since we were hot and dusty. After a bit some other people showed up at the lake and we were like "oh whatever, not like we're naked or anything" and I went up to grab some extra clothes and lunch and ran right into one of the guys who showed up who's like "oh are you staying here? No, just having lunch? Great, we're going to camp here, HEY EVERYONE COME GRAB YOUR STUFF AND START SETTING UP" and they literally started setting up tents around our packs and the stuff we'd taken out for lunch while I'm dripping wet and bare chested (well ok I put on some more clothes before they started setting up). It was just weird...there were so few people out in general and these people just completely invaded our space at an awkward time and it really freaked out my wife since it puts you in a weirdly vulnerable position when half naked from swimming and people have congregated around your stuff and claimed that space as their own. So we just got our poo poo and left, it was unfortunately a kind of downer and stressful encounter for the day that pissed us off a lot in retrospect. And Cinko Lake was so nice...

At that point we hit the PCT for a little bit and did a bit of a loop involving it and another seldom used trail and ended up at a lake with no name on the map and even less likely to have any people at it. We had it to ourselves, rested, and saw a pine martin run through our camp which was kinda cool.

I like lakes and reflections.

We looped around back to the PCT past Chain of Lakes and Long Lakes and then headed southbound on it towards Yosemite. Had a nice little climb up to the PCT but once there it wasn't too bad up to Dorothy Lake Pass.

Climbin', climbin'. Hoover wilderness still in the background. As we got near the boundary of Yosemite we thought about stopping around Stella Lake, but I think the actual lake is awhile off the trail with a bunch of smaller lakes closer to the trail and rough terrain inbetween. We didn't find a good spot but met a couple of people doing invasive trout species removal in the lakes in an effort to help bring back the native frogs in the area. Kinda neat.

I think those peaks in the back are part of the boundary between the Hoover WIlderness and Yosemite.

Eventually we just headed down to Dorothy Lake in Yosemite and camped there. Again, seemed to have the place to ourselves (though it's a big rear end lake) and it turned out to be a real nice area

Next morning we bumped up over Bond Pass and back into the Emigrant Wilderness (and almost immediately ran into a few hunters), and then spent most of the day heading downhill through a drainage that had some of the only running water we saw. Our plan was to head up to Twin Lakes, which involved a bit of a rough trail that took us back up into Yosemite, but Upper Twin Lake where we stopped was great...our favorite place to camp even if a couple of other guys did come along and were surprised to see us. Had a nice chat though and they were more than happy to give us our space. Had a good time swimming and washing out our stuff

Our camp

At this point we were undecided whether to stay out two more days or three more days. Either way we were headed to Wood Lake, which involved some down and up and a lovely view of Loretta Lake along the way which I'd like to stay at in the future.

At Wood Lake we had trouble finding a good camp site...there seemed to be several big sites that were "closed" for restoration. Seemed like an issue with horse parties who make huge campsite areas and don't take care of them very well. Found a spot though and ultimately decided to head out the next day since we didn't have a great plan or good place to stay. Wood Lake on the way out

And one more look at the kind of terrain

We thought about staying at Grouse Lake for another night but we got there by noon that day and it wasn't a very inviting lake, so we were happy enough to head on out

Ultimately a good trip! Great interesting area and no quotas for permits which made it much easier than someplace like Yosemite. It lacks the high peaks of Yosemite and the southern Sierra as I said, but it has pretty much everything else. I'll have to explore some of the more northern parts, this was pretty much going east and west along the Yosemite border. Would love to head up there next spring when it's wetter.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies

Braincloud posted:

I solo hiked Section J of the Pacific Crest Trail in Washington State southbound from Stevens Pass to Snoqualmie Pass and finally finished the write-up. It was 75 miles of pure awesome that I had planned on tackling in 5 days and ended up doing in 4. Full write up is here if anyone is interested: http://mycrookedpath.com/blog/pacific-crest-trail-section-j-stevens-pass-to-snoqualmie-pass-part-1/ It's two parts since there are a million pictures ...

Here are some pics:

Beautiful. The Pacific Northwest is so awesome.

It looks like so much fun, but you have more guts than me to hike solo.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
So I'm hiking the Batona trail in mid November and am interested in a good/decent underquilt for my hammock. Probably looking at around <30F at night so something with a good temp rating is ideal. I'm more flexible on weight.

Anyone know something good in the range I'm looking at that won't break the bank?

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

So I'm hiking the Batona trail in mid November and am interested in a good/decent underquilt for my hammock. Probably looking at around <30F at night so something with a good temp rating is ideal. I'm more flexible on weight.

Anyone know something good in the range I'm looking at that won't break the bank?

I've never hammock camped below about 30F or so, but I just used an insulated sleeping pad inside the hammock and then slept in my sleeping bag. If it's windy, put up your bug net, which cuts the airflow significantly. I'm not saying you shouldn't mess with an underquilt. I'm just saying that my experience in that temperature range did not require one.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've hammock camped at 30 and a (foam) sleeping pad helped a ton, in conjunction with a sleeping bag. Could not have slept without it, and whenever my feet or arm ended up off of the pad they got real cold.

Doesn't answer your question about underquilts, which i know nothing about, but having something substantial underneath you is very important in hammock camping as it is in regular tents.

e: nice report levitate :frogc00l: i still have to post about my desolation wilderness trip in September

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Agreed to both of you. I usually put down a layer of reflective material, followed by a foam pad, followed by the sleeping bag. I usually have an issue when the pads slide around under me and I lose insulation so thought I'd give a quilt a try and maybe lose the foam and reposition the reflectix.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
A quickly will keep you nice and toasty. They are miracles of thermodynamics with regards to hammock camping.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Hello goons.

I am making my christmas list (per request) and if I can get any of my "big 3" items that way, it would be cool so I wanted to get some opinions on the items I've chosen. So, what do you guys thing of:

Sleeping System: ZPacks 20 Degree Bag/Quilt (http://zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml) & Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm
Tent: ZPacks Hexamid Cuben Fiber Solo Tent w/ Bathtub Floor (I'm aware it would be small, but I'm not a big dude or claustrophobic or whatever) (http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml)
Pack: Gossamer Gorilla 40 (http://gossamergear.com/gorilla-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle.html)

Weight is one of my main considerations as I'm interested in covering lots of ground per day.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

A 40L is a fairly small pack. If that's the right size for what you need, then awesome, but it's worth noting.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

bonds0097 posted:

Hello goons.

I am making my christmas list (per request) and if I can get any of my "big 3" items that way, it would be cool so I wanted to get some opinions on the items I've chosen. So, what do you guys thing of:

Sleeping System: ZPacks 20 Degree Bag/Quilt (http://zpacks.com/quilts/sleepingbag.shtml) & Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm
Tent: ZPacks Hexamid Cuben Fiber Solo Tent w/ Bathtub Floor (I'm aware it would be small, but I'm not a big dude or claustrophobic or whatever) (http://www.zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid.shtml)
Pack: Gossamer Gorilla 40 (http://gossamergear.com/gorilla-ultralight-backpack-all-bundle.html)

Weight is one of my main considerations as I'm interested in covering lots of ground per day.

The only thing I would caution you on would be the tent. I'm just not a fan of Cuben Fiber. The weight savings in my mind dont make up for the insane cost and durability issues. If you plan on spending a lot of time in the tent in rough conditions or plan on doing any off trail bushwacking I would choose another tent.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

bonds0097 posted:

Hello goons.

Zpacks bags/quilts are sized pretty small fyi. I'd recommend going a size up (lengthwise and widthwise) if you're used to being able to pull the bag over your head and sleeping jackknife.

I have a hexamid twin and absolutely love it. The twin is awesome for 1 person and adequate for 2. I love having room inside to spread out all my poo poo so I'd personally go with a twin or solo-plus for one person but the solo is perfectly fine too.

Can't comment on the X-therm or pack.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hungryjack posted:

A 40L is a fairly small pack. If that's the right size for what you need, then awesome, but it's worth noting.

40L packs are plenty for ultralight setups. My gear isn't even especially ultralight and I can fit everything in a 32L pack comfortably. My setup is 14lbs before food/water.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

What is this?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've done many a 2-4 day trip with a 40 L pack. Granted I can fit about 5 extra L under the lid and such, and I always strap my pad and pot on the outside, and I never hike solo. But still, 40 isn't too small.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

40L packs are plenty for ultralight setups. My gear isn't even especially ultralight and I can fit everything in a 32L pack comfortably. My setup is 14lbs before food/water.

So are you saying that 40L is not a fairly small pack?

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Hungryjack posted:

My expectation is mostly overnights or Friday to Sunday trips with a buddy. I'm fine with buying a larger pack later on for longer stuff since packs are relatively cheap when compared to sleeping systems and tents (yikes).

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The only thing I would caution you on would be the tent. I'm just not a fan of Cuben Fiber. The weight savings in my mind dont make up for the insane cost and durability issues. If you plan on spending a lot of time in the tent in rough conditions or plan on doing any off trail bushwacking I would choose another tent.

Thanks for the heads up there. Is there an alternative you'd recommend?

Saint Fu posted:

Zpacks bags/quilts are sized pretty small fyi. I'd recommend going a size up (lengthwise and widthwise) if you're used to being able to pull the bag over your head and sleeping jackknife.

I have a hexamid twin and absolutely love it. The twin is awesome for 1 person and adequate for 2. I love having room inside to spread out all my poo poo so I'd personally go with a twin or solo-plus for one person but the solo is perfectly fine too.

Can't comment on the X-therm or pack.

My expectation is that I'll have to sleep on my side and that the bag will reach up to my neck. Regular is rated for 5'9", I'm 5'8" so I was assuming that would work out. I don't mind going up a size if needed though.

I'll look into the solo-plus, might be a good compromise.

What little backpacking experience I have comes from my Marine Corps days so I basically know nothing about Ultralight but it really appeals to me in a lot of ways (ie. I don't like carrying things and I like going fast :p).

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The limiting factor with a small pack like that is no winter camping generally and shorter distances between resupplys if thats a factor at all.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

bonds0097 posted:

Thanks for the heads up there. Is there an alternative you'd recommend?

I've been really into these tents and will probably get one for myself come this spring:
http://www.yamamountaingear.com/cirriform-series/
He has another series but they are ultralight with all of the features I would look for in a tent.

For whats it worth the reviews on the Hexamid all make it seem like better dry weather/desert tent than anything else.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

BaseballPCHiker posted:

The limiting factor with a small pack like that is no winter camping generally and shorter distances between resupplys if thats a factor at all.

It's probably worth clarifying that I'm only looking into 3-season backpacking for the time being. Once I have more experience under my belt, I'll look into a full set of winter gear.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Hungryjack posted:

Since it looks like he's going real ultralight 40L is probably enough as long as a bear can isn't needed

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Not sure why off trail bushwhacking would impact a tent unless you're trying to say that if you're in an area without any clear spaces then it could be an issue. Usually the tent is safe inside your backpack while you're meandering through underbrush.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've been really into these tents and will probably get one for myself come this spring:
http://www.yamamountaingear.com/cirriform-series/
He has another series but they are ultralight with all of the features I would look for in a tent.

For whats it worth the reviews on the Hexamid all make it seem like better dry weather/desert tent than anything else.

Cuben fiber is waterproof, it's fine for places that rain. If I'm not mistaken those are single wall tents though which will run you into the condensation issue especially if you're in a humid place.

If you just want to avoid Cuben though, you can try a Tarptent. I was eyeing the Pro Trail as a single person that's pretty light

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

eSporks posted:

What is this?

Also wondering this. Assuming rogue autocorrect.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Levitate posted:

Not sure why off trail bushwhacking would impact a tent unless you're trying to say that if you're in an area without any clear spaces then it could be an issue. Usually the tent is safe inside your backpack while you're meandering through underbrush.

Cuben fiber is waterproof, it's fine for places that rain. If I'm not mistaken those are single wall tents though which will run you into the condensation issue especially if you're in a humid place.

If you just want to avoid Cuben though, you can try a Tarptent. I was eyeing the Pro Trail as a single person that's pretty light

I've always had my tent strapped to the outside of my pack in it's bag. Most people I hike with do the same. That's why I bring it up. If he's going with a smaller 40L pack I was guessing he'd be doing the same. Obviously cuben fiber is waterproof, I've just heard people complain about the condensation issues with that tent that you mentioned and also heard that rain splash can be a major issue if you dont get the bathtub floor model.

I've just heard so many people complain about Cuben's durability that I don't really consider that much any more, especially for how much more expensive it is.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

From my limited experience, cuben is tough as hell. Am I just completely off on this one?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I've always had my tent strapped to the outside of my pack in it's bag. Most people I hike with do the same. That's why I bring it up. If he's going with a smaller 40L pack I was guessing he'd be doing the same.

Ah, ok. No one I know hikes with their tent on the outside ;)

I like to have everything inside my pack if at all possible but there's always people who do things different. A tent like that probably packs down so small it can go inside even a 40L pack and often use hiking poles as their support rather than having their own poles to carry.

quote:

Obviously cuben fiber is waterproof, I've just heard people complain about the condensation issues with that tent that you mentioned and also heard that rain splash can be a major issue if you dont get the bathtub floor model.

I've just heard so many people complain about Cuben's durability that I don't really consider that much any more, especially for how much more expensive it is.

Condensation is gonna be an issue with any single wall tent though, but you do save weight. Cuben's durability I'll give you...I think if you're careful and take care of it then you're probably ok but for something that costs so much yeah it sucks to have to baby it

Hungryjack posted:

From my limited experience, cuben is tough as hell. Am I just completely off on this one?

I think it's tough in certain ways and it depends on how thick it is, but I have a cuben stuff sack or two that didn't do so hot with repeated taking out and shoving in of things and being mashed around like that.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I am looking into teaching my self to sew just so I can save some money and make my own CF tarps and poo poo.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

From what I've heard about cuben fiber and my limited first hand experience with it it's overall not as durable as sil-nylon or other similar fabrics. It's supposed to be pretty tear and puncture resistant but susceptible to abrasion and it also doesnt have much stretch to it so when it goes it goes. Here is a decent thread where people discuss the pros and cons of it:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16741

For me I guess I'd rather buy two silnylon versions of something and have a backup for the same cost of the one silnylon.

Also this got me wondering. How many people hike with their tent outside their packs, how many inside?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Hungryjack posted:

So are you saying that 40L is not a fairly small pack?

It's a large pack for people packing ultralight gear like cuben fiber shelters. It's a small pack for traditional gear. It's a good medium sized overnight pack for most people though.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The hexamid+cuben bathtub design is fantastic for rain, not sure what BaseballPC is talking about. Condensation can be an issue in places where is it low wind, cool outside, and humid.

When you go cuben, you don't need to strap your tent to the outside :V because they pack up so small

It's definitely pricey but it's the fabric of the future. Once you feel how light a 2 person cuben tent is (or even better, a cuben backpack) you'll wonder why the hell you've been lugging around a heavy sil-ny tent for so long.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Saint Fu posted:

The hexamid+cuben bathtub design is fantastic for rain, not sure what BaseballPC is talking about. Condensation can be an issue in places where is it low wind, cool outside, and humid.

When you go cuben, you don't need to strap your tent to the outside :V because they pack up so small

It's definitely pricey but it's the fabric of the future. Once you feel how light a 2 person cuben tent is (or even better, a cuben backpack) you'll wonder why the hell you've been lugging around a heavy sil-ny tent for so long.

I was basing that off of this review:
http://sectionhiker.com/zpacks-hexamid/
But no first hand experience.

And you'll see me trompping along with my quarterdome tied to the bottom of my pack for years! Because its the beater tent I use without worrying about my dog hearing a coyote and going nuts destroying it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I was basing that off of this review:
http://sectionhiker.com/zpacks-hexamid/
But no first hand experience.
Oh ok, yeah that guy's review is before they added the "beak" as standard to all of those designs. I could definitely see rain splatter with the old design.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

My husband and I both have 40L packs, we're ultralight in some respects but not all. Our tent and our foamies have to be strapped to the outsides, but we often have room to spare inside for up to 5 day long trips because of what we reduce. I think probably one of the funniest ways we've reduced weight and bulk was to put some of the anti-chafe stick we bought that looks like deodorant and transferred some of it into an empty chapstick tube. But you keep picking away at little things like that and before you know it your pack looks half empty inside with all the same stuff. When we first started out, we really had to plan and pack extremely carefully. Now we're hardly even concerned, and can just stuff everything in without even thinking.

I am going to say 40L is small, but depending on your style, it can be enough. In my backpacking class for my program we were told to buy or borrow at least an 80L, and I was like 'hahaha gently caress that, I'm using my trusty 40 and no one can tell me otherwise'. It was funny when my teacher was checking to see if my straps fit properly. I know that for a lot of the students, they've never gone on an overnight trip before this class, but I felt like I could teach the drat thing myself.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm looking for camping recommendations in Virginia for a mid-November trip. We'll be driving from metro DC and we'd like to keep the drive under three hours.

Last January we did Duncan Knob Hollow in the GW National Forest and enjoyed it but it'd be fun to check out some other spots.

I'd like to keep the hike to 4 miles or less. The more secluded the better. I don't want to camp on top of other people. Duncan Knob was great for this reason, but it was also 20° out, which I imagine contributed to the solitude. We want primitive camp sites and we'll of course need a good fire. It'll just be me and a friend in two tents so there's no need for large accommodations. We'll also have a dog with us.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I very much struggle with overpacking, typing this while sitting on a loving 70lb pelican case full of poo poo I needed to drag along on a short work trip.

I still need to buy a proper sleeping bag to replace the 1lb Hungeryjack special I used this summer. My pack is already at like 35lbs with water so that extra bag weight has to come out somewhere else.

I kinda want to spread all my poo poo out and post pictures so I can be shamed into dropping some stuff.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Haha I feel like I ought to apologize for that sleeping bag suggestion, bunnielab, but honestly, I've only had good results with that cheap-rear end bag :) Next time you go on a trip, take a moment to make a note of things you brought, but didn't need or use. That should help you optimize your next outing.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Bottom Liner posted:

What does your 14lb setup include? I'm always curious what ultra-lighters pack and what they leave at home to keep the weight down.

Also, a 40L pack is fine for most multi-day trips. I have an Osprey Aether 65 that I never come close to filling (even on my PCT trip). However, I hate having stuff tacked to the outside of my pack so the extra room is nice and I can fit everything inside.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Braincloud posted:

What does your 14lb setup include? I'm always curious what ultra-lighters pack and what they leave at home to keep the weight down.

Also, a 40L pack is fine for most multi-day trips. I have an Osprey Aether 65 that I never come close to filling (even on my PCT trip). However, I hate having stuff tacked to the outside of my pack so the extra room is nice and I can fit everything inside.

I'm around 14 lbs without a bear can and that includes a 2 person tent, so I could probably knock off a pound or so getting a lightweight 1 person. Also could get a lighter sleeping pad and take off another half pound probably.

A lot of it is just simplifying some stuff like clothes and cooking supplies, etc. Just take what you're going to use and not taking stuff that you might use but probably won't but just kinda want to take in case you feel like you might use it, etc

e: for example, I take 1 extra pair of socks and underwear, long underwear to sleep in or change into in camp, a lightweight down jacket, some windpants (handy for a real lightweight extra layer in camp or cold days), a balaclava, lightweight gloves, and then just my shorts and shirt I'll hike in. Oh and a lightweight rain jacket, I guess that counts as clothing. Some people go even less by not taking an extra pair of socks and underwear or something. I find I use most of those things (though honestly the gloves and balaclava only really come in handy if it's dipping down to freezing or below at night) and don't need anything else

Levitate fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 27, 2015

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Braincloud posted:

I've posted this before but here's my gear list.

14 lbs with big bear can and 2.5 lbs of camera gear. It's a good weight for me.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Hungryjack posted:

Haha I feel like I ought to apologize for that sleeping bag suggestion, bunnielab, but honestly, I've only had good results with that cheap-rear end bag :) Next time you go on a trip, take a moment to make a note of things you brought, but didn't need or use. That should help you optimize your next outing.

Hah, dont worry about it, it got me out and hiking this summer and, as you know, was $25. Unfortunately, it got me used to a 1lb bag, which isn't at all reasonable.

Also unfortunately, on my longest little hike, I used almost all of my non-emergency gear at some point. Even my dumb little saw loving saved me when my hip decided to go crazy and I was able to make a walking stick and keep going. "Spare" food and fuel are absolutely getting cut, but adding a real bag and pad for winter are going to demand some really large cuts.

Fortunately, I live on a farm full of trails so I can walk around for a few hours then camp, all within maybe 1/2 mile of my house, so if I start to freeze I can just walk home.