Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

PerrineClostermann posted:

I seem to recall Akamatsu saying that, looking back on it, he should have written Motoko to win? Or that they would have made a nicer couple?

Both Chisame and Asuna turned out a lot better than Naru, I feel.

All this talk of older Akamatsu stuff has me wondering. He likes to toss in throwbacks; have we seen any from AI Love You? Negima had several.

What I heard was that he was starting to want to end with a Motoko ending, but he didn't want to prolong the story any longer to reach that point so he concluded the way he did right there. The only thing connected to AI Love You is basically Chachamaru and etc. I assume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

i flunked out posted:

I still dont see why both Nagi and Negi cant both be puppets...

Because Nagi wasn't simply under his control, he was possessed by the lifemaker. As for whether or not Nagi was ever freed without dying, we really don't know. Nagi was in the ending of Negima, but there are multiple timelines involved and that would mean Negi beat the lifemaker once, but then later fought him again and got possessed.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

Because Nagi wasn't simply under his control, he was possessed by the lifemaker. As for whether or not Nagi was ever freed without dying, we really don't know. Nagi was in the ending of Negima, but there are multiple timelines involved and that would mean Negi beat the lifemaker once, but then later fought him again and got possessed.

The lifemaker is a woman, thats been shown in both Negima and UQ holder... Negima showed three timelines at the end, one where Asuna "oversleeps", one where Asuna is with 3-A for graduation, and one where Nagi is alive. So far, we've been shown that the grave of Negi in UQ Holder is distinctly different from the one where Asuna "oversleeps", so as of now, that one isn't the timeline UQ Holder takes place in. We also know that Asuna isn't in the world of UQ holder, so that rules out the ending where Asuna comes back and graduates with 3-A... That only leaves the ending where Nagi is present, and that ending also seems to correspond with what we've seen in the world of UQ holder given Ku Fei's success in the Mahora Martial Arts Tournament and Yue's future as Magical Detective Yue. In that ending, Nagi could have very well ended up being a puppet of the life master again, since this means that Negi wouldn't have killed Nagi himself at the end of his fight with the life maker, but rather stopped Nagi from being used as a puppet. Plus, the only time we've seen Negi as a puppet of the life maker in UQ Holder, Nagi was right there in the same boat as Negi.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

New chapter out.

We finally get introduced to the Yukihiro granddaughter, named Mizore, who apparently knows how to fight some in the Yukihiro style and can do a mean shundo, but winds up falling into a princess carry courtesy of Touta instead when she tries to challenge him to see how good he is and he just reacts. Man, she seems to be really hung up on the same things that most of 3-A was during the Sports Festival at the end of Negima (incidentally, one of my least favorite parts of the manga), though she isn't taking it as seriously, I guess. Long line of ladykillers indeed. Hope that with her introduction finally, we'll see more of her grandmother interacting with Eva in the coming chapters.

Also, cut off possible confession from Kuromaru in the last panel. More teasing from Akamatsu...

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
HA-REM HA-REM HA-REM

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I NEARLY PUNCHED MY SCREEN OUT FROM THAT CUTOFF

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Holy mother of all cockblocks

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wait...her name is Shinobu?

e: Mizore vision 10/10
Touta's response 10/10
That cliffhanger WHY

PerrineClostermann fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 21, 2015

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

That cliffhanger WHY

There is no way in hell that that sentence gets completed. At least not in any way we're expecting.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 21, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Kuromaru longs to tell Touta about his "condition".

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
digging love hina 2.0

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
oh you know that was pre kyoto negima

this is love hina 3.0

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When Ken Akamatsu started Negima, he wanted to draw a battle manga but the publishers wanted more harem manga because Love Hina made bank. So he started it as a harem manga and slyly shifted it to battle manga.
When Ken Akamatsu started UQ Holder, he wanted to draw a harem manga but the publishers wanted more battle manga because Negima made bank. So he started it as a battle manga and slyly shifted it to harem manga.

I'm on to you Ken.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Just because he likes making battle manga doesn't mean he dislikes doing harem manga. Dude likes drawing naked girls, some of whom are way, way too young. No mystery there.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Has crunchyroll started forbidding access to even the most recent chapter for free now?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A jargogle posted:

Has crunchyroll started forbidding access to even the most recent chapter for free now?

Sure seems like it. I've had to read it elsewhere for a while now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sometimes I have to click on the older chapters, and then select the new chapter from the drop-down menu in the lower left. You might want to try manually typing in the chapter # in the URL; even if the link is not there the chapter should physically be present on the server at that address.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Nate RFB posted:

You might want to try manually typing in the chapter # in the URL; even if the link is not there the chapter should physically be present on the server at that address.

Yeah, I manually change the chapter number in the URL every week so I don't have to deal with Crunchyroll's interface not showing the link to the chapter sometimes until a couple of hours after its been uploaded. Hasn't gone wrong for me yet after I started doing so, except of its a week without a chapter, in which case I get their manga reader which then fails to load anything at all.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
New chapter is out!

Mizore is really reminding me of Sara from LH now.

sam16
Oct 29, 2007
Pillbug

Sonata Mused posted:

New chapter is out!

Mizore is really reminding me of Sara from LH now.

Today we learn that Touta took lessons on obliviousness from Seta Noriyasu. We also learn he's upgraded his befriending technique from 'Defeat Them' to 'Strip Them'.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Man I love Touta's mix of assertiveness and complete obliviousness. :allears:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A very Akamatsu way to end the chapter.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The chapter of frustration

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Rocket hammer.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Rodyle posted:

The chapter of frustration

Meh, just more Akamatsu being Akamatsu, and going back to his roots... We had a Love Hina chapter 1 callback two weeks ago, and now we have this.

And Kuromaru does get the confession out, but Touta treats it like the obvious kid he is. Can't say that I wasn't expecting something like that to happen.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 28, 2015

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
It's moderately less creepy since it's not middle school girls/elementary school kids and refreshing that it's taken so light-heartedly. Love Hina took years for confessions and the romance/ecchi was the least interesting part of Negima (for all the love ADRTW has for Rakan it's creepy as gently caress for him to be smacking elementary school rear end.) Having Touta move back to shounen save the world through his love for his surrogate mom is a good compromise. I'm still not convinced it's romantic love, and I'm sure Ken's going to play that distinction for laughs for another few years before having Touta drop "uh I meant I want to be with my family for the rest of my life, peace."

crozero0
Jul 18, 2013
These last few chapter is very good at reminding me that Touta is actually 3 years old.

Also, interestingly, Touta's magic cancel couldn't go through Karin's immortality. Or was the punch just light enough she didn't feel it?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

GhostStalker posted:

Meh, just more Akamatsu being Akamatsu, and going back to his roots... We had a Love Hina chapter 1 callback two weeks ago, and now we have this.

And Kuromaru does get the confession out, but Touta treats it like the obvious kid he is. Can't say that I wasn't expecting something like that to happen.

The frustration being that creeping suspicion that they're just going to make Koromaru a female.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

pinegala posted:

It's moderately less creepy since it's not middle school girls/elementary school kids and refreshing that it's taken so light-heartedly. Love Hina took years for confessions and the romance/ecchi was the least interesting part of Negima (for all the love ADRTW has for Rakan it's creepy as gently caress for him to be smacking elementary school rear end.) Having Touta move back to shounen save the world through his love for his surrogate mom is a good compromise. I'm still not convinced it's romantic love, and I'm sure Ken's going to play that distinction for laughs for another few years before having Touta drop "uh I meant I want to be with my family for the rest of my life, peace."

Don't get me wrong, the fanservice in Negima was hella creepy, but weren't they the equivalent of American Highschoolers as opposed to elementary school?

Rodyle posted:

The frustration being that creeping suspicion that they're just going to make Koromaru a female.

Yeah, Koromaru's character development lately is not my favorite, though I haven't given up hope yet.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bremen posted:

Don't get me wrong, the fanservice in Negima was hella creepy, but weren't they the equivalent of American Highschoolers as opposed to elementary school?

Yeah, Koromaru's character development lately is not my favorite, though I haven't given up hope yet.

AFAIK, Japanese schools have 3 years of "middle" schools and 3 years of "high" school. Class 2-A was, well, in Year 2 of middle school. They eventually became 3-A, iirc.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Bremen posted:

I mean, he spit it out, it's a start.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rodyle posted:

I get the impression that there would have been frustration no matter what gender (if any) Ken went with for them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I don't care what gender Koromaru goes with, but having him/her be so emotionally dependent on Touta is lousy.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"So this is your power?"

Very Akamatsu of Touta to have the ability to strip females (and presumably males) of clothing so easily.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

"So this is your power?"

Very Akamatsu of Touta to have the ability to strip females (and presumably males) of clothing so easily.

I can't help but wonder if there's some kind of insurance industry for clothing in this setting. I mean, it can't be cheap to have your clothes shredded all the time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Evil Thing posted:

I can't help but wonder if there's some kind of insurance industry for clothing in this setting. I mean, it can't be cheap to have your clothes shredded all the time.

Well, one character in negima actually made her clothes out of magic....

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

"So this is your power?"

Psh when his grandpa was like 10 he could do that much with a sneeze.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Well, if it wasn't Karin it would probably result in a missing torso. Touta tended to rip Dana to shreds when he sparred with her.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Elfgames posted:

Psh when his grandpa was like 10 he could do that much with a sneeze.

Touta is like 3 :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

No love for the portable hoop? :yayclod:

• Locked thread