Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

Oh, he was just arbitrarily saying stuff.

TCD posted:

Also. there should be a recent aldac that explains the Mustang process. It looks like there were a few changes that really make it worse compared to previous years.

What changed? The only thing I read on the official State page was that if you pass the OA and clearances and turn down your initial A-100 offer (in the first available class), your name then enters the register according to your actual OA-determined ranking. So if you got a 5.3 at the OA, you could go to the next A-100 automatically, but if you decline that bid, your name goes on the register with the other 5.3s. I'm not sure how this was before, but that would really stink if this is a new policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Had a long conversation with someone in the app process last night about strategy and the overall entry system. Can't reiterate enough -- please don't try to "game" the system by making your cone selection wholly dependent on what you think will get you in.

Also POL work is the loving tits except when its awful like when you have visitors which is most of the time

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

the_chavi posted:

Hey, I volunteered to serve in both Saudi Arabia and Libya. When I say shithole, it's usually not an insult.

(I absolutely love Bulgaria and Macedonia, FYI.)

if you come to moldova, it's close by, and uh, wine.

All the wine you can ever want.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

zzonkmiles posted:

What changed? The only thing I read on the official State page was that if you pass the OA and clearances and turn down your initial A-100 offer (in the first available class), your name then enters the register according to your actual OA-determined ranking. So if you got a 5.3 at the OA, you could go to the next A-100 automatically, but if you decline that bid, your name goes on the register with the other 5.3s. I'm not sure how this was before, but that would really stink if this is a new policy.

Yeah you should probably read the cable. It's changed and eliminated one of the huge incentives.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

TCD posted:

Yeah you should probably read the cable. It's changed and eliminated one of the huge incentives.

Interesting. I only saw information on Diplopedia. Must. Read. Cables.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

TCD posted:

I just read the cable. No me gusta. I guess the Sounding Board will be the next thing to read because I don't think these changes will go over well at all. Even adding .23 bonus points would be preferable to this.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Dudes. Starting at FSI today. Will be here until May. So is there a goons only lunch table or something?

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Bruxism posted:

Dudes. Starting at FSI today. Will be here until May. So is there a goons only lunch table or something?

Most fitting would be in one of those ridiculous angular rooms on the ends. Horrendous use of space (just like goons!) ;)

Or somewhere down the linoleum hall where all the tech people hang out.

I am not there, but will be with you in spirit.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bruxism posted:

I am probably gonna swing by next week for a flu shot if you wanna grab a coffee or something.

Blooregard
Sep 7, 2012

Bruxism posted:

I'm here until mid December. Most days I'm in the lunchroom with a few other IMS in my class, you're more than welcome to join!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Bruxism posted:

Happy hour again?

Homie S
Aug 6, 2001

This is what it means

Bruxism posted:

BRAH I'll be on the east coast for training starting in April, so we'll have to chill out at some point.

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bruxism posted:

Welcome back, friend! Drinks soon?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tyro posted:

I am probably gonna swing by next week for a flu shot if you wanna grab a coffee or something.

I think it will be tricky to meet up around class schedule. Next time!

Blooregard posted:

I'm here until mid December. Most days I'm in the lunchroom with a few other IMS in my class, you're more than welcome to join!

Right on, thanks for the invite. Once I get my daily routine down I'll come crash your IMS lunch one day. I'll PM when I get a chance.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Happy hour again?

Yea, I would be up for that. If people are actually interested and willing to show up?

Homie S posted:

BRAH I'll be on the east coast for training starting in April, so we'll have to chill out at some point.

Chakas! Let me know when you get into town. It would be awesome to catch up.

the_chavi posted:

Welcome back, friend! Drinks soon?

Let's do it. You ever come to Rosslyn?

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bruxism posted:

Let's do it. You ever come to Rosslyn?

Only for a good reason. You count. :) Is that where you're staying?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I may or may not be able to make a happy hour, it will be a game day decision, so schedule whatever works for y'all and I will try to make it.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Tyro posted:

I may or may not be able to make a happy hour, it will be a game day decision, so schedule whatever works for y'all and I will try to make it.

I'm not going to organize another happy hour if people are going to decide on the day of. Maybe another time.

Chavi - PM'd.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

I'll be at FSI from November 2-6. I'll send smoke signals.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Bruxism posted:

Maybe another time.

Sounds good!

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
man sometimes i really loving love this job :3:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Other than the Boren Fellowship and the PMF, what other stuff should I be looking at. Any summer break opportunities of note for a grad student? Other than the State Department internship which I already applied for?

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
So it sounds pretty lame and civil side folks can correct me if I'm totally off base, but I would come up with a plan to try and meet as many relevant state people as you can.

I don't mean try and shake an assistant secretary's hand once -- more like look at the state bureaucracy, and see if you can meet the working level people who will likely have some input on your application. Not in a super sharky way, but it's a small world and if you're social and go to events you might come across people who are a few steps away from those who are currently doing whatever job you want.

Either way it'd give you good exposure/conversations. Also this may be terrible advice idk

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

The Mantis posted:

So it sounds pretty lame and civil side folks can correct me if I'm totally off base, but I would come up with a plan to try and meet as many relevant state people as you can.

I don't mean try and shake an assistant secretary's hand once -- more like look at the state bureaucracy, and see if you can meet the working level people who will likely have some input on your application. Not in a super sharky way, but it's a small world and if you're social and go to events you might come across people who are a few steps away from those who are currently doing whatever job you want.

Either way it'd give you good exposure/conversations. Also this may be terrible advice idk

So who here wants to go grab food in D.C. sometime eh?

I figure you guys are all probably super busy though. Thank you for the input. I'll try and do what I can. Recently went to a CSIS panel for the first time and despite the heavy-DOD-centric talking points it was still enjoyable and a new experience.

Fell Fire
Jan 30, 2012

Woke up to my scores this morning:

Job Knowledge:61.06
Biographic Questionnaire:51.28
English Expression:59.87
Multiple Choice Total: 172.21
Your Essay Score: 8

Passed! Wish I did better on the essay though.

kenner116
May 15, 2009

kenner116 posted:

Biographic Questionnaire: 42.3
English Expression: 50.2
Job Knowledge: 57
Multiple Choice Total: 149.5

I knew my biographic score would be low as I was taking it. Didn't prepare for that part and struggled to come up with examples.

Still was weak on the Biographic section, but at least I passed this time!

Job Knowledge: 65.8
Biographic Questionnaire: 46.49
English Expression: 59.87
Multiple Choice Total: 172.16
Your Essay Score: 7

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?

Fell Fire posted:

Grats! Good thing is, it totally doesn't matter!

I got a six and none can tale i cant right im the only one who noes

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Fell Fire posted:

Samesies:

Job Knowledge:59.48
Biographic Questionnaire:47.86
English Expression:58.02
Multiple Choice Total: 165.36

Third attempt, first time passing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Passed too. Only 169 though (I poo poo the bed on the essay, mostly because I just wanted to get out of there).

Second time passing the FSOT, third attempt overall. Never gotten past the Personal Narratives. So I'd appreciate any help on that front, because apparently I am terrible at it.

EDIT: These are the actual scores. I'm an idiot.

Job Knowledge: 61.06
Biographic Questionaire: 58.13
English Expression 50.61
Multiple Choice Total: 169.8

Essay: 6

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Oct 29, 2015

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I passed for like the fourth or fifth, and likely final, time. Hoping the PNQs go better this time than the last few. On the plus side, I scored really high on the multiple choice and didn't even need to study! :eng101:

quote:

Passed too. Only 169 though (I poo poo the bed on the essay, mostly because I just wanted to get out of there).

If they put the essay first or in the middle I bet scores would improve. I know mine would.

Nutrimentia
Apr 30, 2013

You're a cantaloupe!

Shageletic posted:

(I poo poo the bed on the essay, mostly because I just wanted to get out of there).

Hope you're not pol/econ coned, as wanting to dump the writing in order to get out of there is pretty much the description of the job. ;)

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Congrats to the FSOT passers! Chavi helped me out when I was at the PNQ stage, and now I'm willing to pay it forward. If anybody would like a second set of eyes on their PNQs, please feel free to send me a PM!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nutrimentia posted:

Hope you're not pol/econ coned, as wanting to dump the writing in order to get out of there is pretty much the description of the job. ;)

Haha I'm pol cone.

EDIT: ^^^ That's so nice of you! Once I've gotten it to a place I feel comfortable, I'm going to have to take you up on that.

zzonkmiles
Mar 3, 2014

I got back on the FSO carousel as well.

Job Knowledge: 62.64
Biographic Questionnaire: 62.92
Multiple Choice Total: 185.43
Essay: 8

2011: Passed FSOT, Failed QEP

2012: Passed FSOT, Failed QEP

2013: Passed FSOT, Passed QEP, Failed OA

2014: Passed FSOT, Passed QEP, Failed OA

2015: Passed FSOT, ???

Now that I'm a State CS employee, the new Mustang guidelines make that program of limited use to me since the FSOT has not tripped me up so far. Hopefully the QEP will be kind.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

qwertyman posted:

Congrats to the FSOT passers! Chavi helped me out when I was at the PNQ stage, and now I'm willing to pay it forward. If anybody would like a second set of eyes on their PNQs, please feel free to send me a PM!

Might well take you up on that if able. Will start hammering away at it after work next week. Hopefully be done with it next weekend.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

zzonkmiles posted:

I got back on the FSO carousel as well.

Job Knowledge: 62.64
Biographic Questionnaire: 62.92
Multiple Choice Total: 185.43
Essay: 8

2011: Passed FSOT, Failed QEP

2012: Passed FSOT, Failed QEP

2013: Passed FSOT, Passed QEP, Failed OA

2014: Passed FSOT, Passed QEP, Failed OA

2015: Passed FSOT, ???

Now that I'm a State CS employee, the new Mustang guidelines make that program of limited use to me since the FSOT has not tripped me up so far. Hopefully the QEP will be kind.

Can I ask what things you learned between 2012 and 2013 that allowed you to pass the QEP? It seems like you have a pretty solid line of improvement in your testing.

mtreecorner
Sep 23, 2011
Hey everyone. Long time no post. I am in Canberra now for my third tour.

I thought I'd bring it up since people might be curious. The OMS vacancy has opened up. Good way to get your foot in the door at state/FS. I can answer any questions if you have any.

Also, I can join the pity party on the mustang changes. I waited until I got to my new post before I was going to apply. Of course the cable came out right before I arrived. It's a major change with little benefit now other than allowing you to basically skip the regular QEP.

I know I shouldn't ask but I will.... what are the registers like now? Are any reasonably shorter than the rest? I was considering trying to Mustang but the cable now is making me reconsider my options.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

mtreecorner posted:

Hey everyone. Long time no post. I am in Canberra now for my third tour.

I thought I'd bring it up since people might be curious. The OMS vacancy has opened up. Good way to get your foot in the door at state/FS. I can answer any questions if you have any.

Also, I can join the pity party on the mustang changes. I waited until I got to my new post before I was going to apply. Of course the cable came out right before I arrived. It's a major change with little benefit now other than allowing you to basically skip the regular QEP.

I know I shouldn't ask but I will.... what are the registers like now? Are any reasonably shorter than the rest? I was considering trying to Mustang but the cable now is making me reconsider my options.

If it helps, we had an OMS at my current post become a generalist via the regular FSOT route. But yes I was really disappointed to see the changes too. Because I also waiting until this tour was finished.

Hungry Hippo
May 5, 2006

You expect me to eat this?
So this whole hiring process has been really strange. Apparently my package was submitted to the Final Review Board back in June, but it just sat there. I found this out in October when I called to ask the status of my clearance and was told it had been closed because it was submitted months ago to the FRB and they never got a response back. I called the HR rep and they had no clue what was going on, and eventually came to the conclusion that somewhere in the process my stuff got lost and never made it to the final review board. So after a week of calling every day and emailing them, they found my package and resubmitted it to the board (this was about two weeks ago). I hadn't heard back, so I called today and they were like "oh yeah, you're on the register now, #3 or 4 out of 22), great!

Then later today I get an email from the same HR rep that actually I'm not on the register because my clearance is still pending, even though I passed the review board, so I have to wait for them to give me the clearance before they can place me back on the register. I thought you couldn't even pass the review board without passing clearances?

Does this sound out of the ordinary to anyone else?

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hungry Hippo posted:

So this whole hiring process has been really strange. Apparently my package was submitted to the Final Review Board back in June, but it just sat there. I found this out in October when I called to ask the status of my clearance and was told it had been closed because it was submitted months ago to the FRB and they never got a response back. I called the HR rep and they had no clue what was going on, and eventually came to the conclusion that somewhere in the process my stuff got lost and never made it to the final review board. So after a week of calling every day and emailing them, they found my package and resubmitted it to the board (this was about two weeks ago). I hadn't heard back, so I called today and they were like "oh yeah, you're on the register now, #3 or 4 out of 22), great!

Then later today I get an email from the same HR rep that actually I'm not on the register because my clearance is still pending, even though I passed the review board, so I have to wait for them to give me the clearance before they can place me back on the register. I thought you couldn't even pass the review board without passing clearances?

Does this sound out of the ordinary to anyone else?

Unfortunately, though this case sounds particularly bad, I'm not at all surprised. When I joined ds I originally deferred my first start date to finish graduate school. I understood that my name would remain on the registry until the next class opened up. As the next class for closer and closer and I heard nothing I finally got impatient enough and called to ask. After I asked where I was on the list and what the possibility of being in the next class, I heard the shuffling of papers on the other end of the line and she said " uhhh... Can you start in two days ". I'm convinced that if I hadn't called and followed up so often I never would have gotten the job.

So... If sounds weird, but not really. Keep calling and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Looking back it's amazing I was able to get hired. The level of on-boarding HR incompetence is truly outstanding. It really taught me that in this job, if you want something to happen, you cannot rely on the system or bureaucracy to take care of you or do something in due course. She has her own agenda and she'll never love you back. You're on your own to fight for what you can get/deserve.