Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Dolomite posted:

the mazda2 is the same platform, yet light years better. ford made a mistake getting rid of their stake in mazda. although they didn't learn a thing from them.

the mazda2 was more expensive than a fiesta, but it was still unprofitable and is no longer sold in the united states

economy cars never sell very well in the u.s. and they are almost never profitable. cutting every corner is the only way to get your money back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

lol car chat. so interesting.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
idk im biased bc i rly like my 10 year old scion xa and it was inexpensive as all these others

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

my stepdads beer posted:

lol car chat. so interesting.

sorry, gnome3 ftw

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Smythe posted:

sorry, gnome3 ftw

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the kde5 was more expensive than a gnome3, but it was still unprofitable and is no longer sold in the united states

economy oses never sell very well in the u.s. and they are almost never profitable. cutting every corner is the only way to get your money back

Dolomite posted:

the kde5 is the same platform, yet light years better. gnome made a mistake getting rid of their stake in kde. although they didn't learn a thing from them.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Smythe posted:

sorry, gnome3 ftw

if gnome 3 is the best we can do, it explains a lot about desktop linux market share

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Smythe posted:

sorry, gnome3 ftw

pram
Jun 10, 2001

The_Franz posted:

mini and fiat 500
well designed

lmao

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

lol was wondering why my server wouldn't update so i checked my firewall etc. realized utopic was dropped from support, could've swore I was on LTS but whatever. dist upgraded no problem thankfully

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

have you considered centos

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Smythe posted:

sorry, gnome3 ftw

cmon can i get a "rhel yeah!!" in here??

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

lol

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

have you considered centos

have you ever thought of using gentoo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

b0red posted:

have you ever thought of using gentoo

yes but my doctor gave me some pills and now I don't want to harm myself so much

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

yes but my doctor gave me some pills and now I don't want to harm myself so much

b-b-but systemd is the debil

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

b0red posted:

b-b-but systemd is the debil

i want kdbus merged just to watch the gentoo peoples heads explode

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Ubuntu 15.10 just appears on my OTA or somrthing... i got it ater i had to restard gdm kuz it died. w00t

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

today when i posted that i thouht 'it would be really nice if smythe enjoyed this post, it would make my day'

dreams do come true

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

today when i posted that i thouht 'it would be really nice if smythe enjoyed this post, it would make my day'

dreams do come true

i enjoyed it. thank you

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
same

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

running gentoo with systemd owns, and is supported. and sys-kernel/gentoo-sources has support for kdbus.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

unironic gentoo user, lol

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

you forgot to paste http://fun.irq.dk/funroll-loops.org/

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
didnt linus veto kdbus? i remember he was ripping on it cuz it belongs in userland or something

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

didnt linus veto kdbus? i remember he was ripping on it cuz it belongs in userland or something

he ripped on speed comparisons with userland dbus because userland dbus is slow as gently caress. there were some legit concerns and issues with kdbus that are being addressed, but it's being actively developed and will probably be merged eventually. it's already included in linux-next and fedora rawhide.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
nextbsd is adding Mach IPC because it’s so good

why doesn’t Linux just add Mach IPC and let userspace dbus build on that?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol at userland ipc

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

eschaton posted:

nextbsd is adding Mach IPC because it’s so good

why doesn’t Linux just add Mach IPC and let userspace dbus build on that?

because non-Android userlands on Linux make extensive use of dbus and they don't use Mach IPC at all. Nobody's going to port all of the DBus IPC over to Mach IPC just to satisfy someone's pointless spergery.

https://github.com/systemd/kdbus

Last commit was on Aug 7th though. Hopefully the poo poo actually does make it into mainline at some point.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
has anyone been able to explain how kdbus will solve any problems

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
DBus is actually way more complicated than it needs to be

Mach ports, port names, bootstrap_register and bootstrap_lookup, and mig are perfectly sufficient for the low-level IPC needs of an OS

and you can build things like launchd and XPC on top of them easily, making them very widely available in both the OS implementation and the apps and services running on top of it

does DBus even support passing data of out of band without copies, or passing file descriptors?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

has anyone been able to explain how kdbus will solve any problems

one good reason to route IPC through the kernel is that it's the only way to securely provide trust information for both endpoints to each other: when fartd gets a control message, it can be sure that it came from a properly-signed fartctl, rather than something trying to spoof fartctl

I don't know if that's why KDBus wants to be in the kernel though, most of the reasoning I saw was "it'll be faster without all the context switches" which is a bullshit reason related to DBus being way more complicated than it needs to be

Linux could put Mach-equivalent IPC and implement DBus on top of that, and also see a performance increase because it'd force KDBus to change enough of how it's written that it would no longer require 37 syscalls to send a single drat message

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol :allears:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

eschaton posted:

one good reason to route IPC through the kernel is that it's the only way to securely provide trust information for both endpoints to each other: when fartd gets a control message, it can be sure that it came from a properly-signed fartctl, rather than something trying to spoof fartctl

I don't know if that's why KDBus wants to be in the kernel though, most of the reasoning I saw was "it'll be faster without all the context switches" which is a bullshit reason related to DBus being way more complicated than it needs to be

Linux could put Mach-equivalent IPC and implement DBus on top of that, and also see a performance increase because it'd force KDBus to change enough of how it's written that it would no longer require 37 syscalls to send a single drat message

have you read https://dvdhrm.wordpress.com/2015/06/20/from-af_unix-to-kdbus/ like, at all?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I'm shocked, this actually makes sense

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

why would I? I use (and work on) an operating system where this has been a solved problem for literally decades

also it didn't actually answer my questions

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

your gimmick is boring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
spent the last three days at an open source developers conference run by linux australia and everyone told each other to go gently caress themselves far fewer times than i expected based ott