Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
I don't care about them writing off the 02 cast, this isn't their story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The thing with the Angemon and Angewomon lines is that they're insanely powerful against Virus types but average against Data and Vaccines. TK and Kari were OP on Adventure because their foes were virus, not because they were inherently powerful like WarGreymon or MetalGarurumon.

No, they really are supposed to be extremely powerful. MagnaAngemon nearly beat Blackwargreymon on his own (failing solely because he lost the power to stay Ultimate on his own), despite it being established that he doesn't get his advantage against Control Spire creations. It's just that the writers decide that their Megas are too strong for the stories they want, so they get the same fate as Worf.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, Angemon was explicitly not as powerful against the Dark Spire Digimon due to them not being real- Magna Angemon was still wrecking Black War Greymon's poo poo, physically and otherwise, and only lost because BWG destroyed his power source. Note that Black War Greymon later proved to be equal to regular War Greymon and Imperialdramon Fighting Mode.

Even Angemon tanked attacks he really shouldn't have been able to, taking several direct hits from Machinedramon that would have slaughtered any other champion Digimon, and able to stand up to Venom Myotismon for way longer than he really should have been.

There's a reason why Magna Angemon's contribution to the fight with MaloMyotismon was 'stand around and look cool' because holy poo poo he could have won that fight on his own.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

That and I never thought Angewomon was any stronger than the other Perfects. Angemon was the showoff.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Burkion posted:

Yeah, Angemon was explicitly not as powerful against the Dark Spire Digimon due to them not being real- Magna Angemon was still wrecking Black War Greymon's poo poo, physically and otherwise, and only lost because BWG destroyed his power source. Note that Black War Greymon later proved to be equal to regular War Greymon and Imperialdramon Fighting Mode.

Even Angemon tanked attacks he really shouldn't have been able to, taking several direct hits from Machinedramon that would have slaughtered any other champion Digimon, and able to stand up to Venom Myotismon for way longer than he really should have been.

There's a reason why Magna Angemon's contribution to the fight with MaloMyotismon was 'stand around and look cool' because holy poo poo he could have won that fight on his own.

Didn't MagnaAngemon do the Gate of Destiny attack and it just...kinda sat there and did nothing? Or maybe that was against Apocalymon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Didn't MagnaAngemon do the Gate of Destiny attack and it just...kinda sat there and did nothing? Or maybe that was against Apocalymon.

That was Apocalymon. He used it to destroy one of his claws.

MaloMyotismon, he just does nothing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
- film is about 80 minutes long, 20 minutes are about the daily life of the Chosen
- nobody believes Jou has a girlfriend, and Koushiro wishes live in USA
- both Taichi and Yamato want to spend time with Sora (Yamato invites her to his live concert, and Taichi to his football match)
- it takes several Adult Digimon to defeat Kuwagamon
- D3s revert back to original Digivice
- when Kuwagamon is defeated, Alphamon and Hack/Huckmon show up
- Alphamon wants Meikomon, who is infected with a strange virus similar to X-Program
- Koushiro tries to analyze Alphamon but gets nothing but the name
- Alphamon summons Ouryuken and overpowers Omegamon
- Taichi denies Omegamon to use Garuru Cannon so not to cause collateral damage (The english is bad here, but the gist is that Taichi and Yamato argue whether or not to use the cannon on Alphamon. Taichi argues not to because collateral damage. Yamato argues to do it and fires anyway)
- Yamato argues and wins so Garuru Cannon is used anyway
- Alphamon defeats Omegamon and the Chosen are sent into a dark dimension
- the villain is an secret governmental organization that is related to the virus, and Daigo, the substitute, has something to do with this organization
- Koushiro's new PC is a Pine Book
- Taichi's new goggles can see digital distortions

Some extra spoilers. And the reason Koushiro wants to go live in America is a crush on Mimi.

As always, no idea if these are real spoilers or just someones fanfiction.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

They really, really don't want anything from 02 if they'd bother to revert the two D3s back to the original model digivice design.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Geostomp posted:

They really, really don't want anything from 02 if they'd bother to revert the two D3s back to the original model digivice design.

Considering 02 was a flop and Adventure fans are why they made this, makes sense.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Covok posted:

Considering 02 was a flop and Adventure fans are why they made this, makes sense.

The thing is 02 technically wasn't a flop. I mean critically it's a flop but it actually made money and got good ratings when it was on TV from my research. However I'm not sure how the 02 anniversary DVDs did, and critically nobody likes it. I mean for goodness sake with the exception of Ken this is a popularity poll

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd imagine at the time, at least, 02 did very well for itself. The show became way more of a toy commercial than season 1 ever was, since season 1 was just made to promote the tamagachi line and they largely left them alone beyond that. Season 2 got stuck with ALL of the gimmicks and extraneous forms and very, very toyetic bullshit stuff.

Like even their dumb PDAs that had their digieggs in them some how were toys. I still have one.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Burkion posted:

I'd imagine at the time, at least, 02 did very well for itself. The show became way more of a toy commercial than season 1 ever was, since season 1 was just made to promote the tamagachi line and they largely left them alone beyond that. Season 2 got stuck with ALL of the gimmicks and extraneous forms and very, very toyetic bullshit stuff.

Like even their dumb PDAs that had their digieggs in them some how were toys. I still have one.

Pretty much everything I've looked up says this. At the time, 02 did hot cakes, it was watched by a lot of kids, it sold a lot of toys, it got high ratings, it was successful in every way it was possible to be... except critically. Critically the show bombed and burned and died a death. The voice actors didn't really know what they were doing, there were 4-5 directors/writers. I have been told but cannot find sources that production was troubled. And we all know the fallout from the end of it. If you think the bitching was west-exclusive you would be wrong. No one liked the ending.

Long story short, as much money as it made at the time, it's very clear now it wouldn't make much money. I think Toei realizes that much.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

02 has one director (the same director as Adventure), but it did have 2 lead writers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Onmi posted:

- film is about 80 minutes long, 20 minutes are about the daily life of the Chosen
- nobody believes Jou has a girlfriend, and Koushiro wishes live in USA
- both Taichi and Yamato want to spend time with Sora (Yamato invites her to his live concert, and Taichi to his football match)
- it takes several Adult Digimon to defeat Kuwagamon
- D3s revert back to original Digivice
- when Kuwagamon is defeated, Alphamon and Hack/Huckmon show up
- Alphamon wants Meikomon, who is infected with a strange virus similar to X-Program
- Koushiro tries to analyze Alphamon but gets nothing but the name
- Alphamon summons Ouryuken and overpowers Omegamon
- Taichi denies Omegamon to use Garuru Cannon so not to cause collateral damage (The english is bad here, but the gist is that Taichi and Yamato argue whether or not to use the cannon on Alphamon. Taichi argues not to because collateral damage. Yamato argues to do it and fires anyway)
- Yamato argues and wins so Garuru Cannon is used anyway
- Alphamon defeats Omegamon and the Chosen are sent into a dark dimension
- the villain is an secret governmental organization that is related to the virus, and Daigo, the substitute, has something to do with this organization
- Koushiro's new PC is a Pine Book
- Taichi's new goggles can see digital distortions

Some extra spoilers. And the reason Koushiro wants to go live in America is a crush on Mimi.

As always, no idea if these are real spoilers or just someones fanfiction.

That sounds kind of lovely to be honest :smith:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well... Digimon really can't do sequels, It's never done a good sequel.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Onmi posted:

Early summary

This reads very fanficcy, but to be fair that's sort of the thing I expected from an Adventure sequel 16 years later. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and wait to actually see the movie, but these are the sort of details that really cool my enthusiasm. Maybe the writing is top-notch and the story as a whole works, but right now I'm not sure if I'm going to put money on it.

Honestly to me 02 being seemingly deliberately expunged feels like a bad sign. Jobbing out the new cast and the dumping the D3s feels like they're steps taken for the sake of the fandom and not for the sake of the story, and I've been a Gundam fan for long enough to know that priorities like those spell trouble. A lot of those details really do feel like badfic, running and rerunning a bunch of fandom ships, introducing some special new girl who is the lynchpin to the plot, the way they're apparently playing Taichi, jobbing out the cast to lazily establish a threat, and hell even Alphamon showing up are all the sort of things I might expect to see in a fanfic. Hell they're all things I've literally READ in fanfiction.

I really do hope Tri shakes out well, but again I'm not willing to bet on it yet. I'll forgive them if the whole endeavor comes out well, but for now only time will tell.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Look

If it all ends with that stupid distant future ending removed, destroyed and burned, I will forgive just about any bullshit the show throws at us.

It is odd though that they'd pursue Matt and Tai competing for Sora's attention if they WERE going to keep the epilogue in place, I will say.

Classy Hydra
Oct 30, 2011

You did wrong, Jack,
rest your soul.
I'm not sure how "mysterious new character who is integral to the plot" is particularly fanficcy considering it's one of Digimon's favorite plots to pull in general (see: Kari, Ken, Ryo, Kouichi, Ikuto, Yu).
I'm totally okay with them adding new characters, as wallowing in the exact same cast as from Adventure, but aged up and facing a new villain, is exactly the sort of stunted creativity I'd expect from an amateur fanfic writer.

Commenting on movies based on spoilers slowly trickling through is typically a bad idea, so I'm trying not to let these affect my expectations any. I am a little disappointed it sounds like we're getting very little resolution from this one film, though: that means the Tri-movies almost certainly are going to be a single coherent story cut into multiple movie form, which sounds good until you realize we'll be waiting half a year until we're into the meat of the story and this first film will barely be setup.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I don't think I remember Meikomon. Which one is that?

Also I'm sad my boy Kuwagamon's undefeated streak is over. At least it sounds like he went down badassly.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Bee posted:

I don't think I remember Meikomon. Which one is that?

Also I'm sad my boy Kuwagamon's undefeated streak is over. At least it sounds like he went down badassly.

Meikumon is a new cat digimon who is Meiko's partner.

Yeah... The spoilers do seem kind of like something a fan would make up. They're pretty inoffensive though. I imagine it'll still be enjoyable, just not a complete story.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Welcome to the magical world of movies bassed on anime franchises!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

readingatwork posted:

Welcome to the magical world of movies bassed on anime franchises!

Hey now, Our War Game was a good movie.

I think :ohdear:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Oct 27, 2015

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Our War Game was a good movie

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Hosoda movies are great, Diaboromon Strikes back was alright, and the second Tamers movie was kinda fun. Everything else was less than stellar.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

I stand that movies 1, 2, 6, and 7 were legit good, and movies 4, 5, and X-Evolution were definitely worth watching even if they aren't as good (Also X-Evolution's CG has aged horribly). Movie 3 is REALLY pretty and has gorgeous cinematography, but it's also a correspondence course on many of Adventure 02's annoying problems. Movie 9 would be more fun if it wasn't way too short.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Whichever ones made up the first half of Digimon the Movie were good. The ones that were in the second half, bad.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
To be honest, every super-late sequel to any old loved franchise is usually just fanfiction stuff. This is also true in games (hi, Final Fantasy 4 sequel) and western animation (hey there, ReBoot clusterfuck). The exception is often film, but that satisfaction occurs just by just throwing modern effects at the thing in a very expensive way, and to do that first you have to convince a studio that there's enough latent interest in Jurassic Park or whatever to do it.

I mean, the story of Episode VII is "this time the Death Star is larger and blows up entire solar systems instead of single planets at a time". That story techique where everything is just like before but this time the stakes have been scaled larger is pure fanfiction tier stuff, it's a lot easier to put together than to try to imagine what that villain colony would do if they weren't always building more existential threats, and what the rebels would do if they weren't always blowing them up.

But the point is, nobody cares because they've never seen low-altitude dogfights between X-Wings and TIEs look so good before, and because the sets look like impractical 70s-80s designed angular gray corridors again, instead of the fully CGI hovering glowing cones that replaced them. So rather than lament a plot that could be found on fanfiction.net if you searched hard enough, just enjoy that anyone's making a story with the Adventure crew in 2015 to begin with. That Omegamon fight probably looks cool.

mikeycp posted:

Whichever ones made up the first half of Digimon the Movie were good. The ones that were in the second half, bad.

The guy who was making that movie didn't want to staple that third act onto the first two, but apparently was ordered to.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Oct 28, 2015

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Craptacular! posted:

The guy who was making that movie didn't want to staple that third act onto the first two, but apparently was ordered to.

From what I remember hearing, the issue was down to how whilst animated features being slightly extended episode length was still acceptable in Japan, it was a big no-no for a Stateside release. Movies 1 and 2 together are barely over an hour's running time, so whilst its unfortunate, its pretty easy to see why it happened.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
It lead to a movie that was pretty cool for 2/3rds of the whole deal...the last 1/3 is easily skipped.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Okay so the situation was Saban wanted to make a movie length feature, while Jeff Nimoy (the Director) didn't think that story wise it was feasible to do it. He didn't mind combining 1 and 2, but he fought hard that 3 shouldn't be included since they would have to cut so much from it. He basically tells that he argued all day, finally convinced them that it was a bad idea, came into work the next day and got told "Yeah you have to put the third movie in." so he just went, "gently caress it"

http://digipedia.db-destiny.net/cast_crew/nimoy2.htm

Nimoy is a decent guy even if he gets poo poo on by the fanbase.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The reason he got poo poo on by the fan base, at least initially, was because he overstated the importance of localization by making the source sound a lot more inappropriate than it was. I can't remember the exact quote, but he referenced Sora and Mimi hitchhiking on the road for the group at some point, and referred to it as "cheesecake". People who had seen that scene thought he sounded excessively like a prude.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Why do you get all the pizza while I get the crust

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Level Slide posted:

that should have turned into an ad for stuffed crust pizza imo

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Level Slide posted:

Lines like that were shoved in to Apocalamon and yet Myotismon was allowed to suck women's blood just barely offscreen. Not to mention his satanic resurrection occurred at 666 and his crotch demon.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 28, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

If I recall correctly the jokes were actually mandated by the higher-ups at Saban.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Considering Saban doesn't really like having a single second where somebody is not speaking, that makes sense.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
I feel like Nimoy consulting with Digimon fans about who they want to see cast in Data Squad was a good sign the guy cares about this franchise more than people give him credit for.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Really makes one wonder how much better D:TM would have been if they had used Movie 4 instead of Movie 3, heck I remember as a kid finding the Movie 3 portions lame cause they were only using Armor Evolutions when the show had already gotten to introducing the gen 2 Adult Stages(can't remember if they had gotten to Jogress Evolution yet), and Magnamon was old news by then(although Rapidmon Gold and seeing Seraphimon and MagnaDramon was pretty neat)

Come to think of it, if I knew how to edit videos I'd be tempted to create an edit of D:TM replacing the Hurricane Touchdown portion with the dub for Movie 4, maybe make a couple additional edits as well as needed

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
Its kind of a shame that they weren't able to wait for Movie 4 (or were they? I'm not sure on how far the Japanese version of the series had gotten at the time), because it fits much better with what they tried for movie 3 - namely, trying to create an overarching storyline through the separate movies, rather than simply being an anthology, what with Diablo/boromon's return. Not to mention, it kinda creates a more... fitting framing, I think. Movie 1 is the beginning of the whole thing, Movie 2 is in between series, and Movie 4 is after the adventure has ended.

Movie 3 is just... there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Movie 4 didn't exist at the time. it came out a year after the fact, and I'm fairly certain no one at Saban knew it was happening.