Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thread is officially poo poo..... roll on episode 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Gyges posted:

Flipped through some Iron Fist trades today and I really wish Marvel would do some sort of anthology tales of the Iron Fist thing. Those brief stories of other Iron Fists were pretty sweet.

Except the future one, Jesus that was bad.

They did, kinda-sorta. There was an Immortal Weapons miniseries that came out after the Brubaker/Fraction/Aja run of Immortal Iron Fist.

Finally watched the Jessica Jones trailer tonight. I was on board anyway, having loved Daredevil and read the Alias comics years ago. But my wife, who has no interest in superhero stuff at all, watched it with me and was PSYCHED. She's actually looking forward to it, and was even asking questions about stuff in the trailer.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

They did, kinda-sorta. There was an Immortal Weapons miniseries that came out after the Brubaker/Fraction/Aja run of Immortal Iron Fist.

Finally watched the Jessica Jones trailer tonight. I was on board anyway, having loved Daredevil and read the Alias comics years ago. But my wife, who has no interest in superhero stuff at all, watched it with me and was PSYCHED. She's actually looking forward to it, and was even asking questions about stuff in the trailer.

I meant as one of their animated things. I'd really like an Animatrix/Gotham Knight style thing with each one in a different style. Then if it does well enough just release more.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The comic was pretty much a long walk of misery.

I don't really agree, I felt like there was plentiful humor throughout. Not Yakkity-sax humor, but I thought it was more fun than Game of Thrones.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I don't really agree, I felt like there was plentiful humor throughout. Not Yakkity-sax humor, but I thought it was more fun than Game of Thrones.

Yeah, I kind of always thought Jessica Jones/Alias was more of a survival/rehab story. Jones went through some truly horrific poo poo and when we first meet her she's in a hugely self destructive place. And by the time the story has finished she's dug herself out of that hole and is rebuilding her life. If you focus on the horrible poo poo I guess no one can stop you but the heart of the story for me was always Jessica fighting to keep that horrible poo poo from breaking her.

Game of Thrones by comparison is all about "there's no hope, there's no happy ending, it all turns to ash."

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I kind of always thought Jessica Jones/Alias was more of a survival/rehab story. Jones went through some truly horrific poo poo and when we first meet her she's in a hugely self destructive place. And by the time the story has finished she's dug herself out of that hole and is rebuilding her life. If you focus on the horrible poo poo I guess no one can stop you but the heart of the story for me was always Jessica fighting to keep that horrible poo poo from breaking her.

Game of Thrones by comparison is all about "there's no hope, there's no happy ending, it all turns to ash."

Yeah, if I'm remembering correctly the arc of the comic is her not only fixing herself mentally and all, but also reengaging the world. Starting as an alcoholic, isolated loner and ending up having an assistant, a relationship with JJJ and his family of all people, her and Cage with a baby on the way and Carol as her actual BFF.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
JJJ's family? Since when? Man, it would be so sweet if they could get JJJ into season 2 or something.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Argue posted:

JJJ's family? Since when? Man, it would be so sweet if they could get JJJ into season 2 or something.

Since about the start of the comic's run. J. Jonah hires Jessica to find his ward, who was Spider-Woman at the time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There's a rumor circulating and it's just a rumor so keep perspective, that a Punisher series is going to replace the proposed Iron Fist one.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

gently caress

THAT

Serf
May 5, 2011

#GiveUsIronFist

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's awesome, gently caress an Iron Fist show

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I want both.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

zoux posted:

There's a rumor circulating and it's just a rumor so keep perspective, that a Punisher series is going to replace the proposed Iron Fist one.

Hm...
I'm ok with this.

Also makes more sense in the context of the Netflix Marvel Universe, Iron Fist is likely too fantastical for it.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 28, 2015

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Punisher is a lovely villain. He is not, never has been, and never will be, a hero.

gently caress Punisher. Give us Iron Fist.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
He's a good villain, but we need heroes more. Give us Iron Fist.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am infinitely less interested in Angry Shootmans than mystical kung-fu action.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Punisher works best when there's a universe full of villains with enough masterminds who won't get offed and enough C-listers he can kill, and heroes that he can bounce off of. I don't know if there's enough of that on this level of the MU at this time without heavily tying him to, say, Daredevil, which has enough of a cast and powered/gifted people for Punisher to work with and/or kill.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Eh... a Punisher series would tie in nicely with Daredevil, with lots of crossover potential after Daredevil Season 2.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I am infinitely less interested in Angry Shootmans than mystical kung-fu action.

Yes, as much as I like Punisher Max, I really don't want a TV show where Frank is the protagonist.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I really liked Punisher MAX and so on but I am really jonesing hard for an Iron Fist. Yellow bandanna domino mask green tights and all

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
A Punisher series would be retarded. 90% of action television is already "Gritty Badass on the edge of becoming evil". Also, Punisher is only okay in small doses in a larger super-hero world because it quickly becomes apparent that any hero who doesn't use guns is a loving moron.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

the only way a Punisher series would actually be any interesting if the series ends up getting as progressively stupider like the Deathwish movies. just gimme punisher rigging up a soccer ball to be explosive and fighting old men.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh there's gonna be a Punisher series, it's just a question of whether it's instead of or along side an Iron Fist series.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I would be fine if they didn't go with Iron Fist and did Punisher so long as Defenders had Danny in it.

Frank wouldn't really fit in with that whole team dynamic, plus you gotta have Iron Fist and Luke Cage together.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't see how they would do Punisher instead of Iron Fist without scrapping Defenders.

I could see a Punisher series working fine if it had little crossover with other heroes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Punisher crosses over with the street level guys all the time.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Punisher crosses over with the street level guys all the time.

I think Punisher appearing in other series would be fine, I don't see a Punisher series with other heroes in it working. Is what I was trying to say.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Snak posted:

I think Punisher appearing in other series would be fine, I don't see a Punisher series with other heroes in it working. Is what I was trying to say.

Oh right, like if he were heavily in Defenders, I see.

Frank's not much of a joiner so I'd be super surprised if he replaced IF in a potential Defenders series.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I'd rather just rewatch the Shield.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deakul posted:

Hm...
I'm ok with this.

Also makes more sense in the context of the Netflix Marvel Universe, Iron Fist is likely too fantastical for it.

I don't know, psychic martial artists trained in a parallel dimension seems more believable to me than an American war veteran with a proactive approach to law enforcement who puts his Second Amendment rights ahead of everyone else's First Amendment rights joining a superteam with a black ex-convict and there being no problems whatsoever.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Deakul posted:

I've seen this brought up a few times and I just don't get it.

Iron Man and Daredevil are both about singular men going out and doing something about the problems in their respective worlds. Hulk and Jessica Jones (presumably) both push that established world a little further into the sci-fi realm, with a giant, green rage-monster in one, and a creepy, purple thought-monster in the other. An educated guess about Luke Cage in comparison to Captain America, both have "the system" empowering a single person and the ramifications thereof. So, that makes Iron Fist the equal of Thor, and if the Tesseract, with so much Asgardian mythology behind it, ultimately lead to The Avengers, who's to say that some of the magic of Kun-Lun hasn't already permeated the MCU at large. Because it totally has.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Danny Rand gets his powers from killing a giant magic dragon with his bare hands and well you just can't get around that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I know very little about Iron Fist and I'd still want him much more than Punisher.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Oh right, like if he were heavily in Defenders, I see.

Frank's not much of a joiner so I'd be super surprised if he replaced IF in a potential Defenders series.

I'm not sure if your first sentence is sarcasm?

I haven't read much Punisher comics, so I'm out of my depth here. I just had this sense that when Punisher crossed over with other characters, he was often as a foil, antagonist, or "dark mirror". The Punisher's very existence in a world full of heroes doing non-lethal playthroughs of their stories is problematic. The Punisher is what a real vigilante would be like and his methods make perfect sense in a world where blunt force trauma isn't inherently non-lethal. If people died sometimes when DareDevil threw them off building or savagely beat them, he would be an idiot for not using guns. Like Batman. These other heroes have the benefit of magic non-lethality. In a world where this magical non-lethality exists, the Punisher is inherently bad: he could accomplish everything he does now with bean-bag guns and rubber bullets, which in comic-book world would always be non-lethal. Instead, Punisher chooses to kill people, because they deserve it. This is how it is when Punisher crosses over to other heroes stories.

When a story focuses on Punisher, the idea that Punisher could fight all the people he does without killing them is much less emphasized. Sure he wants to kill people, but how often is it presented that he could accomplish what he does with a non-lethal tool-set? I got the impression that guns and knives were presented as the tools that a mortal man needs to oppose evil men who are thus armed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's not.

And Frank loving loves killing criminals. It's not really a divine calling or anything, he hates crime and loves killing criminals.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

What we need is a Punisher miniseries where every episode is a different origin story. Just Fank Castle's family getting killed over and over and over.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I'm one of the people who thinks that Punisher: War Zone is the best live-action feature-film adaption of the character, so...

edit: ^It would be pretty cool to do like an anthology of a bunch of different writer/directors doing one-shots of Frank's origin.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

zoux posted:

It's not.

And Frank loving loves killing criminals. It's not really a divine calling or anything, he hates crime and loves killing criminals.

The Punisher is basically Batman without the pretense that Batman would never kill or that Batman is better than the criminals themselves.

That being said, Joss Whedon had it right when he said the Punisher should never be seen as a hero and the fact that he has never really killed an innocent is bullshit. The man is a psychopath who just happens to target people that have no real protection.

edit: It's why the Spider-Man/DD/Punisher dynamic works. All 3 or vigilantes, who have differing views on the society, who think they are doing good.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

zoux posted:

Danny Rand gets his powers from killing a giant magic dragon with his bare hands and well you just can't get around that.

Are you suggesting we should want to? Because that's awesome.