Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Hi-Zack looks like poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
The Hizack is one of my favorite Zaku variants. It's big, chunky, and has a gigantic heat hawk. It's a Zaku on steroids that looks like it's going to gently caress you up.

quote:

I like Zeon because their mechs, uniforms, and flags are cooler looking. And I feel like that's more common in the west.

The Federation feels too generic compared to Zeon. Zeon has a lot of eye-catching mechs with vastly-different shaped bodies and cool-looking 70s-style evil uniforms. The Federation has...a billion GM and Gundam varients and uniforms that are boring, WWII-era uniforms and those stupid blue for dudes and pink for girls ones. The X, 00, and AGE Federations are a lot more interesting.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i like the Fed uniforms, but Zeon does seem to have a style advantage between their uniforms and the sheer number of unique suits they seem to have in comparison to the Feds

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

closeted republican posted:

The Hizack is one of my favorite Zaku variants. It's big, chunky, and has a gigantic heat hawk. It's a Zaku on steroids that looks like it's going to gently caress you up.

If I'm going for a Zaku variant, I'll take the F2 Kai from 0080 or the Geara series successors. Zulus are beautiful.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

If I'm going for a Zaku variant, I'll take the F2 Kai from 0080 or the Geara series successors. Zulus are beautiful.

Black Tri-star or Ramba Ral custom Zaku 1 would be my favourite Zaku design. Their custom paint jobs are boss.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

closeted republican posted:

The Federation feels too generic compared to Zeon. Zeon has a lot of eye-catching mechs with vastly-different shaped bodies and cool-looking 70s-style evil uniforms. The Federation has...a billion GM and Gundam varients and uniforms that are boring, WWII-era uniforms and those stupid blue for dudes and pink for girls ones. The X, 00, and AGE Federations are a lot more interesting.

The advantages of Space Hugo Boss working for you.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
I wonder if any of those resources M'quve said would allow Zeon to fight another 10 years were sweet duds.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Nasgate posted:

Black Tri-star or Ramba Ral custom Zaku 1 would be my favourite Zaku design. Their custom paint jobs are boss.

Zaku I bros 4 lyfe

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Zaku II F2 is the best-looking Zaku II. The Kai and FZ are nowhere near as pretty.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It looks like we might be getting a Thunderbolt OVA: http://gundamguy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/mobile-suit-gundam-thunderbolt-anime.html

I hope it's not CGI.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 28, 2015

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I'd be ok either way to see wacky arm flailing combat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

The Zaku II F2 is the best-looking Zaku II. The Kai and FZ are nowhere near as pretty.

The F2 is the basic Zaku II design given a more modern look, basically fixing up the line art and making everything more consistent. I still prefer the Kai, because its darker color contrast and stahlhelm are cool.

It's me, I'm the terrible children in 0080 who think the mobile suits are cool and can't wait for the next war to start.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

The F2 is the basic Zaku II design given a more modern look, basically fixing up the line art and making everything more consistent.

Exactly my point. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Hi-Mock is the best Zaku.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Scopedog is the best Zaku

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It looks like we might be getting a Thunderbolt OVA: http://gundamguy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/mobile-suit-gundam-thunderbolt-anime.html

I hope it's not CGI.

Given the complexity of the designs I'd put good money on it being CGI. Not that I mind personally. I've never gotten the fuss a lot of people kick up about it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If they can bring in Studio Orange to handle the CGI then I'd be down with that.

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 28, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I hope it's really good traditional animation

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

tsob posted:

I've never gotten the fuss a lot of people kick up about it.

I find it looks cheap and ugly compare to cel animation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Given the complexity of the designs I'd put good money on it being CGI. Not that I mind personally. I've never gotten the fuss a lot of people kick up about it.

Well-done CGI is good and fine. The problem is that a lot of CGI tends to be really lovely and low-budget CGI looks a lot worse than low-budget cell animation in anything short of "Gundam is literally a square box" level low-quality animation.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sunrise seems content to keep Gundam the last bastion for traditionally animated robots, though I can't remember how much CGI there was in Origins

Just those horses

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

Sunrise seems content to keep Gundam the last bastion for traditionally animated robots, though I can't remember how much CGI there was in Origins

Just those horses

Weren't all the robots in The Origin CGI? And it didn't look great.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sakurazuka posted:

Just those horses

The only episode of Origin we've had so far has had relatively little robot action but every single bit of it was CGI.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I find it looks cheap and ugly compare to cel animation.

I like to watch old Japanese tv shows and Chinese films with ropey practical effects, and old Japanese cartoons filled with rather terrible art so I guess I've just gotten used to things looking cheap I guess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

boom boom boom posted:

Weren't all the robots in The Origin CGI? And it didn't look great.

The CGI in The Origin was not bad, actually. The space battle at the beginning was excellent. The Guntank showdown, not so much.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Exactly my point. :v:

At least the Kai was in a good show and not Stardust Memory.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Let's give this the rundown:

Zaku II: Good Zaku. Its cute and goofy (but slightly intimidating) design is ideal for the generic mook-suit our heroes will slaughter by the dozen. That wide, staring monoeye is very expressive.

Hizack: OK Zaku. It looks like an ugly, bodged-together mishmash of GM and Zaku parts hammered out by the lowest bidder... which is exactly what it is, so that's fine.

Zaku III: OK Zaku. It's suitably intimidating for a high-spec suit, but I miss the II's curves, and the feet are big enough to be a bit silly.

Geara Doga: Good Zaku. What the III should have been. My only complaint is that it looks a little too badass for a low-budget crapbucket.

Zaku Kai: Bad Zaku. Sorry, Bernie, but it's way too broad, like it's constantly at the wrong aspect ratio, and where the gently caress is its forehead?

Zaku F2: OK Zaku. It's not as ugly as the Kai, but shrinking the head, raising the shoulders, and narrowing its eye-slit did it no favours. It kind of looks like it's angrily looking around for the jerk who stepped on it.

Den'an Zon: Good Zaku. Creepy and unique.

Zolo: Good Zaku. Sleek, stylish, intimidating, and has impressively little kibble for a transforming suit. I even like the beam rotor - sue me.

Death Army: Good Zaku. It's Gundam's favourite mook envisaged as a supernatural beast from Japanese mythology (specifically, an oni) for the noble martial artist to take down mano a mano, and I dig it.

Leo: OK Zaku. The little hat is cute, and I like how it borrows a bit from real-world tank designs, but it comes across as a bit plain and dull compared to the original's quirky charm.

Zaku JC: Good Zaku. Unlike the Kai and F2, it alters the proportions in a good way, broadening the shoulders to give the Zack a more realistic, intimidating feel to go with the more detailed linework while keeping the head proportional and preserving the original's wide-eyed, expressive charm. The colour scheme is neat, too - the unpainted tubes and panels help sell it as a battle-worn pile of spare parts slogging through a gruelling ground war.

Jenice: Good Zaku. The grilled monoeye and hot-rod exhausts give it a hulking, savage wasteland-barbarian vibe straight out of a Mad Max movie. You can smell the terror of the post-apocalyptic villagers who see a horde of bandits coming towards them with this at their head just by looking at it.

Borjarnon: Good Borjarnon. Not quite sure what it's doing on this list, though - what in Queen Dianna's name are 'Zakus' when they're at home? Seriously, though, this is a great redesign - the lowered shoulders and extra-wide monoeye make it look as lovably pathetic as it should be.

Bugu: Bad Zaku. G-Savior's curse of the disproportionately tiny limbs strikes again. In particular, the arms look bady mismatched with the torso.

GINN: Bad Zaku. It's unpleasantly blocky, that gigantic head-fin looks stupid, and its medieval broadsword clashes jarringly with the rest of SEED's technological aesthetics.

ZAKU Warrior: OK Zaku. SEED's ugly colouring does it no favours, and it isn't as striking as some other Zakus, but it's a decent modernisation of the concept without the GINN's poor design decisions or the obnoxious blockiness of many SEED designs - its plain legs and torso are nicely set off by the head and shoulders. A reasonable attempt at a generic villain mech.

Tieren: Good Zaku. Gloriously ugly, clunky Chinese walking tank that's one of the series's biggest success stories in creating a nearish-future mech combat aesthetic for the Gundams to party-crash.

Geara Zulu: OK Zaku. It's not bad, per se, but it's a bit too skinny and looks a bit too much like a guy wearing a costume rather than a giant robot. A definite step down from the Doga.

Zila: Bad Zaku. Booo-ring.

Space Jahannam: Good Zaku. It's big and intimidating enough to serve as an ace suit for a main character, and plain and visibly low-tech enough (in comparison to its foes) to serve as an underdog mook-suit. I like how it incorporates the standard Amerian ball cockpit, showing that it's their most advanced design, and the cross-shaped monoeye and folding beam axe are both totally loving awesome. Also, it has the angriest crotch armour of any suit on this list.

Graze: OK Zaku. It has a really striking, intimidating silhouette, and I love how the show uses it in battle, but I'm not entirely sold on the big yellow reels in its torso or the pair of butt-shields - seriously, what are those for?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'd never actually looked at the other suits in G-Saviour very much, but drat, the Bugu owns

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The butt shields are the thrusters set in their planetary position for a lower center of gravity.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

You forgot the Re G-IT

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

You forgot the Re G-IT

Not Zaku enough. I went for 'suit most like a Zaku II in its series', and while the RG is a fun riff on the III, it's in the same show as the Space Jahannam.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
You forgot the Hi-Mock.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

You forgot the Hi-Mock.

I'm sorry, Yajima Trading's lawyers won't allow us to call that a Zaku. It is a completely original, copyrighted design, and any resemblances to other franchises' intellectual property are purely coincidental. Not least because the original designer (who has now unfortunately left the industry, forfeiting the royalties from his creation - we understand how upsetting this must be, and will try to get in contact with him as soon as is possible) turned out to be an alien. You seriously think an alien would commit copyright fraud?

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010
the Zaku I is just a Zaku II without the tubes

where does it sit on the list

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Crummelhorn posted:

At the top

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Crummelhorn posted:

Funnily enough, the I has had a string of suits referencing it as well. There's the Zoloat, the Anf, the Jahannam, the Gavane Gooney Custom, the Tallgeese, et cetera. I figured they would probably warrant a separate post, if anyone was so inclined.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Darth Walrus posted:

Leo: OK Zaku. The little hat is cute, and I like how it borrows a bit from real-world tank designs, but it comes across as a bit plain and dull compared to the original's quirky charm.

Bullshit, the Leo's great!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
None of these Zaku Ranking Lists are in any particular order.

Best

1. Zaku II F/J
2. Zaku I
3. Zaku III
4. Den'an Zon
5. Leo
6. Hizack

Good

1. Geara Zulu
2. GINN
3. Jenice
4. Graze
5. Tieren
6. Death Army
7. Zolo

Eh

1. Geara Doga
2. SEED Destiny Zaku
3. Jahannam
4. Zaku II FZ
5. The Zaku thing Neo Japan has in G.
6. Zaku II JC

NO

1. Zila
2. Bugu

Not a Zaku

1. Borjanon
2. Zudah

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am sort of legitimately upset you didn't include Gouf under Not A Zaku.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I am sort of legitimately upset you didn't include Gouf under Not A Zaku.

I knew people would be expecting it, so I didn't add it just to throw everyone off. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
The Origin only has CG because the director specifically requested it. So blame that rear end in a top hat.