Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

I've never had a DVR either, although I also know what one is. He's gotta be joking, right?

On a related note, this is my 10th anniversary of being a cord cutter. So it's live TV for me, unless I watch it online later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My wife and I are Hulu people. Just watch it at our leisure, commercial breaks for only 15 seconds at a time. 30 minute shows are only 24 or so. We just mute the ads. We can stop/start whenever. For shows we watch together we stream through Apple TV, otherwise we'll watch stuff on our iPad.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Soothing Vapors posted:

like 15 years grandpa

raditts posted:

Where do you live, exactly? I think the only person I know who doesn't have some sort of DVR is my dad, and even he might have it and just not know it because he barely ever watches TV.

I'm a 23 year old College student living in a US city most people outside of the country probably know of.
I just don't really do TV or current trends or whatever.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Aquasnake posted:

How the gently caress? How long has this been around?

Seriously? Tivo's came out in the 90's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TiVo

Also, every cable company has a DVR box that usually costs a little bit more each month if you want that instead of the standard cable box.
I think most or all satellite boxes do the same thing too.

violetdragon
Jul 27, 2006

RAWR

Aquasnake posted:

How the gently caress? How long has this been around?

As others have said, 5-10 years. I think I've had it about 4 years and was a late adopter. At first, there were TiVo boxes that you had to buy separate from your cable. It wasn't too long after that when cable companies started incorporating DVR into their cable boxes.

M_Gargantua posted:

I don't have a DVR! I know perfectly well what they're good for though.

In a strange series of bundle deals I pay for non-HD cable through Comcast in order to pay less total then I would for internet alone. Comcast is very confused by my lack of desire for HD cable. But the two set top boxes I have are very old yet functional converter boxes with no capability other then shrinking widescreen to letter boxed 4:3 to display on my widescreen TV :downs:

Does your tv have a zoom button or a setting where you can change the type of display? I don't have HD either, but there are 5 or so settings to change the way the picture looks. I found one that makes the picture fill the tv screen without looking distorted. It's not HD quality, obviously, but it's better than watching in a tiny box.

It's always super weird to go back to non-HD cable tv after watching an HD DVD or playing a HD game.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I just have a HDMI dangling from my TV that I plug into computers and things, I don't think I even get channels?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Yeah this is probably one of the better serial detective shows out there. Also how amazing is the Max Rage CEO because every scene he is in Stephen Weber just crushes it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love this thread.

"Pause live TV? WTF!?!??!"

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

They named the dog Minor :3:

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Who did Major get the text from at the end? Rita?

I am impressed that Major's life did not get worse at the end of this episode. Things are looking up!

hes gonna crash so hard

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Things are looking up? Methinks he's going to lose Liv too. I mean, his hook-up is her roommate. She's bound to spill the beans. Not to mention the "Zombie Kill List" is still up, plus the kid knowing that he takes Utopium.

It's the up before the mighty crash.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Pan Dulce posted:

Things are looking up? Methinks he's going to lose Liv too. I mean, his hook-up is her roommate. She's bound to spill the beans. Not to mention the "Zombie Kill List" is still up, plus the kid knowing that he takes Utopium.

It's the up before the mighty crash.

Major doesn't know that Rita and Glinda are the same person, does he? I think that would just turn Liv completely against her instead of Major if the full truth came out.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I totally thought the evil redhead was gonna walk in while Liv and Major were hugging.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Keeping Minor around is gonna comeback and bite him on the rear end so hard.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

JT Smiley posted:

Keeping Minor around is gonna comeback and bite him on the rear end so hard.
Gah, I just realised why he is called that way. Ravi is great!
What's the chance that the dog has one of these tracker chips?

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Air is lava! posted:

Gah, I just realised why he is called that way. Ravi is great!
What's the chance that the dog has one of these tracker chips?

With Major's luck? 1000%

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I thoguht Liv's speech about how she and Major were over for good forever meant that they WOULDN'T be making out at the end of the episode. Shows what I know. When he came into her apartment and said he needed help I thought she would hold him as he cried about how he was a murdering drug addict or whatever

Also yeah it looks like the heat is definitely going to come down on major since they seem to have introduced a new character to investigate his zombie purging.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fast Luck posted:

I thoguht Liv's speech about how she and Major were over for good forever meant that they WOULDN'T be making out at the end of the episode. Shows what I know. When he came into her apartment and said he needed help I thought she would hold him as he cried about how he was a murdering drug addict or whatever

Also yeah it looks like the heat is definitely going to come down on major since they seem to have introduced a new character to investigate his zombie purging.

Major and Liv reuniting as a couple once more is a storyline I really wish wouldn't happen, but I'm sure will be on and off at least a few times. Especially with the knowledge now that it's only been a year since she was turned. Lot of pent up emotions there on both ends.

I imagine Rita/Gilda will be some kind of catalyst for it not working out this time, that and I can certainly imagine Liv would take issue with his current job (even if he is doing it to keep her from being killed right away).

At the very least Major went from a character I cared nothing for to one of the most interesting arcs in the show.

Loving the blonde 'totally not a grown up version of Veronica' FBI agent Clive will most certainly bone.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I wouldn't call this a turnaround for Major, it's just another step deeper cause up till now he's been keeping his self-destruction from hurting others. Now he's going to bring the pain down on Liv as well.

I still don't buy Peyton being totally fine with the zombie thing, it's way too easy

e: I just got Minor's name. Brilliant.

Rarity fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 28, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Peyton having the hots for Blaine is almost as funny as people not getting the Minor thing until now.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

She originally broke up with him because she was afraid of infecting him. Now that he has been infected and 'cured' it may be safe for them to be together.

Or it may be very dangerous since they only have a limited understanding of how the whole thing works and their total sample size with the cure is 4 subjects. Is the cure supposed to have somehow vaccinated him against future exposure? What happens if his blood or fluids gets into her, will his vaccinated blood interact with her active zombie blood? We don't see much sciency stuff, this isn't CSI, but did they even try New Hope's blood on uninfected rats to check if she is still an infectious carrier able to infect or vaccinate others?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Angela Christine posted:

She originally broke up with him because she was afraid of infecting him. Now that he has been infected and 'cured' it may be safe for them to be together.

Or it may be very dangerous since they only have a limited understanding of how the whole thing works and their total sample size with the cure is 4 subjects. Is the cure supposed to have somehow vaccinated him against future exposure? What happens if his blood or fluids gets into her, will his vaccinated blood interact with her active zombie blood? We don't see much sciency stuff, this isn't CSI, but did they even try New Hope's blood on uninfected rats to check if she is still an infectious carrier able to infect or vaccinate others?

Or maybe the writers didn't think of that.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
Does Major know that Gilda is Liv's room mate? Who's apartment did he wake up in? She might have two as the view from that apartment didn't look like a view that Liv's would have.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

durk onion posted:

Does Major know that Gilda is Liv's room mate? Who's apartment did he wake up in? She might have two as the view from that apartment didn't look like a view that Liv's would have.

It was probably her real apartment, since living with Liv is just a job for her billionaire dad/boss.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

durk onion posted:

Major has no clue, because he's been avoiding Liv for months. Plus there's no way he'd knowingly hook up with someone that lives with his ex fiance, in her apartment.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Plus there's no way he'd knowingly hook up with someone that lives with his ex fiance, in her apartment.

Unless he was like, high as balls.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I'm watching the first season of this on Netflix and I'm wondering, has the show covered how non-white zombies look? Seems like going white is would be harder to deal with for someone who's black.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While the dog's name is definitely supposed to be pun I believe its not "Minor" but "Miner" because Ravi said he was digging in the trash.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

Gaunab posted:

I'm watching the first season of this on Netflix and I'm wondering, has the show covered how non-white zombies look? Seems like going white is would be harder to deal with for someone who's black.

Oh, there's a pretty prominent minority that's a zombie. I don't want to say who in case you're not there yet, but it's Lieutenant Suzuki

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
There's a few black zombies, they just look like regular dudes somehow.

Barbed Tongues posted:

Unless he was like, high as balls.

He doesn't know they live together. Otherwise he would have mentioned to Liv that her roommate is secretly recording her every word.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this? posted:

While the dog's name is definitely supposed to be pun I believe its not "Minor" but "Miner" because Ravi said he was digging in the trash.

nah it's minor

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

It's both, because Ravi is exactly the kind of person who'd love that kind of double-pun.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Gifs!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

nah it's minor

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
All of the non-main-character zombies have that convenient spray tan and hair dyeing thing (in all shades of humanity!) so the show doesn't have to do zombie hair and makeup 4-5 times or so an episode. They just never have bothered to show what a black zombie really looks like.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Did I miss a quick joke about human-Blaine bleaching his hair?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Lycus posted:

Did I miss a quick joke about human-Blaine bleaching his hair?

He kinda has to or else his cronies will probably gang up on him and eat his brain to find out where he's hiding a cure

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I get that, I just don't remember if they made a jokey reference to it or not.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

nah it's minor

*sigh*

I acquit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

All of the non-main-character zombies have that convenient spray tan and hair dyeing thing (in all shades of humanity!) so the show doesn't have to do zombie hair and makeup 4-5 times or so an episode. They just never have bothered to show what a black zombie really looks like.

There was the one Indian girl who was Liv's rival in medical school, the one that I think invited her to the boat party? They found her trapped in a drainage ditch and she'd gone feral.

• Locked thread