Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Xabi posted:

Will Plex help me watch all the juicy (and legal) content I have stored on my computers? Without the delay ufarn is talking about? Or will I have to find some other solution for that kind of behaviour?

I am usually hypersensitive to delays in audio, and I have not seen this behavior using Plex right now on my ATV3 with the files served off my Mac Mini ... so I would assume a native plugin will work even better.

The only thing I ever saw it choke on was some 10-bit encoded fansubs, and that was a couple years ago. Those same files work fine now.

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Xabi posted:

Will Plex help me watch all the juicy (and legal) content I have stored on my computers? Without the delay ufarn is talking about? Or will I have to find some other solution for that kind of behaviour?

The Plex server is responsible for transcoding and muxing the audio and video so I'd expect that those problems could be fixed with a powerful enough server. At any rate, I haven't ever experienced any delays so I always recommend Plex.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Btw, looks like Best Buy will have the new ATV on Nov 4th.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm curious if Plex on the new Apple TV will support Dolby Digital Plus 7.1 and DTS-HD passthrough. I asked them on Twitter but said they weren't announcing anything yet so I'm not sure how to interpret that.

I'm looking to get rid of my dedicated HTPC, but I'll need the replacement to support 1080p, 24 Hz, and HD audio passthrough (i.e. for full quality Bluray-rip playback)

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Prepping for shipment also.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It will be on sale in stores this Friday

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

noirstronaut posted:

It will be on sale in stores this Friday

In Apple Stores, especially.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/28/apple-stores-to-start-selling-new-apple-tv-on-friday/

Think I'll just sleep in and get mine when the Fedex guy shows up at 11:59:59am.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I need to sell my current one. It holds no information, but it still feels like it'll be a hassle setting up a new one similar to how buying a new iPhone goes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Supposedly it pulls a lot of info from your iPhone or iPad, so a lot of it will easy enough.

May be taking a trip to the Apple Store Friday depending on when this thing ships.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

It looks like the new Apple TV won't support DTS-HD and 24 Hz playback :(

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

I need to sell my current one. It holds no information, but it still feels like it'll be a hassle setting up a new one similar to how buying a new iPhone goes.

Setup is about the easiest thing. Since the 3rd gen AppleTV, you can tap your iPhone 5 or later on your AppleTV unit and it'll transfer all your account settings and wifi passwords.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thwomp posted:

Setup is about the easiest thing. Since the 3rd gen AppleTV, you can tap your iPhone 5 or later on your AppleTV unit and it'll transfer all your account settings and wifi passwords.

Wait, what?

What technology does this use?

Somehow I didn't know this was a thing.

e: Oh just BT. I wonder how it knows the tap happened though.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013

Thwomp posted:

holy poo poo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Martytoof posted:

Wait, what?

What technology does this use?

Somehow I didn't know this was a thing.

It probably has a BT connection open and the iPhone's accelerometers pick up the tap and connects and sends whatever. I actually wouldn't put it past Apple to include the sensors in the ATV for just this purpose.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

When you first power on an AppleTV, the first screen allows you to proceed via the remote but also prompts you to use your newer iPhone to tap so it must know to have Bluetooth enabled.

yeah, check it out on Apple's official support site.

Edit:VVV yeah well typing out all the loving requirements is a pain (iDevice running iOS7 or later and an AppleTV 3rd-Generation running AppleTV Software 6.0 or later) and it should work on all of the new AppleTVs.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 28, 2015

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Also it requires the revised ATV 3

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

oh yeah I looked it up, it's iBeacons. I totally forgot that was even a thing. Basically BT LE

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

In Apple Stores, especially.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/10/28/apple-stores-to-start-selling-new-apple-tv-on-friday/

Think I'll just sleep in and get mine when the Fedex guy shows up at 11:59:59am.

I got the pre-noon too, because I am an impatient man child.

I will literally NOT hook mine up until Plex exists, however. I just won't do it. So I hope it the Plex App is approved and good to go on Friday.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If not, the SimPlex app should be.

TBH I kind of want to get mine on Friday and return the one that comes in the mail just because -- if I can then why not. I'd love to have it for the weekend. I'll stop in the Fruit Stand and decide on Friday I guess.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

I got the pre-noon too, because I am an impatient man child.

I will literally NOT hook mine up until Plex exists, however. I just won't do it. So I hope it the Plex App is approved and good to go on Friday.

My birthday is saturday so dammit, I want to have the whole day to play with new apps, and Siri and have it not suck. That's all I ask for. :)

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I wish the new AppleTV had the option to minimize video into a sort of picture in picture while you browse for something else.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

My birthday is saturday so dammit, I want to have the whole day to play with new apps, and Siri and have it not suck. That's all I ask for. :)

Happy early Birthday! :)

Martytoof posted:

If not, the SimPlex app should be.

I will google, but what is Simplex? Herpes Simplex? :p

[edit] Oh poo poo I guess other devs can/will/have made Plex receiver apps. poo poo man. Dope!

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 28, 2015

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

Happy early Birthday! :)

I will google, but what is Simplex? Herpes Simplex? :p

[edit] Oh poo poo I guess other devs can/will/have made Plex receiver apps. poo poo man. Dope!

Thanks. :)

http://simplex.video

Yeah, SimPlex looks really good. Because of how they just 're-did' Plex Player, I'm afraid the Plex dudes are going to PlexPass the app for the first month and thereby give up a ton of sales.

Edit: Nice, he just announced SimPlex is ready for sale as of just 2 minutes ago.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/187382/simplex-a-native-3rd-party-plex-client-for-the-new-apple-tv-4th-gen/p8

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Kenderama posted:

Thanks. :)

http://simplex.video

Yeah, SimPlex looks really good. Because of how they just 're-did' Plex Player, I'm afraid the Plex dudes are going to PlexPass the app for the first month and thereby give up a ton of sales.

Edit: Nice, he just announced SimPlex is ready for sale as of just 2 minutes ago.

https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/187382/simplex-a-native-3rd-party-plex-client-for-the-new-apple-tv-4th-gen/p8

I bought PlexPass (jus Monthly) this month so I could get Plexing immediately. No big loss, but yes I await any kind of GOOD Plexperience. (<--- Oh poo poo!)

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Feenix posted:

I bought PlexPass (jus Monthly) this month so I could get Plexing immediately. No big loss, but yes I await any kind of GOOD Plexperience. (<--- Oh poo poo!)

(I see what you did there.)

I honestly have been thinking about a PlexPass - it's a drat fine program and deserves support. It's just with using it only on my Certificate-Helped Apple TV it never seemed worth it since it only really gave me a client for my Xbox -- that I won't use :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is there any video or layout walkthrough of the SimPlex-perience?

I wanna study up a bit.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hmm. Do we know whether the existing apps/channels are going to be present on the ATV4? I just realized I'm going to throw a shitfit if NHL GameCenter isn't available on day one. I don't really want to run two ATVs in parallel for just that.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
Oh yeah they are staying. Some may be supplanted by more powerful ones though. I know the NHL one is going to be replaced like the MLB one is.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Excellent.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Is there any significant reason to consider an ATV if I already have a Chromecast?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
How invested are you in the Apple ecosystem? Do you care about having access to the iTunes library of content? Does light gaming matter to you?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Well for starters you don't need a separate device for it to do literally anything.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Can I return my ATV ordered from apple.com in an Apple Store? Or do I have to ship it back?

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

OldSenileGuy posted:

Can I return my ATV ordered from apple.com in an Apple Store? Or do I have to ship it back?

You'll need to call the Online Store, they'll provide you with a return number.

Your account won't get credited until the item gets back to the hub, though so ~1week

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

OldSenileGuy posted:

I'm like 90% sure you can take it back to the store, Apple doesn't really care where you buy it from.

e: nevermind I guess

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ManSedan posted:

Is there any significant reason to consider an ATV if I already have a Chromecast?

An App Store.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

You can defo take it back to an Apple Store. I returned an Apple Watch band to an Apple Store that I bought online.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Yes, sorry to expand the return number that the Online store gives you is what you quote to the retail store, they'll get you to sign some paperwork, and you're off.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Yeast posted:

Yes, sorry to expand the return number that the Online store gives you is what you quote to the retail store, they'll get you to sign some paperwork, and you're off.

You don't even need that. Just tell the in-store clerk your order number (which starts with a W and will be in your confirmation email).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012
The first media reviews are rolling out.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/28/9631652/apple-tv-2015-walt-mossberg-review

quote:

While Apple TV is the last of the leading streaming boxes to have voice search (even Comcast’s X1 cable boxes have voice search), I tested it against the voice searches in the Roku 4 and the Amazon Fire TV and found it superior. Now, all it needs is to cross-search among many more apps, especially YouTube.

Great! This is good!

quote:

Much more annoying, to me, was the inability to restore apps and settings from your old Apple TV. Channels you liked and have used before have to be fetched again from the app store. And, for those which require signing in, you have to do it all over again. Apple TV may now be an iOS device, but it’s the only one that doesn’t let you restore. Apple counters that this is because it’s the first Apple TV with iOS, so there’s no backup from which to restore, and hints that it’s working on this for the future.

Ugh. So it sounds like, unlike I said earlier, you'll still have some of the old channels, but you'll have to redownload them, re-sign into them. Not a huge deal, I guess. but ...

quote:

And, as good as Siri has become, it feels limited on this device. It needs to work on all or most of the apps, not a few. It doesn’t even work in the Apple Music app. And it’s odd that it can’t handle all the queries that it can on an iPhone, or speak to you.

I don’t know when, if ever, Apple will reinvent TV. But this isn’t the moment. I can say that, if I were buying a streaming box right now, this is the one I’d buy, if only for the promise of lots of apps.

So it's a standard, Apple, first-gen product. For the early adopters, and people who are tolerant and use the Apple store and ecosystem - it's a good, probably best choice. But it isn't the smooth, letter-and-font-perfection we would come to expect from Apple on a finished product. I think we'll see Siri improve a lot behind the scenes as the service matures - but again, I'm one of the tolerant Apple fanboys who love first gen products. :)

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 29, 2015