Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crummelhorn
Nov 3, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Funnily enough, the I has had a string of suits referencing it as well. There's the Zoloat, the Anf, the Jahannam, the Gavane Gooney Custom, the Tallgeese, et cetera. I figured they would probably warrant a separate post, if anyone was so inclined.

the Jahannam has TWO pieces of shoulder armor, you imbecile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I thought Garrod and Tiffa were adorable, but they're not as cute as the RX-78-2 and the Gyan.

That is true giant robot love.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

boom boom boom posted:

Scopedog is the best Zaku

yeah

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that's a zaku flipper sry

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

3 posted:

yeah

That doesn't even look like a scopedog

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Droyer posted:

That doesn't even look like a scopedog

The Zaku Flipper looks pretty similar to the Standing Tortoise from VOTOMs, this guy:

It looks nothing like a Scopedog though.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

I watched the first episode of Turn A and holy cow! The setting is so cool. It doesn't even feel like a Gundam series, which is definitely a nice change of pace. That episode really moves, too. This definitely fits in with Gainer and G Reco with hitting the ground running. I wish more shows did that.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It slows up a bit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I have to say, overall The Origin is great, but there's a couple of bits I still don't like. Char randomly being a Guntank ace at age 8 is stupid, and the characterisation changes to Jimba Ral and Kycilia aren't great. The changes to the scene where Kycilia executes Gihren are especially bad, since she shoots him in cold blood and her "if any of you disagree, press charges after the battle" line is gone, which removes one of her few redeeming qualities.

The decision to make M'Quve into a noble enemy was sort of weird, but I didn't mind it as much.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I have to say, overall The Origin is great, but there's a couple of bits I still don't like. Char randomly being a Guntank ace at age 8 is stupid, and the characterisation changes to Jimba Ral and Kycilia aren't great. The changes to the scene where Kycilia executes Gihren are especially bad, since she shoots him in cold blood and her "if any of you disagree, press charges after the battle" line is gone, which removes one of her few redeeming qualities.

The decision to make M'Quve into a noble enemy was sort of weird, but I didn't mind it as much.

M'Quve's been getting more sympathetic treatment for a while now. Many of his nastier actions were removed in the compilation movies, and Char's Deleted Affair (which followed the 0079 movie continuity) gave him a big heroic sacrifice allowing Dozle's wife and child to escape to Axis.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Char isn't really a guntak ace at Age 8. It's literally sitting in the cockpit and shooting. Jimba Ral is honestly pretty much in-line with how he's portrayed in his few appearances. He's crazy and paranoid and passes that along to Char.

I also think you're misremembering how Kycilia kills Gihren in the show. It is absolutely in cold blood.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Char isn't really a guntak ace at Age 8. It's literally sitting in the cockpit and shooting.

He's an 8 year old with zero piloting/gunnery experience who kills three or four Guntanks (crewed by actual soldiers) on his own by "literally sitting in the cockpit and shooting."

ImpAtom posted:

Jimba Ral is honestly pretty much in-line with how he's portrayed in his few appearances.

This isn't the case in the show, either (because all you hear of him is Sayla saying he was a nice old man).

ImpAtom posted:

I also think you're misremembering how Kycilia kills Gihren in the show. It is absolutely in cold blood.

This is what she sounds like in the dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkK4_SS1ILY&t=184s

She's as angry in Japanese (and her internal dialogue calls him a "patricidal monster"), and the line about filing charges is there in both versions.

Darth Walrus posted:

M'Quve's been getting more sympathetic treatment for a while now. Many of his nastier actions were removed in the compilation movies, and Char's Deleted Affair (which followed the 0079 movie continuity) gave him a big heroic sacrifice allowing Dozle's wife and child to escape to Axis.

I guess I forgot what he's like in the films - I'm totally okay with him being less of a crony. The Origin has him attempt to nuke Revil's landship, then when that fails, he tells his second in command that he's refusing Kycilia's order to fire their remaining nukes because he's not a Zeonist fanatic, won't follow the Zabis blindly and is refusing to damage Earth. He then gives the order to retreat, personally leads a mobile suit squad in a sortie to buy time for the retreat, and ultimately self-detonates in the middle of the Federation's sea fleet to buy more time.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 29, 2015

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Lemon Curdistan posted:

He's an 8 year old with zero piloting/gunnery experience who kills three or four Guntanks (crewed by actual soldiers) on his own by "literally sitting in the cockpit and shooting."

He kills one of them by complete surprise, kills another one while they're making GBS threads themselves and running into each other to try to fall back because they just got fired on by their ally, then kills the other two by driving directly forward and holding down the guns. Keep in mind this is way before the OYW so none of these actual soldiers have faced another mobile suit before, nevermind one that is supposed to be on their own side opening fire on them in a crowded narrow street with no room to maneuver. The Fed guntanks were also told to stop the rogue guntank, not kill it, so those moments of hesitation could easily lead to their deaths in that situation. Look at the soldiers who Hamon bribed to get the guntank in the first place; do you think the average Federation soldier on Munzo is particularly competent?

The stolen Guntank is absolutely savaged, too; Char and friends survived by pretty much blind dumb luck, not Char being an 8 year old guntank ace.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 29, 2015

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Hes also a newtype soooo

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It doesn't really matter how many excuses you make for why he gets to be an 8 year old Guntank ace, it's a dumb scene that doesn't need to be there, which is my issue with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

He is facing soldiers who literally were not expecting to be fired on. Also he is a Newtype and "A Newtype is uncommonly capable when thrust into a mobile suit" is Gundam.txt

Lemon Curdistan posted:

This isn't the case in the show, either (because all you hear of him is Sayla saying he was a nice old man).

It is the case in Tomino's novels which are where the Origin draws a lot from. A lot of Gundam material is established in Tomino's novels and was gradually adopted afterwards.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

She's as angry in Japanese (and her internal dialogue calls him a "patricidal monster"), and the line about filing charges is there in both versions.

I'm confused what your complaint is about the Origin version to be honest. She is noticeably disgusted by his action there too.

I actually agree with you about M'Quve's weird heroic last stand though but other people are right in that it is an ongoing trend for the character.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 29, 2015

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Technically, you have to score five kills to qualify as an ace. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm confused what your complaint is about the Origin version to be honest. She is noticeably disgusted by his action there too.

There's significantly less build-up (she doesn't sit down and do a bunch of work and talk to Char in-between asking where the Great Degwin is and deciding to shoot him, she doesn't call him a patricidal monster, there's no "stop joking around" exchange between them) and the line about filing charges (which suggests she's willing to face the consequences of her acts) is replaced with "if anyone objects, speak up now" when she has her hand on her gun and a platoon of armed soldiers behind her.

This completely changes the tone of the scene from "Kycilia is doing what she feels she has to, and is willing to legally own up to the consequences of her actions once the immediate crisis is over" to "Kycilia just charged in, staged a coup using Degwin's murder as a reason to shoot Gihren, and browbeat everyone in the command centre into obeying her orders at gunpoint."

(There's also a scene earlier on in the manga where she's shown to also be plotting against Degwin, something which is obviously absent from the series and again, turns her shooting Gihren from revenge into something a lot more calculating and overall changes her from someone who is loyal to her father to just another backstabbing Zabi.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 29, 2015

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

There's significantly less build-up (she doesn't sit down and do a bunch of work and talk to Char in-between asking where the Great Degwin is and deciding to shoot him, she doesn't call him a patricidal monster, there's no "stop joking around" exchange between them) and the line about filing charges (which suggests she's willing to face the consequences of her acts) is replaced with "if anyone objects, speak up now" when she has her hand on her gun and a platoon of armed soldiers behind her.

This completely changes the tone of the scene from "Kycilia is doing what she feels she has to, and is willing to legally own up to the consequences of her actions once the immediate crisis is over" to "Kycilia just charged in, staged a coup using Degwin's murder as a reason to shoot Gihren, and browbeat everyone in the command centre into obeying her orders at gunpoint."

(There's also a scene earlier on in the manga where she's shown to also be plotting against Degwin, something which is obviously absent from the series and again, turns her shooting Gihren from revenge into something a lot more calculating and overall changes her from someone who is loyal to her father to just another backstabbing Zabi.)

Actually, she did have her own thing going on in the anime. Long before her coup, she was having M'Quve skim resources off the top of his mining operations to fund and equip her own cadre of loyalists. There was always an element of opportunism to her icing Gihren.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Kycilia being scheming is again something that was presented before. She was building her own corps and preparing for a coup relatively early on in the show. The only real question is if it was just against Gihren or if she would have gone after her father too. Kycilia was literally the person for attempting to weaponize Newtypes, she is supposed to be pretty unpleasant. Material (again, including the Tomino novels) make it pretty clear she's not Gihren level but she is just below him. Degwin equates the two of them in his mind while lamenting Garma's death.

I have to check my copy of The Origin when I get home but what I recall of that scene is that the moment she figured out what Gihren did she flips which if anything stresses how disgusted she was by it, not that she cared less. I also think you're taking the 'file charges' thing at face value when she pretty clearly didn't mean it in that fashion. She's effectively saying "No, shut up" as opposed to going "I did something wrong."

A lot of The Origin draws on the post-TV material, especially the novels and errata, but that's the sort of thing where Gundam has made a good chunk of that either soft or hard canon for quite some time. The Origin effectively takes Tomino's Gundam novels and melds them with the series, which would be more glaring if not for the fact that a ton of Gundam material effectively recognizes that stuff already. I can't even remember if General Revil's "Zeon Is Exhausted" speech is mentioned in the TV show for example.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Oct 29, 2015

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Here's a question about viewing order. I've watched the MSG 0079 movies and am currently watching through Zeta Gundam.

What is absolutely necessary to see in order to watch Char's Counterattack and then Unicorn? I've heard bad things about ZZ and honestly am more interested in the movies from a time perspective.

Definitely liking Zeta Gundam so far. I like how Kamille is actually growing as a person, which I didn't feel from Amuro in 0079.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, she did have her own thing going on in the anime. Long before her coup, she was having M'Quve skim resources off the top of his mining operations to fund and equip her own cadre of loyalists. There was always an element of opportunism to her icing Gihren.

There was always an element of her plotting against Gihren for power, but murdering him was pretty clearly something she did as a direct result of his killing their father.

Like I said, her loyalty to Degwin was basically her one redeeming character trait in the show, and The Origin gets rid of it.

unpurposed posted:

Here's a question about viewing order. I've watched the MSG 0079 movies and am currently watching through Zeta Gundam.

What is absolutely necessary to see in order to watch Char's Counterattack and then Unicorn? I've heard bad things about ZZ and honestly am more interested in the movies from a time perspective.

Definitely liking Zeta Gundam so far. I like how Kamille is actually growing as a person, which I didn't feel from Amuro in 0079.

You can skip ZZ, you just need to know that Char goes back to being Zeon at the end of Zeta. Hell, you can skip Zeta too, really, just as long as you know who Amuro and Char are, and the general UC timeline (the OYW/White Base/the Titans taking over/Amuro and Char fighting the Titans together).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 29, 2015

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

unpurposed posted:

ZZ isn't necessary for CCA, but it is necessary for Unicorn

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Droyer posted:

ZZ isn't necessary for CCA, but it is necessary for Unicorn

That's definitely not true. The only thing that's really connected to ZZ is Marida and all you really need to know there is standard Cyber Newtype stuff that shows up in Zeta, too.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

That's definitely not true. The only thing that's really connected to ZZ is Marida and all you really need to know there is standard Cyber Newtype stuff that shows up in Zeta, too.

Well, technically nothing is necessary to watch anything else, but I do think the backstory and motivations of one of the main characters in important enough to mention.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

Well, technically nothing is necessary to watch anything else, but I do think the backstory and motivations of one of the main characters in important enough to mention.

I watched Unicorn before ZZ, and I think Marida's story was pretty graspable without having seen ZZ.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Another good reason to not skip ZZ is that there are important things that start up in Zeta that aren't resolved until ZZ.

Like a lot of the Neo Zeon stuff, for one!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Like yeah you don't need to see ZZ to watch CCA, but ZZ carries over some character stuff from Zeta, and I think that's important too.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my reason for not skipping ZZ: it's goofy as heck

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

dogsicle posted:

my reason for not skipping ZZ: it's really good

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

my reason for not skipping ZZ: it's goofy as heck

Also this yeah. Unpurposed, I don't know what you've heard, but personally I think ZZ is fun and good, and worth watching for its own merits

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah ZZ is pretty good, though be warned it is not an anime unlike the other Gundam shows.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZZ is legit pretty funny. Tomino's comedy is pretty underrated, he's great at having characters just bounce off each other in amusing ways.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Srice posted:

ZZ is legit pretty funny. Tomino's comedy is pretty underrated, he's great at having characters just bounce off each other in amusing ways.

Yeah, Bright going 'gently caress it, I just don't care any more' after the Shangri-La kids invade his ship is hilarious. The Endra crew are great, too.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

literally

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zz is good and aside from the first span of episodes is probably more entertaining than zeta.

If you are watching stuff to have a better understanding of other stuff zz isnt needed for CCA, but it brings out lot of background stuff in Unicorn.

Strictly speaking zeta isnt very necessary for cca, but really plowing through stuff to get at other stuff is a dumb way to entertain yourself anyway, so watch things for what they are and take them for their own merits :>

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
CCA is more of a sequel to MSG than Zeta, much less ZZ.

The earth part of ZZ is one of my favorite parts of the UC shows.

Lanz
May 30, 2013
I just found out about the Refined Barzam and that may be one of my favorite suits now :ohdear:

"Okay yeah, grab me a Barzam's crotch, the leftover backpack and limbs of our MkII spares, slap 'em on a repainted Zeta torso and put on a modified Barzam Head."
"What about vulcans? Should we put them in the new head?"
"Nah slap on another of those MkII vulcan pods on there."

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I like it, but I still prefer the original Barzam just for being so odd looking. It makes it stand out more, where that one just looks like a modified Mk II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanz
May 30, 2013

tsob posted:

I like it, but I still prefer the original Barzam just for being so odd looking. It makes it stand out more, where that one just looks like a modified Mk II.

I can definitely see it's charm. Something about the original makes me think of the Dunbine; I'd say it's their silhouettes but side by side there's enough difference that I'm not quite sure what it is that's making me compare the two in my mind as similar:

the AoT version is nice too, a more modern look that doesn't compromise the original design: