Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Hey, yeah, why can't glorious XSEED get SRW and bring it over? :haw:

*knows exactly why besides for OG*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Supremezero posted:

I'd be happy with just that honestly. All Excellen all the loving time. Keep your Eva and Gundums. Atx and SrX teams GET poo poo DONE. :metal:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

While I liked TitS FC a lot and consider A Good Game, the combat system kind of felt barebones and leaving a fair amount to be desired. Also felt easy throughout, even with maintaining battle difficulty after losing I don't think I lost more than once to an encounter. Is SC better in that regard? I'm going to get it anyway, but it would make me happy if it had more complex combat.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

YF-23 posted:

While I liked TitS FC a lot and consider A Good Game, the combat system kind of felt barebones and leaving a fair amount to be desired. Also felt easy throughout, even with maintaining battle difficulty after losing I don't think I lost more than once to an encounter. Is SC better in that regard? I'm going to get it anyway, but it would make me happy if it had more complex combat.

Apparently it has a new system for chaining crafts (so you can have characters go one after another with their crafts, the later their go the more powerful the craft), and has rebalanced things a little so physical attackers are a bit better to use than they were in FC. Beyond that, no idea, hopefully someone who's played the game can chime in.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just based on random bits and clips I've seen of SC, it seems much harder, combat-wise.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Supremezero posted:

I assume the OG GBA games basically cratering is why nobody was willing to take a risk and at this point OGs is way too old to port. :smith:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

ImpAtom posted:

I assume the OG GBA games basically cratering is why nobody was willing to take a risk and at this point OGs is way too old to port. :smith:

OGs is, but 2nd OGs isn't.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

SpaceDrake posted:

It's a little hard to nail down the precise influence of the game on everything else - the hothouse of the 80s makes it hard to determine who influenced what, and of course few people will admit "yeah we just totally got inspired by that one thing and riffed on it" - but at the very least, there's long been a strong suspicion that the Zelda games were heavily influenced by Dragon Slayer in general, and Xanadu's side-scrolling dungeon navigation may have had a particular influence on Zelda 2 (although the combat is way different). Xanadu was just sort of generally influential, though, in proving that a game on the Japanese PCs of the time was a viable commercial endeavor - prior to Xanadu, there wasn't a ton of dedicated game development for those early PCs, but in the wake of Xanadu selling so well, a lot of the young game houses of the 80s, like Enix, Compile, HAL Laboratory, and whatnot, began to make serious efforts to produce software for PCs of various kinds in addition to efforts for the ever-selling Famicom. The PC-88 and -98 remained kind of their own unique beasts game-wise due to their hardware architecture, but the MSX saw a lot of cross-pollination with the FC/NES.

Unfortunately, NEC's poor management of their PC line in the 90s, the difficulties Microsoft had breaking in to the market as anything other than a pure business platform, and the advent of the Playstation in 1994 all pretty much doomed the momentum Falcom had kicked off in the 80s - but for a little while there, Xanadu helped to inspire a healthy PC game market in Japan, by dint of being a good dungeon-exploring RPG and selling well.

So to paraphrase: there was an internal competition for the PC market in Japan created in the 80s, and Xanadu was a progenitor for a particular niche in that market. Said niche went undervalued due to the failings of the PC market in the 90s in Japan.

Is that a good way to understand your post, in laconic terms?

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

SpaceDrake posted:

Xanadu is a Really Important Videogame, both for Falcom as a company and just historically (it was the first PC game to break 500k sales in Japan, IIRC, in 1985) but sadly it's just gotten no English versions and thus no play at all in the Anglosphere. I do wish someone would do a biopic or something of Falcom's history in the 80s, that poo poo is amazing and has a couple of gaming history's most important inflection points - I still wonder what the gently caress would've happened if Origin Systems published Xanadu in the States in 1985/6 like they'd planned to before that meeting went so sour.

The funny thing is that on PC-88 and PC-98, Xanadu was in English. Having played both the original and Revival Xanadus I and II, a lot of the game is perfectly playable even if you don't know a lick of japanese. Even prologue and epilogue scrolls are in engrish.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Did Trails in the Sky 3rd get any psp exclusive content like SC did?

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 28, 2015

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
From what I've heard, 3rd on PSP didn't receive *major* additions like additional characters to play around with, but received a lot of tiny little balance tweaks. Oh, and one "sidequest" that existed in the PC version was censored out on PSP.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Slur posted:

So to paraphrase: there was an internal competition for the PC market in Japan created in the 80s, and Xanadu was a progenitor for a particular niche in that market. Said niche went undervalued due to the failings of the PC market in the 90s in Japan.

Is that a good way to understand your post, in laconic terms?

That's a little simpler than it should be, but sure.

Erpy posted:

From what I've heard, 3rd on PSP didn't receive *major* additions like additional characters to play around with, but received a lot of tiny little balance tweaks. Oh, and one "sidequest" that existed in the PC version was censored out on PSP.

Largely correct.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Just based on random bits and clips I've seen of SC, it seems much harder, combat-wise.

There are some difficult parts, especially if you're unprepared (like the boss fight at the end of disk 1...), but most of that is in the first half of the game.
That's caused mainly by the increased mana cost of spells like earth wall and the AoE time spells and the fact that the shining poms are harder to find.

All bets are off in the endgame though.
You get huge amounts of mana, and there are some female only equipment pieces with +magic attack that turn Kloe into a murder machine.
The increased mana cost for earth wall doesn't even matter since they give you a character with an earth wall effect as an S-craft (that can take 2 hits at 200 CP).

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

oh yeah here's a 100% save for the PSP version

http://www.filedropper.com/ulus105400102

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably £25 here, I think DS2 Record Breaker is gonna have to wait.

Record Breaker is coming out now as well? Yikes, my backlog is going to be growing...

smenj posted:

Apparently it has a new system for chaining crafts (so you can have characters go one after another with their crafts, the later their go the more powerful the craft), and has rebalanced things a little so physical attackers are a bit better to use than they were in FC. Beyond that, no idea, hopefully someone who's played the game can chime in.

I think another RPG I played had that. Was it Golden Sun or am I misremembering?

Golden Sun was another great set of RPGs; though getting told in the second game that your actions in the first were misguided to say the least is a bit of a frustrating revelation.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Munin posted:

Record Breaker is coming out now as well? Yikes, my backlog is going to be growing...

I think another RPG I played had that. Was it Golden Sun or am I misremembering?

Golden Sun was another great set of RPGs; though getting told in the second game that your actions in the first were misguided to say the least is a bit of a frustrating revelation.

That wouldn't really make sense in Golden Sun's battle system. Tales of Xillia, probably?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Supremezero posted:

That wouldn't really make sense in Golden Sun's battle system. Tales of Xillia, probably?

I've only had a go at Eternia and Vesperia.

[edit] Anyway, 13 hours...

Munin fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 29, 2015

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
oh my god why does brandish have so many holes

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Looks great, guys. Nothing wrong here, nope.

(if you want to see this yourself just go to the Magic 3 tab in the bracer notebook of the Steam version of Trails FC.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, SC's definitely going to be on GoG, right? I only ask because they still don't have a page for it yet.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

So, SC's definitely going to be on GoG, right? I only ask because they still don't have a page for it yet.

yes

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
GOG page should go live tomorrow.

Also in a bit of slightly downer news: I somehow missed it at the time, and only learned today, that one of the architects of Trails in the Sky's soundtrack, including and especially "Silver Will", which serves as the overall musical theme for SC in many ways, passed away last year at the age of 39.

He was also the driving force behind Xanadu Next's soundtrack, Vantage Master Japan's OST, the OST for Legend of Heroes 5 ("Song of the Ocean"), and also made contributions to Ys 6 and Zwei!!. I'm sorta bummed that he didn't get to see a whole new audience come to appreciate his work. :(

So yeah, sappy as it sounds, when you hit that vocal cut of Silver Will in SC, take a moment to appreciate that the guy behind it died way younger than he should have.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SpaceDrake posted:

Also in a bit of slightly downer news: I somehow missed it at the time, and only learned today, that one of the architects of Trails in the Sky's soundtrack, including and especially "Silver Will", which serves as the overall musical theme for SC in many ways, passed away last year at the age of 39.

He was also the driving force behind Xanadu Next's soundtrack, Vantage Master Japan's OST, the OST for Legend of Heroes 5 ("Song of the Ocean"), and also made contributions to Ys 6 and Zwei!!. I'm sorta bummed that he didn't get to see a whole new audience come to appreciate his work. :(

So yeah, sappy as it sounds, when you hit that vocal cut of Silver Will in SC, take a moment to appreciate that the guy behind it died way younger than he should have.

Oh christ, that's awful. I have a lot of respect for his musical contributions to Falcom, I loving love Xanadu Next's OST and that vocal arrangement of Silver Will is one of my favorite songs in Falcom's whole massive pile. That guy was brilliant.

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

SpaceDrake posted:

What the actual gently caress. This sucks and I feel for his family, friends, and comrades.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Is money at a premium in Brandish? I'd like to know if it's okay for me to stop punching things to death with 7+ full durability swords in my inventory :tinfoil:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

not so much of a premium as to resort to using your fists ever

you also get unbreakable swords eventually, although always a few tiers below what the best around is.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

smenj posted:

You can't just chain arbitrary crafts, it works like this:

One character initiates it and selects one or more other characters in range (you can only select one character at the beginning, it goes up as your level increases).
The character that initiates the attack uses pays 20 CP, the next one pays 30, then 40 and 50.
Then the selected characters get do do a physical AoE-attack. The radius goes up as you add more people.
All involved characters get moved back in the turn order.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
From what I saw, I got the impression that all the attacks in a chain craft are part of the same turn, meaning it's a good way to milk damage-boosting turn bonuses.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Installing~

(did it come out a few minutes early or is it just me?)

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!
It's finally happening

Mahuum Aqoha
Jan 15, 2004

SHEPARD!
Do it for the universe!
Fun Shoe
I love TiTS, awww Ys!

I picked up the Ys games on steam cheaply a few months ago and I've been getting a kick out of them. Way better than Wanderers From Ys when I played that back when I was a kid.

Now I have to get a Vita and Memories of Celceta, because it looks great and also because one of my friends has the same name and hair color as one of the characters :tinfoil:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm installing Trails in the Sky SC. I almost don't believe it.

To everyone who was involved in making this happen, THANK YOU.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

drat... still at work for 6 more hours.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I'm digitally installing the magic to my PC as we speak

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Install complete!

It's time motherfuckers!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Come on EU PSP version...... :(

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
... it started raining.

And the camera started getting hit by raindrops.

Didn't this become a thing way after SC was originally released, I thought?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

AH

gently caress.

I just realized I didn't import my save!

How do I do that?

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The moment is upon us.

I hope you all enjoy the game, legitimately. It has been a long, long time coming. I'll be around the thread, obviously, if there are questions.

Supremezero posted:

... it started raining.

And the camera started getting hit by raindrops.

Didn't this become a thing way after SC was originally released, I thought?

That was in the original game. Falcom Wizardry is also a thing.

(Getting that effect to not screw up on modern graphics cards also took a bit of Sara Wizardry, tho)

Supremezero posted:

AH

gently caress.

I just realized I didn't import my save!

How do I do that?

On PC: open the configuration tool for Trails FC, and click "save folder". Make sure that the relevant save is in that folder.

If it is, SC will detect it automatically and ask you to import save data when starting a new game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Yeah, turned out I had moved my save data folder from FC around for some reason I forget :doh:

Thanks!