Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
Pupdive, without subtracting anything from the other posters in the thread, you're always a goldmine of information.
Unfortunately what you said doesn't change in Europe, and when you talked about married couples over 30, I remembered that the diving center in Croatia where I went in August was run by a German couple.
A good friend of mine also wanted to quit his job to become a professional instructor but everyone told him that it's nearly impossible to make a living.

At my diving club, for instance, all the instructors have another job and just teach diving driven by pure passion. My instructor was the wife of the club's president and a tiny girl that is famous for not consuming air, at all.
This was important when I just started diving: I had recently quit smoking and to keep my weight in check, I went running often. This, in turn, developed a soreness in my knees so that, when swimming with fins, the pain made me do a "bicycle kick". Needless to say I sucked air out of the tank like there was no tomorrow. I even managed once to nearly empty a 18 liter steel tank, which was heavy as gently caress, while my buddies consumed little more than half of a 15 liters.
When my knees stopped aching and I put more thought in my fin strokes, the air consumption dropped by more than half. Of course, it was also thanks to a better feeling underwater and the constant reduction of lead I carried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Ropes4u posted:

The way I see it my wife and I have a few choices for purchasing regulators.

1) Atomic B2 and an Octo-Z - safe enough for a reef bitch (us for now). Light and easy to manage but won't grow beyond nitrox if we go crazy.

2) Atomic M1 streamlined kit for DGE - can grow into this and safe enough for any diving we will ever do, never needs replacement.

3) Atomic Z2 Octo and Reg - cheapest option. No swivels or flex hoses which may bother my wife.

Option two appears to be the safest and longest lasting bet to me, and at 1100 each isn't out of reach but my dreams of a crazy computer would be tried up to a Geo 2 or something similar.

Are any of these a bad choice?

None of these are bad options. Honestly any of these options will be fantastic for a recreational diver. You can always add swivels and flex hoses later on if those are important to you. Honestly, I doubt you will notice a difference between the regs for most of the diving you will end up doing.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

ZoCrowes posted:

None of these are bad options. Honestly any of these options will be fantastic for a recreational diver. You can always add swivels and flex hoses later on if those are important to you. Honestly, I doubt you will notice a difference between the regs for most of the diving you will end up doing.

Seconding this, though why not go Atomic SS1 and match the rest of the Atomic for ease of service issues? (Although now that Atomic and Zeagle are under the same company, it may be the case that most dealers in one will become dealers in the other at least , I still now some Zeagle dealers that don't stock Atomic and vice versa.)

Also

The GEO 2 is not a fall-back choice at all. It's a wonderful computer.

GEO 2 is a decent enough watch (though it does not, annoyingly, show the date without pressing a button) that you can use it as your backup computer no matter what kind of diving easily because it will always been on your wrist on diving days anyway.

And it's a great computer in and of itself, with a sensible display (big enough for all but a few reading glass blind people, just small enough that wearing it like a watch does not make you look odd.) Oceanic in general makes smart, well thought-out computers. When they get the "form factor" right (like they did with the GEO 2, Atom, etc.) they really shine. And remain useful for whatever kind of diving you do down the line, even if you want to spend 4 grand on rebreather capable brains.

I am about to get one as the "always on the wrist backup" to go with my main strap-ons. (He said strap-on).

pupdive fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Oct 27, 2015

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
As a Geo 2 owner I must say I do love it. It's not some big bulky monstrosity and looks pretty slick.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

pupdive posted:

Seconding this, though why not go Atomic SS1 and match the rest of the Atomic for ease of service issues? (Although now that Atomic and Zeagle are under the same company, it may be the case that most dealers in one will become dealers in the other at least , I still now some Zeagle dealers that don't stock Atomic and vice versa.)

Also

The GEO 2 is not a fall-back choice at all. It's a wonderful computer.

GEO 2 is a decent enough watch (though it does not, annoyingly, show the date without pressing a button) that you can use it as your backup computer no matter what kind of diving easily because it will always been on your wrist on diving days anyway.

And it's a great computer in and of itself, with a sensible display (big enough for all but a few reading glass blind people, just small enough that wearing it like a watch does not make you look odd.) Oceanic in general makes smart, well thought-out computers. When they get the "form factor" right (like they did with the GEO 2, Atom, etc.) they really shine. And remain useful for whatever kind of diving you do down the line, even if you want to spend 4 grand on rebreather capable brains.

I am about to get one as the "always on the wrist backup" to go with my main strap-ons. (He said strap-on).

The only reason I was think about the Octo-z is that we both have Zeagle BCDs.

Thank you for the input.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
The SS1 and Zeagle Octo-Z screw on with the same as the Zeagle BX inflator (garden hose type fitting), that probably came with your Zeagle if you bought it in the last few years. If it matters there is a greater choice of colors in the SS1 than there is in the Octo-Z, and the inflator hose itself is all stainless in the SS1 which make difference in the real long term, since all chromed brass dies in the end. But that's something only a few people who never wash their gear, or live on a boat or right on the water have to think about.

Keep the screw off inflator part around even if you do with the alternate inflator type. Also if you are going with the Atomic SS1, make sure and keep the fiddley bits you are not using for now, around in case you ever switch BCDs. Though I don't really hear of anyone who starts with a Zeagle switching to another brand of BCD, TBH.

Your wife probably already knows this, but almost all Zeagle BCDs have a pretty nice array of ways to fit to a women's body with different size panel parts. Most dive gear designers are men and even the women's designs are all the latest rage, no one ever quite gets it as right as Zeagle always has with women from way, way back

It sounds like you are getting hooked up with some good gear, regardless.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
my wife has the lady hawk from scuba pro and loves it for whatever that's worth. She had to get kids BCDs when we first started out because no adult BCDs fit right.

it also travels well

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
also nobody cares about a flying gunard picture? what the hell

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

jackyl posted:

Those pictures were great and I'm legit sorry I didn't reply to say so

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

jackyl posted:

I've always wanted to see a flying gurnard in person and never have. Very cool.

Since we're posting pictures... :) Bonaire is beautiful! The profile is the same on just about every dive so it can be a bit repetitive, but it's still an absolutely gorgeous place underwater and there's lots to see. We did a couple of boat dives out to Klein Bonaire as well, but I thought the shore diving off of Bonaire itself was just as good, if not better.

You should be able to click on the images to see the full size ones.

Spotted Scorpionfish

Fairy Bassalet

Graysby getting cleaned by a Paderson shrimp

Creolefish with a parasitic isopod on its face

Longsnout seahorse

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 29, 2015

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

jackyl posted:

Those are ridiculously cool things to see, and you were lucky to see one, and I personally was all kinds of lucky to see your pictures of one. I had a pretty strong vivid reaction to seeing one after such a long time to the point that I apparently had a pretty cool dream about commenting about it.

I could have sworn I posted about how cool both the fish, and the picture were. In fact I remember clearly replying to it in detail because, in what must have been a dream, I wrote a post praising the shot you got of it (both flared wings and not flared), and how it brought a bunch of good memories of diving in the only place I have ever been able to see one. The flying gunard been gone for years now (as well as easy student access to the site) but I still get all excited by just remembering diving that site with students, and seeing the flying gunard, and remember vividly being able to show it to wide-eyed Open Water students who were always suitably amazed by it.

I also had some really good other personal stuff going on then, as always, and that picture brought it all back in a flash, because I remembered some of the people I used to teach with, who has been gone from my life almost as long as the flying gunard and diving that site with students have been. Those thoughts also came flooding back suddenly looking at the flying gunard.

I am dead serious about all that. There are some underwater things that affect me on a deep emotional level, because they are tied into such good places and times. And because I have been lucky enough to have been able to share my passion with both students (and co-workers who have been both good friends and Significant Others.)

(That post there is a bit of the explanation of why despite the sometimes poverty level wages and the other clear negative factors in being a full time dive instructor; it is still very much worth it for me.

I was all psyched today just from going over Knowledge Reviews(!) (those things at the end of each Open Water chapter) with an Open Water class (father and daughter team) that are going to have their minds blown by something that we will get to show them in the next couple of days. Who knows what it will be? Will they find the little transparent shrimp to be the coolest thing, or the fact that when they hit the water, they will be weightless, and can do lung powered pushups? Will it be mastering the breathing and nailing buoyancy, or just having the experience cleaner wrasse nibble around at them, and seeing Nemo in real life?

I am still laughing at how amped up I can get just helping students with their questions about the Open Water Manual, explaining rip currents, and way we start dives into currents and how we can use this to our advantage to have fun, as long as we know what we are doing.

I am such a big dive nerd. One would think at some point I'd get blase about it. But apparently I am never going to not be all excited to be able to introduce someone to this amazing sport.)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Since we're posting pictures... :) Bonaire is beautiful! The profile is the same on just about every dive so it can be a bit repetitive, but it's still an absolutely gorgeous place underwater and there's lots to see. We did a couple of boat dives out to Klein Bonaire as well, but I thought the shore diving off of Bonaire itself was just as good, if not better.

Spotted Scorpionfish

Fairy Bassalet

Longsnout seahorse

We are going to Bonaire for two weeks in January. We planned on a week of boat dives and a week of shore diving. In your opinion is there anything we should do or avoid?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

We are going to Bonaire for two weeks in January. We planned on a week of boat dives and a week of shore diving. In your opinion is there anything we should do or avoid?

It's common sense, but use the boat dives to do places that are more difficult or impossible to do by shore. The means Klein Bonaire, the east side of the island (if possible, I don't think many outfits go there and I wasn't able to) or the more inaccessible sites on the west side of Bonaire. The Hima Hooker, Bloodlet, and La Dania's leap are both a bit obnoxious to get to from shore, and I'm sure there are others; ask your boat crew.

The shore diving is very easy, and if I go back that's probably all I'll do. Karpata is one of the best sites in terms of large healthy reef, and the Salt Pier has enough structure that it is very different and I'd highly recommend going there (that's also the only place we saw a seahorse, for whatever that's worth). I'm disappointed I didn't do the Salt Pier at night while I had the chance.

When shore diving be sure to take everything with you, and leave your vehicle unlocked with the windows down. They do get broken into, it's not just something people say.

Also, the road by Kirpata becomes one way, so to get back South you need to either loop up through Rincon where the road is nicer, or take a super bumpy and occasionally steep dirt/gravel road that's a bit shorter as the crow flies, but sporty. Worth keeping that in mind when you're picking what order to do dive sites.

If you haven't picked a spot yet, I'd recommend looking for a location a bit north of the capital. We stayed about 5 minutes north and our drive times to both the northern and southern dive sites weren't bad at all. If you stay very far south, where I saw a fair number of houses, that would not be the case.

I've got to run to work but if you have any more questions (logistics, supermarkets, whatever) I can go a bit more in depth later.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

DeadlyMuffin posted:

It's common sense, but use the boat dives to do places that are more difficult or impossible to do by shore. The means Klein Bonaire, the east side of the island (if possible, I don't think many outfits go there and I wasn't able to) or the more inaccessible sites on the west side of Bonaire. The Hima Hooker, Bloodlet, and La Dania's leap are both a bit obnoxious to get to from shore, and I'm sure there are others; ask your boat crew.

The shore diving is very easy, and if I go back that's probably all I'll do. Karpata is one of the best sites in terms of large healthy reef, and the Salt Pier has enough structure that it is very different and I'd highly recommend going there (that's also the only place we saw a seahorse, for whatever that's worth). I'm disappointed I didn't do the Salt Pier at night while I had the chance.

When shore diving be sure to take everything with you, and leave your vehicle unlocked with the windows down. They do get broken into, it's not just something people say.

Also, the road by Kirpata becomes one way, so to get back South you need to either loop up through Rincon where the road is nicer, or take a super bumpy and occasionally steep dirt/gravel road that's a bit shorter as the crow flies, but sporty. Worth keeping that in mind when you're picking what order to do dive sites.

If you haven't picked a spot yet, I'd recommend looking for a location a bit north of the capital. We stayed about 5 minutes north and our drive times to both the northern and southern dive sites weren't bad at all. If you stay very far south, where I saw a fair number of houses, that would not be the case.

I've got to run to work but if you have any more questions (logistics, supermarkets, whatever) I can go a bit more in depth later.

Please post or PM me all you have...

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Spotted Scorpionfish

Fairy Bassalet

Longsnout seahorse

these are some good pics! My only seahorses were 1 when my gd battery died anout 10 minutes into the dive because I'm an idiot and didn't charge the batteries and 2 when I was finishing rescue and we went off to finish out tanks but I had no camera.

did you just do the truck thing with a bunch or tanks and randomly drive around? We were almost in Bonaire thanksgiving week but are doing Barbados now instead. Bonaire is way up on our list though, just curious how it works

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

pupdive posted:

Those are ridiculously cool things to see, and you were lucky to see one,

I have more pics including the ORFs of it and I know it was lucky. I'll post the ORFs for someone better at post processing than me (everyone) to play with if there is interest.

we also saw a batfish. Phone posting again but if you look up Aqua TCI and go through her posts you will see a video of the batfish.
that was a couple of days with just loving ridiculous diving, but that's how the TCI rolls. We did 5 days of two tank and one of 3 tank but the flying gunard and batfish were in a two day span

I have some pics of the batfish but they are all poo poo compared to that video

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ZoCrowes posted:

This guy sold my wife and I the bulk of what we're still diving. :)

E: including the lady hawk that she loves

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

jackyl posted:

I have more pics including the ORFs of it and I know it was lucky. I'll post the ORFs for someone better at post processing than me (everyone) to play with if there is interest.

What are you shooting with? I just got a housing for my Olympus mirrorless and I can't wait to dive with it, although I imagine the first attempts won't include many keepers. That scorpionfish was awesome!

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

SuitcasePimp posted:

What are you shooting with? I just got a housing for my Olympus mirrorless and I can't wait to dive with it, although I imagine the first attempts won't include many keepers. That scorpionfish was awesome!

The scorpionfish was one of mine :)

Canon S95 with a sea and sea ys-01 strobe and an Inon wet wide angle, which is usually off.

I've been looking at the Olympus mirrorless cameras but I can't bring myself to spend the money. I'm too paranoid about floods, since I had one, so I'm very gun shy. If I flood my s95 I'm only our $100.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

jackyl posted:

Did you just do the truck thing with a bunch or tanks and randomly drive around?

We drove around but had some idea of which sites to hit just from asking around and from friends who had been before.

The driving to easy shore diving all over was tons of fun! I'm one of those people who would happily dive 4-5 dives a day, but my friends were a bit more sane so we averaged 3/day. Like I said earlier, if I go back I'll probably only (or almost only) do shore dives.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SuitcasePimp posted:

scorpion fish is not me. I have a mirrorless epl 6 with the Olympus housing and a strobe. The strobe only made a difference in the crab and fire worm pictures I posted earlier. The others (including flying gunard) I wasn't deep enough or was too far away for the strobe to matter

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 30, 2015

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

jackyl posted:

This guy sold my wife and I the bulk of what we're still diving. :)

E: including the lady hawk that she loves

Haha going way back here! Glad you guys are still diving it.

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

pupdive posted:

I was going to vomit a pile of info, but I have to avoid personal info for a number of reasons though, so general stuff. It's all negative, I guess, looking back over it.

Dude... thank you for that, it is top tier info. While it may be semi-negative sounding, it was great perspective into something that I have so far only seen from the outside in 1 week intervals on vacation!

My wife and I are pushing 40 and looking to call it quits and simplify, moving somewhere where we can dive year round with a low cost of living (this is key). We were planning on doing it anyway but we discovered diving 4 years ago and at this point we're trying to incorporate it into the plan. Income is part of it, but I really want to spread the stoke and help people discover how amazing it is down there (and maybe even instill some respect for the ocean). We are hoping that we can make enough between the 2 of us to at least cover rent and utilities and/or basic food for the first 5 years or so, using our assets to supplement as necessary.

Many people have told me what a terrible idea this is: you'll get killed by a narco gang, get sick and die since you don't have access to THE BEST HEALTHCARE SYSTEM (lol), miss having all this great stuff, blah blah etc. The reality is we have had good careers, lived below our means, didn't have kids, and don't want to play in the rat race anymore. The biggest risk for me is the risk of working too long for more $ but being struck down and never getting to use it to its full potential, which is the purchase of our future time.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ZoCrowes posted:

Haha going way back here! Glad you guys are still diving it.

Yeah, it's all great except the Cobras are amazingly conservative.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

jackyl posted:

Yeah, it's all great except the Cobras are amazingly conservative.

Yeah that's kind of the nature of the beast with RGBM tables unfortunately. Much more conservative bottom times but a higher margin of safety.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SuitcasePimp posted:

Dude... thank you for that, it is top tier info. While it may be semi-negative sounding, it was great perspective into something that I have so far only seen from the outside in 1 week intervals on vacation!

My wife and I are pushing 40 and looking to call it quits and simplify, moving somewhere where we can dive year round with a low cost of living (this is key). We were planning on doing it anyway but we discovered diving 4 years ago and at this point we're trying to incorporate it into the plan. Income is part of it, but I really want to spread the stoke and help people discover how amazing it is down there (and maybe even instill some respect for the ocean). We are hoping that we can make enough between the 2 of us to at least cover rent and utilities and/or basic food for the first 5 years or so, using our assets to supplement as necessary.

Many people have told me what a terrible idea this is: you'll get killed by a narco gang, get sick and die since you don't have access to THE BEST HEALTHCARE SYSTEM (lol), miss having all this great stuff, blah blah etc. The reality is we have had good careers, lived below our means, didn't have kids, and don't want to play in the rat race anymore. The biggest risk for me is the risk of working too long for more $ but being struck down and never getting to use it to its full potential, which is the purchase of our future time.

holy poo poo are you me?

we have the exact same idea because gently caress corporate life once you have enough also the last pics I posted were from my 40th birthday week

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

ZoCrowes posted:

Yeah that's kind of the nature of the beast with RGBM tables unfortunately. Much more conservative bottom times but a higher margin of safety.

It's all good. We needed that then and since we basically only fly to dive it doesn't hurt. Are you back in the ville?

SuitcasePimp
Feb 27, 2005

jackyl posted:

scorpion fish is not me. I have a mirrorless epl 6 with the Olympus housing and a strobe. The strobe only made a difference in the crab and fire worm pictures I posted earlier. The others (including flying gunard) I wasn't deep enough or was too far away for the strobe to matter

Oh snap, I are dumb and mentally linked those 2 pic posts. I'm really inspired by your gurnard pics now... I don't have a strobe yet and won't have one before I dive. I have a epl5 (w/ kit lens) so I'm hoping to find some good shallow stuff to practice on for the first time out.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SuitcasePimp posted:

Oh snap, I are dumb and mentally linked those 2 pic posts. I'm really inspired by your gurnard pics now... I don't have a strobe yet and won't have one before I dive. I have a epl5 (w/ kit lens) so I'm hoping to find some good shallow stuff to practice on for the first time out.

the strobe is only important for close ups, at least as far as I can tell. If you look at the pics I posted its obvious which ones had the strobe since every other one (including the gunard) is a bit washed out

With the case for that you can still get a flash but the most important thing is to take ORF (Olympus RAW). Then you can take pics that look bad at first and make them look like my washed out pics if you have no skill at all

I'm assuming someone with skill could make those look better

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

jackyl posted:

the strobe is only important for close ups, at least as far as I can tell.

I respectfully disagree with this, here's an example:

This is a not particularly great wide angle shot, but you can see that the diver in the foreground (who was probably 15' away, so hardly a closeup) has enough flash to accurately depict skin tones, while the diver in the background looks quite a bit bluer. The challenges are getting enough strobe out there without backscatter, and avoiding completely blowing out anything between you and the target. It requires a relatively powerful flash and bit of practice though, but I've seen good flash pictures even of very large subjects, like mantas, that aren't closeups.

jackyl posted:

I'm assuming someone with skill could make those look better

If you'd like I could try and pull a bit more color information out of the RAW files for you.

edit: You can actually tell the difference in the color between his hands and his face (my strobe is on the left, so there's a bit more strobe light on the hands)

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 30, 2015

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

DeadlyMuffin posted:

This is a not particularly great wide angle shot, but you can see that the diver in the foreground (who was probably 15' away, so hardly a closeup) has enough flash to accurately depict skin tones, while the diver in the background looks quite a bit bluer. The challenges are getting enough strobe out there without backscatter, and avoiding completely blowing out anything between you and the target. It requires a relatively powerful flash and bit of practice though, but I've seen good flash pictures even of very large subjects, like mantas, that aren't closeups.

If you'd like I could try and pull a bit more color information out of the RAW files for you.

edit: You can actually tell the difference in the color between his hands and his face (my strobe is on the left, so there's a bit more strobe light on the hands)

huh

So apparently I need to work on my technique. I'm sure it isn't the strobes fault, this is what I have:
http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/ufl-1-underwater-strobe-replacement-accessories.html

I can't get shots like that from 15' away... Backscatter is one thing, but even in TCI where you get ridiculous visibility, I can't pull a shot like that off. You can see the difference in those shots and once I throw some RAWs up, you will see it even more so.

E: I know it says no cable required, but I do use the fiber cable so the camera dictates flash.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

DeadlyMuffin posted:

No way that diver is 15' away and that well lit. Most likely this is just shot with a wide lens. You are really only going to get good strobe coverage of subjects less than 10' feet away in good viz. Diffusion is going to take care of any light after that.

I shot this from about 10' away with a 10.5mm fish eye and you can see how little strobe coverage my subject got. And that is in about as clear of water as you can possibly get.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
i love fisheye pictures. I've been debating if my next lens is a fisheye or macro, but I'm pretty sure it has to be fisheye.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

ZoCrowes posted:

No way that diver is 15' away and that well lit. Most likely this is just shot with a wide lens. You are really only going to get good strobe coverage of subjects less than 10' feet away in good viz. Diffusion is going to take care of any light after that.

I shot this from about 10' away with a 10.5mm fish eye and you can see how little strobe coverage my subject got. And that is in about as clear of water as you can possibly get.

Man I wish I had a camera as nice as this.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

Trivia posted:

Man I wish I had a camera as nice as this.

It's about more than just the camera. It's about knowing your gear and how to get the shot you want. A DSLR just makes it a lot easier. And even then there are probably only 1 in 100 shots that I think are worth a drat.

I shot this with a cheap Olympus point and shoot with a wide angle lens rig that I made using an old Sea & Sea lens and adapter made from JB Weld and PVC.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/cFiReiv.jpg?1[/timg]

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
yeah, 1 in a 100 is about right, i have 936 files in that folder, but it was both turks and caicos trips this year, so probably just under 500 each

and i posted a few pics, there are maybe ten or twelve more that are good

underwater pictures are loving hard plus im not good at them, this makes for a bad combination

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

Maybe I was 10' away, but that isn't how I remember it. Could probably calculate it, but :effort:

What you're missing is the magic of white balancing. Here's my (crude, since I started with a jpg) crack at your picture:

The diver actually looks fine, but the foreground is a bit wonky. In my picture everything but the diver is background so I can just let it go blue.

For reference, here is the original unedited version of the picture I posted before, alongside the adjusted version.

ZoCrowes posted:

It's about more than just the camera.
Agreed. I hate it when people say "wow, what a nice picture, you must have an awesome camera!" Like I mentioned earlier, I'm taking pictures with a camera I paid $100 for, and my initial pics looked awful. My flash is actually much more expensive than my camera. It takes a lot of time and effort.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 31, 2015

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax

DeadlyMuffin posted:

Maybe I was 10' away, but that isn't how I remember it. Could probably calculate it, but :effort:

What you're missing is the magic of white balancing. Here's my (crude, since I started with a jpg) crack at your picture:

The diver actually looks fine, but the foreground is a bit wonky. In my picture everything but the diver is background so I can just let it go blue.

For reference, here is the original unedited version of the picture I posted before, alongside the adjusted version.

Agreed. I hate it when people say "wow, what a nice picture, you must have an awesome camera!" Like I mentioned earlier, I'm taking pictures with a camera I paid $100 for, and my initial pics looked awful. My flash is actually much more expensive than my camera. It takes a lot of time and effort.

You actually made a fairly common mistake when trying to white balance an underwater photo which is why the foreground is magenta. That's not how the she looked at that depth and range. While that may be closer to her actual skin tone at the surface it's not how she would have looked underwater at that range. Mine may be a bit cool and could be warmed up a bit but it's closer to the actual colors of that scene. This is why having a grey card comes in handy.

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012
Actual colors, diving, strobes lights, white balancing.... The ocean is 'blue'...

I remember this really cool long greenish black worm swimming around me at 80' one time. I went to show it to the customers I was diving with, and realized just before I actually managed to get them to take a close look at it that it was a fairly viscous stream of blood coming out from a hole in my finger where I had just taken a bite to the bone from an aggressive fish.

"Actual colors" are not something we see much in diving. It's all more kinda how we like to make things to look in post-production to match our sense of what colors things might be, or what we see in the light of with the color temperature of the strobe or flashlight we are using, or just however they appeal to us, or the viewing audience,in general.

Experience allows us to re-calibrate our brain to think we can see colors, but that takes a while, and we simply don't know what color most things are if we are unfamiliar with them. Which is why it is interesting to see how difference people tune the colors in the pictures in post to match what color they remember seeing in their mind when they saw the underwater stuff, which of course is all some shade of blue before our brain does the correction magic.

The cool new toys of all are the UV lights which seem to paint everything in new colors, even though those are just as "true" a color representation as we get when using a different underwater light or a strobe, just a different light source color temperature.

My favorite dives are night dives using only full moon lighting, and no artificial light. But trying to convince a person new to night diving to stop 'ruining' the dive by turning on their flashlight is a hard sell. I am both happy and sad night diving is no longer a required dive for the PADI Advanced class.

pupdive fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 31, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

ZoCrowes posted:

You actually made a fairly common mistake when trying to white balance an underwater photo which is why the foreground is magenta. That's not how the she looked at that depth and range. While that may be closer to her actual skin tone at the surface it's not how she would have looked underwater at that range. Mine may be a bit cool and could be warmed up a bit but it's closer to the actual colors of that scene. This is why having a grey card comes in handy.

A tank usually works OK as a grey card, if it's getting hit by the same light. That's what I used previously.

In this case I probably shouldn't have used the tank since it's shielded from your flash. I redid it using the BCD button as my grey.

My point though, is that even in your original picture there's enough flash there to pull out quite a bit more color information. "Flash is only for closeups" is not right at all.

pupdive posted:

Actual colors, diving, strobes lights, white balancing.... The ocean is 'blue'...

It's a balance. Your eye is not a CCD, and uncorrected camera images are way bluer than they actually appeared in person, especially shallow. I also dive with a flashlight 90% of the time because I like seeing the reds on various animals and because there are a lot of interesting things under overhangs. And because, frankly, at depth it's frequently quite dark where I dive most of the time.

pupdive posted:

The cool new toys of all are the UV lights which seem to paint everything in new colors, even though those are just as "true" a color representation as we get when using a different underwater light or a strobe, just a different light source color temperature.

Not quite: when you illuminate a subject using a white light you're seeing what it looks like under a different light source. When I paint a lot of coral with a UV light the light I see is actually what it is fluorescing. You're not seeing a UV image, you don't have the receptors for that.

pupdive posted:

My favorite dives are night dives using only full moon lighting, and no artificial light. But trying to convince a person new to night diving to stop 'ruining' the dive by turning on their flashlight is a hard sell.

Where I dive it's frequently dark enough during the day that a flashlight is just about mandatory. Even under an extremely bright moon it would be a non-starter in more than the most shallow water. Could be fun in the tropics, but I'd miss the ability to look into holes and under overhangs.

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 31, 2015