Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

top of his class in international security

top.

of.

his.

class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

OddObserver posted:

Didn't know Nicholas II had an English twin.

For some reason I saw that as "Nicolas Cage" and dug up the picture of him in the 1800 before I realized you meant the last Russian Monarch.

e: From Wikipedia:

quote:

Tsar Nicholas II of Russia with his physically similar cousin, King George V of the United Kingdom (right), in German military uniforms in Berlin before the war; 1913

Groogy fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Oct 29, 2015

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Another Person posted:

top of his class in international security

top.

of.

his.

class.

A Russian/Serbian class?

In any case that is what happens when you set terrible precedents like Kosovo.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

OddObserver posted:

Didn't know Nicholas II had an English twin.

There are stories from the Russian archives of Nicholas and George apparently pranking their staff by dressing up as each other.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Paradox just announced buying White Wolf from CCP.

Next expansions for CK2 to include Werewolves and Vampires?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

canepazzo posted:

skeleton invasion dlc confirmed

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Another Person posted:

skeleton invasion dlc confirmed

The level of betrayal I felt when Paradox announced their new DLC tore something from me that I'll never be able to recover. They tore away the skin off my body, and they tore away my ability to feel human as I took up arms to fight in the Skeleton War.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
A Paradox-published followup to Vampire:the Masquerade Bloodlines would be so loving amazing you guys you don't even know

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

publish an obsidian-developed sequel to vtmb right loving now

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

canepazzo posted:

Holy poo poo I thought you were joking

quote:

Games developer Paradox Interactive buying role playing game company White Wolf Publishing in a multi-million business . "This is our largest investment to date ," says CEO Fredrik Wester. The acquisition is a cash transaction in which Paradox Interactive adds " several tens of million " on the table . The seller is the Icelandic Group, CCP Games , the company behind the multiplayer game EVE Online .

"This is fantastic fun and a great relief that we can pay 100 percent of Paradox own cash ," said Fredrik Wester.

With 200 employees , a more extensive game catalog and three million registered users count Paradox now among Sweden's major game developers.

White Wolf Publishing owns the rights to some of the world's biggest role play, including the World of Darkness and Vampire: The Masquerade . There are brands that spawned books, board games , card games and computer games on multiple platforms, and stood as a model for the TV series .

"Vampire is the world's second best-selling role-playing and is special because half of all players are women ," said Fredrik Wester.
He expects the acquisition in the short term can increase Paradox turnover with a couple of million. White Wolf has annual sales, according to Fredrik Wester, in the day 4-5 million a year.

Paradox Interactive has recently had substantial tailwind thanks to the success of the game Cities: Skylines. Already at half year sales doubled compared to all of last year's figures. Much speaks for Paradox reaching over 500 million in sales this year.

"There will probably be a pretty good bit north of half a billion," said Fredrik Wester.

Paradox Interactive has in the past ten years has grown steadily. In the back, the company investment company stall and then just over a year even financier Peter Lindell, principal owner of the venture capital firm Rite Internet Ventures who entered with 28 million.

First, in 2017 it may be necessary to release new games based on any of the White Wolf's brands.

"It's a bet we do, but we see great potential in making these brands broader and introduce them to more players."

Paradox plan and to develop a number of own PC games, and is also actively seeking licensing partners for some titles. Fredrik Wester exclude nor that they will give out mobile games based on the newly acquired titles.

But the marks of this kind are sensitive matter. Players are extremely dedicated and discerning. In order to maintain close contact with the fans do Paradox because White Wolf for an independent subsidiary. President becomes Tobias Sjögren, Paradox Interactive's former sales director, who has worked on the Dice.

He will be the base of a kind of licensed companies like Saltkråkan AB, which owns and manages the rights to Astrid Lindgren's book cat. The new company will be sharing facilities with Paradox Interactive on Södermalm in Stockholm.

"We start with two employees but expects two years that there will be a dozen people. It is not impossible either that we are opening an office in Los Angeles to White Wolf ", said Fredrik Wester.

He sees no danger in the trend of books, movies and television series about vampires peaked among teenagers.

"I absolutely believe that it will come to life again. Even if it could be done, there is a strong nostalgivåg to ride on. Those who played these games in their teens are 25-40 years now and will want to do it again. "

Previously, Paradox Interactive has become known for historically inspired and role-playing tendencies, strategy game Crusader Kings and Magicka. Last summer it was revealed that the studio is heading into space with the upcoming game Stellaris. The work is led by the renowned game designer Henrik Fåhreus.

Fredrik Wester is secretive about whether Paradox Interactive, with the acquisition of the White Wolf, now approaching an IPO. There is something both big stall owner and investor Peter Lindell previously announced.

"We must ensure that the portfolio is growing but at the same time have long term financial stability. There are several different ways to go, "said Fredrik Wester.

Paradox AND Obsidian working on White Wolf properties. I feel like someone combined peanut butter and chocolate for the first time.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Looking forward to the Exalted expansion for CK2.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

And still people will complain about the maps in Vampire books :)

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

BBJoey posted:

publish an obsidian-developed sequel to vtmb right loving now

!!!

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Is that google translated from Swedish or anything like that? Because the grammar is rooooough.

Great to see things on the upswing though. I only started playing Paradox games 2 years ago, and now there are two of them on my list of favourite games of all time. Good to see a place I like doing well.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Another Person posted:

Is that google translated from Swedish or anything like that? Because the grammar is rooooough.

I think so. I got it from the World of Darkness thread in Trad. Games. Funny thing is that I asked just yesterday why Onyx Path hadn't bought back the name White Wolf yet.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

canepazzo posted:

:swoon: CK2 in modern citites with vampires is extremely my poo poo.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

quote:

Fredrik Wester is secretive about whether Paradox Interactive, with the acquisition of the White Wolf, now approaching an IPO. There is something both big stall owner and investor Peter Lindell previously announced.

Paradox goes public. Bought by some giant publisher. Everything turns to poo poo. :negative:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pershing posted:

:worship:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Why is there a CK2 hip flask?

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

Why is there a CK2 hip flask?

because why not? it is your official "not getting poisoned at the banquet" liquor supply

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Oberleutnant posted:

:swoon: CK2 in modern citites with vampires is extremely my poo poo.
This is why East vs. West was cancelled.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Another Person posted:

because why not? it is your official "not getting poisoned at the banquet" liquor supply

You have already ordered one, haven't you?

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits

Another Person posted:

Great to see things on the upswing though. I only started playing Paradox games 2 years ago, and now there are two of them on my list of favourite games of all time. Good to see a place I like doing well.

Yeah, seems like someone google translated this article http://digital.di.se/artikel/paradox-koper-rollspelsjatte
There's a bunch of direct and faulty translations in there but the important bits are translated well enough.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

Paradox goes public. Bought by some giant publisher. Everything turns to poo poo. :negative:

Great, now I'm depressed :smith:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Kavak posted:

Great, now I'm depressed :smith:

It's like you're watching Fred Wester in a horror movie, and he's like "Hurr, let's split up guys. We can cover more ground that way." :downs:

And you're shouting at the screen and throwing popcorn because it's such a stupid idea.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Not if I can buy Paradox first :colbert:

As for the "White male only"crowd in Stellaris, if we can't play Elerian/Meltrandi and go maximum matriarchy I'll be very disappointed.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Countdown to buyable monacles for your CK2 character.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Fintilgin posted:

It's like you're watching Fred Wester in a horror movie, and he's like "Hurr, let's split up guys. We can cover more ground that way." :downs:

And you're shouting at the screen and throwing popcorn because it's such a stupid idea.

Except the guy who splits up gets many millions of dollars dumped in his lap and retires a year later.

Pimpmust posted:

As for the "White male only"crowd in Stellaris, if we can't play Elerian/Meltrandi and go maximum matriarchy I'll be very disappointed.

I suspect most of them are fine with the idea of scantily clad blue/green/whatever all female species being represented.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
CK 3 having broken DRM would finally kill video games for me :smithicide:

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

waitwhatno posted:

You have already ordered one, haven't you?

i can't afford one because of all the great DLC I can buy for Paradox games

also I secretly want to be poisoned at the banquet. just think of the conspiracy!

I would go for a CK2 mousemat though, if I had a penny to spare.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Pershing posted:

Came here to post this.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Having just re-read most of the HoI4 dev diaries I wondered if they've said anything about whether the name of your division templates will influence the name generated for the divisions you build. Say you name a template "Colonial Infantry Division", will it then name divisions you produce of that template names like "3rd Colonial Infantry Division" and so on, rather than just looking at the type and deciding whether it is infantry, armored, cavalry, etc?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Having just re-read most of the HoI4 dev diaries I wondered if they've said anything about whether the name of your division templates will influence the name generated for the divisions you build. Say you name a template "Colonial Infantry Division", will it then name divisions you produce of that template names like "3rd Colonial Infantry Division" and so on, rather than just looking at the type and deciding whether it is infantry, armored, cavalry, etc?

If they implement this I look forward to the game auto-naming the 3rd Butts Division and 41st Dongs Division and 900th Clean Wehrmacht Division.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yeah, it'd be great.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

I suspect most of them are fine with the idea of scantily clad blue/green/whatever all female species being represented.

Only if we can have our all-male scantily clad equivalents.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Westminster System posted:

Only if we can have our all-male scantily clad equivalents.

blue space babe/hunk should be a preset species. fanatic xenophile.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

canepazzo posted:

Very excited for this. Especially with Paradox's relationship to Obsidian.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

quote:

Obsidian ‏@Obsidian 1h1 hour ago
So it seems like something was bought by @PdxInteractive and people want us to look into making a game? Hmmm...
That was quick. I could see this actually being the main impetus behind the deal. Pillars of Eternity did really well considering it's a new IP and a niche genre.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 29, 2015

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

a CK-2 style legacy game built around the Vampire the Masquerade story would actually be really good, if incredibly niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Now that the IPs are under the same company there'dpresumably be no legal obstacles to modding though.