Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Played the quest "Of Dairy and Darkness" again. Seems like a missed opportunity not to include a cheese golem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Does anyone notice/care if you (DLC) romance Shani? That is, is she more like the people Geralt can sleep with that nobody cares about, or more Triss/Yen?

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I think also that your level has something to do with selling prices at vendors. A bar of dimeritium only netted me like 130 max at one point from the armor merchant in novigrad square (and much less from other vendors around velen/white orchard. Then suddenly it was 358. Either quests or getting to around level 12+ did it. Selling prices for spare crafting items jump by quite a bit after a while, which allows you to come into quite a bit of cash when you have 6 dimeritium bars you will never use until end game, when you will have more than that.

Moral is: Early-ish game and you need a bit of cash? Sell a bit of your crafting poo poo. DO NOT SELL NEKKER HEARTS! Things like.. diamond dust and the such are also somewhat safe (Just don't sell your emerald dust in white orchard).

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Selling to the right vendor can also really get you more money, too. Swords to swordsmiths, armor to armorsmiths, furs to innkeepers (iirc) etc.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ravenfood posted:

Does anyone notice/care if you (DLC) romance Shani? That is, is she more like the people Geralt can sleep with that nobody cares about, or more Triss/Yen?

The former.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Kopijeger posted:

Played the quest "Of Dairy and Darkness" again. Seems like a missed opportunity not to include a cheese golem.

Geralt never actually tells Vesemir about the cheese maze. It could have been the new zeugl story.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Why wouldn't you romance yen she's a babe

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Hey Comte what is Shani's accent? I can't place it.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Still at level 2, I killed a level 6 bear by fast attacking it in the face 60 times in a row. Great game so far.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Bob NewSCART posted:

Why wouldn't you romance yen she's a babe

Because Brunettes are boring and Redheads have more fun

Also Yen is a hoity toity bitch

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way to forcibly trigger some quests? My game is bugged, the wolf school maps aren't showing up in the inventories of the vendors who are supposed to sell them.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Jack of Hearts posted:

Is there a way to forcibly trigger some quests? My game is bugged, the wolf school maps aren't showing up in the inventories of the vendors who are supposed to sell them.

Go find a piece and see if that works?

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Apparently Berengar's Blade quest won't work if you've already looted the recipe. :(

edit: where can I find superior oil diagrams for:

Cursed Oil
Elementia Oil
Relict Oil
Insectoid Oil
Draconid Oil

and bombs:

Samum
Devil's Puffball
Northern Wind

I also wish the beers would stack better...

The head druid on Skellege and the herbalist outside of Oxenfort are your best bets for recipes you've missed. From what I can tell, their inventory does increase as you level up/progress further in the plot.

All that said, I never did find the Troll decoration formula, and I did finally get a troll mutagen. :(

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

The Sharmat posted:

Hey Comte what is Shani's accent? I can't place it.

Weird.

The actress is either a brit who lived in the US for a long time, or an american living in britain for a long time, I forget which, but I don't think it's her normal accent anyway. The director told me that he had her specifically use a "hard to place" accent. So, mission accomplished, I guess.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
What was the reasoning behind that?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

The Sharmat posted:

What was the reasoning behind that?

I don't really remember, but I'll make a couple of guesses.

1) Shani is from Redania, but she's spent a lot of time at university, and then travelling extensively, so she's adopted this more cosmopolitan accent.
2) We didn't use the original actress and this actress was doing an impression of her.

#1 sounds much better, so let's say that's "canon"*

*this is one reason (of many) why canon is bullshit

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I wasn't saying the accent was bad or anything, it was just weird and I was curious.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The game is on sale as a part of Steam's Halloween sale.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

The Sharmat posted:

How about the ritual exile from Skellige and constantly getting poo poo from everyone? And is it really arrogance when you genuinely do know better ? She's really blunt and smart assed more than arrogant, I'd say.

Yennefer has leverage on Emhyr through Ciri.

Edit: But yeah I agree a lot of the political stuff in the last act of the game feels really rushed and poorly explained compared to everything else

It's the only time she cares about the consequences, I mean.

She's definitely more capable than almost all the cast but she's still arrogant as hell.
And I don't think she really has any leverage once the game is over. I'd think even Yen would hesitate to question/threaten Emhyr at that point.

Does Shani's accent disappear and reappear or am I just terrible at placing it?

Also why does dimeritium do nothing against the oferi mage at the beginning? I just tried bombing the hell out of him but he still used all the sand attacks while standing in the cloud.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Dimeritium bombs don't work on the Caretaker's spell casting abilities either. I guess the devs "turn them off" when it's inconvenient for gameplay which is actually a shame considering how much care was put into some possible magical interactions. Foe example Aard extinguishes enemies that are on fire from Igni, the Caretaker has a special spell to disable Yrden rings etc. but bombs are like "haha they should totally work but that would make the fight easier so we arbitrarily disabled them :downs:".

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I think the Northern Wind bomb works on the Caretaker.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

Spite posted:

She's definitely more capable than almost all the cast but she's still arrogant as hell.
And I don't think she really has any leverage once the game is over. I'd think even Yen would hesitate to question/threaten Emhyr at that point.
It's not being arrogant if you're correct though. As to Emhyr, maybe she was just pissed and thought better of it later? She does that. I dunno, a lot of the behind the scenes political stuff just kind of falls apart in the very end game.

Spite posted:

Does Shani's accent disappear and reappear or am I just terrible at placing it?
It's consistent, it's just very strange. She always pronounces things the same way.

Spite posted:

Also why does dimeritium do nothing against the oferi mage at the beginning? I just tried bombing the hell out of him but he still used all the sand attacks while standing in the cloud.
Feels like an oversight.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Any ideas why I can't download the 1.11 patch on PS4 despite having close to 100GB of free space? Game is patched to 1.10.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Dimeritium bombs are kind of worthless. They either don't work at all or the enemy just walks a few steps away from the cloud.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

WrightOfWay posted:

Dimeritium bombs are kind of worthless. They either don't work at all or the enemy just walks a few steps away from the cloud.

I haven't done this myself, but they totally neutralize the Djinn since magic is all it's got.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It doesn't totally neutralize it but it does remove its worst attacks and make the fight much easier.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Restarted my death march game since I hadn't played it for awhile and the quality of life improvements like the two extra potion slots and oils being sorted to the top of the inventory instead of the bottom have made the run much smoother.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
So uhh...

During the first phase of the Griffin fight, I shot it out of the sky with the crossbow and it fell into the river and drowned instantly. Since you're supposed to take a trophy from the corpse after it flies over next to the windmill, this makes it so the quest can't be completed since the body just ragdolled in the water and eventually disappeared without any possible action prompt.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

So uhh...

During the first phase of the Griffin fight, I shot it out of the sky with the crossbow and it fell into the river and drowned instantly. Since you're supposed to take a trophy from the corpse after it flies over next to the windmill, this makes it so the quest can't be completed since the body just ragdolled in the water and eventually disappeared without any possible action prompt.

you win! your prize is 90 hours of free time

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
He's right. You have beaten this game as thoroughly as it can be beaten.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Ciri'll figure things out on her own, I'm sure.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Letho gets roped into doing everything Geralt would have done instead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't want to spoiler myself too much before i go back and do 2 after i'm done 3, but does Ciri show up in that? The way the game introduces her you should be at least aware of her relationship to Geralt when you start.

I also like how when you visit the Witch, her model is fully rendered the same as when she's in the bath or when she's dressed. You can totally see her nipples. I also like how you can get into Novigrad just by going around the island its on and coming in through the back gate.

EDIT: I just realized I wrote with not to in regards to Ciri and Geralt. I know he's a dog, but I doubt he'd go that far.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 30, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
Ciri is referred to a few times but she never actually appears in the games until the third one.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Sharmat posted:

Ciri is referred to a few times but she never actually appears in the games until the third one.

Ah okay. There's some other stuff, like the aforementioned Witch I assume is explained in 2.

Oh why does Ciri and Geralt have the same colouring? I figured this was because they were related or from the same racial background, but obviously not considering the Emperor doesn't have pale skin and white hair.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
She has a father daughter relationship with Geralt and that's how I read your post.

twistedmentat posted:

Ah okay. There's some other stuff, like the aforementioned Witch I assume is explained in 2.
Keira is also merely mentioned until TW3. Pretty much all of her history with Geralt is from the books. CDPR really didn't shy away from the fact that they're making a sequel instead of a stand-alone entry.

twistedmentat posted:

Oh why does Ciri and Geralt have the same colouring? I figured this was because they were related or from the same racial background, but obviously not considering the Emperor doesn't have pale skin and white hair.

Her mother and grandmother both had that coloring, though. Elven genes in the mix. They sometimes have unusual hair or eye colors by human standards. Though honestly Ciri's hair is too pale in the game. It's supposed to be more grey than white.

EDIT: Oh and Geralt looks like that for a completely different reason. The white hair and pale skin is a unique mutation side effect. He was unusually tolerant of the mutagens so the mages running the process at the Wolf School tried some extra stuff on him.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 30, 2015

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed Shani's accent. Her Os sound American but her Es sound British (to me). Think it has a nice effect though, getting across the sense of being widely traveled.

Also finally finished the drat game and HoS, an exhausting/amazing time

Ended up with Triss as I never went for the whole gotta bone 'em all thing and it seemed the most consistent across all three games. I'm glad I played after they added in the extra scenes because it voiced a lot of reasons behind that choice.

Mostly though I was trying to play as cool dad, and from what I can tell I made a few wrong choices but overall it was positive enough to get the Witcher ending for Ciri. I thought the dynamic between them was fantastic.

As for the White Frost thing annoying a lot of people, I didn't really mind it. It might contrdict the books but it didn't come out of nowhere for me, and I actually really liked the imagery. The first thing that came to mind with the bright light was something like an ancient nuclear accident, some colossal mistake made by a long-dead civilization that couldn't be stopped and was slowly destroying everything. Its not malicious, it's just a dangerous reaction and Ciri's blood is the only known way to neutralize it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Sharmat posted:

She has a father daughter relationship with Geralt and that's how I read your post.

Keira is also merely mentioned until TW3. Pretty much all of her history with Geralt is from the books. CDPR really didn't shy away from the fact that they're making a sequel instead of a stand-alone entry.

Her mother and grandmother both had that coloring, though. Elven genes in the mix. They sometimes have unusual hair or eye colors by human standards. Though honestly Ciri's hair is too pale in the game. It's supposed to be more grey than white.

EDIT: Oh and Geralt looks like that for a completely different reason. The white hair and pale skin is a unique mutation side effect. He was unusually tolerant of the mutagens so the mages running the process at the Wolf School tried some extra stuff on him.

Ah that explains it. I've been wondering that since 1. So I was right in assuming it was part of his mutation, but one that was unique to Geralt. It's a little weird to have two characters in the game that look really similar that you would automatically assume there was a family connection.

I bet its even more confusing because Witcher 3 is a big hit, so its probably a fair number of peoples first game.

Oh I got the Hanged Man oil that was mentioned to be really good recently. Oils last until you replace them I assume as there's no countdown and the oil didn't vanished from my inventory?

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Oct 30, 2015

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

twistedmentat posted:

It's a little weird to have two characters in the game that look really similar that you would automatically assume there was a family connection.

I'm 99.9% sure this is not an accident and they deliberately designed them to look similar in this way despite them not being related for the purpose of evoking the spiritual familial bond. Sapkowski did the same thing too from what I remember, with Ciri's appearance and personality basically being a mixture of Geralt's and Yennefer's.

Edit:Oils last for a certain number of hits rather than for a time limit like potions. You can check how many charges are left by looking at your weapon in the inventory screen. There is an alchemy tree skill that makes them permanent, though. And yes, oils are infinitely reusable like potions.

Incidentally it's not canon or anything but I always liked to imagine Letho being loving huge is also a weird unique mutation side effect like Geralt's partial albinism.

The Sharmat fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Oct 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That's pretty cool. I want to learn more about Witcher's lore because while still being a faux european setting with elves and dwarves and magic, it still feels unique. Plus I love the fact everyone is in early Renaissance clothing. I love Slash and Puff clothing. It's so silly and hard to look tough in, but it works.

Something else i keep mentioning that I have a great amount of love for is the fact they have horse combat. The only other game i've come across with it is Mount and Blade, but that was pretty awkward, while this I find pretty easy to do. Also pretty satisfying to ride by some guy and cut his face in half.