Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

This union between Paradox and Obsidian is probably one of the best thing that happened in recent times.

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The next company Paradox will buy is Kerberos so they can proudly bring you Sword of the Stars 3 :hellyeah:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Rakthar posted:

The next company Paradox will buy is Kerberos so they can proudly bring you Sword of the Stars 3 :hellyeah:

Mecron will take that IP to his grave purely out of spite.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Seems kind of out of left field for Paradox to buy White Wolf, but I guess they have plans for it. An obsidian developed/Paradox produced sequel to bloodlines would absolutely be great. Although if it was nWOD it wouldn't have Malkavians which were the best part of that game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Counterpoint: WoD is bad and Bloodlines was good in spite of the license

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hate to ruin the party but making a game with a licensed publisher owned IP goes against everything Obsidian has said they were focusing on in the near future.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

zedprime posted:

Hate to ruin the party but making a game with a licensed publisher owned IP goes against everything Obsidian has said they were focusing on in the near future.

Paradox and Obsidian to merge! Immediately go public and get bought out by EA.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Demiurge4 posted:

Paradox and Obsidian to merge! Immediately go public and get bought out by EA.
:suicide:

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
We are all nervously joking about an EA take over as if it's not possible. There is a price to everything.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Obsidian is mercenary enough to do something like Bloodlines 2 if they got a big enough bag of cash (or had no other offers).

It's not like they are wealthy enough to do whatever they feel like.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Mecron will take that IP to his grave purely out of spiteas the only selfless thing he's ever done.

Sorry, but much as I loved SotS, the sequel was appalling.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

StashAugustine posted:

Counterpoint: WoD is bad and Bloodlines was good in spite of the license

That's true of every licensed Obsidian game.

zedprime posted:

I still remember when Bioware became an independent developer specifically to avoid licensed stuff. Within two years they were bought by EA and working on The Old Republic.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Dibujante posted:

Sorry, but much as I loved SotS, the sequel was appalling.

Yeah the game sucked but the underlying universe and lore is still incredible and stands against all reason. Space Dolphins are unironically cool.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Yeah the game sucked but the underlying universe and lore is still incredible and stands against all reason. Space Dolphins are unironically cool.

Its loss impoverishes us all. When will we see justice, Mecron?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CCP bought White Wolf years ago when they were riding high on Iceland bubble money and proceeded to spend several years building a new 3D engine for both a new RPG. Said engine was never completed and the only result was being able to walk around in one room in Eve Online. This was so poorly made that it literally overheated and killed certain models of ATI video cards. They spent so much money and resources on it that they nearly went bankrupt and had to add a useless microtransaction store that sold monocles for $75. This combined with questionable design decisions tanked Eve subscriptions and they just recently regained all the goodwill they lost.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

CCP bought White Wolf years ago when they were riding high on Iceland bubble money and proceeded to spend several years building a new 3D engine for both a new RPG. Said engine was never completed and the only result was being able to walk around in one room in Eve Online. This was so poorly made that it literally overheated and killed certain models of ATI video cards. They spent so much money and resources on it that they nearly went bankrupt and had to add a useless microtransaction store that sold monocles for $75. This combined with questionable design decisions tanked Eve subscriptions and they just recently regained all the goodwill they lost.

congratulations paradox

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
since paradox is in the business of buying beloved ips right now, can you please buy crash bandicoot for me and save him from activision?

im sure you will come up with a way to make a crash bandicoot strategy game

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Another Person posted:

since paradox is in the business of buying beloved ips right now

Pls paradox by the Jagged Alliance ip and and give us the proper not-bad sequel we have been waiting for since 98

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Elias_Maluco posted:

Pls paradox by the Jagged Alliance ip and and give us the proper not-bad sequel we have been waiting for since 98

buy battletech and make a crusader kings battletech game

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Buy emperor of the fading suns and make a good space game.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

AND A PONY TIGER TANK

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If that article is right and Paradox really had 500 million in sales this year, they could probably just flat out fund an Obsidian Vampire RPG, and not even bother with kickstarter.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What plans do Paradox have for White Wolf's properties? I thought they canned that Rune-something RPG they were trying to make because it wasn't shaping up to be much good.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Gort posted:

What the hell are Paradox going to do with White Wolf's properties? This sounds like it could be kind of terrible.

Bloodlines 2 by Obsidian is, on its own, probably enough to justify a couple million dollars for the entire IP warehouse.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Fading Suns is legit the greatest option for a grand space RPG/strategy game. I bet it's cheap too and Obsidian would have a field day with it.

Daeren posted:

Bloodlines 2 by Obsidian is, on its own, probably enough to justify a couple million dollars for the entire IP warehouse.

It'll also be something else for them to do besides a Fallout 4 expansion.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Oct 29, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

It'll also be something else for them to do besides a Fallout 4 expansion.

Fallout 4: Newer Vegas would be my 2016 GOTY.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Baronjutter posted:

do this. that game owned bones, and i was so happy when i rediscovered the title. i still play occasionally bc there's nothing even remotely like it afaik

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Daeren posted:

Yep. I've never been into World of Darkness particularly, but a polished cool Bloodlines 2 would be fantastic. It was great to have a modern day RPG, and I think it's something Obsidian has expressed interest in before.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Paradox needs to get a hold of Star Wars: Rebellion and remake it, but better.

Has there been any info about South America in HoI4 yet? Really interested to see if they'll make the Ecuadorian-Peruvian War actually work, rather than never trigger, ever.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Paradox needs to get a hold of Star Wars: Rebellion and remake it, but better.

Hell, this isn't an impossible dream given that Disney are ramping up the merchandising on the Star Wars IP from all directions.

Paradox Devs, if at any point in an internal meeting Fredrik utters the words "We're going to make an MMO" you have to tackle him to the ground. Not a little tackle either, a full blown diving-across-the-table tackle. Don't make an MMO.

I know you've been all sensible lately but it seems like there's a point in every medium sized developer's life where the boss says "We should take a risk and try to get in on that sweet sweet MMO money" and that's a dream that ends 9 years later on a pile of shattered hopes and foreclosed mortgages with your work being sold for pennies to the dollar overseas to someone who's going to look at it, laugh at how terrible it is, then ditch the lot.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
But what if it was a vampire mmo...

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Alchenar posted:

Hell, this isn't an impossible dream given that Disney are ramping up the merchandising on the Star Wars IP from all directions.

Not a chance.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Oh I'd forgotten that :(

Yeah anything remotely RPG looking is going to Bioware, EA's strategy wing has basically fizzled and died with Generals 2 but I can't really see them being receptive to the hassle of sub-contracting the IP for a strategy game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Welp. Guess I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight, thanks.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Fintilgin posted:

If that article is right and Paradox really had 500 million in sales this year, they could probably just flat out fund an Obsidian Vampire RPG, and not even bother with kickstarter.

500 million Swedish Kronor, or about 60 million US Dollars. That might be enough to fund a single AAA game if they felt like betting the company on it. Paradox have been doing pretty well lately, but they're not really up there with the big boys yet.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
Paradox is still small, scrappy, and agile. If you compare their headcounts to AAA studios it's clear that they can't call on those kinds of resources.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

God I wish EA would get destroyed.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elias_Maluco posted:

it's kind of sad how many Jagged Alliance "sucessors" have showed up in the JA thread and how creatively every single one of them fails to do even the basics of what made JA2 a game that is still played today.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Drakhoran posted:

500 million Swedish Kronor, or about 60 million US Dollars. That might be enough to fund a single AAA game if they felt like betting the company on it. Paradox have been doing pretty well lately, but they're not really up there with the big boys yet.

Ah. That makes sense. I thought 500 million US seemed really high and impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mans posted:

it's kind of sad how many Jagged Alliance "sucessors" have showed up in the JA thread and how creatively every single one of them fails to do even the basics of what made JA2 a game that is still played today.

just play squad leader, sheesh

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Welp. Guess I'll be crying myself to sleep tonight, thanks.

TBH most of the cool stuff about rebellion is probably gonna get into stellaris