Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dandy Kaiser posted:

Somebody in Columbus is requesting that they do Combination Pizza Hut & Taco Bell.

I need to party with that guy

Two people have backed Albuquerque by Weird Al in Palantine, IL. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dandy Kaiser posted:

I just realized that there's nothing I've ever waned more than to go to that NYC show and get Jeff to play a Bosstones song

gently caress, now I wish I'd asked him to play "Let's Face It".

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
If anyone requests a Streetlight song, the universe may cease to exist as the two fundamental forces collide into each other.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

El Gallinero Gros posted:

gently caress, now I wish I'd asked him to play "Let's Face It".

My idea was probably Hell of a Hat, 7 Ways to Sunday, or A Little Bit Ugly. I figure that those seem the most JEFF to me

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was in a music shop recently and found, of all things, a copy of the Save Ferris album (It Means Everything) in the used CDs section, and got it because it was cheap. It's an odd thing. It isn't really ska, is it? Probably owes more to the swing revival than ska. I actually remember reading this pretty old (maybe around 2000-2001) online interview the band's trumpeter did around the time their last studio album was coming out, and he reminisced about how when was invited to join a ska band in school and asked, "What's ska?" the answer he was given was, "It's rock with horns."

Still, Save Ferris was a band I sort of liked when I first discovered American ska, and I have somehow managed to develop a sort of faux-nostalgia for it despite discovering them a year or two after they'd actually broken up.

I still enjoy their cover of Come on, Eileen. And that's a terrible description for ska.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dandy Kaiser posted:

My idea was probably Hell of a Hat, 7 Ways to Sunday, or A Little Bit Ugly. I figure that those seem the most JEFF to me

Those would be cool too. I'm the only person who voted for the gig I'm attending so far, it'd be weird if I got what I wanted by default, but the show's not until 12/3.

Looks like he'll playing "Radio" by Alkaline Trio tonight unless an 11th hour vote comes in for "Angeles" by Elliot Smith or "Misery Business" by Paramore...

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 29, 2015

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Battle Rockers posted:

I still enjoy their cover of Come on, Eileen.

See, when I was in school, I was into music that was popular a decade before I was born (I still am, but now I've added music that was popular three decades before I was born as well :v:) and one of the bands I was really into was Dexys Midnight Runners. Of course, I knew "Come On Eileen", but what I really liked was the Searching For the Young Soul Rebels album and the stuff with the horns out in front. In fact, it was this fansite that helped me discover a lot of 1960s bands which are now among my favourites - Geno Washington & the Ram Jam Band, obviously, as well as Cliff Bennett & the Rebel Rousers and Zoot Money's Big Roll Band.

So, of course, I ended up running across the Save Ferris version of "Come On Eileen" on YouTube, but it wasn't until later that I realised this was third-wave ska (I'd gotten into Reel Big Fish in the meantime and loved that one stupid song from Turn the Radio Off where Monique Powell does the female vocal part) and gave their album a try. There's one song on it called "Superspy" which I really like. There's another one called "Spam" which is ludicrous in the extreme but still sort of charming, in that sort of inimitably optimistic pre-9/11 way.

quote:

And that's a terrible description for ska.

It is indeed.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ahh for the late 90s early 00s when every punk-ska band had to have an 80s cover. I was briefly in a band and we covered Take Me Home Tonight, and partially covered Anyway You Want It. It's actually kind of amazing how easily most of those 80s pop hits can be converted to ska.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

and yet no one has ever done van halen jump which is just begging to be made into a ska song

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I actually remember reading this pretty old (maybe around 2000-2001) online interview the band's trumpeter did around the time their last studio album was coming out, and he reminisced about how when was invited to join a ska band in school and asked, "What's ska?" the answer he was given was, "It's rock with horns."

I saw America live with my family a year or two ago and the drummer used to play with Reel Big Fish. I was waiting to get a pic with him and a crowd of younger guys were reminiscing about how great it was to see RBF live while some older folks were asking what ska was and he described it as "fast reggae."

I also like Spam, but I'll like any song that sounds like the jingle to some canned food.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Action Tortoise posted:

I saw America live with my family a year or two ago and the drummer used to play with Reel Big Fish. I was waiting to get a pic with him and a crowd of younger guys were reminiscing about how great it was to see RBF live while some older folks were asking what ska was and he described it as "fast reggae."

Well, at least that sort of acknowledges the Jamaican roots! (:v:)

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ahh for the late 90s early 00s when every punk-ska band had to have an 80s cover. I was briefly in a band and we covered Take Me Home Tonight, and partially covered Anyway You Want It. It's actually kind of amazing how easily most of those 80s pop hits can be converted to ska.

Woah you were in atom and his package?!

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

rear end Catchcum posted:

Nah, he was in I Voted For Kodos.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

Monday_ posted:

Haha I still have my IV4K sweat band.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

aricoarena posted:

Haha I still have my IV4K sweat band.

I have their keychain in my pocket right now.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

rear end Catchcum posted:

I wish. I was in a band called The Indecisives.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Congrats. I was In a band, too. We played out a lot. Well, away games.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Monday_ posted:

I just saw that Simpsons episode

IV4K were fun

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

DOOP posted:

I just saw that Simpsons episode

IV4K were fun

I got an email from one of them asking where i heard of them after ordering stuff from bandcamp. I dunno if anyone else in Florida buys their music.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit

Wheat Loaf posted:

See, when I was in school, I was into music that was popular a decade before I was born (I still am, but now I've added music that was popular three decades before I was born as well :v:) and one of the bands I was really into was Dexys Midnight Runners. Of course, I knew "Come On Eileen", but what I really liked was the Searching For the Young Soul Rebels album and the stuff with the horns out in front.

What the hell genre are they anyway? I was only familiar with them being the originators of Come On, Eileen and didn't realize they had a horn section like in that video. Sounds pretty decent, could almost mistake them for a two-tone ska band if you had it on mute.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Battle Rockers posted:

What the hell genre are they anyway? I was only familiar with them being the originators of Come On, Eileen and didn't realize they had a horn section like in that video. Sounds pretty decent, could almost mistake them for a two-tone ska band if you had it on mute.

Album #1 (Searching for the Young Soul Rebels) was blue-eyed soul through the prism of punk. Not exactly mod revival, but part of that same zeitgeist. In this incarnation, Dexys were actually on the 2 Tone Tour when Madness left and there was some talk about the possibility of them signing to the label. Horace Panter's autobiography (Ska'd For Life, which I would recommend to anyone who's interested in an inside story on 2 Tone) has this story about how Jerry Dammers had been sent a demo tape of a song called "Mirror In the Bathroom" from a then-unsigned (English) Beat, and every time it was played on the tour bus there'd be this chorus of boos from the Dexys contingent, because they were apparently rivals back in Birmingham.

There's an Album #1.5 called The Projected Passion Revue which came out in 2008 or so and compiles recordings from 1981, including a full live show (the eponymous Project Passion Revue - they called all their tours revues because they were big into Stax and Motown and so on).

Album #2 (Too-Rye-Aye) is the one with "Come On Eileen". The original guitarist left between albums and set up his own band (the Blue Ox Babes) which incorporated strings into the Dexys sound, but he played a demo tape to Kevin Rowland, who promptly lured away his violinists (the Emerald Express, who are credited as featured artists on some releases of "Come On Eileen") and brought them into the Dexys line-up. I think the biggest influence on the album here is actually Van Morrison; sort of "Celtic soul", I suppose (there's a cover of "Jackie Wilson Said (I'm In Heaven When You Smile)" on this one).

Album #3 (Don't Stand Me Down) was the expansive, experimental album. It's usually ranked as their best (though my own favourite is Album #1) but it's hard to categorise. Very much Kevin Rowland's passion project. Infamously failed because Rowland refused to release a single, then when he did relent and let them put out a single (too late to save the album), chose "This Is What She's Like", which was 12 minutes long.

Album #4 (One Day I'm Going To Soar) came out a couple of years ago. I have not listened to it (I tend to shy away from "comeback" albums by bands who were popular 30 years ago; the only example of such I can think of that equals or even betters the band in question's heyday is The Liberty of Norton Folgate by Madness) so I cannot comment on its songs.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Sounds like I might dig their first album.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Album #1 (Searching for the Young Soul Rebels) was blue-eyed soul through the prism of punk. Not exactly mod revival, but part of that same zeitgeist. In this incarnation, Dexys were actually on the 2 Tone Tour when Madness left and there was some talk about the possibility of them signing to the label. Horace Panter's autobiography (Ska'd For Life, which I would recommend to anyone who's interested in an inside story on 2 Tone) has this story about how Jerry Dammers had been sent a demo tape of a song called "Mirror In the Bathroom" from a then-unsigned (English) Beat, and every time it was played on the tour bus there'd be this chorus of boos from the Dexys contingent, because they were apparently rivals back in Birmingham.

I'm surprised no punk band has done a cover album of just Literally Every Song From Searching for the Young Soul Rebels But Played Twice as Fast because it seems like a lot of them could be adapted better than most songs people try to cover twice as fast and with a horn section.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

guys

guys

GUYS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzVdqlftWU8

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Also Streetlight and Catch are back up on Spotify :toot:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Spaced God posted:

Also Streetlight and Catch are back up on Spotify :toot:
yeah but who gets the streaming revenue?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpifCKmOGTQ

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So when is his cover album coming out?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Skeezy posted:

So when is his cover album coming out?

Then Jeff’s slow transformation into the Anti-Kalnoky will be complete.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

CodfishCartographer posted:

Then Jeff’s slow transformation into the Anti-Kalnoky will be complete.

He's already not good so he's already the anti-kalnoky

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
whoa didn't see that coming

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I let three videos be posted this time before voicing my displeasure

edit: fun story: Victory tried to sign some acquaintances of mine. They asked what the whole Streetlight deal was about, Victory flat out refused to talk about it, so they told them to gently caress off and now aren't a band anymore. Punx.

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 11, 2015

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica
Every now and again I wonder why I pay attention to Travis Barker.

Then I see things like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AErXRmFqtu0

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

Every now and again I wonder why I pay attention to Travis Barker.

Then I see things like this.

And now you know you should stop paying any attention to him.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

aricoarena posted:

And now you know you should stop paying any attention to him.

The Baron von Tito loving owned.

Fateo McMurray posted:

He's already not good so he's already the anti-kalnoky

:chanpop:

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Nov 12, 2015

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
So I dunno how many ska goons are familiar with the GTA area of Ontario but, The Slackers are playing in Barrie on the 15th. The Slackers. In Barrie. OF COURSE I'm in Mexico during this incredibly unlikely event.

CDX fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 13, 2015

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CDX posted:

So I dunno how many ska goons are familiar with the GTA area of Ontario but, The Slackers are playing in Barrie on the 15th. The Slackers. In Barrie. OF COURSE I'm in Mexico during this incredibly unlikely event.

I think you meant Greater Toronto Area but god drat if I didn't laugh my rear end off at the thought of a GTA game set in Canada

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

It was me

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Some rear end in a top hat stole all of Jeff's gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

donges
Aug 4, 2012

I'd rather be vomiting and I despise vomiting. Blegh!

The original 10k goal was reached, so they extended it, and also Jeff uploaded a video of himself playing a new song as a thank you on the gofundme page. Heartwarming!