Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

It's an issue with our rural address, of course. And of course, I asked them about this yesterday due to all the notifications about an unverified address I was getting from the Project Fi app. She told me it absolutely wasn't an issue. But it absolutely was. Now I've finally got someone competent working with me to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Do the phones ordered from Huawei ship any faster? It says "Late November".

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Silly Burrito posted:

Oh she has (for the last couple of days). She's on chat hold now.

I'm waiting for my Nexus 6p, but I'll be transferring my number from AT&T, so I'm hoping that goes smoother.

Transferring from AT&T took maybe 10 minutes.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

photomikey posted:

Do the phones ordered from Huawei ship any faster? It says "Late November".

My guess is no. The reason they're shipping in Late November is they aren't even built yet. Once again Google underestimated popularity of it's phone and it's out of stock.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

withoutclass posted:

Transferring from AT&T took maybe 10 minutes.

Same, AT&T transfer was no problem. They warn it could take a while but I am pretty sure mine was done before I was even fully finished with the rest of the sign up process.

Edit: Also, if you don't know - If the number is the only one on your AT&T account, transferring it automatically initiates an account cancellation with AT&T, you don't even need to call them and have some poor soul try to talk you out of it. They will just send you a final bill.

This all assumes you are out of contract, of course, if you still have time on a phone contract I imagine some pain is going to be involved in this process :)

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I got it all fixed last night. My savior over at Google Tech Support had to get the transfer department to go in and manually release my number. Once that happened, I had no problem setting everything up. I'm just really aggravated that the first three techs I talked to didn't bother to actually go in and check to see what the problem was. They just told me to wait. But on Day 5, this guy was able to tell me exactly what my problem was (which I knew but was told that it was not the problem) and fix it for me.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My 6P which I ordered 10/21 and said would ship 11/20something shipped today, it'll be here Tuesday. From Illinois. Apparently they've shipped it via slow-pony express.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Darkpriest667 posted:

I believe the store is out of everything for the 6P in all colors? It was last time I checked. You can order direct from Huawei.

http://www.gethuawei.com/nexus6p

I was planning on paying it off over the 2 years since why wouldn't I take 0% financing? The sign up page for Fi says they have some 32GB 6Ps in stock, so I might just go with that if push comes to shove.

e: Also just noticed, but Huawei says they're sold out too.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 29, 2015

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog
How do people feel about getting a Nexus 6 for Project Fi? I got my SIM card yesterday, but I was waiting to buy one of the $270 Nexus 6s that were going around, only today it seems like they're all gone and only $350 buy-it-nows are left on eBay. Any expectation that the price will go down, or is $350 sustainable given the original price of the phone? If I have to pay that much i'd almost rather just spring for the 6p.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Does T-Mobile's "streaming music from certain apps don't count towards your data consumption" apply for Fi?

I'm on the nerd plan and stream a lot of music from Songza.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral
My 6p with fi shipped as well.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I have it and will probably switch back to cricket, since using a gig and a half makes using cricket cheaper.

The switching is slow and clunky, I often drop service. Fi Spy allows me to change networks over, but it's a pain.

All the pain of switching and dealing with that and my normal 70 dollar cricket bill was down to 69.40

So yeah. It's okay, probably a lot better if you're an international traveler or have wifi at work.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.
I just got my 6P and transferred my number over from Sprint. It took maybe five minutes before I was all set up.

Texts, phone calls, and data speeds all seem pretty solid. I'm excited to get out there and use this.

The only issue I'm having is with my old Nexus 6, it looks like the Marshmallow update messed with something because no matter what I do, I cannot get my computer to recognize it as a device. I'd just like to get my pictures and junk off of it.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Lunchboxx posted:

The only issue I'm having is with my old Nexus 6, it looks like the Marshmallow update messed with something because no matter what I do, I cannot get my computer to recognize it as a device. I'd just like to get my pictures and junk off of it.

Have you gone into the notification and chosen MTP mode? USB doesn't just connect like it did pre-6.0, now it defaults to charge until you make that selection.

Lunchboxx
Jun 19, 2004

His name is Head. Dick Head.

FunOne posted:

Have you gone into the notification and chosen MTP mode? USB doesn't just connect like it did pre-6.0, now it defaults to charge until you make that selection.

Yup. I've gone in there, I've gone in developer options and changed it, I've gone to charge only while unplugged and changed it back and forth again, I've used different USB cables, etc etc. Nothing's working. I'm just using Airmore at this point.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Darkpriest667 posted:

It also will work in 120 countries, data is free (the same charge as domestic), but cellular use is 20 cents per minute outside the U.S.

The Project Fi expert I spoke with earlier this week said you must pay another $10 for 1GB of overseas roaming data, it doesn't come out of your existing USA data, but unused global roaming data is refunded as per the norm. I looked in to this because I am going overseas soon.

I'm totally signing up for this (got an invite already) upon my return. Don't want to risk any 'teething' issues while I'm away. I already have t-mobile, and just bought a 6p, so I'm keen to save $10 a month.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 29, 2015

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Got an invite the other day for this and really looking forward to try it out, as I am sick of ATT.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Got my 5X and Fi sim card today. Popped it in and my number ported over in about 5 minutes. Piece of cake. I'm frequently connected to Wifi since I spend a good deal of time between work/home but I will hopefully get an idea of the cell performance soon. I live in Hawaii, specifically Honolulu, so cell service usually isn't a problem in town. But, I do like to go hiking or bike riding in some more rural or mountainous parts of the island, so it'll be interesting to see what happens in spottier areas.

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Ranter posted:

The Project Fi expert I spoke with earlier this week said you must pay another $10 for 1GB of overseas roaming data, it doesn't come out of your existing USA data, but unused global roaming data is refunded as per the norm. I looked in to this because I am going overseas soon.

I'm totally signing up for this (got an invite already) upon my return. Don't want to risk any 'teething' issues while I'm away. I already have t-mobile, and just bought a 6p, so I'm keen to save $10 a month.

OP is changed to reflect what you've posted. Thanks.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

I got an email today. Google had some 64GB 6Ps in stock, so Project Fi here I come. :toot:

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.

Infidel Castro posted:

I got an email today. Google had some 64GB 6Ps in stock, so Project Fi here I come. :toot:

Yup just ordered one.. Graphite 64GB .. on it's way.. 583 bucks... Project Fi I am on my way!

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Just a word to the wise - if you order a 6p or 5x for Fi and it's not *specifically* from the Fi store/Fi stock - and that does not include the regular Google Play store - it won't come with a sim card.

If you are like me and already have a 6 with Fi and think you are covered because it's the same, think again - though they are both nano-sims, the 6p and 5x require a new card anyway. Which again, if you didn't order it specifically from Fi stock (and they are usually out) you won't get.

Google will send you a sim for Fi for free if you are already signed up, or if you sign up for the program separately you'll get your own kit, but the people they forgot were the ones already on Fi upgrading phones. So having paid for two day shipping for my 6p I can't use it on Fi until my sim card arrives via ground (unless, of course, I wanted to pay them for overnight or two day shipping all over again, at the same rate).

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
There has been some posts that said you can't use voice and data at the same time? Anyone able to confirm that?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Sounds like outdated Sprint talk. I also find it hard to believe if on wifi. At the very worst, that would be limited to using a cell tower on sprint. As a t-mobile user, I haven't noticed this so it wouldn't carry over to Fi.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Darkpriest667 posted:

There has been some posts that said you can't use voice and data at the same time? Anyone able to confirm that?

Yeah looks like just for sprint.
https://twitter.com/sgreenstonenj/status/608322949968457728

Darkpriest667
Feb 2, 2015

I'm sorry I impugned
your cocksmanship.
I have Sprint now and can use Data when I am on the phone so this seems weird to me.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Has anyone that ordered a 6P through Fi received it yet? Getting kind of pissed seeing all these people who ordered in the last few days getting their phones while my three week old order has been "processing" for a week.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Humerus posted:

Has anyone that ordered a 6P through Fi received it yet? Getting kind of pissed seeing all these people who ordered in the last few days getting their phones while my three week old order has been "processing" for a week.

No, but my order says Dec. 3-7, so I figure I'm waiting anyway. I think I ordered around three or four weeks ago as well.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Silly Burrito posted:

No, but my order says Dec. 3-7, so I figure I'm waiting anyway. I think I ordered around three or four weeks ago as well.

The disconnect between stores is annoying. It's pretty common to see giant companies act like a collection of smaller companies that sometimes don't talk to one another but Google has usually been pretty good about being seamless.

What I mean is, if you had ordered the 6p when it popped back in the Play store (which it is doing again with some regularity) you'd have it by now. I got an email last week that the model I wanted was in stock and had it three days later, including processing time. The Play store and the "Fi" store are not the same thing even though they might appear to be that way - separate back end, separate inventory of phones.

Of course, as I pointed out above, if you already have Fi - or you don't but are ordering it new - you won't get a Fi sim with it and "old" Fi sims (from 4 months ago) don't work with the new phones. So if you order off Play make sure you order a sim kit from Fi too. Which you might want to think about doing if you still have Fi store orders showing Dec 3-7 since Play store orders for most models are shipping, or were a day or so ago.

(If they show out of stock on Play again, set a reminder email, they pop back in stock all the time).

Minor customer service point for Google: After I complained via their feedback app about the unclear process they expedited my new sim shipment and it'll be here tomorrow.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Humerus posted:

Yes, received it Friday.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Ixian posted:

The disconnect between stores is annoying. It's pretty common to see giant companies act like a collection of smaller companies that sometimes don't talk to one another but Google has usually been pretty good about being seamless.

What I mean is, if you had ordered the 6p when it popped back in the Play store (which it is doing again with some regularity) you'd have it by now. I got an email last week that the model I wanted was in stock and had it three days later, including processing time. The Play store and the "Fi" store are not the same thing even though they might appear to be that way - separate back end, separate inventory of phones.

Of course, as I pointed out above, if you already have Fi - or you don't but are ordering it new - you won't get a Fi sim with it and "old" Fi sims (from 4 months ago) don't work with the new phones. So if you order off Play make sure you order a sim kit from Fi too. Which you might want to think about doing if you still have Fi store orders showing Dec 3-7 since Play store orders for most models are shipping, or were a day or so ago.

(If they show out of stock on Play again, set a reminder email, they pop back in stock all the time).

Minor customer service point for Google: After I complained via their feedback app about the unclear process they expedited my new sim shipment and it'll be here tomorrow.

Thanks. Personally, I'm not in a gigantic hurry because I still have five months left on my AT&T contract. I figure that at the absolute worst, someone has a massive sale on the Note 5 for Black Friday and I cancel this. Otherwise, I just let my ETF inch down a bit until it does.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Darkpriest667 posted:

I have Sprint now and can use Data when I am on the phone so this seems weird to me.

Give project fi a call and ask them. That's what I did. No menus, no waiting on hold, straight through to an American dude.

Russian Dollies
Jun 25, 2006

Basically... RUN.

Is there any place reliable to find out when Google intends to restock the Fi store? The husband and I have been checking daily for Graphite and Frost 6Ps to come back in stock for weeks now. I had hoped when they refreshed stock on the Google Store they would do the Fi store, too, but no. We really don't want to drop $1100+ on phones in one go. :/

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I originally had selected paying for the phone all at once, but I decided I wanted to finance it after all which required a new sign up. Original estimated delivery 11/24, new estimated delivery 12/21 :(

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again

Humerus posted:

I ordered a aluminum 64GB 6P last Friday, and I got a notification that I should actually have delivery by tomorrow. Oddly enough, I can't activate it for another two weeks since my contract expires on the 20th.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
You'll like it. I like Fi itself, a lot, and that is on the 6, which is a phone I really don't like.

The 6p is night and day from the 6 - the camera "hump" that everyone was aghast over in pre-release pics is nothing, it barely registers, the build quality is top-tier, the screen is incredibly good, and best of all it actually takes pictures that are decent now. I agree with most reviews in that it's not the very best smartphone camera, but it's finally up near the top of the pack. And it's fast as hell, camera and overall.

It also feels a lot nicer to hold, because it's very slightly narrower thanks to the thinner bezel, and the edges are much easier to grip. For a screen this size it's near perfect, I think.

The fingerprint reader is my favorite bit, I didn't think I'd like it on the back but as it turns out it's a good place for it, almost second nature to use after just a couple days and it is stupid-fast, faster than my iPhone 6 (I have one for work). Thumbs up on this phone.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Been about a week now with Fi on the 5X, and no complaints regarding the service in urban Honolulu. The 5X is also solid. I really like that I was able to sign up for and activate the service and port my number painlessly and without needing to speak to a single annoying sales rep. It does sound like that if I do need a human being though, that they'll actually be available and actually be American.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Humerus posted:

I ordered on Oct 19th, it just shipped on 11/4, and it says expected delivery 11/19-11/23. I didn't think that was too terrible, and that was through Fi with the SIM card as well. Looking forward to my shiny new 6p.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

paperwind posted:

Been about a week now with Fi on the 5X, and no complaints regarding the service in urban Honolulu. The 5X is also solid. I really like that I was able to sign up for and activate the service and port my number painlessly and without needing to speak to a single annoying sales rep. It does sound like that if I do need a human being though, that they'll actually be available and actually be American.

I had a lot of problems setting up my service and had to speak with a handful of customer service reps. They were all native English speakers and it was pretty painless getting someone to talk to either via phone or chat. I just wish my first 3 reps had taken the time to figure out what was wrong with my number before I had to wait a week for someone to give a drat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Not Fi related specifically, but my 6p case that I bought off Google Store is in Fedex limbo hell (it's been 'out for delivery' for 4 days and Fedex are being useless) so I called Google Store support today and it was all Americans, no hold time initially and then the rep had to transfer me to shipping which was a 'warm transfer'; meaning he waited with me and handed me off after explaining to the next guy what we had discussed. That's call center A+ quality service.