Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Braincloud posted:

What does your 14lb setup include? I'm always curious what ultra-lighters pack and what they leave at home to keep the weight down.

Also, a 40L pack is fine for most multi-day trips. I have an Osprey Aether 65 that I never come close to filling (even on my PCT trip). However, I hate having stuff tacked to the outside of my pack so the extra room is nice and I can fit everything inside.
http://lighterpack.com/r/chu3cw

Here's my list, 13.27 including a 2.5lb camera/lens combo, smart phone, etc. My pack/tent/bag/pad totals 6.5lbs, the rest makes it up to about 10. The only clothing I list there is outerwear, and I usually don't pack much else than that, maybe an extra tank top or something. I can easily hit 10lbs base weight if I drop a few luxury items. I'm a big dude, but I found that if I'm carrying much more than 15 lbs on my back I really hurt after about 6 hours, and I like to put in long 8-12 hour days when I'm hiking so going light is more comfortable and allows me to hike the style I like a lot easier.

I really love every piece of my gear, and I've come to this setup after much trial and error of hiking and bike camping what I really need and don't need. I also have a hammock setup that weighs a bit more but can be better depending on where I'm camping and the season. I'm in the Southeast so rainy season is much better off the ground at night, even with a great tent like the Flycreek.

Saint Fu posted:

I've posted this before but here's my gear list.

14 lbs with big bear can and 2.5 lbs of camera gear. It's a good weight for me.
Your link is just to the home page of Lighterpack, you didn't include the full URL for your list.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
You guys with your 2.5 pound cameras make me feel better about my fishing crap.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bunnielab posted:

You guys with your 2.5 pound cameras make me feel better about my fishing crap.

I'm trying to figure out a way to add a flyfishing kit to my setup too :v:

Also, can't take these pics without the camera

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

me your dad posted:

I'm looking for camping recommendations in Virginia for a mid-November trip. We'll be driving from metro DC and we'd like to keep the drive under three hours.

Last January we did Duncan Knob Hollow in the GW National Forest and enjoyed it but it'd be fun to check out some other spots.

I'd like to keep the hike to 4 miles or less. The more secluded the better. I don't want to camp on top of other people. Duncan Knob was great for this reason, but it was also 20° out, which I imagine contributed to the solitude. We want primitive camp sites and we'll of course need a good fire. It'll just be me and a friend in two tents so there's no need for large accommodations. We'll also have a dog with us.

Closer to DC - the Great North Mountain area has some good trails with backcountry camping spots not too far from the road, and outside of Big Schloss its pretty secluded with very few people. I always run into a lot more wildlife on the trails there than in SNP and elsewhere, so I figure there's never a lot of humans around.

The HU website has a couple different hikes listed and the PATC has a guidebook for the area. Just off the top of my head I'd take a look at Little Schloss and White Rocks.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

I'm trying to figure out a way to add a flyfishing kit to my setup too :v:

Also, can't take these pics without the camera

Bro I can't even see the bass in that picture, mess with the contrast and repost it or something.

that is a really beautiful picture, but honestly If i wasn't giving my girlfriend little photo updates, I would never take a non-fish picture while out. And I only take the fish pictures due to some weird compulsion for strangers on the Internet to tell me that my bass is "nice". It's really weird but I completely crave and need that feedback.

Go on, say some nice stuff about my bass.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I don't see any bass :colbert:

I've been toying back and forth with the idea of getting some kind of tenkara rod type setup to do some fishing but haven't gotten around to it. Not really sure I want to eat fish I catch though...it's been a long time since I"ve killed and gutted one, I'd probably screw it up pretty badly

ronaldreagan
Mar 25, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Here's my list, 13.27 including a 2.5lb camera/lens combo, smart phone, etc.

Forgive me if I missed something but how do you get by with just a lifestraw for water filtration? Are you boiling water with the esbit stove, or not cooking/rehydrating, or what? And you don't carry any water with you?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

ronaldreagan posted:

Forgive me if I missed something but how do you get by with just a lifestraw for water filtration? Are you boiling water with the esbit stove, or not cooking/rehydrating, or what? And you don't carry any water with you?

I haven't updated the list to change it to a Sawyer Mini but that's what I use now. And yes I carry water (about 2l at a time), that's just my gear list pre-water/food.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Bottom Liner posted:

Your link is just to the home page of Lighterpack, you didn't include the full URL for your list.
Oops, thanks for the heads up.

http://lighterpack.com/r/1dmmhy

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

goddamn that tent is so freaking light

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

Saint Fu posted:

Oops, thanks for the heads up.

http://lighterpack.com/r/1dmmhy

What a horrible website to show me! I wasted several hours of my life on it last night :)

Keldoclock
Jan 5, 2014

by zen death robot

bunnielab posted:

Unfortunately, it got me used to a 1lb bag, which isn't at all reasonable.

Completely reasonable! :retrogames::shepicide:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Levitate posted:

I don't see any bass :colbert:

I've been toying back and forth with the idea of getting some kind of tenkara rod type setup to do some fishing but haven't gotten around to it. Not really sure I want to eat fish I catch though...it's been a long time since I"ve killed and gutted one, I'd probably screw it up pretty badly

Gutting a fish is more intuitive than you think, if you don't care about presentation/possibly mangling it a little. You just cut from the gill across the neck, then from the butt up the belly, and the rest is kind of self explanatory.

I've done backpack fishing using line + hiking poles. It's weird and annoying and it doesn't work great, but it avoids the weight of a pole. If i were more serious about fishing I'd probably bring a light pole though.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

http://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Fly-Fish-Rod-GFUSA%C2%AE/dp/B008KTMY20/

At $55 and 2oz that Tenkara shouldn't break your bank or your back.

I basically threw everything onto lighterpack.com last night and I came up with a pack weight under 28lbs including 4lbs of luxury items and also my cold and wet weather gear. I did not include water or food weight though. So that's consistent with what I had been estimating. Some of my gear is pretty light. Other things are not light at all. This was a "what I have" list instead of an optimized one.

Hungryjack fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 28, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

alnilam posted:

Gutting a fish is more intuitive than you think, if you don't care about presentation/possibly mangling it a little. You just cut from the gill across the neck, then from the butt up the belly, and the rest is kind of self explanatory.

I've done backpack fishing using line + hiking poles. It's weird and annoying and it doesn't work great, but it avoids the weight of a pole. If i were more serious about fishing I'd probably bring a light pole though.

Yah I've done fish gutting before way back when I was younger, fun times. How do you usually do the actual killing of the fish?

and yeah I've thought about just bringing some line to dangle in the water. Might be worth trying just for giggles

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Levitate posted:

Yah I've done fish gutting before way back when I was younger, fun times. How do you usually do the actual killing of the fish?

You just bash it.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

deong posted:

You just bash it.

Either hit it with a rock or hit it against a rock.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ok that's what I always did but wasn't sure if there was a better way. Sometimes the little bastards are slippery...

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Depending on the type/size of fish, I prefer to cut the gill plates and bleed them out.

edit : or a rock.

Yooper fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 28, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Never kill a fish. Pet them lovingly and then release them to the wild.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Tsyni posted:

Never kill a fish. Pet them lovingly with a rock and then release them to from the wild.

deong fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 28, 2015

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

after I hook 'em in the mouth and drag them around and out into the air to lay gasping for oxygen while I rip a hook out then I might as well kill them I guess

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Levitate posted:

after I hook 'em in the mouth and drag them around and out into the air to lay gasping for oxygen while I rip a hook out then I might as well kill them I guess

Good av/post combo

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
What's everyone's favorite sleeping pads?

Also murder fish for their tasty flesh.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Tsyni posted:

Never kill a fish. Pet them lovingly and then release them to the wild.

Have you ever tried to eat a still living fish? It is not easy.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

bonds0097 posted:

Have you ever tried to eat a still living fish? It is not easy.

First step is to rip its spine out with your teeth :black101:

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Crazyeyes posted:

Neoair.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Crazyeyes posted:

Also murder fish for their tasty flesh.

Big agnes insulated q core pad. A little on the plushy side but it's super comfortable especially since I'm a side sleeper and it's kept me much warmer at or below freezing temps being insulated. It's the same weight and size as my 1" thermarest self inflating pad (about the size of a nalgene bottle) but infinitely more comfortable.

I wish I was one of those people who can sleep on anything but my back and hips kill me if it's too hard. Tried closed cell foam and I was miserable. Had to sleep on my back which makes me snore and it wakes me up. Self inflating was better but not good enough for side sleeping. If I've learned anything it's that a good solid sleep goes a long way in a trip. Sure I take some grief from my buddies when I inflate my "blow up doll" but I wake up refreshed.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Verman posted:

when I inflate my "blow up doll"
lol

I go with a closed cell foam pad (thermarest zlite) despite being a side sleeper. It's not ideal when sleeping on rock, dirt is better, sand is the best. But I find that the I bounce around too much or something on the inflatable pads and I can never get my inflatable pillow to stay on the pad. This wakes me up just as much as sore joints on the CCF so I go with the lighter, more convenient option. I love being able to throw down my pad anytime I stop without having to worry about inflating it or puncturing it or anything.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone have the REI Flash pad?
I got one last year, and it seems to loose most the air over night. It has a little air stop valve thing that I sometimes have to adjust over the air intake hole. I'm wondering if this is common, or if I have a bunk pad? I can take it back to REI as its only about a season old.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

deong posted:

I got one last year, and it seems to loose most the air over night. It has a little air stop valve thing that I sometimes have to adjust over the air intake hole. I'm wondering if this is common, or if I have a bunk pad? I can take it back to REI as its only about a season old.

I don't have one but I wouldn't be happy if my pad was leaking air overnight. Take advantage of REI and exchange it IMO.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

deong posted:

I had one and it worked fine for several years. Didn't have a problem with it deflating overnight, but the one way valve for the inflation hole disappeared one day so it was a pain to blow up so I returned it.

I kinda hate how bouncy the big inflatables like that are but they are more comfortable

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Canna Happy posted:

Not enough love going on in here. Did you do an instagram or blog?

I started a blog, but it turns out keeping up with a blog while hiking 25 miles a day was hard for me to commit to. By the time I got to camp, writing on a tiny iPhone keyboard just wasn't gonna happen. You can see the first month or so that I got done here:

http://www.barryhikesthepct.com/

I put up the photos I liked the best here:

http://bwainstock.github.io/pct_photos/

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

deong posted:

Deong hit me up if you want to go backpacking some time, the wife and I have done some but we are trying to get into it some more.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Closer to DC - the Great North Mountain area has some good trails with backcountry camping spots not too far from the road, and outside of Big Schloss its pretty secluded with very few people. I always run into a lot more wildlife on the trails there than in SNP and elsewhere, so I figure there's never a lot of humans around.

The HU website has a couple different hikes listed and the PATC has a guidebook for the area. Just off the top of my head I'd take a look at Little Schloss and White Rocks.

Thanks - Schloss looks great. Is Little Schloss recommended over Big Schloss because of the potential of more people at the latter?

The two campsites close to each other look really great but I'd be worried they might both be taken.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 29, 2015

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Internet Explorer posted:

Deong hit me up if you want to go backpacking some time, the wife and I have done some but we are trying to get into it some more.

I've only gone a few times. I need to figure out weight poo poo, cuz wtf is this 12lb bag stuff? I think mine comes down to cooking stuff. But I'm at like 30lb.
I really want to get into bikecamping, and everything crosses over except the pack obv.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

deong posted:

I've only gone a few times. I need to figure out weight poo poo, cuz wtf is this 12lb bag stuff? I think mine comes down to cooking stuff. But I'm at like 30lb.
I really want to get into bikecamping, and everything crosses over except the pack obv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDgTV8q5Cw
Cook kits can be hilariously light. That's my setup, and I do all freezer bag cooking so it just needs to boil 12-16oz of water. These days use aluminum flashing for a windscreen and a strip of silicone for a hot pad.

My heavyweight version is a Starlyte stove from Zelph and a 900ml Ti pot, and its still only 6ish oz.

These meals rule
http://andrewskurka.com/section/how-to/food-nutrition/meal-recipes/
and adapt to freezer bag rehydrating well.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Probably a dumb question, but what is that you are using as fuel?

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Looks like esbit solid fuel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

me your dad posted:

Thanks - Schloss looks great. Is Little Schloss recommended over Big Schloss because of the potential of more people at the latter?

The two campsites close to each other look really great but I'd be worried they might both be taken.

Big Schloss is easier for day hikers to get to and is more well known (plus, 'Big' is better than 'Little', right?), so it tends to get more traffic.

Little Schloss is accessible via a gravel road vs a paved road for Big Schloss, and the side trail up to the top of the rock itself can be a bit overgrown and hard to find during summertime. Little Schloss itself also has a short rock scramble to the top (like Old Rag), vs a well marked trail and viewing platform on Big Schloss. Here's another pic of the Little Schloss rock scramble:

As for the camping spots, there's a couple of good sized grassy areas along the trail with plenty of room to set up. I've got a few better pics than the ones on HU and even they don't really show the full size of the available area. One note, you'll have to carry your water in since AFAIK there aren't any springs on the top of the ridge, but it's only a few miles from the road so it shouldn't be too much of a problem.