Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

StashAugustine posted:

just play squad leader, sheesh

Microprose's best-selling game of all time?!

StashAugustine posted:

TBH most of the cool stuff about rebellion is probably gonna get into stellaris

Yeah but... its not Star Wars :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Rebellion didn't have any cool stuff, it was incredibly dry and boring and the worst use of a license ever

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Microprose's best-selling game of all time?!

Yeah but... its not Star Wars :mad:

Probably could mod the game up fairly easily to have SW names and artwork.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dibujante posted:

Paradox is still small, scrappy, and agile. If you compare their headcounts to AAA studios it's clear that they can't call on those kinds of resources.

While this is completely true, I note that I tend to enjoy Paradox games more than most AAA games so I'm failing to see a problem.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Chief Savage Man posted:

Probably could mod the game up fairly easily to have SW names and artwork.

Thankfully, I've got my Star Wars Encyclopedia to jumpstart mod production!

Are there any good resources/generators for random country settings and objectives for CK2/EU4?

Want to get my fix, but all the options are crippling and I'm too boring to go achievement hunting.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
White Wolf!? But Paradox was supposed to buy the rights to Glorantha and make Crusader Kings of Dragon Pass!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Jsor posted:

White Wolf!? But Paradox was supposed to buy the rights to Glorantha and make Crusader Kings of Dragon Pass!

They stopped after realizing that the Orlanthi are not in fact, vikings.

Edit: Which reminds me, they should buy Holistic designs and make a new Hammer of the Gods game.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

NewMars posted:

Edit: Which reminds me, they should buy Holistic designs and make a new Hammer of the Gods game.

Oh gently caress the hell yes.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kavak posted:

Oh gently caress the hell yes.

They're also the company that made Emperor of the Fading Suns and the Fading Suns RPG it was based on. :eng101:

Edit: Also, Merchant prince, a Venetian family simulator where you could build a villa and burn down your rival's for political game and had a moddable table of slanderous lies to accuse your opponents with.

They and Hammer of the gods share a wonderful map mechanic sadly found nowhere else, where You start out with a full world map, but this map is not accurate. So you'd see a city on it and explore where it is only to find a mountain or a forest or something and the city itself a few squares away. This got worse the further away from your starting point it was, so you might have entire continents written down that did not actually exist.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 30, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NewMars posted:

They're also the company that made Emperor of the Fading Suns and the Fading Suns RPG it was based on. :eng101:

Edit: Also, Merchant prince, a Venetian family simulator where you could build a villa and burn down your rival's for political game and had a moddable table of slanderous lies to accuse your opponents with.

They and Hammer of the gods share a wonderful map mechanic sadly found nowhere else, where You start out with a full world map, but this map is not accurate. So you'd see a city on it and explore where it is only to find a mountain or a forest or something and the city itself a few squares away. This got worse the further away from your starting point it was, so you might have entire continents written down that did not actually exist.

This would be an amazing feature for Random New World games in EU4, although I bet the engine can't support it. I guess you could make a TI texture with an insanely inaccurate atlas map or something and hope you can position juuust right.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Taking the actual terrain data beneath the TI and making some sort of distortion formula* to display as the TI texture? Sounds doable.

*The Hard Part*

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

NewMars posted:

:aaaaa:

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

What is a 'TI texture'? Googling just returns titanium textures.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

VostokProgram posted:

What is a 'TI texture'? Googling just returns titanium textures.

Terra Incognita

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
It worked really well in Hammer of the gods because castles were a very important thing. Groups of developed Saxon and Frankish settlements would spawn within range of a castle. When you won a battle against a town, you had to decide whether to raid it for a little loot, sack it for a massive amount of cash, or raze it to the ground and maybe repopulate it as a colony with your own troops. Now, raiding you did because it didn't use up all of your turn and if there was a castle in range at the end of your turn, they sent out troops to assault you. So inaccurate maps could lead to you sacking a town and being unable to run back to the longboat (which your troops could actually carry overland for higher movement costs) before about a dozen angry Frankish knights ran you down.

Edit: Or worse, wandering about in the forests of bumfuck nowhere and running right up to a top-level castle with no movement points left.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 30, 2015

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004
This is a lot easier to do in a tile-based game, but I suppose in EU4 you could have conquistadors / explorers randomly sometimes move to a province that is adjacent to the one you targeted without telling you during the movement that this is what is going to happen.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Oh, duh.

I hope you Paradox devs are taking notes, I'll be expecting this feature in EU5. :getin:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

VostokProgram posted:

Oh, duh.

I hope you Paradox devs are taking notes, I'll be expecting this feature in EU5. :getin:

Paradox should use all that money to hire some idea guys :smug:

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

This is why East vs. West was cancelled.

I'm okay with this suddenly.
I would seriously enjoy a good WoD game these days.

StashAugustine posted:

Counterpoint: WoD is bad and Bloodlines was good in spite of the license

Old WoD's storylines/lore weren't that bad at all. Can't speak really on mechanics though.
The New WoD was pretty boring and uninspiring though to me. It pretty much sucked out any drive I feel players would have. They went from a meta story with major goals to... "Hey, we're like, vampires or werewolves or some poo poo. It's cool I guess. We're people too, if you think about it." Yawn. You have awesome powers. Why isn't there meta politics or some poo poo going on?

Maybe I was reading the wrong excerpts. I just couldn't see the appeal though. Never had the full book for any of the new WoD. I totally bought Old WoD books for the lore alone, which says a lot I feel.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've said it before, but Paradox should most definitely buy the rights to Darklands and remake that poo poo. I can think of no other RPG title that is more up their historical alley than that, and it was a fantastic game for its time.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 30, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Drone posted:

I've said it before, but Paradox should most definitely buy the rights to Darklands and remake that poo poo. I can think of no other RPG title that is more up their historical alley than that, and it was a fantastic game for its time.

I keep saying that a Darklands in the Fading Suns universe would be the most glorious poo poo ever. I reckon Paradox are getting into RPG's with WoD since they've been wanting to do that since Runemaster.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Demiurge4 posted:

I keep saying that a Darklands in the Fading Suns universe would be the most glorious poo poo ever. I reckon Paradox are getting into RPG's with WoD since they've been wanting to do that since Runemaster.

Oddly enough, now that I think about it, Hammer of the Gods is basically runemaster if they made it in the civ 1 era.

Though, as far as strategy/tactics rpgs go it is much more towards the strategy bit.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I think that Darklands is the oldest game that I still play (unless you count Tetris derivatives) and I can't think of any other game that fits that niche. Even now it's a pretty drat fun and good game.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

I think that Darklands is the oldest game that I still play (unless you count Tetris derivatives) and I can't think of any other game that fits that niche. Even now it's a pretty drat fun and good game.

I thought age of decadence would do it, but while it has the right sort of atmosphere, it's a very linear experience, albeit a very good one.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Paradox grand strategy mmo when?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mans posted:

it's kind of sad how many Jagged Alliance "sucessors" have showed up in the JA thread and how creatively every single one of them fails to do even the basics of what made JA2 a game that is still played today.

Yeah, I bought Back in Action and Flashback and they both try so hard but fall so far away to recreating what made JA2 great. They propose to update JA2 but arent even able to be on par, in features, size and depth, to the game they are trying to improve on. Not to mention style, charm and personality, of which they both have none at all.

And that's part of the problem too: you cant remake JA2: its an absolute classic. Any game that claims to be a remake of it will be compared to the original and it will look bad. If they had at least tried to go further, to be JA3 instead, maybe they would not look so poor.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

RabidWeasel posted:

Same. Darklands just strikes the perfect chord for me: a healthy helping of actual history, a sprinkling of low magic, a growing sense of religious-themed horror, a fantastic character generation system, a massive world...

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

There's a indie game called " battle brothers." It's on steam and seems like it takes heavily from Darklands

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-31th-development-diary-30th-of-october-2015.889096/

New peace conference mechanics look to be on fleek

edit- oh holy poo poo, Radical Yugoslavia and Legionary Romania. Hahahahha, owns.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/hearts-of-iron-iv-31th-development-diary-30th-of-october-2015.889096/

New peace conference mechanics look to be on fleek

edit- oh holy poo poo, Radical Yugoslavia and Legionary Romania. Hahahahha, owns.

Wait, so looking at the demands on the right side of the screen it seems Yugoslavia and Bulgaria are demanding bits of Poland. Does that mean that after the peace there are tiny little Yugoslavian and Bulgarian exclaves in the middle of Poland loving up everybody's borders?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
It would do, yes. Bear in mind the peace AI hasn't been tweaked much yet though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

It would do, yes. Bear in mind the peace AI hasn't been tweaked much yet though.

Maybe there should be some kind of larger system where the AI sets its desired targets for expansion and won't necessarily claim areas outside those (at first, anyway) but will instead sort of save up warscore influence. So Yugoslavia and Bulgaria don't demand anything from Poland despite contributing to the war effort but in return they expect a larger share of the peace than their war effort would normally allow when you're carving up Albania, Greece, and Turkey, for example. Then after achieving those goals the AI could set new expansion targets so they don't just go dormant for the rest of the game.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bel Monte posted:

I'm okay with this suddenly.
I would seriously enjoy a good WoD game these days.

Old WoD's storylines/lore weren't that bad at all. Can't speak really on mechanics though.
The New WoD was pretty boring and uninspiring though to me. It pretty much sucked out any drive I feel players would have. They went from a meta story with major goals to... "Hey, we're like, vampires or werewolves or some poo poo. It's cool I guess. We're people too, if you think about it." Yawn. You have awesome powers. Why isn't there meta politics or some poo poo going on?

Maybe I was reading the wrong excerpts. I just couldn't see the appeal though. Never had the full book for any of the new WoD. I totally bought Old WoD books for the lore alone, which says a lot I feel.

Yeah, you read the wrong books, but I can understand where you are coming from. A major shift in nWOD design was not having major canon truths (like the Cain or Wyrm things), replacing them with different contradictory myths, and the politics mostly shifted to regional/city level instead of global conspiracies - and the books are full of awesome local stuff and conflicts -, which gives the whole thing a different flavour. It makes for a less interesting read, since there isn't a huge metaplot to piece together from the supplements, but works better as a toolset for GMs wanting to do their own thing.

The mechanics are also a lot better, so much that I use the nWOD ruleset when the nostalgia grips me and I need to revisit Masquerade. There's an official translation guide for the rules too, so it is not exactly an uncommon thing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Looking at that I think a good DLC/big expansion for HOI4 would be one that takes the game into the mid/late 50s and assumes that the Cold War is going to go hot or at least allow you make it do so.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

vyelkin posted:

Maybe there should be some kind of larger system where the AI sets its desired targets for expansion and won't necessarily claim areas outside those (at first, anyway) but will instead sort of save up warscore influence. So Yugoslavia and Bulgaria don't demand anything from Poland despite contributing to the war effort but in return they expect a larger share of the peace than their war effort would normally allow when you're carving up Albania, Greece, and Turkey, for example. Then after achieving those goals the AI could set new expansion targets so they don't just go dormant for the rest of the game.

Assuming you get to carving up Albania/Greece Turkey.

My suggestion is that allies could trade their peace-deal scores for resources or production allowances. That way Bulgaria can just expand their military themselves and take on Turkey if they want to expand that way.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I would expect it to be easier to program the ai like "is this province bordering one of mine by land or is it a valuable port? If not, demand a lend-lease deal or share of the resources"

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Can you demand other stuff than territorial changes and puppet status? Like supplies of resources, control of portion of civilian industry (to represent reparations), marking up demilitarized zones (which would stop others from demanding the state), releasing independent (or puppet states), forced disarmament, regime change, transfer of puppets, etc.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, you read the wrong books, but I can understand where you are coming from. A major shift in nWOD design was not having major canon truths (like the Cain or Wyrm things), replacing them with different contradictory myths, and the politics mostly shifted to regional/city level instead of global conspiracies - and the books are full of awesome local stuff and conflicts -, which gives the whole thing a different flavour. It makes for a less interesting read, since there isn't a huge metaplot to piece together from the supplements, but works better as a toolset for GMs wanting to do their own thing.

The mechanics are also a lot better, so much that I use the nWOD ruleset when the nostalgia grips me and I need to revisit Masquerade. There's an official translation guide for the rules too, so it is not exactly an uncommon thing.

Yeah, I've always loved how mysterious nWOD was. There was a lot of good fluff, too-- I liked the VtR clanbooks in particular. I think the Mekhet book is my favorite WoD book of all, old or new.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The metaplot in oWoD was trash and nWoD improved on that in every way, though I don't think the individual clans were as interesting. hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

We actually track casualties now and that will also factor into your participation score.

Mackus posted:

Ah, so countries who lost a lot of men will have less say than those who had fewer casualties?
Excellent.
I hope it won't be other way around, that would be stupid. Nobody actually felt sorry for those who had their armies or civilians slaughtered when it came to deciding borders.