Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

whats k-on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

durarara is cool and i started asking irish twitter if theyve ever seen any dullahans and they all have fairy stories

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

epitasis posted:

whats k-on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRidgJJ3bE

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Astro Ambulance posted:

Just finished K-ON!
I'm not crying you're crying.

this is the appropriate reaction yes

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Astro Ambulance posted:

Just finished K-ON!
I'm not crying you're crying.

did you watch the movie

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

That poor singer, they made her breathe all that helium.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no way can this make me cry ill bet any amount

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Don't do it friend. You'll get your money, but at what cost?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe Namtab is asleep for this.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

epitasis posted:

durarara is cool and i started asking irish twitter if theyve ever seen any dullahans and they all have fairy stories

Also dullahans are kickass but I've never seen durararara. How dullaheinous does it get?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

durarara is pretty good and one of the main characters is a dullahan and she is awesome and gets plenty of screentime

did you ever watch baccano?

if you liked baccano, durarara is like more baccano but slightly more chill

if you didn't watch baccano go loving watch that poo poo right the gently caress now

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Pavlov posted:

That poor singer, they made her breathe all that helium.

k-on is indeed bad

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I like it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I will stand up for K-On.

K-On is good. The girls eat cake, which is a thing that I like, and they occasionally play music, which is also a thing that I like. Most importantly, they are good friends, which is perhaps my favorite thing. It is funny, and cute, and Mugi is the best and has enormous eyebrows like that guy from FLCL except hers aren't to prevent her forehead penis from coming out, they're just naturally like that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Durarara!! is good whenever it isn't focusing on Mikado, Anri, and Kida.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

epitasis posted:

whats k-on

poo poo anime for poo poo people. Japan's attempt to kill the metal. They failed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMR6pWIoKk

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

K-On is good. The girls eat cake, which is a thing that I like, and they occasionally play music, which is also a thing that I like. Most importantly, they are good friends, which is perhaps my favorite thing. It is funny, and cute, and Mugi is the best and has enormous eyebrows like that guy from FLCL except hers aren't to prevent her forehead penis from coming out, they're just naturally like that.

Well you can sit back down.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Drinkfist posted:

Well you can sit back down.

Actually, he can keep standing up. He can grab some stilts and stand even higher, even.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

metal is bad but pick of destiny owned

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

The Colonel posted:

Actually, he can keep standing up. He can grab some stilts and stand even higher, even.

Good. The fall hurts more that way.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I will fall into the cute fluffiness of k-on, and it will not hurt. Moe cushions landing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Drinkfist posted:

Good. The fall hurts more that way.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

The war on moe rages on.

Preferably in another thread.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

mikado's cool now

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

mikado's cool now
If so that's a recent development, though I guess I am a season behind.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

All of this is good

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

I really, really, REALLY liked Durarara until episode 10 or so.

Then it turned completely aimless, characters get involved by literally randomly passing by all the time, and Anri & Kida are god-tier poo poo characters and where the gently caress did all the chaotic insanity and pacing and fun of the first ten episodes go I mean gently caress

Baccano isn't really the godsend of anime that I thought it was when I first watched it - I think it elevates an Okay story to greatness with absolutely incredible storytelling gimmicks -, but it's MUCH better than... whatever Durarara turned into.
Would Season 2 of Durarara make me hate it less? First episode of S2 seemed to be filled with unfunny/annoying new characters, one potentially cool serial killer and not much else...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Can folks name some manga series that have the atmosphere, quality artwork, and cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic nature of Eden: the endless world, but without being a loving terrible trainwreck? I loved most everything about it outside of the horrible story and plot twists, so if there's something that has all that plus a good plot, that's my jam

Astro Ambulance
Dec 25, 2008

Radio Spiricom posted:

did you watch the movie

yes
i didnt cry again

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Can folks name some manga series that have the atmosphere, quality artwork, and cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic nature of Eden: the endless world, but without being a loving terrible trainwreck? I loved most everything about it outside of the horrible story and plot twists, so if there's something that has all that plus a good plot, that's my jam

It's a pretty long shot, but Pluto comes to mind here. It's not post-apocalyptic and not really cyberpunk either, but it does have some pretty strong dystopian undercurrents. And both artwork and story are superb.

For something closer to your original request, all I can think of is Shirow's stuff (GitS/Appleseed) and maybe Alita, but they are quite different in tone from Eden (and dangerously close to trainwreck status at times as well as far as I'm concerned).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've read GITS/Alita, GITS is sometimes good, Alita is fantastic and one of my favorites. Never tried Appleseed, I'll toss that into the queue. Pluto too. Thanks!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Anri is cool and cute.
Yeah, Kida sucks, but whatever he's just one guy.

Houkago Tea Time and Tenacious D can live together in harmony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDGHei6Nllk

and K-on! is super good, but not necessarily for everyone: much like Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

fezball
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I've read GITS/Alita, GITS is sometimes good, Alita is fantastic and one of my favorites. Never tried Appleseed, I'll toss that into the queue. Pluto too. Thanks!

One more thing that just popped in my mind: Saikano - again quite different from Eden, but it touches very (almost too) effectively on similar themes of loss, regret and people reacting to desparate situations. Beautifully drawn and crushingly depressing at times, there's a pretty decent Anime adaption out as well.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

:pusheen:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

k-on is not my thing at all but at least it's less terrible than lucky star

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

lucky star is a great victory lap for kyoani after the success of haruhi and k-on is good. too

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

mikado's cool now

Not so much "cool" as "gone totally crazy".

I suppose that a compliment in this show.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

I can't believe Namtab is asleep for this.

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I just realized durarararara is the japanese pronunciation for durrrrr

They named their anime durrrrr