Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.
I wanna have a SH/SC thread where we install obscure operating systems like Plan 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I think you had to have seen Twitch Plays Pokemon to get an idea of what's going to happen.

If you watch a few seconds of this you'll get an idea (the stuff flying across the screen in the middle is all of the commands people are spamming, ignore the chat on the right) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY-4itAGyRU

The only thing is I don't really know how the Twitch Plays thing chose what command to use. Pretty sure it was a lot less orderly than "highest rated wins" like the Arch Linux thing is gonna do?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I think you had to have seen Twitch Plays Pokemon to get an idea of what's going to happen.

If you watch a few seconds of this you'll get an idea (the stuff flying across the screen in the middle is all of the commands people are spamming, ignore the chat on the right) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY-4itAGyRU

The only thing is I don't really know how the Twitch Plays thing chose what command to use. Pretty sure it was a lot less orderly than "highest rated wins" like the Arch Linux thing is gonna do?

yeah it queued up the commands, don't' think it did any picking/choosing, although commands did get dropped/missed often, so i dunno if it just got bogged down or if it did actually pick the command because 10 people said to do it next instead of 9 for a different command.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

MF_James posted:

yeah it queued up the commands, don't' think it did any picking/choosing, although commands did get dropped/missed often, so i dunno if it just got bogged down or if it did actually pick the command because 10 people said to do it next instead of 9 for a different command.

I'd guess its mostly a product of chance, when the key is ready to be received by whatever interface they used to emulate the game the key that's next in line goes in. And it drops all others.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

From the webpage:

quote:

Every ten seconds, the most popular keystroke in Twitch chat will be entered into an Arch Linux virtual machine.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

:vince:

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I just applied to a company with two multiple-CCIE holders now I feel scared.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Anyone ever notice how there's a lot of people working in IT named Tom? And Dave?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

psydude posted:

Anyone ever notice how there's a lot of people working in IT named Tom? And Dave?

No one named Tom or Dave in my 40+ person IT department!

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

No one named Tom or Dave in my 40+ person IT department!

I think more than half of my customers have a Tom or a Dave. It gets confusing.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We had like 4 daves. No Tom though.

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

MF_James posted:

We had like 4 daves. No Tom though.

I currently employ 3 Venkats.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

psydude posted:

Michael/Mike's been the most common for my dept, that's about 1/4 of everyone.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Dark Helmut posted:

My client has a venkat employed!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im on call this week and there are no planned upgrades or installs to our software or hardware :toot:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

psydude posted:

The company that owns one of our clients has a domain controller named Tom.

And another named Jerry.

:suicide:

They're all like that, and the weirdest part is it's a buttoned down financial environment, not exactly where you'd expect to find "funny" server names.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I've worked with a really disproportionate number of Brian/Bryan's over the years. More than once it was two of them on like a 5 person team.

In a surprising reversal, I'm actually the only white male on my current team. So that really cuts down on the usual name overlap :v:

Potato Alley posted:

The company that owns one of our clients has a domain controller named Tom.

And another named Jerry.

At my last job, the two DBA's were Stephen and Tyler. We made the obvious reference at every possible opportunity.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

We briefly discussed the EMC/VMware buyout but what's left scratching my head is why?

I understand Dell's perspective, over half of their revenue is bread and butter PCs a market that's been shrinking. Mobile Devices, Apple and now even Microsoft is making their own end-user hardware.

The EMC/VMware buyout at first makes sense, Dell solidifies it's position into SMB/Enterprise market that isn't shrinking - or is it? Storage and Virtualization are quickly becoming commodities.

What am I missing here?

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

Eonwe posted:

im on call this week and there are no planned upgrades or installs to our software or hardware :toot:

I feel different actually about being the on-call weekend guy. I can't really "go out" or take a day trip somewhere, so I'm sort of tied to home. I do it once a quarter, and I actually don't mind having work to do over the weekend and I try to schedule an upgrade or two to get done. Otherwise when I'm not on-call, I love my weekends and absolutely stay away from doing weekend work.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

What am I missing here?
Cloud.

Dell didn't just buy the existing intellectual property and market share, they bought the employees who can use that IP and knowledge to make them a cloud provider.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

adorai posted:

Cloud.

Dell didn't just buy the existing intellectual property and market share, they bought the employees who can use that IP and knowledge to make them a cloud provider.

Because Helion was such a huge success!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I can't think of a better way to spend Halloween.
This is going to be awesome.

I am so lame.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Because Helion was such a huge success!
OpenStack is a ghetto wreck, but VMware's tech portfolio could be pretty brutally monetized as a service in the right hands. As for whether Dell are the people to do that? Probably not.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah I sort of have a feeling that anyone wanting to set out and do something a bit different in the cloud space isn't going to be sat waiting around at Dell to get the chance to give it a try.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

The EMC/VMware buyout at first makes sense, Dell solidifies it's position into SMB/Enterprise market that isn't shrinking - or is it? Storage and Virtualization are quickly becoming commodities.

What am I missing here?

Somebody has to sell the hardware those commodities run on, and high volume, low profit has been Dell's plan for a long time. They can sell full stack alongside Cisco and Oracle now

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dark Helmut posted:

I work with three Venkatas.

I only work with two over email, but the third is a really cool dude.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Venkats are cool cats.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
a long time ago when i worked the third shift helpdesk, i would often get called by "venkie". "Venkie" assumed i knew who he was, even though i was unable to differentiate him from the 400 other "venkies" i was regularly called by.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I have in my group a Chetan, Chandan, and Charan.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

psydude posted:

My Team Lead is named Tom, and my Asst Team Lead is named Tom. Rather than use their last name we just named them T1 and T2 and actually call them by that. Works out pretty well, actually.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

My Team Lead is named Tom, and my Asst Team Lead is named Tom. Rather than use their last name we just named them T1 and T2 and actually call them by that. Works out pretty well, actually.
Out of curiousity, how many people are on your team that you need an assistant team lead?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well clearly it's not a big enough team to have a tier 1 or tier 2. :v:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

adorai posted:

Out of curiousity, how many people are on your team that you need an assistant team lead?

We're DoD contractors to the Air Force. Team is made up of 11 people, including the leads, and we handle the network infrastructure, physical hardware, storage, and virtualization for our portion of the AFNET (something like 200,000 mailboxes). Leadership is actually quite top-heavy, which I suppose is the norm for contractors (don't blame me - I just work here. I didn't make the job assignments). They've been the team lead and asst team lead for as long as I've been here, which was March of 2013 to present.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

Someone with a Twitter send Lowtax that "There is no cloud" image.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchinstallsarchlinux
Has been going on for a few hours now. They're currently struggling to enter the root password they set earlier.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

They ended up having to pull the steam because someone created a massive enough series of Twitch accounts to bot them with the feed to attempt malicious commands. The bots ended up getting a majority and it's way. Fortunately it didn't get too far.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The internet ruins everything.

mewse
May 2, 2006

What did they think was going to happen

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mewse posted:

https://youtu.be/XQmBXEZEYtg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

mewse posted:

I know what you mean, but I also hate that this is how things work.

"Here's a thing. I will ruin it." thanks internet, you're basically useless.