Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timebandit
Mar 22, 2004

The Polish Pirate posted:

I think the biggest problem is that Joanna Newsom is adamantly against subscription services, so a lot of her potential audience doesn't get to hear her new stuff.

Quoted for truth. Still bought tickets for the December 9th show though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Both times I've seen Sigur Ros, it's been standing room only, and the second time was standing outdoors in the rain. I wouldn't have it any other way.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Ravenfood posted:

No idea whether this thread works, but Josh Ritter's live show is pretty loving sweet. He looks so drat happy to be singing and playing on the stage its infectious, and I liked the live version of most of his new songs more than the album.

one of my friends has been trying to sell me on Josh Ritter for the last like two years and for some reason I never really gave him a proper shot

so of course now, like four days after Josh Ritter played a tiny venue in Brooklyn, I am listening to Historical Conquests and realizing how loving good this dude is. Oh well. He's coming back and playing the Beacon Theater in February, and while that's infinitely larger, at least he seems like the kind of musician where it might be nice to sit down for once

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

abraham linksys posted:

one of my friends has been trying to sell me on Josh Ritter for the last like two years and for some reason I never really gave him a proper shot

so of course now, like four days after Josh Ritter played a tiny venue in Brooklyn,

This happens to me all of the time. Went to pitchfork fest, skipped Sharon Van Etten and Deafheaven because I hadn't really listened to them, and then two months later I'm like what have I done :doh:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Sharon is the coolest and my crush on her knows no bounds

I've been lucky enough to see her in two pretty unique situations (please pardon the brag): first was last summer when she played two songs on piano and did a brief interview inside MSR Studios in midtown New York, and then a couple weeks ago when she and Dee-Dee from Dum Dum Girls DJed for a bar down in Chinatown. Totally sweet person with terrific music to match

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Sharon's been my indie rock crush since Pitchfork told me to listen to Tramp

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Oh man, the first time I ever saw Sharon Van Etten live was at the upstairs lounge of Pianos in the early afternoon during CMJ six years back. There were only a couple dozen people there and pretty much the only reason why anyone showed up at all was for the free beer. One of the first songs that she performed that day was Give Out. I was transfixed; her voice had so much emotion behind it and I really connected with those lyrics. I was really glad to see that she eventually gave that song a proper recording and released it on Tramp.

Eskaton
Aug 13, 2014
Why isn't Paul Baribeau more popular?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQCXFdyrpwY

Also, I drove 3.5 hours south to Detroit to go to a Nana Grizol show, then one of my friends bitched out so I didn't see it. Evidently just because your neighbor's friend was raped not too far from the event plus a few active gangs in the area are good reasons to not enjoy a show.

Eskaton fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 29, 2015

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Has anyone else had a chance to listen to Julien Baker's debut album? It's some heartbreaking stuff.

Julien Baker - Something

endlosnull
Dec 29, 2006

Just got back from Grimes and it was actually really good. I went back to watch the video from that Beach Goth Day 1 just now and her in that video is legit not very good but she was a lot better today. It definitely didn't seem she was forcing herself to do everything. She didn't even play Flesh Without Blood, but she played Scream, Venus Fly, Kill v Maim, and a new mix of Realiti from the new album, Go and Phone Sex, as well as the older stuff and a new mix of Be A Body. I had a good time.

endlosnull fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 29, 2015

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012
Shearwater recently announced their new album Jetplane and Oxbow. I've been looking forward to this. It's been a while since Animal Joy came out in 2012. Meiburg has said that this will be a louder album, and the first single bears that out.

http://pitchfork.com/news/61699-shearwater-announce-new-album-jet-plane-and-oxbow-share-quiet-americans/

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

As someone who loved the poo poo out of Rook and Palo Santo I'm not really feeling the electronic instrumentation here.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Scream by Grimes is out on Spotify now. Short and snappy and in Mandarin.

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

I really warmed up to Flesh Without Blood, but Scream is doing nothing for me. Like a less fun Die Antwoord.

Slandible fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 30, 2015

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY
Anyone seen Deafheaven? I'd like to see them but it would end up being alone, I know they're metal but they've had some crossover appeal...

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I saw them open for pallbearer last summer and they were great and I really love deafheaven. New album is so good. Brought to the water and baby blue are insane.

I really want to see them again in support of New Bermuda but Nashville is not metal country

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

T Bowl posted:

Anyone seen Deafheaven? I'd like to see them but it would end up being alone, I know they're metal but they've had some crossover appeal...

I'm literally on my way to their show right now.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Slandible posted:

I really warmed up to Flesh Without Blood, but Scream is doing nothing for me. Like a less fun Die Antwoord.

It's a cool concept, but the song doesn't really take off until 1:40 and then its all but over 25 seconds later. Based on these first three singles I have no expectations for any kind of album cohesiveness.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw Metric and Modest Mouse tonight at a festival. First time seeing both of them live. Modest Mouse played an extended version of Doin' The Cockroach complete with some improv jamming and Isaac Brock singing an extra verse into his guitar pickups, which is something I'd been wanting to see for myself since I was 14 years old. So basically what I'm saying is I can die happy now.

Metric was real cool too. Lots of costume changes, all of which looked rad. Emily Haines is so gorgeous :allears: They didn't play Hustle Rose which I really wanted to hear, but they played other stuff I wanted to hear like Gold Guns Girls and Help I'm Alive.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Is this where we can talk about the EL VY album? Because it rules. EL VY is a side project started by The National frontman Matt Berninger. The vocals are the same as ever, but they still manage to forge a sound of their own and it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFCZGqPx4Gg

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

I just got back from a Sufjan show where he ended the night by covering Drake's Hotline Bling with the opening act, Gallant. Happy Halloween!

Next day edit: looks like it's making the rounds on the blogs - http://pitchfork.com/news/61902-sufjan-stevens-covers-drakes-hotline-bling/

interpunct fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Nov 1, 2015

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
The new Deerhunter album is insanely bad. This track in particular sounds like something you'd hear in a car commercial. Well, that's my indie rock opinion. Thanks for reading.

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006

Real Name Grover posted:

As someone who loved the poo poo out of Rook and Palo Santo I'm not really feeling the electronic instrumentation here.

Yeah, the biggest appeal of Shearwater for me is just hearing Meiburg tower over the symphonic arrangements, and he's kind of buried by the production in the new single. I'm still excited to hear the album, though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is this where we can talk about the EL VY album? Because it rules. EL VY is a side project started by The National frontman Matt Berninger. The vocals are the same as ever, but they still manage to forge a sound of their own and it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFCZGqPx4Gg

I don't know. I'm only half way through it and I kind of feel like it's a missed opportunity for both of their talents. The songs are just kind of meandering bores right now.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Yeah it's a little up-and-down to me. Like, it's a fulfilled curiosity, but I'd agree that "meandering" is an appropriate word.

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?

gentle pete posted:

The new Deerhunter album is insanely bad. This track in particular sounds like something you'd hear in a car commercial. Well, that's my indie rock opinion. Thanks for reading.

This is a correct opinion. Snakeskin or whatever is really good. The rest of the album is just boring. I was excited after hearing that track and so let down.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I don't know. I'm only half way through it and I kind of feel like it's a missed opportunity for both of their talents. The songs are just kind of meandering bores right now.

I dunno, there was something about the simpler melodies I found appealing but I'll agree that it could feel a bit meandering.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

interpunct posted:

I just got back from a Sufjan show where he ended the night by covering Drake's Hotline Bling with the opening act, Gallant. Happy Halloween!

Next day edit: looks like it's making the rounds on the blogs - http://pitchfork.com/news/61902-sufjan-stevens-covers-drakes-hotline-bling/

He did the same with Gallant last night in Baltimore. His explanation was great: "we've been singing about death all night long, let's at least give you an upbeat song to leave on." Awesome show all around.

Since the Blue Bucket of Gold remix was released I'm hoping for Fourth of July to get the same treatment, the live version was :stare: we're all going to die...

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
My mom is obsessed with CHVRCHES right now. She is 45. She calls the band "intellectual tamponboycore" She says Lauren is smarter than other artists because she has songs that make you want to block twitter accounts and chill. She has gone to one of CHVRCHES concerts recently. She talks about Lauren constantly to everyone she knows including me. She has been spinning The Bones of What You Believe and Every Open Eye constantly she bought lately and she songs along to them.Here is a conversation we had the other day:
Her: (on Twitter) the mother we share will never keep your proud head from falling
Me: What are you on about mum
Her: Block.She ignored me. She never listens to me. She never has. I am a neglected child. My grandma is more of a mom to me. I'm worried she'll die soon and I'll lose it. Please grow up mom, I need you to

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

gentle pete posted:

"Insanely bad" is a tad of an overstatement. Like, I don't think its a bad album. It's just not a memorable one. Considering the sheer amount of great music that's come from Deerhunter/Atlas Sound, it feels like a bigger disappointment than it actually is.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lastgirl posted:

My mom is obsessed with CHVRCHES right now. She is 45. She calls the band "intellectual tamponboycore" She says Lauren is smarter than other artists because she has songs that make you want to block twitter accounts and chill. She has gone to one of CHVRCHES concerts recently. She talks about Lauren constantly to everyone she knows including me. She has been spinning The Bones of What You Believe and Every Open Eye constantly she bought lately and she songs along to them.Here is a conversation we had the other day:
Her: (on Twitter) the mother we share will never keep your proud head from falling
Her: Block.She ignored me. She never listens to me. She never has. I am a neglected child. My grandma is more of a mom to me. I'm worried she'll die soon and I'll lose it. Please grow up mom, I need you to
:worship:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Lastgirl posted:

Grats on your awesome mom.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
This is nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW-pFoYgaUs

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

The Jumpoff posted:

Grats on your awesome mom.

Introduce your mom to Grimes.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

Lastgirl posted:

If you don't want your mom I'll take her.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/new-music/discovery/san-fermin-share-their-woodwind-laced-cover-of-weezers-buddy-holly-premiere

San Fermin covered "Buddy Holly" which almost kinda sorta sounds like something they might have done in the first place.

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Real Name Grover posted:

http://www.thelineofbestfit.com/new-music/discovery/san-fermin-share-their-woodwind-laced-cover-of-weezers-buddy-holly-premiere

San Fermin covered "Buddy Holly" which almost kinda sorta sounds like something they might have done in the first place.

They've covered it live before, so the cover getting a proper recording wasn't completely out of the blue.

Edit: I saw Ra Ra Riot last night for the first time in over two years. They're still really solid and previewed a few new songs. They also covered Carly Rae Jepsen, which maybe only a handful of people there actually recognized. Hopefully the new album they're working on isn't as disappointing as Beta Love.

interpunct fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Nov 4, 2015

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
The frontwoman from Screaming Females just dropped a surprise record from her post-punk side project, Noun, and holy poo poo it slays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4msOQEiXTUE

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Excellent news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW_qnfznUqA

turnip kid fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Nov 7, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

The frontwoman from Screaming Females just dropped a surprise record from her post-punk side project, Noun, and holy poo poo it slays

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4msOQEiXTUE
This is good poo poo.

Also, Screaming Females' live show is pretty loving amazing