Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
And if your cold war somehow gets out of hand it just loads up the After the End mod for CK2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Don't set a hard end-date at all, make the game end whenever somebody invents the ICBM and/or when they develop enough nuclear bombs to wipe out the largest nation still in play. Until then, endless conventional war.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
so, thread title: has there been any news about V3

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Popular Thug Drink posted:

I don't think Nazi superweapons are making it into HoI4, sorry.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ofaloaf posted:

I don't think Nazi superweapons are making it into HoI4, sorry.

aren't you the guy that does the after the end mod

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Part of the team, yeah. What regional quirk has been misrepresented now?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Make a Fallout-flavored modmod or I will lose the ability to feel human and turn into a feral ghoul.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

It's called Stellaris and it looks p good

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ofaloaf posted:

it's a great mod, i like it very much. keep up the good work yall :)

some of the city names in north georgia are kind of pulled out of a hat but i mean what the heck it's the future, right

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

it's a great mod, i like it very much. keep up the good work yall :)

some of the city names in north georgia are kind of pulled out of a hat but i mean what the heck it's the future, right
A lot of names in the South in general were picked because I looked at Google Maps and just selected the first towns I found when looking in an area. Or because a Civil War battle was fought there. Or the name sounded neat.

It was an arbitrary process.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i managed to create the tuskegan kingdom of dixieland and overthrow the columbian confederacy from within, that was fun

also new york and san francisco are fun to play

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Ofaloaf posted:

Not enough Bigfoot.

I love AtE, it is good work.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fintilgin posted:

I think a 'sandbox' DLC would be crazy fun too. Have the game randomly generate semi-balanced nations named off regions like the EUIV generator, so you've got Red Texas fighting fascist Chicago in the Great Plains or whatever. Paradox is nuts if they don't do something fun like that. Especially now that they have more robust AI and peace making rules.
I would go bananas if they announced this.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

And if your cold war somehow gets out of hand it just loads up the After the End mod for CK2.
That would be an amazing transition.

Ofaloaf posted:

After The End was my favorite CKII mod by far before I got burned out on it. And now there are all these new expansions and I am intimidated by the game.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fuligin posted:

Cold War DLC is a nifty idea but I can't imagine how it would work in practice, you just run into the same problem as East VS West, that postwar -> present isn't really about HoIs style mass warfare.

It is up until the late 1950s though if you just make a pure lead up into world war 3 scenario.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

HoI seems pretty focused on a singular climax though, with the game being built upon escalating tensions and war, with a mad dash to the finish to end it in the way most favorable to your side, followed by a peace conference to wind things back down again. That's basically a standard three act structure, and adding a bunch of Cold War at the end seems to me like I would just drag the game out without anything to really compare to the excitement of the war itself. If you wanted to expand on that it would be some Operation Unthinkable thing, which would work within the existing structure, rather than be some weird extra thing at the end. That seems like it's already there actually, going by the last few words in the DD, but it could probably be expanded upon.

Agreed that the last DD seemed to imply mechanics for after the end of war. Though I suppose we still have to see whether that's going to have a big impact at the end of the World War or be more meaningful for ending the European/Pacific theatres or other smaller conflicts. If there is an endgame planned after the World War, it would be interesting to see multiple possibilities like a Cold War, or Operation Unthinkable, or whatever other possible outcomes.

Haven't played anything in the HOI series before, but from what we've seen so far I'm excited for HOI4!

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Um, well, okay then.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

HoI4 will have three endings. When you win the war you'll see an event dialog with three color coded options. If you pick red, you try to annihilate the other factions with nuclear weapons, but if you don't have enough VPs you destroy all life on Earth. If you pick blue, you build a superweapon that lets you mind control the other factions by uploading your head of state's brain. If you have enough VPs you can pick green, which lets you forcibly merge your head of state's DNA to everyone on the planet, bringing peace to the world.

No matter which one you pick, the whole planet starves to death because each ending incidentally destroys all forms of transportation.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

HoI4 will have three endings. When you win the war you'll see an event dialog with three color coded options. If you pick red, you try to annihilate the other factions with nuclear weapons, but if you don't have enough VPs you destroy all life on Earth. If you pick blue, you build a superweapon that lets you mind control the other factions by uploading your head of state's brain. If you have enough VPs you can pick green, which lets you forcibly merge your head of state's DNA to everyone on the planet, bringing peace to the world.

No matter which one you pick, the whole planet starves to death because each ending incidentally destroys all forms of transportation.

Also Mussolini, Patton and Seth Green barely escape the shockwave, only to crash land on a new Eden...

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Westminster System posted:

Um, well, okay then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish-speaking_population_of_Finland

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Um, well, okay then.

Are you surprised by the fact that Finland is a GP, or that it's ruled by the Swedish party?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Um, well, okay then.

"Svenska partiet"

Monkey's Paw, I suppose.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

"Corporate Industrialism". That the national value or something? Been a while since I played Vicky 2. Which mod is that? New Nations? PDM?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Randarkman posted:

"Corporate Industrialism". That the national value or something? Been a while since I played Vicky 2. Which mod is that? New Nations? PDM?

Their tech focus- gives them a bonus to Corporate Techs and Industrial techs, but a penalty to culture and army (I think)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Bort Bortles posted:

I would go bananas if they announced this.

It'd be great, particularly because it would let you fight in unusual places that don't see any WW2 action normally.

You'd probably want to raise infrastructure in some harsh areas like Africa just to make them more interesting to fight over. Distribute factories and stuff balanced/random, so Seville could be an industrial powerhouse while the Ruhr is poor. It'd be fun!

Add in the random maps from EUIV if you wanted to get really wild. :shepface:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fintilgin posted:

It'd be great, particularly because it would let you fight in unusual places that don't see any WW2 action normally.

You'd probably want to raise infrastructure in some harsh areas like Africa just to make them more interesting to fight over. Distribute factories and stuff balanced/random, so Seville could be an industrial powerhouse while the Ruhr is poor. It'd be fun!

Add in the random maps from EUIV if you wanted to get really wild. :shepface:

Basically, give us RandomHoI TFH, make it 5$ and you'll make millions.

(Seriously, RandomHoI is a very good, underrated, random generator for HoI3.)

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Fintilgin posted:

If that article is right and Paradox really had 500 million in sales this year, they could probably just flat out fund an Obsidian Vampire RPG, and not even bother with kickstarter.

One thing I'd like to see is a Vampire: The Dark Ages game in the vein of Crusader Kings. I think that'd be pretty drat awesome

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Adding good Cold War mechanics to HoI4 would be a bad thing because i already plan to waste hundreds of hours in Stellaris and i'm already ashamed of my gametime hours in EU4

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Drone posted:

Are you surprised by the fact that Finland is a GP, or that it's ruled by the Swedish party?

The GP part, considering it was my puppet.

I guess inviting them to my wars when I didn't even need them just buffed their prestige. But yeah, I've never seen a GP Finland before.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

The GP part, considering it was my puppet.

Puppets and especially spherelings can and will worm their way out of your control, especially if they get a ton of prestige early in the game. It's always a fun game as Prussia when Bavaria becomes a great power.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Don't add cold war mechanics. Just give the fans what they've been asking for decades and let us put missiles in submarines.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Just please add a national focus tree for Germany where time travelers eliminate Hitler from existence.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Kavak posted:

Puppets and especially spherelings can and will worm their way out of your control, especially if they get a ton of prestige early in the game. It's always a fun game as Prussia when Bavaria becomes a great power.

I know I know, it was just a surprise, especially as I've never seen it.

Sweden promptly wrecked them when they unallied me though so, RIP Finland.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Takanago posted:

Just please add a national focus tree for Germany where Einstein, acting as a Soviet Assassin, eliminates Hitler from existence with a handshake.

Please do this.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Kavak posted:

Despite never moving beyond a conservative monarchy and being at 50% literacy by 1910, my released and sphered Hungry was constantly just at the edge of Great Power status while playing as the South German Confederation. Once they managed to slip in to 8th, immediately became allies with North Germany and England and declared war on me for Croatia. Some friends...

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Takanago posted:

Just please add a national focus tree for Germany where time travelers eliminate Hitler from existence.

Put it in a patch that allows for soviet super science, British werewolf commandos, and the US to field Literal Navajo windtalkers, whos ancient rituals ward off the Japanese oni-focused offensive.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Agean90 posted:

Put it in a patch that allows for soviet super science, British werewolf commandos, and the US to field Literal Navajo windtalkers, whos ancient rituals ward off the Japanese oni-focused offensive.

I am actually going to try my hardest to do a mod that adds Gear Krieg inspired mecha (http://www.dp9.com/gearkrieg) to the game, and they have a few other super-science units like that that might fit.

The problem, I've discovered, is that it's really hard to translate neat super-science stuff to a strategic level. Like German zombie-soldiers have strategic value (no manpower cost for lovely but spammable divisions? Sure), but how do you do rocket-troopers at a division level?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Paratroopers who dont require a plane to to launch an airborn assault.

Give them general mobility bonuses and a combat bonus in hills and mountains, with a matching malus in forests and jungles.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Despite never moving beyond a conservative monarchy and being at 50% literacy by 1910, my released and sphered Hungry was constantly just at the edge of Great Power status while playing as the South German Confederation. Once they managed to slip in to 8th, immediately became allies with North Germany and England and declared war on me for Croatia. Some friends...

Kind of like how Mexico reached Rank #8 in my non-violent US playthrough and I promptly threw everything out the window to drive them back down into secondary power status.

On a similar note, am I the only one who thinks of literacy as a general level of education? Like 100% literacy is all college graduates or something. Because having it as a percentage for even single digit pops is weird.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Kavak posted:

Is Bavaria becoming a GP not a normal thing to happen in Viccy 2? It happened in my first proper game and I thought things could normally go like that. They kicked the poo poo out of Prussia multiple times even with no allies. It was really funny and kinda sad at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Another Person posted:

Is Bavaria becoming a GP not a normal thing to happen in Viccy 2? It happened in my first proper game and I thought things could normally go like that. They kicked the poo poo out of Prussia multiple times even with no allies. It was really funny and kinda sad at the same time.

It can happen, though Prussia losing to them not so much. Who knows, Vicky II's AI can bungle even the surest wars.