Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Same with Winds of Winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

kcroy posted:

As an aside - I thought this was a Sanderson book, but I can't find it... There was a book series where giant dragon / insects are rising from their slumber. And I think all magic in the world requires drawing from an unknown person? One of the twists is that our female protagonist is a mage ( which is rare ) and I think she is drawing life from someone she falls in love with. A prince. Anyone know what book that is?

You miiiight be remembering Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, although it's a tenuous comparison. It also wasn't a very good series.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kylaer posted:

You miiiight be remembering Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series, although it's a tenuous comparison. It also wasn't a very good series.

cocoavalley posted:

This description mostly kind of fits Tehanu, (the last book from the Earthsea Cycle), could it be that? Though I suppose a lot of fantasy series have a combination of these things.

obsessed about this - tracked it down. It's this book - really didn't like it, very forgettable. Which is unfortunate, because I like CS Friedman. Her coldfire stuff feels a bit YA for me, but I really liked it when I was younger. Well at least the first book was solid.

So forgettable in fact, I read it while in the hospital.. and like 3 years later bought it again, because I had forgotten I'd read it. But who knows, maybe that was the meds I was on.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

savinhill posted:

It's definitely the publishers, they suck and hate us. The book's been finished for awhile now, the guy who runs the Second Apocalypse Bakker forums got to read a long time ago now.

What is the hold up? Any idea?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

kcroy posted:

obsessed about this - tracked it down. It's this book - really didn't like it, very forgettable. Which is unfortunate, because I like CS Friedman. Her coldfire stuff feels a bit YA for me, but I really liked it when I was younger. Well at least the first book was solid.

So forgettable in fact, I read it while in the hospital.. and like 3 years later bought it again, because I had forgotten I'd read it. But who knows, maybe that was the meds I was on.
The Magister series was so, so weirdly bad compared to some of her other stuff. I read it all because I kept thinking it was going to get better.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I read the first 2 or 3 of these when I was a kid and remember them being good: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_Magic
Did anyone else read them. Is it worth tracking down and reading the other books mentioned on the wiki? I'm almost done with The Culture and I think I want to switch over to some fantasy for a while next.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

kcroy posted:

What is the hold up? Any idea?

IIRC, his main publishing company had some big management/exec shakeup, or something very similar, go down, with the result being that fantasy lit is no longer a priority for them and another result is that both Bakker & his fans are hosed & cockblocked at the same time.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

savinhill posted:

IIRC, his main publishing company had some big management/exec shakeup, or something very similar, go down, with the result being that fantasy lit is no longer a priority for them and another result is that both Bakker & his fans are hosed & cockblocked at the same time.
I also heard/read somewhere that the shakeup resulted in his previous editors leaving Overlook Press and so getting someone new take over and get up to speed is a great ordeal (heh). Also, that sales were weaker in the US than pretty much everywhere else, so Overlook isn't really motivated to get the book out. Bakker recently updated his blog to say that there's a tentative July 2016 release planned and Amazon has pre-orders available for "The Great Ordeal" shipping July 5th, 2016.

At least we know it's finished. Bakker's hinted that there will be two sequel novels after The Unholy Consult/The Great Ordeal but I'll be satisfied with a conclusion to the current trilogy. As for ASoIaF, I guess it's a running joke now but I'll be amazed if GRRM publishes Dream of Spring before he dies/retires. I'll be even more amazed if I still care enough to read it, given that it'll be years after HBO finished the story. It must suck for GRRM knowing that GoT is not only going to beat him to the punch, but be the definitive version of ASoIaF in popular imagination.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

the trump tutelage posted:

It must suck for GRRM knowing that GoT is not only going to beat him to the punch, but be the definitive version of ASoIaF in popular imagination.

I suspect he'll get over it.

His readership is at an all time high, his net worth has probably quintupled, and he looks like a nobel laureate compared to the people writing the adaptation.

It sucks for his fans, not him. Because he's an absolute fucker.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Kylaer posted:

The first book was fun. I mean, pokemons + roman empire fun... and then everyone went supersaiyan in the latter books. Sometimes I wonder how could anyone make that combination boring as hell but Butcher succeeded.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

savinhill posted:

This sort of pisses me off. How loving hard is it to publish the book once you have it :(

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Man I just reread those books this year and this is still dragging on...

I wanna know what's up with Ishual and Golgotterath and ahhh

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Man I just reread those books this year and this is still dragging on...

I wanna know what's up with Ishual and Golgotterath and ahhh

Ishterebinth, I'm dying to know just what the last organized group of Non Men are up to, oh, and where Akka's dreams are headed, Bakker seems to save some of his sickest poo poo for them.

I hope the July 2016 date holds true cuz I know I'm gonna break down and listen to the audiobooks again soon

savinhill fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 28, 2015

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

cocoavalley posted:

This description mostly kind of fits Tehanu, (the last book from the Earthsea Cycle), could it be that? Though I suppose a lot of fantasy series have a combination of these things.

Though it's subtitle is, in fact, "The Last Book of Earthsea", it is not the last book in the Earthsea Cycle. That would be The Other Wind, which is a direct sequel to Tehanu. Earthsea rocks, though, and Tehanu is a pretty great book, though quite a dramatic departure from the more adventurous earlier books. It's a smaller-scale and quite a bit darker.

If you want some real solid fantasy and haven't read Earthsea, it's good.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Blind Sally posted:

Though it's subtitle is, in fact, "The Last Book of Earthsea", it is not the last book in the Earthsea Cycle. That would be The Other Wind, which is a direct sequel to Tehanu. Earthsea rocks, though, and Tehanu is a pretty great book, though quite a dramatic departure from the more adventurous earlier books. It's a smaller-scale and quite a bit darker.

Yeah, so far I've really enjoyed Le Guin's other works too. They stuck in my mind long after reading them, though it's been long enough that I mushed the events from The Other Wind into Tales from Earthsea :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Blind Sally posted:

Still haven't read Earthsea and I should get around to it. Doing so means I'll procrastinate on giving Malazan another shot though. Probably still worth it I guess?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Heck yeah, it's worth it. Earthsea rocks. I haven't read Malazan, so I can't speak to that.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.
I really think that Earthsea is some of the best fantasy ever written, right up the with LotR. Her prose is so subtle and simple, but the structure and the rhythm of the books is incredibly moving.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Still haven't read Earthsea and I should get around to it. Doing so means I'll procrastinate on giving Malazan another shot though. Probably still worth it I guess?

Malazan is my actual favorite series.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006
So did HBO just delay the GoT to give gurm more time to get his book published?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
They delayed until 2020?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

i81icu812 posted:

:lol:

HBO would tell him to gently caress off and play with the swimming pool of money they gave him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lycus posted:

They delayed until 2020 the heat death of the universe?

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

i81icu812 posted:

source please!

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
TBH KellyC on fire fam

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

First result for "hbo game of thrones delay" http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2015/10/game-of-thrones-season-6-delayed

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
It's possible that they'll hold Game of Thrones back a month or so to run their new show. Then nerds jumped the gun, as they are wont to do.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They are delaying the show a whopping 2-3 weeks. If they are pushing it back for the book that means they would have to have an ironclad date for the book's release of like that 2nd/3rd week week of April. But it seems unrealistic this far out that they would have this information but not be able to rush the printing any faster.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
They're trying to delay the entire house of cards falling apart for a few more weeks. Eventually they'll have to come clean, GRRM died last year, the publisher has been trying to cover it up with an impersonator going to a few appearances, and a team of interns managing the blog. All that was found on his computer was the phrase "Words are wind" repeated for 500 pages.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Before DwD came out, there was a preview chapter of tyrion asking where whores go in Illryio's manse, but he never tried to commit suicide. I can't find that version of the preview chapter so I can't confirm whether I just never noticed it or he made it less subtle.

All through the boot no matter how bad things get tyrion keeps bringing up the poison mushrooms in his loving boot so I'm pretty sure it's going to be used sometime. It's the breaking bad ricin at this point, he's mentioned it so much.

Who is he going to poison? Danerys? Foreshadowed by the honeyed locusts? How do you ask a queen to eat a fungus you keep in your loving boot for a year.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Well then I will be the first to say George Lucas/ George R R Martin similarities. Both of them sayin' goodbye to the franchise.

Well, George gets more money.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Krinkle posted:

Before DwD came out, there was a preview chapter of tyrion asking where whores go in Illryio's manse, but he never tried to commit suicide. I can't find that version of the preview chapter so I can't confirm whether I just never noticed it or he made it less subtle.

All through the boot no matter how bad things get tyrion keeps bringing up the poison mushrooms in his loving boot so I'm pretty sure it's going to be used sometime. It's the breaking bad ricin at this point, he's mentioned it so much.

Who is he going to poison? Danerys? Foreshadowed by the honeyed locusts? How do you ask a queen to eat a fungus you keep in your loving boot for a year.

He already used the mushrooms to poison Nurse near the end of ADWD.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

gently caress. Alright. Mystery solved then. I meant book instead of boot, for one of those boots, also, to boot.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Considering GoT is basically the biggest thing in the history of HBO I wouldn't believe anything along the lines of "we delayed it to premiere some new show" regardless of what the show is. Giving GRRM 2-3 weeks because he claims he will have TWOW read to release then? Maybe, but getting the next season out before TWOW (or having the book come out during the season's airing) would be much better for HBO itself.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Mebbe they just went "We advancing the plot now, gimme ten million."

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Evil Fluffy posted:

I gave up on Malazan after Deadhouse Gates. There are some interesting ideas in there, but it just became kind of tedious. Like, each of the first two books could have been half as long and I wouldn't have felt that I missed anything.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

http://www.twitch.tv/bobross

George RR Martin is sitting in for Bob Ross and talking about "Lemon Yellow"

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
HBO could give two shits about when TWOW comes out. They delayed to make a little space for the new series.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Also remember that Book 5 came out a few months after Season 1 premiered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That was also with what was likely intense pressure from HBO and the publisher. Now that HBO has their hit in the can and the remaining bullet points of the story they don't give a gently caress what GRRM does.