Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I mean if Umbrella Corps really is like 20 bucks I'll probably buy it just because the couple melee moves we've seen have looked neat. ORC was a neat concept with a terrible execution, so maybe Umbrella Corps can do it marginally better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"
Anyone know if there's a way to do mercenaries with more than two players in RE6 without rolling back versions? I've found a bunch of methods but they all seem to require the downgrade or are just out of date.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Doesn't Sectus' manager work fine on the latest version?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

New Umbrella Corps trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwvzeeXeFQc

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Animations look a bit floaty but I think it looks kinda fun.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I was laughing pretty hard when the dude crawled through the group of zombies right off the bat, but they were talking about some sort of jammer later that I guess makes you near invisible to them. Seems like it could be fun.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mogomra posted:

I was laughing pretty hard when the dude crawled through the group of zombies right off the bat, but they were talking about some sort of jammer later that I guess makes you near invisible to them. Seems like it could be fun.

Yeah seems to be the gimmick where having your jammer damaged is what makes them go after you.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

It looks like one of those lovely asset flip indie games.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Those animations seem way off, and when they take cover the character models seem to have hilariously short stumpy legs.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
In a time where 'but with Zombies!' is all but synonymous with lovely shovelware, Capcom really needed to do something special to set themselves apart. MAN this is just a totally ordinary military third-person-shooter, but with zombies.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Levantine posted:

It looks like one of those lovely asset flip indie games.

I was just thinking how it looks exactly like a somehow more boring Killing Floor.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Just finished Rev2: The entire game was just so Barry could make bad RE1 jokes, wasn't it :allears:

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Alabaster White posted:

Just finished Rev2: The entire game was just so Barry could make bad RE1 jokes, wasn't it :allears:

At least you got to see THAT much, my first time through the game We got the bad ending because seriously, does the end of the fight with Neil even look like it's suppose to be an important one? I (playing as Claire) ending up button mashing to the bad ending

Excuse me for thinking it was like Resident Evil 6 where i just had to mash to not die while Player 2 actually does the saving, it's so dramatically appropriate too! Moira taking up a gun to save Claire's life and everthing,so poetic and what not

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah that part really works better in single-player, because the game prompts you to switch characters and it's much harder to accidentally do the 'wrong' solution.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

If anyone is interested in playing thru RE5 on PC via co-op, I'd be much obliged - I've read it's much better with a human partner than AI and I'm sure there can't be much of a market of drop-in co-op at this late stage of the game! My steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/eyherst

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Southern Heel posted:

If anyone is interested in playing thru RE5 on PC via co-op, I'd be much obliged - I've read it's much better with a human partner than AI and I'm sure there can't be much of a market of drop-in co-op at this late stage of the game! My steam profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/eyherst

Be sure to use skype and alcohol. While the gameplay in coop is pretty good, most of the fun is in how batshit insane the story is and bullshitting about it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Decided to binge and get the RE4/RE5 Gold/RE6 bundle today for $24 on PS3. I really wanted to replay RE4 and RE5 again kind of out of the blue, and while I've heard bad things about RE6 I'm still kind of curious about it.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Geight posted:

Yeah that part really works better in single-player, because the game prompts you to switch characters and it's much harder to accidentally do the 'wrong' solution.

The first time I did it, I swapped when it prompted me to, but Moira had no QTE input so I switched back thinking "Oh I guess I need to do the first part with Claire then swap back to Moira" and then the moment Claire shot Neil I realized the gravitas of what was meant to happen and immediately replayed the chapter.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm finally going to finish RE4 after all these years. On a related note, does Revelations 2 have a good weapon upgrade/progression system?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Not to the extent of RE4, you basically just put in weapon mods that mess with weapon stats in different ways (more ammo,more damage,charge shots, etc) and every weapon has a certain amount of slots to put customization stuff in them.

The character upgrading with points you get from playing the levels has a surprising amount of options in it and is where you're gonna put the most of your points.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm finally going to finish RE4 after all these years. On a related note, does Revelations 2 have a good weapon upgrade/progression system?

It's pretty different from RE4. There's no merchant character or any kind of shop. Basically, you'll have to find all your weapons in the wild, along with different upgrade parts (burst fire, capacity, damage, etc) and then apply them at workbenches. I would say that the range of weapons is pretty similar to RE4 though, you get a few handguns, a few shotguns, a few assault rifles, etc, and you choose which one is your favorite. Parts can be switched around freely, so you can experiment and decide what works best for you. Like RE4, there are also grenades (here they're bottles) and melee attacks.

There's also a skill tree in the game. All of the skills are passive – some just give you higher health and run speed, others boost the damage of your partner character, some give you more money, etc. You buy them with the money you find during levels and get at the end of a chapter. It's always fun to level up, but most of the skills are a bit underwhelming. It's not set up so that you lock yourself off from any of the skills, so if you play long enough you can master everything.

Basically, it's nothing revolutionary, but I think all of it fits the context of the game pretty well. I've always liked Rev2 more than most, and I think that while it might not have got a lot of attention, it's worth a second look.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'll get Episode 1 on the cheap this weekend and see if it draws me in enough to get them all on Christmas.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Revelations 2 is my favorite RE, if only because of the large amounts of Barry and Dad Jokes (made by Barry).

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Man I am much worse at RE4 than I remember. I actually died to a chainsaw guy once before the bell even rang at the beginning of the game.

Good times. I've totally missed the cheesy one liners and everything about RE4.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Man I am much worse at RE4 than I remember. I actually died to a chainsaw guy once before the bell even rang at the beginning of the game.

Good times. I've totally missed the cheesy one liners and everything about RE4.

As someone who's beaten the game dozens of times I'd say that first section is probably the most difficult part of the game, because all your weapons are still at their base stats and you don't have a whole lot of grenades to work with.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
So, I found the first volume of the Marhawa Desire manga at a book store today. The very first panel Chris is in depicts him punching a Cerberus in the face. Seems par for the course at this point in the series.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

FanaticalMilk posted:

As someone who's beaten the game dozens of times I'd say that first section is probably the most difficult part of the game, because all your weapons are still at their base stats and you don't have a whole lot of grenades to work with.

As I've been going forward I've found that yeah, upgrades and just plain having more guns to shoot from makes a huge world of difference. I guess the idea is that while Leon is more or less an invincible 80's action hero after a few hours, Ashley being defenselessness is supposed to be your major point of concern.

On Normal at least, I've found she's actually not too big of a hindrance since she more or less does exactly what you command her to do (Maybe my getting the platinum trophy for Ico earlier this year makes Ashley seem good compared to AI as bad as Yorda's though).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
It's true though Ashley's AI was considered amazing for the time just because it knows to duck when you have a weapon posted towards it and generally knows to keep the character out of Leon's face. Plus in many areas there's a dumpster nearby you can order her to hide in.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Neo Rasa posted:

It's true though Ashley's AI was considered amazing for the time just because it knows to duck when you have a weapon posted towards it and generally knows to keep the character out of Leon's face. Plus in many areas there's a dumpster nearby you can order her to hide in.

Armor Suit Ashley was literally the best "VIP"-style companion. Whether it was special cinematics, face guards dropping, enemy heads popping underneath her weight, etc., ASAshley had your back.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I just beat Resident Evil Director's Cut and I sort of liked it. Are there more bosses and/or timed battles in Resident Evil 2 because if there are I won't like it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I just beat Resident Evil Director's Cut and I sort of liked it. Are there more bosses and/or timed battles in Resident Evil 2 because if there are I won't like it?

There are but they're a bit better designed.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

There are but they're a bit better designed.

Well all the bosses were "shoot until it dies" so I can't really fault the design there. I'm generally in favour of enemies that die when you shoot them as opposed to the "destroy the symergy pylons on the left, then dodge the plasmo boulders while the symergy pylons on the right slowly rise from the ground, then destroy the symergy pylons on the right oh and they're only vulnerable to the morgellons gun you have that right? Now then this is where the tricky part begins [etc]" variant that's pretty darn common.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well all the bosses were "shoot until it dies" so I can't really fault the design there. I'm generally in favour of enemies that die when you shoot them as opposed to the "destroy the symergy pylons on the left, then dodge the plasmo boulders while the symergy pylons on the right slowly rise from the ground, then destroy the symergy pylons on the right oh and they're only vulnerable to the morgellons gun you have that right? Now then this is where the tricky part begins [etc]" variant that's pretty darn common.

There are gimmicks in RE2 but they're pretty simple. The most complex one I can think of is effectively a Jaws reference which dies in one shot once you figure the gimmick out. The rest are just 'shoot it until it stops moving/a cutscene happens."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

OK good. I'll try to beat MGS Portable OPS and then probably start on RE2 next week. Playing games in a series back-to-back (or just similar games in a row) gets kind of boring, which is why I picked up RE between MGSes. Also it was dirt cheap like all the Resident Evil games seem to be nowadays.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

ImpAtom posted:

There are gimmicks in RE2 but they're pretty simple. The most complex one I can think of is effectively a Jaws reference which dies in one shot once you figure the gimmick out. The rest are just 'shoot it until it stops moving/a cutscene happens."

And even with the Jaws gimmick boss, you don't necessarily have to figure out the gimmick to survive.

At least, not until you play through the B character's story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

OK good. I'll try to beat MGS Portable OPS and then probably start on RE2 next week. Playing games in a series back-to-back (or just similar games in a row) gets kind of boring, which is why I picked up RE between MGSes. Also it was dirt cheap like all the Resident Evil games seem to be nowadays.

That's probably a wise idea. RE2 is effectively "RE1 but more" and while you'll probably like the improvements it's a similar game.

Also keep in mind that you have to play it twice, though there are pretty significant differences between the campaigns. Most people will argue that Claire first and Leon second makes more sense plotwise and is what later games seem to use. So if you want to only play it through once I'd recommend that setup.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DanielCross posted:

So, I found the first volume of the Marhawa Desire manga at a book store today. The very first panel Chris is in depicts him punching a Cerberus in the face. Seems par for the course at this point in the series.

Marhawa Desire is fairly dumb overall, but it's at its most effective when it's dealing exclusively with events at the school, before Chris is involved, when the most physically formidable person in play is a groundskeeper. There are some genuinely creepy moments here and there.

Really, the horror of the BSAA-era RE games is that the protagonists are relatively untouchable, depending on the player's skill, but you're still in the middle of a disaster and there's very little you can do for anyone else. RE6 plays with the idea a bit, especially in Leon's early chapters, and Revelations 2's "The Struggle" DLC has a subplot about it.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Started playing Revelations 2, and I have to say that so far I kinda appreciate the ideas they were trying out, even if they don't work that well as a whole. The idea behind how Moira and Natalia play could work pretty decently for a more proper survival horror game, what with them having more ineffective combat, but it doesn't really work too well when it is co-op and your partner just can shoot everything while you can only point at them. Really this game seems like it is better single player mainly because relegating a player to flashlight duty while the other gets to use all the guns just seems like it would make one player just feel left out.

Also I like that all of the RE1 references are pretty much just Barry's dad jokes.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

I do agree that the game is a bit more interesting when played single-player, in stark contrast to RE5 and 6, which greatly benefit from co-op. Stuff like switching over to Natalia to spot the weakpoints or invisible enemies feels a bit more stressful when you have to try and remember what you just saw, take a shot and miss, and have her shout "To the left!" or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
I think the asymetric co-op model is a really cool idea and never felt useless when playing as moira. Just add a few melee weapons with different effects and roll natalias gameplay into one character and you could easily make it work an entire game.