Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Raluek posted:

Probably just bap, maaaaybe bap bap at the most.

Doing lug nuts is supposed to be like bapbapbapbapbapbapbapbap, bap bap bap though right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

some texas redneck posted:

My 2006 Saturn just requires removing 2 pins on each side, and the complete headlamp assembly literally falls out, held only by the headlamp bulb wires and turn/park/DRL bulb wires.. :confused: The first time I changed a bulb I figured I'd have to be a contortionist.. then opened the manual.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/kii3m8K.png[timg]

The sedan version requires removing two dust caps in addition. And removing the park/turn/DRL lamp, which isn't shown in that illustration.

I thought they stole that idea from the Suburban? :confused:

GMs are either REALLY hard or REALLY easy. There's no in-between! That two pin thing is used on a lot of GM cars and trucks. Just not enough of them though.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Raluek posted:

Probably just bap, maaaaybe bap bap at the most.

This made me laugh, i'm going to start using it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

homebrew posted:

The drawbacks of excessive wheel slip.

http://imgur.com/S2f8LtC

Sick burnout.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If you're really good you can actually feel the exact moment a bolt is torqued fully, no matter size grade or material. Basically get your ratchet on it and keep tightening rriiiiiiiight up to the point where suddenly it gets just a little tiny bit loosee. This is the threads cam locking into position, now walk away cause jobs a good one.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Geirskogul posted:

Doing lug nuts is supposed to be like bapbapbapbapbapbapbapbap, bap bap bap though right?

The reason I no longer let tire monkeys touch my car.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

veedubfreak posted:

I really like the Tire Works near my house, they used a torque wrench and everything!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

veedubfreak posted:

Holy poo poo, I need a customized electronic torque wrench with a sampled rattlegun bup baaaaap instead of a click/beep.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Powershift posted:

Well how many ratatatatas are you supposed to torque the drain plug to?

25 to 35 ft/lbs BAP! BAP!
35 to 45 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
45 to 60 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BA... BAP! BAP! BAP!
60 to 75 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BA..
75 to 90 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
90 to 100 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
110 to 300 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I torque my plugs to NNNNNGHHH *toink* mother gently caress sonovabitch I needed that knuckle.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
speaking of *toink*,

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Motronic posted:

25 to 35 ft/lbs BAP! BAP!
35 to 45 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
45 to 60 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BA... BAP! BAP! BAP!
60 to 75 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BA..
75 to 90 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
90 to 100 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!
110 to 300 ft/lbs BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP! BAP!

Dude on another forum that had the boosted ls1 fairmont? had the toy football in the rear spring. Anyways has a youtube of him doing head bolts on a junkyard lq4 or whatever with a rattlegun. The comments were glorious.

fe: hah found the youtube channel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1uRGtyG2Ww

Mr-Spain fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 30, 2015

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
https://youtu.be/TsGsN9lgB3w

Ever seen someone pull a conrod out of a header? :v:

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

Sex Weirdo posted:

Threads on the pan were surprisingly good still. The motor is junk anyway, I was just draining the milkshake out of it before I drop it out. I wish I would have recorded the knocking noises it was making, it wasn't rhythmic, but there would be a loud BOOM randomly every 5-10 seconds.

Sounds like half a con rod was still slappin around in there.

My old man told me the best way to torque bolts in was keep going until you snap it off, then back off half a turn :)

rainwulf fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Oct 30, 2015

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

speaking of *toink*,

Plenty of meat left on that one lug.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Mr-Spain posted:

Dude on another forum that had the boosted ls1 fairmont? had the toy football in the rear spring.

Goes by Denmah most places; Sloppy Mechanic on youtube. He seems to know his poo poo, but impacting on a head bolt gives me pause. Especially considering LS1 head bolts are TTY.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

14 INCH DICK posted:

If you're really good you can actually feel the exact moment a bolt is torqued fully, no matter size grade or material. Basically get your ratchet on it and keep tightening rriiiiiiiight up to the point where suddenly it gets just a little tiny bit loosee. This is the threads cam locking into position, now walk away cause jobs a good one.

To paraphrase AvE - Tighten till it goes loose, then back a quarter turn.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

rainwulf posted:

My old man told me the best way to torque bolts in was keep going until you snap it off, then back off half a turn :)

This only works with Snap-On tools.

:downsrim:

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

speaking of *toink*,

Only the day after do I realize these were Mopar 1970s driver's-side reverse-thread studs and lugs. So I am the mechanic failure. I'm real strong though, apparently.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

Only the day after do I realize these were Mopar 1970s driver's-side reverse-thread studs and lugs. So I am the mechanic failure. I'm real strong though, apparently.

Why the hell would they have reverse threads?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

dor1 posted:

I believe the theory was that due to the normal rotation of the wheels while driving forwards, reverse-thread on the driver's side would be less likely to self-loosen.

In reality,

Geirskogul posted:

Mopar

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

My International is like that too on the drivers side. I used my impact and thought they were just really, really tight. Then I noticed the "L" on the studs, luckily before I snapped them off.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Boat posted:

I believe the theory was that due to the normal rotation of the wheels while driving forwards, reverse-thread on the driver's side would be less likely to self-loosen.

Yep. It actually DOES happen with knock-off wheels, though. The wheel has basically one huge lug, and the "spinner" part is actually the nut. On one side the threads are reversed, and if you gently caress up the orientation, or some Jiffy Lube idiot rotates your tires for you...well, there's a bunch of pictures of old 1960s Vettes that had a tire come loose and it ripped the goddamn fender off.

Edit: A lead hammer is the best kind of torque wrench, though.

Cracked_Gear
Nov 4, 2013

I love this.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
How to install a 4 bbl carb on a 2 bbl intake

https://youtu.be/QAbbUrDF73YY

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Was waiting for him to drop a bolt or something into the intake.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dor1 posted:

Trucks and light commercial vehicles have this all the time; lightest vehicle I've seen that has that setup was a late 80's/early 90's mazda bongo van.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Canadian Tire made this mistake on Slung Blade's 66 Coronet, broke several studs on both drivers side wheels during an inspection and then failed the car for broken studs.

I wouldn't say that puts you in good company but at least you're not alone.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Canadian Tire made this mistake on Slung Blade's 66 Coronet, broke several studs on both drivers side wheels during an inspection and then failed the car for broken studs.

Oh Canadian Tire. They failed my friend for an ebrake because when they had the car in the air the rear wheels turned when they floored it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I guess CT is the northern Jiffy Lube?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Jiffy Lube / Harbor Freight combo meal.

e: Joking aside, it seems most like a Pep Boys analogue.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nah. Canadian Tire is like if a Lowes hosed a Pep Boys while a dollar store watched.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Down here that's Wal-mart. :razz:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pretty much. Imagine a Wal-Mart sized megabox store with a Wal-Mart sized megabox store parking lot selling Wal-Mart sized megabox store consumer goods from socks to Gatorade, only it has a name that makes you think it's a tire shop.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
princess auto is sort of like harbor freight.

canadian tire is sort of like princess auto meets london drugs.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Wow. I had these on my '65 Fury. They were stamped with a tiny "L" on the end of each lug. Shoulda recocgized that smooth-rear end drum. drat, but were those fuckers prone to fade. Nearly killed me once on a mountain road.

I just made sure not to lose any of the nuts; in fact, I scored as many as I could break loose from my local salvage yard (along with fuses - I never bought fuses).

I remember having to tell techs at PA state inspection facilities & tire-change places, & even then I had to watch 'em like a hawk because

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Canadian Tire made this mistake on Slung Blade's 66 Coronet, broke several studs on both drivers side wheels during an inspection

I think they stopped that little engineering quirk by 1967.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Nov 1, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Not the most graphic of failures, but somebody lifted a truck up with a forklift resulting in a driveshaft bent just enough to cause a violent vibration above 50kph

pulled it and drove home in FWD, luckily didn't lead to a second picture.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Is that the underwear the driver was wearing when he hit 55-km/h?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

PainterofCrap posted:

Wow. I had these on my '65 Fury. They were stamped with a tiny "L" on the end of each lug. Shoulda recocgized that smooth-rear end drum. drat, but were those fuckers prone to fade. Nearly killed me once on a mountain road.

I just made sure not to lose any of the nuts; in fact, I scored as many as I could break loose from my local salvage yard (along with fuses - I never bought fuses).

I remember having to tell techs at PA state inspection facilities & tire-change places, & even then I had to watch 'em like a hawk because

I think they stopped that little engineering quirk by 1967.

My 68 Dodge D100 has them.