Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

D_Smart posted:

It's messed up.

For one thing; the fact that they need more than one flight model, instead of using data parameters passed to a primary one in order to make the ships handle differently, cater to different play styles etc is telling.

So now they're going to have to deal with bugs, issues, tweaks etc in all these flight models. More distractions, downtime, ire etc. I swear sometimes I have to wonder wtf is going on over there.

ps: I've been writing flight models since the eighties. In fact, my most advanced flight model is in my 2009 games (All Aspect Warfare / Angle Of Attack). Here is a narrated YouTube video of one. Watch closely.

Seems like a fun game :) you should try DCS world which is free.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q15x4qdRAE
if you addet physically clickkable buttons your game would improve 10 fold. Like i have fond memories of surviving engine failures in black shark. Beating aa batteries with proper flare usage etc..

D_Smart posted:

Sounds like it could be fun. I need more details!

:gary: PAAAAAAARRP
heres video explaining the game jam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsL-KVGC45A

and heres the main site
http://www.awfuljams.com/sagdc-x

Heres previous jam's results
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXn2dtPNNJw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXC5iCdDm8Q

Since you have so much experience building games people would be more than happy to accept you as one of the judges.

You can even join the irc channel and meet up with fellow game developers and discuss about making games
http://cgiirc.synirc.net/?chan=%23SAGameDev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

lol if you don't use a random number generator using the number of geese bites that year as the seed to decide who to vote for

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Jethro_E7 posted:

Idris M Pricing also collapsed from a peak of $3800 from memory, down to $2400 for anyone looking to pick up a wild bargain. https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/3qvknw/blackmarket_idris_m_2299_just_how_low_can_it_go/

Scythe's down from a peak of $1800 to $1000 now.

Grey market RSI rate (non LTI) remains steady at about 80-85%.

LTI looking at being "valued" at about $0-$20, with "Limited ships" being kind of useless - probably because they aren't limited at all.
CIG finally did it. LTI is worth nothing, even on the grey market.

Derek Smart didn't even need to try to destroy the grey market. CIG/RSI could do it themselves.

MeLKoR posted:

So, what's the hazing program for all these newcomers again? 20 posts in FYAD without getting banned? A report on the last couple of weeks of ADTRW?

An introductory post in GBS :unsmigghh:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Young Freud posted:

An introductory post in GBS :unsmigghh:

harsh welcome :smith:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Well a introduction posted in the Rowdy Trout (after buying platinum, of course) is a necessary part of process in getting an invite to the private forums after all.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Shiny as gently caress but ill thought through and practically unusable in the real world.

Star Citizen.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
because of Karl somethings posts in this thread, I am now convinced this game will be Good!

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Two days to lawsuit/moving goal posts day!

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

D_Smart posted:

It's messed up.

For one thing; the fact that they need more than one flight model, instead of using data parameters passed to a primary one in order to make the ships handle differently, cater to different play styles etc is telling.

So now they're going to have to deal with bugs, issues, tweaks etc in all these flight models. More distractions, downtime, ire etc. I swear sometimes I have to wonder wtf is going on over there.

:psyduck: What. So, basically, the laws of physics change depending on what ship you're in?

:gary: FIDELITY

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

D_Smart posted:

I have done my civic duty and contributed to the SA forum move to the CLOUD!!

Do your part.

In fact, any Goon who can ID and confirm a White Knight Redditor who is here just to troll us, I will match their $5 donation to the cause. Go get 'em!!

ps: Those JPEG buying clowns have cost me almost $100 in the past 10 days!

I donated :5bux: and I will ID Karl. Pay up :gary:

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Eonwe posted:

im glad of it, i donated as well

Me too. Might as well do this right.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Warcabbit posted:

Me too. Might as well do this right.

and my axe

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Just heard from lowtax if we hit the next funding goal ($50) he will add a cockpit gui to this thread!!!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nation posted:

Just heard from lowtax if we hit the next funding goal ($50) he will add a cockpit gui to this thread!!!

Woah

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Nation posted:

will there be a jaunty helmet flip? perhaps a scarf for platinum ballers?

Amun Khonsu
Sep 15, 2012

wtf did he just say?
Grimey Drawer
reworking graphic ffs

Amun Khonsu fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Oct 31, 2015

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
The current butcher bill of the War of the Smart AV: 300 $
Keep fighting the good fight reddit. You'll surely show Derek Smart! Everyone knows he's nearly broke! At least some redditor posted that. So it must be true ? Maybe?

Raticus79
Oct 21, 2015

D_Smart posted:

It's messed up.

For one thing; the fact that they need more than one flight model, instead of using data parameters passed to a primary one in order to make the ships handle differently, cater to different play styles etc is telling..

Does anything in particular stand out to you as requiring different models rather than different parameters here?
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15031-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20-Flight-Model-Changes
Seems like they're essentially just three different max speeds with corresponding changes in allowed maneuvering thrust. It's not like they're dealing with aerodynamics in these so they're relatively minor tweaks.

Surface flight could be a different story. I wonder if they'll bother with gravity and aerodynamics or just handwave it as being handled by the thrusters.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

I have done my civic duty and contributed to the SA forum move to the CLOUD!!

Do your part.

In fact, any Goon who can ID and confirm a White Knight Redditor who is here just to troll us, I will match their $5 donation to the cause. Go get 'em!!

ps: Those JPEG buying clowns have cost me almost $100 in the past 10 days!

Whoa. That means you've personally lined Lowtax's pockets with like $300 including what they spent

Thank you for saving the forums :911:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tank Boy Ken posted:

The current butcher bill of the War of the Smart AV: 300 $
Keep fighting the good fight reddit. You'll surely show Derek Smart! Everyone knows he's nearly broke! At least some redditor posted that. So it must be true ? Maybe?

they might be fibbing. if derek spent like 100 then at most they spent 2.

look at me nitpicking.

anyhow

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010
Redditors furious that someone else made star citizen first

I think it has more players too?

e: what the Christ Roberts where is my banned av I spent :tenbux: for that :(

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

SneakyFrog posted:

they might be fibbing. if derek spent like 100 then at most they spent 2.
look at me nitpicking.
anyhow

Well it's 100$ + 200$ = 300$ (total butcher bills).

Also I'd be willing to buy :yarg: = Though I guess I have to upload a small smilie first ? And then ask nicely?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tank Boy Ken posted:

Also I'd be willing to buy :yarg: = Though I guess I have to upload a small smilie first ? And then ask nicely?

who was the mod that biggified the first one in the photoshop thread?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

SneakyFrog posted:

will there be a jaunty helmet flip? perhaps a scarf for platinum ballers?

$100 and two weeks

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

SneakyFrog posted:

who was the mod that biggified the first one in the photoshop thread?

oh here. ask this fantastic fun haver.

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Whoa. That means you've personally lined Lowtax's pockets with like $300 including what they spent

Thank you for saving the forums :911:

Lowtax is going to have a coke filled holiday just from this thread.

How long before he reaches Chris levels of coke?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Dunite posted:

Lowtax is going to have a coke filled holiday just from this thread.

How long before he reaches Chris levels of coke?

when he starts selling mod ability for $2000

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

gently caress

I pledged for the wrong goddamned game.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Tank Boy Ken posted:

:spergin: it's :yrag: actually. Though :yarg: kinda sounds better

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Raticus79 posted:

Does anything in particular stand out to you as requiring different models rather than different parameters here?
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/15031-Star-Citizen-Alpha-20-Flight-Model-Changes
Seems like they're essentially just three different max speeds with corresponding changes in allowed maneuvering thrust. It's not like they're dealing with aerodynamics in these so they're relatively minor tweaks.

Surface flight could be a different story. I wonder if they'll bother with gravity and aerodynamics or just handwave it as being handled by the thrusters.

Despite D_Smart's suggestion otherwise, Calix explicitly points out in that article that they are using a parameterized flight model, with tuning parameters for both different control modes and for individual ship characteristics to distinguish what he's calling different flight models.

As for surface flight, since the basic control mechanism for their flight model is applied acceleration, gravity is an easy addition. Aerodynamics probably not so much, since (to be done right), it would require calculations and input based on whatever the physical hull geometry looks like. They could still pretty easily apply the final results, but actually calculating the necessary accelerations to apply would be another project in itself.

Jegan Ace
May 6, 2014

Every non-lethal catapult launch is a triumph

:corrupt:
Have they nerfed missiles in AC yet Octopede?

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

:spergin: it's :yrag: actually. Though :yarg: kinda sounds better

:yarg: seems to be more fitting. Also it rhymes better with Paaaarrp.

SneakyFrog posted:

oh here. ask this fantastic fun haver.

Thanks I sent him/her a PM.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Redditors furious that someone else made star citizen first

e: what the Christ Roberts where is my banned av I spent :tenbux: for that :(

quote:

This is a world of iron, Iron-Blood, which flowing with hostility, justice, helpless or hopeless.
This robo war needs your power and determination to help those chaos war! Choose a unique robo, fight with darkness power!

Unironically better than Gary Oldman's speech at CitizenCon :gary:

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Right now my favourite Star Citizen thing is the people who have bought dozens of expensive ships and now want an infinite number of super smart NPCs so they can solo their entire fleet without ever being threatened by those pesky PVPers:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...-t-to-an-extent

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Jegan Ace posted:

Have they nerfed missiles in AC yet Octopede?

They nerfed them, buffed them, nerfed them again, and if the Retaliator torpedos from the 1.3 PTU are any indication, have buffed them again.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

so as a last minute Halloween costume I decided to go as Ben Lesnick

and i didn't need to buy anything :smith:

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

So you do have a pilgrims cross in your home. Interesting...

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
in before its official

:gary::yarg:

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

:gary: :yarg:
i will look really foolish if this emote doesnt get made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Atheist Sunglasses posted:

you need to reevaluate your life if you look like ben and have people in your life who know who he is.

please go to the gym, forums user Atheist Sunglasses. you have the power to turn things around. i believe in you

• Locked thread