Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Maxwell Lord posted:

Took the plunge and added Starz. I am pumped for this.

Also watch Black Sails and Da Vinci's Demons; two rad shows that are cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just learned that this show is a sequel to the first movie and because of film rights fuckery it goes on as if Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness didn't happen. Looks like they're keeping the tone in those movies more than the one in the first movie. So that's at least a consolation. I hate movie rights fuckery like that.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

X-O posted:

I just learned that this show is a sequel to the first movie and because of film rights fuckery it goes on as if Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness didn't happen. Looks like they're keeping the tone in those movies more than the one in the first movie. So that's at least a consolation. I hate movie rights fuckery like that.

I heard it was just Army of Darkness that didn't happen. Though I guess that's tied into the ending of Evil Dead 2...then again, Lucy Lawless's character's last name is supposedly "Knowby".

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

X-O posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's a sequel to Evil Dead 2 and it treats Army of Darkness like it never happened because of rights issues - Lucy Lawless' character is Ruby Knowby - daughter of Prof. Knowby who retrieved the book and dagger and recorded the incantation in ED2, and sister of Annie Knowby from ED2 (she opened the portal and got stabbed by the evil hand) - her whole drive initially in the series is she blames Ash for her family's deaths and she's hunting him down

Edit: beaten!

Edit2: spoilers, but yeah this

Bruteman fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Oct 30, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Army of Darkness always happened as far as I'm concerned. :colbert:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bruteman posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's a sequel to Evil Dead 2 and it treats Army of Darkness like it never happened because of rights issues - Lucy Lawless' character is Ruby Knowby - daughter of Prof. Knowby who retrieved the book and dagger and recorded the incantation in ED2, and sister of Annie Knowby from ED2 (she opened the portal and got stabbed by the evil hand) - her whole drive initially in the series is she blames Ash for her family's deaths and she's hunting him down

Edit: beaten!

Edit2: spoilers, but yeah this

OK, maybe it was Evil Dead 2 then. I just know they said all three movies were under ownership to different studios so they could only make it a sequel to one of them.

Dead Precedents
May 5, 2005

Precedents come and go, but death goes on forever.

X-O posted:

OK, maybe it was Evil Dead 2 then. I just know they said all three movies were under ownership to different studios so they could only make it a sequel to one of them.

It's poo poo like that that would prevent Ash vs Jason vs Freddy from ever happening as a movie. Even if they agreed to do it, the fuckery between the studios would turn it into a pile of poo poo.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

DivisionPost posted:

Listen up, screwheads!

Tomorrow night at 8 ET, Starz is running the Evil Dead trilogy back to back. That's the original Ultimate Experience in Grueling Horror at 8, its sequel at 9:30, and Army of Darkness at 10:55. And because Starz loves us, immediately following Army of Darkness will be :siren: :siren: :siren: a special showing of Ash vs. Evil Dead at 12:17 AM, Halloween Eve. :siren: :siren: :siren: So mark the date, mark the time, and buckle up for the ride!

I already did my yearly rewatch of the trilogy like last week but... gently caress it, doing it again.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I saw all three movies at the Drafthouse in the last couple weeks, but sure.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Don't forget, special preview of episode 1 in just a little over half an hour!

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

DivisionPost posted:

Don't forget, special preview of episode 1 in just a little over half an hour!

Is it the actual episode, or just the first 4 minutes again?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Canned Panda posted:

Is it the actual episode, or just the first 4 minutes again?

It's the full episode running from 12:17-1 AM.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo, that's a lot of blood and guts for a doll!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

Well, that's setting a pretty high bar for the rest of the season. That first sequence in the house with the cops was great, as was the fight at the end.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I wouldn't say that it picked up right where it left off, but this was always gonna be an uphill battle. Getting right back into the groove of a widely beloved property after 20 years -- especially when your continuity's been hosed by rights issues since even the second movie, and when each movie is kind of its own beast anyway -- would've been impossible, and there were definitely some spots where I thought it was trying a little too hard.

But I'll be hosed if that's not close enough. It was cool seeing Raimi evolve through the marathon from a lo-fi DIY filmmaker with a knack for creeping people out (The Evil Dead), to a balls-to-the-wall action filmmaker with a strong taste for slapstick (Army of Darkness), to a guy that put all of it together and developed a sense of patience (the pilot). I don't think AoD-era Raimi would've thought of the flashlight spin, how it illuminated the faces of the cop and her newly-minted deadite partner for brief moments, one at a time. The new characters work great, and that ending? loving RIGHTEOUS. I could probably complain about the use of CG, but I suspect it's an unfortunate necessity on a TV schedule and budget. Besides, I suspect every other person in this thread will do that for me.

Also, the Season Preview looks outstanding.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There were definitely some fun Raimi visual flourishes throughout. Solid pilot.

Continuity wise it looks like they're fooling around with whatever makes a good story yet again- there's no indication he ever went back in time like he does at the end of EDII.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

I wouldn't say that it picked up right where it left off, but this was always gonna be an uphill battle. Getting right back into the groove of a widely beloved property after 20 years -- especially when your continuity's been hosed by rights issues since even the second movie, and when each movie is kind of its own beast anyway -- would've been impossible, and there were definitely some spots where I thought it was trying a little too hard.

But I'll be hosed if that's not close enough. It was cool seeing Raimi evolve through the marathon from a lo-fi DIY filmmaker with a knack for creeping people out (The Evil Dead), to a balls-to-the-wall action filmmaker with a strong taste for slapstick (Army of Darkness), to a guy that put all of it together and developed a sense of patience (the pilot). I don't think AoD-era Raimi would've thought of the flashlight spin, how it illuminated the faces of the cop and her newly-minted deadite partner for brief moments, one at a time. The new characters work great, and that ending? loving RIGHTEOUS. I could probably complain about the use of CG, but I suspect it's an unfortunate necessity on a TV schedule and budget. Besides, I suspect every other person in this thread will do that for me.

Also, the Season Preview looks outstanding.

It seems kind of silly complaining about special effects on anything Evil Dead related, since it's not like this is a film series known for pushing the boundaries of special effects. Even in Army of Darkness a lot of the special effects looked like something out of the 60's. For comparison, it came out within six months of Jurassic Park. I'm not saying Army of Darkness is a bad movie, it's a movie carried by the story and the characters, and if the special effects were made by the lowest bidder, then whatever, it just adds to the charm of the movie.

I thought the CGI fight worked well enough as a sort of, OH poo poo, thing I did not expect to see today.

Edit: So during the Evil Dead marathon, Starz was putting up various hashtags for the scenes that were about to happen, like #groovy. I hate myself for laughing at #treescompany right before you know what happened.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 31, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Jesus gently caress, IS THERE NEW ASH EVIL DEAD poo poo Y/N?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
That loving owned

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A magnificent season premiere with a perfect ending; i'm so glad Ash is back.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I really hope I'm not the only one who said "Ah, Chainsaw! The great communicator!" when grabbed his chainsaw.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Just to touch on all of the continuity fuckery....

It all can still work if you take into account the fact that Ash is an "unreliable narrator." Between his propensity to lie and the fact that he is, as Bruce describes him, an idiot 70% of the time, you really can't think his stories are 100% accurate.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
That was great! The tone was exactly what it needed to be and the gore was amazing. I can only hope the later episodes have the same quality.

I got a good laugh out of the gently caress! into the opening title.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The absolute perfect..."Oh fuckkk...". That set the tone right on for the show.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

My only complaint is CGI blood never looks good, especially compared the cheaper lo-fi alternatives. Otherwise, this was a perfect way to pick the franchise back up.

Also, I love that Ash is too stupid to pick up on the "jeffe" connection.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Random Stranger posted:

My only complaint is CGI blood never looks good, especially compared the cheaper lo-fi alternatives. Otherwise, this was a perfect way to pick the franchise back up.

Also, I love that Ash is too stupid to pick up on the "jeffe" connection.

Maybe they'll save some of the old style blood for when they return to where it all started as an extra call back? I can accept time or budget constraints if they had to sacrifice food coloring water to have poo poo like catching a chainsaw to your arm.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The old movie cgi was lovely too, it kinda fits.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I... did not really care for that. And it makes me wonder if I was seeing the original movies again for the first time right now if I'd even like them because it seemed pretty in line with the movies. It's been a couple years since I saw them and now I almost don't want to watch them again in case I find my taste has changed so much that it would ruin my memories of them. I'm not sure I'll watch anymore of this show at this point and that's really sad. Again it's nothing the show did but I just didn't find myself enjoying it at all.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That was awesome. Having never really watched the movies (I know) I'm not hung up on continuity, just give me crazy action and I'm all in.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

X-O posted:

I... did not really care for that. And it makes me wonder if I was seeing the original movies again for the first time right now if I'd even like them because it seemed pretty in line with the movies. It's been a couple years since I saw them and now I almost don't want to watch them again in case I find my taste has changed so much that it would ruin my memories of them. I'm not sure I'll watch anymore of this show at this point and that's really sad. Again it's nothing the show did but I just didn't find myself enjoying it at all.

You're just getting old :v:

I thought this was pretty much everything an Evil Dead TV show could've and should've been. Yeah maybe use more fake blood but the effects were always cheesy anyway. What a nice way to kick it off with Space Truckin' too. A++ will watch again.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Axel Serenity posted:

That loving owned

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Holy poo poo that first episode was amazing! Far beyond anything I was expecting. The tone especially hits the spot compared to the plodding emo horror of recent years. They brought the fun and crazy back to horror and I loved every second.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

That was so loving dope.

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
It's everything I ever wanted.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crabtree posted:

Maybe they'll save some of the old style blood for when they return to where it all started as an extra call back? I can accept time or budget constraints if they had to sacrifice food coloring water to have poo poo like catching a chainsaw to your arm.

Given that the big house was in the middle of the woods, I assumed that the cabin had been torn down and that house had been built in its place, which is why the girl that was with Ash was drawn there. Not that it matters a whole lot if my impression was wrong.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Can't really say anything that has been said already, that was just plain fun.
The crappy CGI fits the show cause it has never really had good CGI, I do hope we get more practical effects gore at some point though.

Hopefully it still keeps a focus on Bruce cause I don't see myself giving too much of a poo poo about Amanda unless her and Lucy Lawless team up then maybe.
I don't have much to say about Pablo and Kelly at the moment, they could be fun given time though, it's amusing that Pablo is basically an Ash fanboy though.

Not sure if I'll tune in every weekend especially since it's just a half hour show, I'll probably wait to watch it every other week so I have two episodes to see.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Ash, you tremendous, tremendous loving dumbass.

The answers to the questions "why does he have a copy of the Necronomicon" and "why would he read it, even stoned" is "because Ash" and I love it. :allears:

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

So many amazing Sam Raimi camera shots. Like the "Ash puts his face really close to obvious danger" shot.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Gawain The Blind posted:

So many amazing Sam Raimi camera shots. Like the "Ash puts his face really close to obvious danger" shot.

Don't forget the classic "object flying through a spinning background" shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

Modding these dinguses has swallowed your soul

• Locked thread